Browns win coin flip with Bucs, will draft #3 overall

• Thread starter Thread starter tipyerbartender1
  • Start date Start date
T

tipyerbartender1

Little bit of luck for a change, let's see how they screw this up.

I hope browns don't mess it up but vegas probally has oddds that favors them to screw it up.

Does anyone know when they start the 40 yard dashes and other drills?

The Browns are like 3-0 in coin tosses since they've come back into the league.

Bottom line: You don't want to get into a coin toss with the Browns.

I think they do the 40s on Saturday, Frankie.

i honestly think Randy Lerner doesn't give a flying crap about the Browns now. He is now the majority owner of my favorite futbol club Aston Villa. He's spending quite a bit there and is ready to unload again come the Summer transfers. Right now, the Browns is just a piece of real estate, as crap as they are on the field, you cannot deny they are one of the most recognized NFL teams.

Well, that's what some people complain about in Cleveland, I can tell you that, TM. As soon as Lerner got involved with Villa that talk started. Probably because the Browns were struggling.

I think the real problem there is that Romeo isn't a strong-arm kind of coach. At least not overtly he's not , so the apperance is that the inmates are running the asylum while the owner is out of the country playing with his new toy.

I don't so much think that's the case, because Lerner was runing the Browns poorly before he had anything to do with Villa.

I don't follow Tampa Bay the way I do the Browns, but I imagine the cries about the Glazers ignoring the Bucs because they're busy running Man U are far less if only because everybody knows Gruden runs a tight ship down there.

Lerner is supposedly a fan, has been all his life, of the Browns, I actually think he wants to win I just don't think he's put together the greatest organization to do so. And it doesn't help when your team is snakebitten like this one is for whatever reason.

Well, that's what some people complain about in Cleveland, I can tell you that, TM. As soon as Lerner got involved with Villa that talk started. Probably because the Browns were struggling.

I think the real problem there is that Romeo isn't a strong-arm kind of coach. At least not overtly he's not , so the apperance is that the inmates are running the asylum while the owner is out of the country playing with his new toy.

I don't so much think that's the case, because Lerner was runing the Browns poorly before he had anything to do with Villa.

I don't follow Tampa Bay the way I do the Browns, but I imagine the cries about the Glazers ignoring the Bucs because they're busy running Man U are far less if only because everybody knows Gruden runs a tight ship down there.

Lerner is supposedly a fan, has been all his life, of the Browns, I actually think he wants to win I just don't think he's put together the greatest organization to do so. And it doesn't help when your team is snakebitten like this one is for whatever reason.

Joe,
in the few short months Lerner has been in the organization he has shown he's not messing about. He was fortunate to get Martin O'Neill as the head coach, it was supposedly Doug Ellis' last wish before Lerner took over. He also promised O'Neill a transfer kitty and has lived up to it, buy allowing a club record buy for Ashley for over 9 million pounds. He also has struck a deal with Nike as the new jersey sponsors...this is HUGE. He knows how big of a club Villa is, one of the original founding members of the English Premier League. The biggest club in the Midlands, ranked by Forbes as the 24th most valued club in the World, lots of heritage. There were rumors he was going to change the history in terms of changing Villa Park's name...but thus far he said he would not tamper with history.

So as a Villa fan, I am enjoy the direction and long term plans Lerner has had, what's hilarious is when i go to the Villa forums, they are talking about the Browns and show a lot of support for them even though they suck. They even state that perhaps Lerner is more interested in Villa. Who knows what the Americans are thinking these days, especially with the Liverpool take over. The British have their opinion about the Yanks and vice versa. Whether the Browns can take advantage of this....who knows bud.
its always good to have a bit of a shuffle, so hopefully his experience with how Villa fare's will transpire to the Browns.

I always had a bigger beef with Randy's ol' man (not to speak ill of the dead) as I've always believed he was the puppeteer behind Modell's cash-starved move to Baltimore and planned all along to come riding back into town as the franchise's white knight. Worked like a charm. Except Al Lerner died and I'm not sure Randy really knew how he wanted to handle the team he had just inherited.

The only real difference between Art Modell and Al Lerner (besides roughly a billion bucks) is that the city didn't give Modell what he asked for, but ultimately gave Lerner 10X what Modell ever asked for. It's not like the Lerners foot even 1% of the bill for the stadium (they just reap the revenues).

But that's ancient history. No one would care at all about Randy Lerner or how or where he spends his time if the Browns just won on the field. He's not a miser, the organization isn't really denied anything. If a billionaire wants a couple of toys, who can blame him?

Savage needs a strong draft here, and personally I think they need a coach.

I like Frye. Maybe I'm one of the few, but I think he could have a shot if they'd get him some decent coaching and an offensive line. The Browns' QB coach last year had zero NFL experience coming into the job. With no veteran behind Frye to help him, that's like the blind leading the blind.

I agree, Tip, and I think we've had that discussion before about Al & Art, but at this point, that is history. This organization does need a strong draft and, really, a strong season. Even if they can only get to 7-9 or 8-8 as long as they look like they're fighting and improving I think the city will come back to them a little.

Here's an idea. I heard today that Thomas Jones wants out of Chicago (I have a feeling other guys might, too, given how they're d*cking around with Lovie).

Screw this Adrian Peterson draft stuff. Ship Braylon to Chicago for Jones, hell, throw in Ruben too if you want to, and draft Calvin Johnson. Done and done.

Here's an idea. I heard today that Thomas Jones wants out of Chicago (I have a feeling other guys might, too, given how they're d*cking around with Lovie).

ya, i havent a clue what the bears are doing this offseason. they got themselves to their second SB in the history of that team. while they may have lost the game i still think that this team had all the pieces to make another run at it next year. instead tho what has transpired so far is beyond belief. pay lovie his money damn it he deserves.

Screw this Adrian Peterson draft stuff. Ship Braylon to Chicago for Jones, hell, throw in Ruben too if you want to, and draft Calvin Johnson. Done and done.

braylon is a freak and i would gladly hand over jones for him. benson and peterson can carry the workload IMO.<!-- / message -->

I like Frye. Maybe I'm one of the few, but I think he could have a shot if they'd get him some decent coaching and an offensive line. The Browns' QB coach last year had zero NFL experience coming into the job. With no veteran behind Frye to help him, that's like the blind leading the blind. [quote/]

I agree with you joe. Frye has come a very long way since he was in the league at the very begining. He worked very hard in the offseason to add 15 pounds of muscle and he puts in the hours of video tape as well. I agree a QB coach is a must for a new QB. Hopefully they get someone good to help him along and hopefully he surprises this offseason.

If the Browns have a 7 or 8 win season next year i woulud be very excited. I think a 5 or 6 win season is what we are looking at for next year realistically.

I would not be opposed to getting rid of braylon but for some strange reason i think oakland will take calvin johnson with their first pick not jamarcus russell.

Well, if Oakland takes Calvin Johnson there's a very real change Russell ends up in Cleveland.

If Oakland takes CJ, that likely means that they traded for Leftwich out of Jax or Carr from Houston. That would leave Detroit with the big choice of QB vs. Joe Thomas. If they stick to their guns and take Thomas, that would drop Russell to the Browns and Phil Savage who wants to dry hump this kid's leg like he was a golden retriever in heat.

I fear Savage couldn't pass him up--and maybe he shouldn't, I don't know.

I do know that despite his cannon for an arm, he looks like he needs work and if the Browns are going to draft him they aren't looking at winning anything other than a high draft pick next season--and I'm not sure the community is ready to get behind that.

I think the fans want something. Anything that smacks of improvement. I know I do. I'm so desperate for this team to give me anything to hang on to.

Hell, I was watching the NFL Network yesterday and they had a show on about the '93 Cowboys, the team that won the second SB under Jimmy Johnson. And during that year they brought in Bernie Kosar to fill in for an injured Aikman. I was watching decade old highlights rooting for Bernie--in another uniform. That's how starved I am for anything positive from this damn team.

That's, again, why I'm coming around to Calvin Johnson. I know it's kind of dumb, but I have visions of Frye just throwing the ball 40 yards down the field to a spot and that guy going to get it. That excites me.

It also, shouldn't be confused with what Braylon does, which is go 35 yards down the field and then drop it. Then complain about it. That doesn't excite me.

The Browns are like 3-0 in coin tosses since they've come back into the league.

Bottom line: You don't want to get into a coin toss with the Browns.

I think they do the 40s on Saturday, Frankie.

yeah thats a claim to fame:an_roll_laugh:

Well, if Oakland takes Calvin Johnson there's a very real change Russell ends up in Cleveland.

If Oakland takes CJ, that likely means that they traded for Leftwich out of Jax or Carr from Houston. That would leave Detroit with the big choice of QB vs. Joe Thomas. If they stick to their guns and take Thomas, that would drop Russell to the Browns and Phil Savage who wants to dry hump this kid's leg like he was a golden retriever in heat.

I fear Savage couldn't pass him up--and maybe he shouldn't, I don't know.

I do know that despite his cannon for an arm, he looks like he needs work and if the Browns are going to draft him they aren't looking at winning anything other than a high draft pick next season--and I'm not sure the community is ready to get behind that.

I think the fans want something. Anything that smacks of improvement. I know I do. I'm so desperate for this team to give me anything to hang on to.

Hell, I was watching the NFL Network yesterday and they had a show on about the '93 Cowboys, the team that won the second SB under Jimmy Johnson. And during that year they brought in Bernie Kosar to fill in for an injured Aikman. I was watching decade old highlights rooting for Bernie--in another uniform. That's how starved I am for anything positive from this damn team.

That's, again, why I'm coming around to Calvin Johnson. I know it's kind of dumb, but I have visions of Frye just throwing the ball 40 yards down the field to a spot and that guy going to get it. That excites me.

It also, shouldn't be confused with what Braylon does, which is go 35 yards down the field and then drop it. Then complain about it. That doesn't excite me.

I believe it will really depend on the raiders in the offseason. If Al Davis decides to part ways with one/both of their recievers (moss or porter) then i would heavily lean towards the raiders selecting johnson. Although, with the raiders not resigning Aaron Brooks it only makes me think one thing that they are going to draft a QB with their #1 overall. But my gut feeling is still with them selecting Calvin Johnson.

I was watching ESPN today and they were saying that Alan Branch is a DE not a NT in the pros. WTF??????????? He has the physical size to be a NT. Am i overlooking something about this guy????

My browns order or people who i would like them to draft.

1.) Joe Thomas
2.) Amobi Okoye
3.) Adrian Peterson
4.) Calvin Johnson

If you want Okoye, which I'm fine with, then you trade down.

If the Browns were to trade down, to say 10 or 12 and pick up another 1st or 2nd rounder, as well as Okoye, I'd be fine with that. He's young, talented, and they say his head's on the right way which is a big deal these days.

WOW

B-Eazy ain't goin NOWHERE...y'all need to start appreciating my man in Cleveland, he's been workin like a mutha fucka

He'll be top 5 receiver in a few years...believe that

Before the season he said on AIM he was gonna put 95, 1300 and 10 on the league...we knew he was fuckin round, but he had some GREAT games

Braylan Edwards will be out of the league in a few years. #1 reason - no hands. #1A reason - small brain. Guy was a major, major reach at 3 overall that year. Bad idea. Can't wait until the horse's ass makes a pit stop somewhere else before fading into oblivichigan.

Thomas Jones can stay in Chicago. Nothing against the guy, but he's on the back end of the NFL running back shelf life. The next Thomas Jones is waiting for his new team in the 3rd round or later, the trick is figuring out who it is, but that's not what I'm paid to do.

Word in the Plain Dealer this morning is that Peterson is the apple of their eye. Savage likes him and has dipped heavily into the Oklahoma pond in his career.

Pros ... Home run hitter, speed and "escapability" that you just can't coach. Should make a NFL team happy. Probably would have the NCAA career rushing record if he wasn't always hurt. Which leads to the cons ...

Cons ... Dude's always hurt. A RB at Oklahoma in a good era SHOULD challenge rushing records or something's wrong. They run, and they play more games than their predecessors did. Running backs are found all over the draft, every year, good ones. Tomlinsons (Browns passed on him for G. Warren) are once-in-a-generation players, and you don't know you got 'em until you got 'em.

Analysis ... Big mistake and par for the course if the Browns draft Peterson or a QB. I can live with Calvin Johnson, but this team doesn't need a freak at receiver to win a few more games. Probably wouldn't help a lick. Browns need to fix what's broken. Jesus Christ on steroids and cocaine, on a motorcycle, could not run or pass behind this line. This line put Tim Couch out of football. Tim Couch is (or was) better than their current quarterbacks, but no one can really tell because their current quarterbacks are running for their lives, just like Couch was. But Frye and Anderson both pretty much suck. That's just my assessment.

It's not sexy but the game is won and lost at the line of scrimmage. The Browns should take the best offensive lineman on the board. If they think he'll be there later, then trade down and get a pick, but they better be right. And then they should take another. And then they should take another. It's simple. Anyone who has watched the team, every Sunday, every year, knows they have ignored the offensive line for over 20 years. There isn't a skill position player in the history of football that can produce without blocking.

After they're done drafting offensive linemen, then they should take few grunts on the other side of the ball, because the Browns suck there too.

Believe me, if the guys up front knock the guys in front of them on their ass, everyone behind them, both sides of the ball, will look like hall-of-famers on that play. Why do you think Pittsburgh's always good?

WOW

B-Eazy ain't goin NOWHERE...y'all need to start appreciating my man in Cleveland, he's been workin like a mutha fucka

He'll be top 5 receiver in a few years...believe that

Before the season he said on AIM he was gonna put 95, 1300 and 10 on the league...we knew he was fuckin round, but he had some GREAT games

Well for all the hype coming out of college, it is my opinion that he hasn't lived upto it. Everytime he is in traffic he drops balls. He has been dropping some balls on key third downs. I am not trying to bash him i am just saying that he dosen't warrant all the hype and all the money the browns paid him up to this point.

If you want Okoye, which I'm fine with, then you trade down.

If the Browns were to trade down, to say 10 or 12 and pick up another 1st or 2nd rounder, as well as Okoye, I'd be fine with that. He's young, talented, and they say his head's on the right way which is a big deal these days.

I heavily agree with trading down but now the problem is not that many people want brady quinn. His stock has been dropping like crazy over these past couple weeks. I heard the other day that Carolina has a chance of seeing him at #14. If calvin johnson is still there when browns pick then i really think they should use up every minute of their time and try to shop him because i really think he would make a difference on a lot of teams.

Braylan Edwards will be out of the league in a few years. #1 reason - no hands. #1A reason - small brain. Guy was a major, major reach at 3 overall that year. Bad idea. Can't wait until the horse's ass makes a pit stop somewhere else before fading into oblivichigan.

Thomas Jones can stay in Chicago. Nothing against the guy, but he's on the back end of the NFL running back shelf life. The next Thomas Jones is waiting for his new team in the 3rd round or later, the trick is figuring out who it is, but that's not what I'm paid to do.

Word in the Plain Dealer this morning is that Peterson is the apple of their eye. Savage likes him and has dipped heavily into the Oklahoma pond in his career.

Pros ... Home run hitter, speed and "escapability" that you just can't coach. Should make a NFL team happy. Probably would have the NCAA career rushing record if he wasn't always hurt. Which leads to the cons ...

Cons ... Dude's always hurt. A RB at Oklahoma in a good era SHOULD challenge rushing records or something's wrong. They run, and they play more games than their predecessors did. Running backs are found all over the draft, every year, good ones. Tomlinsons (Browns passed on him for G. Warren) are once-in-a-generation players, and you don't know you got 'em until you got 'em.

Analysis ... Big mistake and par for the course if the Browns draft Peterson or a QB. I can live with Calvin Johnson, but this team doesn't need a freak at receiver to win a few more games. Probably wouldn't help a lick. Browns need to fix what's broken. Jesus Christ on steroids and cocaine, on a motorcycle, could not run or pass behind this line. This line put Tim Couch out of football. Tim Couch is (or was) better than their current quarterbacks, but no one can really tell because their current quarterbacks are running for their lives, just like Couch was. But Frye and Anderson both pretty much suck. That's just my assessment.

It's not sexy but the game is won and lost at the line of scrimmage. The Browns should take the best offensive lineman on the board. If they think he'll be there later, then trade down and get a pick, but they better be right. And then they should take another. And then they should take another. It's simple. Anyone who has watched the team, every Sunday, every year, knows they have ignored the offensive line for over 20 years. There isn't a skill position player in the history of football that can produce without blocking.

After they're done drafting offensive linemen, then they should take few grunts on the other side of the ball, because the Browns suck there too.

Believe me, if the guys up front knock the guys in front of them on their ass, everyone behind them, both sides of the ball, will look like hall-of-famers on that play. Why do you think Pittsburgh's always good?

:shake: :shake: :shake: :shake:

THANK YOU, THAT IS WHAT I HAVE BEEN SAYING FOR THE LONGEST TIME THEY DO NOT HAVE GOOD PROTECTION. I THINK IF JOE THOMAS IS THERE THEN THATS THERE GUY BECAUSE PROTECTION IS A MUST.

Jesus Christ on steroids and cocaine, on a motorcycle, could not run or pass behind this line.

That's really funny, and it's true--however, it's basically been proven that you can't build a line through free agency. And the chances of you building one in one draft are pretty slim.

That said, I agree with you, this line needs a great deal of help.

Which is why I'm fine with trading down. If Joe Thomas isn't there, hell, maybe even if he is there, trade down and take Levi Brown. Bring in multiple picks, again, the more you can get through the door, the better.

I do disagree with Couch, though. Couch was a mistake not just because his decision-making was poor and too slow, but also because he was selected to be the face of a ressurected franchise and he just didn't have the personality to carry that. It was kind of a s**tty position to put him in, because he was asked to be more than just a QB whereas guys like Donovan and Akili Smith weren't really asked as much. But that's the way it was and he couldn't do it.

As for Braylon, I want to like Braylon. I really do. But if he's not dropping first downs, he's b*tching about god-knows what. Frankly, he hasn't done anything in this league yet. Nothing. So to be a whiner with a bad attitude isn't going to help him.

If he can see the light as far as his attitude and he can start holding onto the football, I'll be glad he's a Brown. But if he's going to stay as he is, he can go be mediocre and a malcontent somewhere else.

Back