Browns to start Jason Campbell on Sunday

• Thread starter Thread starter Mokey
  • Start date Start date
M

Mokey

The Brandon Weeden era is all but over in Cleveland. Browns coach Rob Chudzinski announced Wednesday that Jason Campbell will start Sunday's game in Kansas City.

This is as strong an indictment of Weeden as a franchise quarterback as the team can possibly make. Campbell is a 32-year-old journeyman quarterback that did not look good in Chicago last year, and he did not particularly impress Chudzinski throughout the offseason. Why else would he not be taken seriously as a starting candidate in the offseason compared to Weeden and Brian Hoyer?

Campbell was an option of last resort. He was a "break open only in case of emergency" selection. Weeden's play this season gave the Browns little choice. The second-year player completed only 17 of 42 passes against the Green Bay Packers last week for 149 yards. The offense couldn't operate, and Weeden's confidence appeared shot.

Another season, another 'blow 'em up and start all over' strategy for the Cleveland Browns.

I'll say it again, you should have brought in Tim Tebow when you lost Steny Hoyer. Not because this was destined to happen with Weeden—though that's what it looked like—but because if it did, or if Weeden got hurt again, or if a meteor fell from the fucking sky during practice and incinerated your depth at QB, you could at least give fans a reason to go to games for the rest of the season.

Say what you want about Timmay, but he puts asses in seats. But I'm sure Jason Campbell will ... zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

My database doesn't go back far enough to see the last time the Browns lost in KC and covered the spread.

Jason Campbell should be good enough for about 13 points a game for this team. 17 on a good day.

Bigger problem for Cleveland in this match-up will likely be the system Andy runs. Go back to last year and look at the Birds/Browns game to start the year. This was the game Vick turned the ball over five times and the Eagles still won. If you look at the Eagles' drive chart they probably should have put up at least 28 in that game thanks to long, sustained drives that ended in turnovers.

The Browns' defensive personnel isn't dramatically different now and a short, accurate passing game eats them up. I might look at the over here in addition to KC winning SU.

It won't make a difference. Campbell could barely mask his disappointment in having to actually play in a game when interviewed today. Plus, he's never been good. I applaud the move just because you just can't start Weeden again after the last two games and expect the team to not give up, the effort was already deteriorating last week. But my applause is a golf clap, this guy blows too, we all know it.

Hopefully this gets Jordan Cameron going again. Weeden and Insert Vikings QB here are the worst QB's in this league. Their lack of accuracy makes it impossible for their teams to compete

Jason Campbell is an upgrade for the browns. He isn't that far removed from what would have been a very good season with the Raiders before breaking his collar bone and starting the Carson Palmer era. He has always been a very efficient check down guy and Cameron should be targeted a ton.

Not it that it really matters this week vs a very good defense, possibly the best in the league. The Browns really have one chance and that is to shut down the Chiefs offense and make it a very ugly game.

Back