Browns will listen to offers for D.A.

• Thread starter Thread starter tipyerbartender1
  • Start date Start date
T

tipyerbartender1

Browns will listen to offers for D.A.

Posted by [URL="http://blog.cleveland.com/sports/about.html"]Mary Kay Cabot, Plain Dealer Reporter[/URL] January 01, 2008 06:35AM

Categories: Browns
small_anderson1014ap.jpg
AP photo"If anybody's interested in him, we'll just have to see how it goes." -Romeo Crennel on potential offers to Derek Anderson
Grossi: Four things the Browns need to do this offseason
Jurevicius wants to play one more year
Shaw: Fans not victims
Ravens fire Billick
Browns Forum

Browns coach Romeo Crennel said Monday that Derek Anderson is his starting quarterback, but he will listen to offers for Anderson, who can become a restricted free agent Feb. 29. "If anybody's interested in him, we'll just have to see how it goes," said Crennel. "Sometimes people can make you an offer and you can say, 'No, I think I'm going to stick with what I've got.' Sometimes they make you an offer and you say, 'Oooh!' So we'll see how it goes."
The Browns have several options for Anderson, who went 10-5 as a starter this season. They can:
1. Give him the high tender of a first- and third-round pick, meaning a team that signs him would have to compensate the Browns with those picks. In addition, the Browns could match any offer. If no one makes an offer, the Browns would have to pay him a minimum of $2.562 million for 2008 or sign him to a long-term deal.
2. Designate him as their exclusive franchise player, meaning other teams can't touch him. Last year's exclusive one-year salary for quarterbacks was $12.6 million.
3. Designate him as their non-exclusive franchise player. In that case, the Browns could match any offer, or a team signing him would have to surrender two first-round picks. The 2008 one-year salary for non-exclusive quarterbacks is expected to be about $10.6 million.
4. Sign him to a multiyear deal. That could happen anytime, beginning now.
5. Sign him to a multiyear deal and trade him.
The Browns intend to have Anderson on their roster next year, according to a source, but they're also without a 2008 first-round pick because they used it to trade up to acquire Brady Quinn, their quarterback of the future. Does that make it more imperative to seriously entertain offers?
"I'll listen, but I don't have to do anything," said Crennel. "We're going to do what we think is best to improve the team. As we evaluate it over the next week, we'll decide what that will be."
"To this point, nobody's made an offer."
Anderson exceeded the Browns' expectations this year, and the Browns would love to have both him and Quinn back next season. For that reason, a team would probably have to dazzle the Browns to pry Anderson loose.
"I think you'd have to look at whatever offer came along," said Crennel. "Every player has some value, and then you'd have to say, 'How much value is it? Is it worth it or not?' Then you'd have to make the determination."
Anderson, who finished 5th in the NFL with 29 touchdown passes and 17th with an 82.5 rating, stands to hit pay dirt no matter where he is. Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo recently signed a six-year deal worth $67.5 million, including about $30 million guaranteed. Last season, Matt Schaub, the most sought-after restricted free agent on the market, signed a six-year deal worth $48 million, including $20 million over the first three years.
"Hopefully I'll be back, but I obviously don't control that," said Anderson. "Everybody's going to try and twist it one way or another. Right now I can't do anything about it. Time will tell what's going to happen."
He admitted he's anxious about the future.
"I love these guys in this locker room," he said. "It took me a while to grow and really like it here. I kind of enjoy it. I like the city, and part of me doesn't want to move."
Asked if Anderson goes into camp as the No. 1 quarterback, Crennel said: 'Tomorrow he goes in as the No. 1 quarterback. There's a lot of space between now and training camp. But Derek Anderson is the starter."
So he doesn't have a quarterback controversy? "I don't," said Crennel.
A dilemma then? Crennel said, "No."
What he does have is the envy of the NFL: two promising young quarterbacks.
"It shouldn't be an issue," said Crennel. "Probably both guys are not going to be happy. The guy who's playing is going to be happy. The guy who's not playing is not going to be happy. But it's a good problem to have."
Anderson said he sees no reason he and Quinn can't co-exist.
"Other teams have done it," he said. "I don't know how it happens. I've never been through it. We're functional. He gives me a hard time, I give him a hard time. We both get annoyed with each other. The relationship is good."
Kellen Winslow thinks there's writing on the wall.
"You know how it works," he said. "We drafted [Quinn], and he's probably going to play, so we'll see what happens. Derek's a great guy, but that's just the way this business works. You draft a guy, especially in the first round, he's playing."
Receiver Joe Jurevicius sees it differently.
"I don't believe there's a QB controversy," he said. "I don't buy into that. I just think Derek Anderson's our man. He deserves to be here, he deserves everything he has coming to him. I know Cleveland's been looking for a good quarterback for a while now, and I think Derek's proved that he's a legitimate quarterback."
Crennel said he doesn't feel compelled to give Anderson a vote of confidence.
"You guys are always the ones who bring up this quarterback thing," he said. "I don't see anybody saying that Jason Wright should be the starting running back. But everybody says Brady Quinn should be the starting quarterback. Just because you're a draft pick doesn't guarantee you success in the NFL. Anderson has done a good job with his opportunity, and Brady will do a good job with his opportunity when he gets it. When that's going to come, I don't know."
To reach this Plain Dealer reporter:
mcabot@plaind.com, 216-999-4670

I really, really think Quinn's the game one starter next year, and Anderson's somewhere else. That's how I read the tea leaves.

I also think that unless the Browns grow a defense in a hurry, they take a step back next season. 2nd-place schedule has a slate of teams 30-wins heavier in total compared to this year's schedule (and that INCLUDES that they played 16-0 New England this year), on which they beat exactly one winning team, at home, in O.T. Indy and Dallas, both on next year's schedule.

I think they have so many warts defensively, they almost have to trade one of these quarterbacks if they want to get better next year.

I'm OK with Mary Kay-Cabott, but that article is borderline meaningless. Romeo isn't the guy who makes that call, that's Savage. Yeah, Romeo will have some say, but Savage is the guy who's building this team and based on this year he's going to get a lot of leeway.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Bigfoot go, but I think it's going to be done by the book. You're going to have to give up at least one first round pick for him, maybe two. And I wouldn't be surprised to see a team do it. Be they Minny or Washington (who's never met a draft pick they weren't afraid to piss away). But I think the Browns, rightly, are willing to keep him right where he is if the offers aren't what they want.

They haven't had any depth at that position in a decade, do that they do now is something I think they're just fine with.

But I also agree that they desperately need to address some defensive issues. That D-line might be the worst in football, Wimbly notwithstanding. They have to address that, they would be smart to look at another LB and maybe a safety as well.

Which, if they were to get rid of DA, I would imagine they could do in the draft.

Possible teams which expressed interest in DA throughout the course of the season has been Carolina. I think that DA plays in cleveland next year because i believe that savage will learn from the chargers and saw the significant step down from brees that rivers is.

I hope the browns try to deal quinn. Anderson is for real.

They won't deal Quinn, they'd never get enough for him. Really the only reason they will even get into offers for Bigfoot is because they'll get a lot for him because of how they can tender him or franchise him.

F**k, let Carolina give up a lot for him, I'll take the Browns in the top six in picks or wherever they are.

Joe, i don't know if you heard or not but, there is a rumor out that crennel is dealable, but dolphins will have to pay. Pay what you ask. Well Gruden was worth a first round pick 5 or so years ago, so browns would want miami's 1st rounder at least.

If miami would bite, i would take it in a second.

I haven't heard that, but anybody going to Miami would have to be blessed by Parcells. So, does that mean that coming from the Belichick tree, which is also the Parcells tree mean that Romeo would be an option? I have no idea.

The one thing I don't like is that it seems as if the Browns finally get some success and it's like they're willing to sell off the parts that helped 'em get there.

Why would the Dolphins give up the #1 overall pick for a coach? Doesn't seem that smart to me, especially with all the former coaches out there and a couple good assistants that could be had.

Looking at the list of options, I would choose high tender of 1st and 3rd pick and if no one bites you pay D.A. $2.562M which would be a deal. I'm sure he gets traded though around draft day.

I'm OK with Mary Kay-Cabott, but that article is borderline meaningless. Romeo isn't the guy who makes that call, that's Savage.

I thought the conspicuous absence of Savage's name in this report was a little curious too. An article about dealing your starting QB, and not even a line on what the GM has to say?

Anyway, I'm not saying they deal D.A. for less than what amounts to a big splash in the draft, I'm just predicting that some team with dim QB prospects is going to bite. Since the Browns gave up their #1 this year to grab Quinn, and since the Browns need some players, I think it's going to be a natural turn of events if they find a dance partner.

As for Romeo, wouldn't be surprised if he's high on Parcells' wish list. He's not just of the Belichick tree, Romeo's actually coached on Parcells' own staffs three times. I'd take picks for him too, in a heartbeat. There are media honks in town that say Romeo was as good as fired last offseason, but the Browns just didn't land their man. And some of the same honks say that the Browns are the one team for which Cowher would return early to coach. Lerner wouldn't hesitate, he wipes his ass with million dollar bills.

Cowher and Quinn in '08? D.A. and Romeo somewhere else? Browns back in the first round of the draft? Just saying keep your eye on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also thought it interesting, or at least hilarious, that clubhouse lawyer Kellen Winslow, Jr. has D.A.'s bags packed one day after the season. Guy has a nose for microphones and reporters with pens and notebooks.

I think the conspicuous absence of Savage in that article basically knee-caps it.

I think we all know the situation, and I'd say there's probably about a 50% chance of DA returning. Not because the Browns don't believe in him or because he's not very good--or even because the NFL could catch up to him next year. Simply because they could get a great deal for him.

If they can get a first and a third or, better still, two firsts which is what they'll get if they franchise him, they almost have to take it.

Jamal Lewis is 29, he's got at least a year or two left in him at this level. You can sign him, Joe J. says he wants to play another year, so you've got a pretty solid group on offense. You would now end up with a first round pick, likely pretty high, to make up for the one you used to draft Quinn and between that pick and free agency you could attack the big problem of that team which is defense.

As mentioned above, you'll likely need to replace Lewis in another two years, but Braylon's young, Winslow's young, and the line is suddenly looking both young and somewhat deep. On defense the corners are young and look extremely talented.

So there's really no reason to think this team won't grow into a very good team unless they fail to address the huge holes along the D-line.

That all said, I think they'd be smart to do everything they can to get as much for DA as possible and, if not, keep him. Which is, I think, what Savage plans to and has said he will do.

Here's a team that's had zero depth at this position, so now that they do there's no way they can be excited about throwing that away, especially when they're really only proven at a couple of other positions on the field.

Anderson is proving himself to be a good NFL QB; not sure what class I would put him in at the moment, but he seems to be moving upward and I would definitely put him in the top 15 easily and maybe the top 10. Having a good QB should never be taken for granted. The Browns appear poised to take the next step in their development next year, as the young offense should continue to improve and Crennel's specialty, the defense, can be addressed almost exclusively in the offseason thru the draft and FA. If they trade Anderson and make Quinn the starter, the are basically putting the whole franchise on hold for the 2008 season while Quinn (hopefully) develops. I say hopefully, because there are no guarantees that Quinn will develop into a legitimate NFL QB. At best, he'll develop enough next year for the Browns to be a threat in 2009, but I think it's very unlikely that he could lead them to the playoffs in his first year under center in the AFC.

The one thing I don't like is that it seems as if the Browns finally get some success and it's like they're willing to sell off the parts that helped 'em get there.

Jeff Ireland from the dolphins is reportadly interested in DA.

I wouldn't really like to give him up, i think he is the best long term solution. I know the browns really need help up front on defense but i really would like to give up quinn at all possible because i really don't like banking on a unproven commodity.

My thoughts:

Franchising D.A. would be a mistake. I think the salary would put him at $12 mil/year, and if the price to get him was 2 #1s, no team would give that up. I don't want to hear the Tom Brady retorts, but D.A. was a 6th round draft pick and exposed to waivers in Baltimore for a reason. For every Tom Brady, there's a Josh Heupel, Spergon Wynn, JT O'Sullivan, Kliff Kingsbury, Brooks Bollinger, and Jeff Smoker.

I think the highest tender is the best option. First, the $2.6 million tender is a very reasonable price for him as he gets a 2nd year to prove that this year was not a fluke, ESPECIALLY if Chud goes to Baltimore (or elsewhere) as a head coach. Second, a 1st and 3rd is a much more reasonable price to pay for him from Minnesota, Chicago, Atlanta, Carolina, Baltimore, Kansas City, etc.

Straight up trade. I'd use the 1st and 3rd round compensation for losing him to a long-term deal as the benchmark for what to ask for in return. I would not give up any less.

As for his performance itself, those who say that he is a top 10 NFL quarterback, I ask with the kindest sincerity if you watch the games or if you look at the boxscores. I've watched every snap of every game (obviously, as a fan), and while he progressed nicely from his first full start vs. Baltimore, he was regressing by mid season. The wins kept piling up, as did his numbers, but he was throwing behind and low to players much too often, which is why he wasn't starting Week 1 to begin with. His arm strength cannot be questioned, but the numbers as a result of it turn out better when Braylon Edwards is on the opposite end of the toss.

D.A.'s good enough to be a starting QB in the league. However, with the Browns pressing needs on the defensive line and at linebacker, considering the defensive identity is in question as they waver between a 3-4 and 4-3 base defense, I'd be happy to hand the reigns over to Quinn and get back into the first round of the draft, add a later pick, and draft for defense and sign a Jared Allen, Justin Smith, or Terrell Suggs type in FA.

I'm just glad Chud re-upped. That was a huge concern of mine.

I am honestly a little worried if DA can repeat what he did this year next season, after all, he won't be sneaking up on anybody any more and there were games in his first few starts where he was downright horrible.

That's why Chud was important to me. I think this guy helps develop QBs. I think he did it with Brees and was doing it with Rivers. If he can do it with both Quinn and DA the Browns are going to be one happy franchise.

I do think, though, that if you can get that highest tender offer in there and someone is willing to give up a first and a third, they have to listen. Brady may not have done much, but there has yet to be a situation where he's come into a game and not looked confident or what he knew what he was doing.

Contrast that with DA who, I like, but at times looks lost at sea out there.

how dare you rolub compare Brooks Bollinger to Spergon Wynn and JT O Sullivan. Bollinger has actually had a little success in this league.

Now with Anderson I really dont see why the Browns wouldnt keep him. Hes led them to the brink of the playoffs in his first year and had one of the best offenses in the NFL. I really couldnt imagine them trading him unless they ended up getting a first for him.

team and fans automatically lose all confidence if DA isn't the guy. that can ruin a season before it starts.

I liken this situation to what the Chargers dealt with several years ago with Brees and Rivers. They went on to a 14-2 record. I think saying the team will lose all confidence is somewhat overdramatic.

If Quinn pans out nobody would miss a beat, if DA went onto success and the Browns went back to 3-13 or 6-10, the chants of 'same old Browns' would start.

But the truth is, the Browns have big needs to fill on defense. It's one thing if somebody with the 17th pick in the draft comes to you, but it's another if it's say top 10.

resigning DA is the smart thing to do in this situation. Having too many QB's in this league with all of the injuries is a good problem to have. The browns need d-linemen but they started develooping chemistry last year and really started tightening up, thats not to say don't get any d-linemen in the first round but it isn't the sense of urgency most are making it out to be.

The browns need d-linemen

No, really, you could have stopped the sentence right there. With a period. Or an exclamation point.

I like Wimbley. But outside of Denver this may be the worst D-line in the NFL. This team won 10 games and couldn't stop the run to save its life.

Odd thing is, I agree with you in part that it's not beyond salvaging. I actually think one other stud would go a long way, because then you'd have some balance there and you could rotate in some sort of middle of the road guys in the middle.

But right now the Browns give up points in large part because they have to help out on runs. They have to respect everybody's ability to run the football. So that leaves those corners on an island, particularly without Russell back there any more QBing the secondary.

The browns need d-linemen

No, really, you could have stopped the sentence right there. With a period. Or an exclamation point.

hyahahahahahahhahaha, that made me laugh and nothing makes me laugh, thanks joe. I think they have really tightened up in the final stretch of the season, it does not mean that they should be satisfied, but i think a DE would be a good pick up in this situation. Because with a late round 2 pick the scouting department will have to do its homework to get a quality pick at that position. Even if they get quality, he may not start til the end of the season.

I agree with you about Kam, i think he is developing into one of the purest pass rushers into the league and i am enjoying watching him do it.

I don't know who would be a possiblity for 2nd round for the browns but i know savage will not disappoint.

Anytime, FG.

I will say this, to this point, I'm not sure I can complain about a Savage draft. Especially last year's which I'm starting to love a lot.

It will be interesting to see what kind of money this team has because a wise spend or two on the D-line or maybe even at LB could help this team a great, great deal.

I agree, would anyone happen to know when unrestricted free agency period starts?

Joe, i know this is a little preliminary but i would not mind seeing jared allen of the chiefs in a browns uniform.

team and fans automatically lose all confidence if DA isn't the guy. that can ruin a season before it starts.

Not at all. The team understands it is a business and a majority of the fans realize DA has limited skills. His limited skills get hidden bc of an awesome line, two wrs that catch every bad throw (notice I said they catch the bad throws bc Braylon can't catch a ball if it is thrown perfect), and a solid running game. DA can't throw any short routes and has zero touch. Pittsburgh changed the way defenses defend DA and he was never the same. They took away the deep ball and gave him underneath routes bc they knew he couldn't throw them. DA is a decent qb but Clevelands offense (can't believe Im saying that) hides a lot of his flaws. Some team will be very disappointed if they give up a 1st and 3rd IMO. That is part of the reason I think DA is a Brown next year

good point. I really don't think there's a GM out there that will give up a 1st and 3rd for him. That's why i think Clev needs to and will keep him.

likening the Chargers 14-2 team to the Browns club is ridiculous though, even though Edwards and Winslow are studs. The Bolts made that run with defense.

good point. I really don't think there's a GM out there that will give up a 1st and 3rd for him. That's why i think Clev needs to and will keep him.

likening the Chargers 14-2 team to the Browns club is ridiculous though, even though Edwards and Winslow are studs. The Bolts made that run with defense.

You're saying the Chargers defense is better than the Browns? LOL

Ok seriously I think Cleveland ends up keeping him and the two qbs battle it out in the preseason for the next couple years. Im just hoping the defense gets the overhaul the offense got this past year. Time will tell

i have a feeling no matter what they do, it'll be a long season for browns fans. we gotta play the nfc east and afc south, and our division isn't exactly roses either. we're fucked.

First of all, who is saying Rivers was the reason they won 14 games? He was elected to the Pro Bowl though.

Second, they won 14 games in his first year as a starter. The year before with Brees? 9-7.

So again, why is the comparison way off?

i have a feeling no matter what they do, it'll be a long season for browns fans. we gotta play the nfc east and afc south, and our division isn't exactly roses either. we're fucked.

Lots can happen over the offseason that will make teams like PHI, WAS, TEN, even IND (yes, the Colts) not as fearsome as their 2007 records indicate. Coaching changes, bigtime personnel changes, losses of coordinators, etc... Not saying the browns improve on 10-6, but i don't think it's time to chalk up 6-10 either based on schedule alone.

Heck... maybe we can close the season out with IND in week 17 and they'll lay down for us with a 1st round bye locked up.
:tiphat:

Yeah, unless the Browns improve that defense, next year could be a struggle.

Although, when you looked at the Browns' schedule before this season, it was a nightmare, especially early--and they not only survived they did well.

If they make DA and Quinn battle it out in camp, Quinn could very easily win, DA has reportedly been bad in every camp the Browns have had. Remember, this guy almost didn't even make the roster last year based on his camp performance.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3266794

The Browns' latest offer is a three-year deal worth $20 million, with $10 million guaranteed, according to the Columbus Dispatch. There are indications that an agreement could be struck Wednesday or early Thursday, according to reports in both the Dispatch and the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

Anderson is scheduled to become a restricted free agent on Friday, and he can either accept the Browns' offer, or take a one-year tender worth $2.52 million. With the tender, the Browns would be able to match any other team's offer to Anderson, or receive first- and third-round draft picks if he ends up with another team.

Anderson is scheduled to become a restricted free agent on Friday, and he can either accept the Browns' offer, or take a one-year tender worth $2.52 million. With the tender, the Browns would be able to match any other team's offer to Anderson, or receive first- and third-round draft picks if he ends up with another team.
Here we go. It's about to start.

i would not mind having carolina's first and third round draft picks for next year. I am thinking defense...Or maybe chicago would be interested.. you never know, i think anderson played better than he is anyways...My original opinion was to let him go and cash in on his success

Back