Browns vs. Bills Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Browns vs. Bills NFL Week 11 Betting Preview: Browns Outrun Bills En Route to Cover

Cleveland Browns vs. Buffalo Bills
Sunday, November 20, 2022 at 1 p.m. ET at Highmark Stadium in Orchard Park, New York

Cleveland's Defensive Weakness

It's meaningful to know how teams most successfully attack the Brown defense.

Their success is made possible by the personnel-related weakness of Cleveland's defense.

When the Browns lost Sheldon Richardson and Larry Ogunjobi, the interior of their defensive line never recovered for quality.

They've tried to replace them with a bunch of mid-round picks or desperation free agent grabs, but to no avail.

As a result, especially their defensive line and their team as a whole struggles to stop opposing running backs.

Cleveland's Worst Defensive Games

Given their defensive weakness, Cleveland's worst performances on defense came against teams with strong running backs.

For example, they allowed 30 points and 465 yards to the Chargers.

In that game, Cleveland permitted Charger running back Austin Ekeler to amass 173 rushing yards on 16 carries.

Most recently, the Browns allowed Miami to achieve a season-high 39 points.

Jeff Wilson, for Miami, ran for 119 yards on 17 carries.

While both Miami and the Chargers enjoy good quarterback play, neither quarterback is responsible for his team's strong offensive performance against the Browns.

For the Chargers, Justin Herbert passed for a relatively modest 228 yards while Miami's offense was sustained primarily by the efficiency and solid productivity of its running back group.

How Buffalo Compares

I like the Brown defense because Buffalo's offense does not resemble the Chargers and Dolphins in terms of having strong running backs.

In fact, Buffalo's running back group is arguably the weakest part of its roster.

The Bills tried to address this weakness by drafting running back James Cook in the second round.

This weakness was already obvious given the meager performances of Devin Singletary and Zack Moss.

Neither running back is likely to be efficient, in terms of yards per carry, in a given game.

Hence, Buffalo relies primarily on its quarterback to pose a threat on the ground.

Quarterback Josh Allen is, by far, his team's leading rusher.

Stopping Mobile Quarterbacks

We established that Cleveland struggles against good running backs.

But quarterbacks are completely different. Stopping them does not simply require a defensive interior that affectively sheds tackles and otherwise achieves penetration against the opposing offensive line.

The Browns are strong outside of their interior. They boast, for example, two excellent defensive ends in Myles Garrett and Jadeveon Clowney, two All-Pro selections in previous seasons.

Because they get to depend on positions besides defensive tackle to stop opposing mobile quarterbacks, they can succeed in this aspect of run defense.

Browns vs. Mobile Quarterbacks

So, how do the Browns fare against mobile quarterbacks?

They already faced one team that has its quarterback serve as its leading rusher.

This team was Baltimore, and the Ravens edged out Cleveland 23-20.

In that game, quarterback Lamar Jackson's rushing total was a modest 59, and his YPC in that game remained below his season average in YPC.

Cleveland also faced Atlanta with the mobile Marcus Mariota.

Mariota, in that game, mustered season lows in rushing yards and YPC.

Given their performance against Baltimore's Jackson and Atlanta's Mariota, the Browns look like solid candidates against mobile quarterbacks.

They will limit Buffalo's rush attack, leaving Buffalo to contend with the strength of their defense, which is their pass defense.

Justin Herbert and Joe Burrow are higher-profile quarterbacks whom Cleveland limited to modest or bad performances.

Most recently, Miami's superb wide receiver duo did little against the Brown secondary.

What We Need from Cleveland's Offense

Given the outlook of Cleveland's defense and because the spread is as high as it is, we don't need much from Cleveland's offense in order to win the bet that I am recommending, a play on the Browns to cover the spread.

The Browns average a 10th-best 24.1 points per game. Scoring that many points would likely suffice for a win, and anything close to 24 points would easily suffice for a cover.

In order to accomplish at least a cover, Cleveland will especially need its best offensive players to thrive.

Cleveland relies especially on running the ball. The Browns rank seventh in run-play percentage.

Bills vs. Running Backs

With the third-most yards out of any running back so far, Nick Chubb spearheads the Brown offense.

Buffalo's defensive success will hinge on its ability to limit Chubb's output.

However, the Bills repeatedly struggle to contain strong running backs.

Most recently, the Jets' backup running back, Green Bay's starting running back, and Minnesota's starting running back all accomplished well more than six YPC against the Bill defense.

Nick Chubb looks primed to prolong this tendency and so to do what Cleveland does best on offense.

Best Bet: Browns +10 at -115 with Bovada

Just saw they're expecting snow to start Friday and keep going through Sunday, estimate is 24-30 inches. Massive weather game.

The biggest factor for games in WNY is the wind , focus on what the wind forecast is for Orchard Park , less than 48 hours before kickoff and keep checking...

They usually heavily over estimate the first possible larger snow fall here to stimulate the local economy....People tend to rush out and buy 3 weeks worth of beer and groceries...

Last edited:
Good read.

Two things ..

Minnesota RB ypc skewed by the 81 yard run. Minnesota refused to the run the ball for most part.

Buffalo ran the ball okay last week but decided to also abandon that part of the offense with a DD lead. Very, very odd.
Dorshit and Mcdummy have done this in all 3 losses ( Abandon the run in the 2nd half ) ....
My 80 year old father and 11 yr old son were constantly screaming at the TV the last 2 weeks " RUN THE BALL MCDUMMY !!! " .....

Dorsey said today" they would reexamine what they've been doing wrong lately in the 2nd half" ....Hopefully they correct these egregious blunders ...

The BILLS have had a combined 12 measly total points the last 6 quarters of 2nd half football...

Spot on !!!! Love the snow ...
I'm paying a hefty buck for a plow service now ( no way do I want to shovel anymore)
I was lucky as a kid....our suburban home only had about a 60 foot long, two car width driveway, and it was pretty flat. It was stone in my pre-teen years.....I remember spending a weekend each spring picking stones out of the grass that we had thrown into the yard from shoveling.

When I started high school we finally went from stone to asphalt, and that was easy. Biggest pain was getting just about done and seeing the plow hit your street and leave a foot of heavy slush at the entrance. #$%@!

Current forecast has the heavy snow moving north OUT of Orchard Park ( Highmark stadium) by FRIDAY early afternoon. ...

Game time should be partly sunny , 25-29 degrees ...Light normal wind gusts under 20 Mph ...Only a 12-18 % chance of passing light snow showers during the game....

Of course Lake Effect weather is not easy to predict , especially with the lake being unseasonably warm over 52 degrees.

My BET will be Large one on BILLS TT OVER 25.5 ....Lots of local media and fan pressure on the BILLS offense to score points right now ( only 12 combined total points in the last 6 quarters of 2nd half football )

Says here the NFL (the No Fun League) just decided the Bills Vs. Browns game won’t be played in the snow on Sunday because this isn’t the 1970’s anymore, when men were men and sheep were scared, and will be moved to Detroit instead.

Just another day in the United States Of Alarmists.

Says here the NFL (the No Fun League) just decided the Bills Vs. Browns game won’t be played in the snow on Sunday because this isn’t the 1970’s anymore, when men were men and sheep were scared, and will be moved to Detroit instead.

Just another day in the United States Of Alarmists.
They're worried with the driving bans , and that any of the necessary workers + fans won't be able to get to stadium safely ...Now they're calling for a total of 56 inches + in Op

Buf D solid unit but overhyped a bit at least statistically beginning of season, schedule etc
Extremely injured all season...Mcdummy left the starters out there week 2 vs the Titans with a 34-7 2nd half lead ..Stud Safety Micah Hyde suffered a likely career ending injury and DT Phillips wasn't right for 4 games....
They're currently playing without LB Tremaine Edmunds , DE Groot Rousseau, and Safety Jordan Poyer who led the league in INTS before going out .... Also don't forget all pro CB Tre White is still out from last Thanksgiving....

It's been a mash unit that's played better than expected with all the injuries

What A Beautiful Day For A Football Game If Ya Ask Me! Hahahaha
I agree ...We use to play tackle football in the street in Buffalo when snow storms hit ...

Orchard Park now has 66 inches of snow in less than 30 hours ...Setting all types of records for NYS ..Impossible to even get to stadium, the road in is currently a parking lot of of trucks and cars that can't move....Locals are bringing them food, water, blankets ( beer etc) ..

Extremely injured all season...Mcdummy left the starters out there week 2 vs the Titans with a 34-7 2nd half lead ..Stud Safety suffered a likely career ending injury and DT Phillips wasn't right for 4 games....
They're currently playing without LB Tremaine Edmunds , DE Groot Rousseau, Safety Jordan Poyer who led the league in its..... don't forget all pro CB Tre White is still out from last Thanksgiving....

It's been a mash unit that's played better than expected with all theee injuries
Hear everything that you are saying completely
I hope I didn’t originally come off as I was being a hater
I’m old school and love me some solid Def teams
Buf did seem to me as if possible historical team/Def/etc
I get season a grind
Short weeks/travel/byes/inj/etc
Buf solid AF…all phases except run game which may not matter long haul
Just have CLE as my biggest bet of season thus far
Insane number imo

Hear everything that you are saying completely
I hope I didn’t originally come off as I was being a hater
I’m old school and love me some solid Def teams
Buf did seem to me as if possible historical team/Def/etc
I get season a grind
Short weeks/travel/byes/inj/etc
Buf solid AF…all phases except run game which may not matter
Just have CLE has my biggest bet of season thus far
Insane number imo
You could be spot on Brother ..Nothing would shock me on Sunday in this match up ...Mcdummy could f up a wet dream ( or whatever that saying is lol ) ...

The BILLS backs have been effective , they just don't get enough touches ....The Jet sweep with McKenzie has gone for 13.5 YPC but OC Dorsey isn't smart enough to call more than 1 a game .....

If I liked the Browns ATS , I'd just hammer the OVER 49.5 or CHUBB props ....

Me personally I'll probably be on BILLS player props for a 1 unit a piece.

Best of luck Brother...
In no way are you a hater , you're just calling it as you see it ....

You could be spot on Brother ..Nothing would shock me on Sunday in this match up ...Mcdummy could f up a wet dream ( or whatever that saying is lol ) ...

The BILLS backs have been effective , they just don't get enough touches ....The Jet sweep with McKenzie has gone for 13.5 YPC but OC Dorsey isn't smart enough to call more than 1 a game .....

If I liked the Browns ATS , I'd just hammer the OVER 49.5 or CHUBB props ....

Me personally I'll probably be on BILLS player props for a 1 unit a piece.

Best of luck Brother...
In no way are you a hater , you're just calling it as you see it ....
Mainly playing a number
Just happens to be big variance for me

They're worried with the driving bans , and that any of the necessary workers + fans won't be able to get to stadium safely ...Now they're calling for a total of 56 inches + in Op
This is why weather has become an NFL problem, has nothing to do with players playing in the elements but it would be in front of virtually no fans as they should be staying home but inevitably there would be a bunch who try to go and accidents galore. NFL has too much to lose to put that liability in place. Workers as well...great points as to why it's so much different than the '70s.

This is why weather has become an NFL problem, has nothing to do with players playing in the elements but it would be in front of virtually no fans as they should be staying home but inevitably there would be a bunch who try to go and accidents galore. NFL has too much to lose to put that liability in place. Workers as well...great points as to why it's so much different than the '70s.
Spot on Brother

People are too stupid now ..
One of local 12 year old state champion pop Warner teams just foolishly tried driving south to Nationals in Florida yesterday...
They're still digging them out today 25 minutes south of Buffalo ....

NFL has far too much to lose ....Stupid people would sue at the very least

Reactions: KJ
Good read.

Two things ..

Minnesota RB ypc skewed by the 81 yard run. Minnesota refused to the run the ball for most part.

Buffalo ran the ball okay last week but decided to also abandon that part of the offense with a DD lead. Very, very odd.

They sell like the chiefs used to and it’s annoying as fuck. Last 3 halfs they’ve been absolute dogshit. Hard to see this team winning 3 or 4 games in a row to get a ship.

If healthy down the stretch they could do it. Key injuries all over the place

Agreed but the offense doing nothing for me is the concern. 3 3 and 6 in 2hs with bad bad turnovers is alarming. Allen sells big time in the red zone it seems like. Just hard to see him playing mistake free for 16 quarters. He’s by far the best in the league but he still makes a ton of questionable mistakes.

Back