Brooklyn/Boston & Philadelphia/Toronto Parlay Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Top NBA Playoffs Parlay Picks for April 20

Brooklyn Nets vs. Boston Celtics
Wednesday, April 20, 2022 at 7 p.m. ET at TD Garden in Boston

Oddities

Boston won Game 1 by the slimmest of margins.

The Celtics were hampered by unusual circumstances in that game, though, which won't repeat themselves tonight.

For starters, the Celtics played rusty and tight.

Regarding their form, they were disadvantaged by the longer layoff. They had not played since April 10.

Conversely, the Nets got to play on April 12 since they participated in the play-in tournament.

Boston's longer layoff produced a number of misses on easy looks in Game 1.

These missed looks hurt the offense, of course, but they also hurt the defense because they often led to five-on-four situations for Brooklyn's offense.

When people hear about rust, they think of missed shots, but defenses can also be rusty.

An unusual number of instances of miscommunication plagued the defense.

For example, Jayson Tatum neglected to move onto Kyrie Irving when Marcus Smart went to double Kevin Durant.

This neglect allowed Kyrie to knock down an easy three while he was red hot -- while Durant was off, Kyrie was unusually hot in Game 1.

These errors -- on defense and on offense -- energized Brooklyn and helped keep it in the game.

One can go as far as to say that Game 1 is the game that the Nets really should have won.

But the Celtics played as poorly as they did on both halves of the court and were only three points away from winning by a margin that would have covered the spread today.

Three-Pointers

One specific thing that will favor Boston today is three-pointers.

The Nets had the edge in Game 1 -- although they still lost -- because they were unusually efficient. They converted nearly half of their three-point opportunities.

Boston, though, will take advantage of the frequency with which Net defenders find themselves out of position.

In transition, Net defenders will often fail to account for potential shooters behind the arc.

In the half-court, it is easy to compel Net defenders to collapse inside, which allows the Celtic player inside the arc to kick the ball back out to a teammate behind the arc.

Overall, the Celtics love to shoot threes -- they attempt the ninth-most per game.

They will thrive against a Net defense that, in the regular season, allowed open threes with the 10th-highest frequency and wide-open threes with the 11th-highest frequency.

There are so many Net defenders for Boston players to exploit. While guys like Bruce Brown and Steph Curry have deservedly poor defensive ratings, the Celtics allow the fewest points per game.

Philadelphia 76ers vs. Toronto Raptors
Wednesday, April 20, 2022 at 8 p.m. ET at Scotiabank in Toronto

Huge Advantages: Embiid

One tremendous advantage that Philadelphia's offense boasts is superstar center Joel Embiid.

Embiid is, physically speaking, a monster at 7-0, 280 pounds.

He towers over and outweighs Toronto's undersized, vastly less physical, and weaker interior defense.

Center Pascal Siakam, for example, is merely 6-8, 230 pounds.

Philadelphia is getting Embiid in deep position near the basket where his size and strength present too much for the Raptor defense to overcome.

The 76ers did a better job in Game 2 of getting Embiid in good position, which is why he scored 31 points after producing 19 in Game 1.

Three-Pointers

Through two games, the 76ers have made 30 three-pointers while shooting them with superb efficiency.

While the Raptors struggle to account for Embiid inside, 76er shooters are consistently getting open behind the arc.

Of course, the playmaking of superstar assist-master James Harden also helps.

What also helps Philadelphia is Toronto's impoverished perimeter defense.

During the regular season, the Raptors allowed wide open three-point attempts with the third-highest frequency.

Philadelphia's success from behind the arc must, therefore, come as no surprise and one should expect it to continue in this series.

Shot Attempts

I also like the "over" because I expect a faster tempo from Toronto.

Increasing tempo is a classic move for an undersized team to pull.

A smaller team's shots will not be contested at the basket if it beats the other team's defenders down the court.

Likewise, a smaller team can run more to wear down the opposing team's biggest players.

In Game 2, Toronto attempted 89 shots while the 76ers only managed 69.

So, the Raptors evidently want to play faster. A faster tempo means more shot attempts, which means more scoring opportunities and a higher likelihood that more points get scored.

Plus, Philadelphia had, statistically speaking, one of the most vulnerable transition defenses in the regular season. Its vulnerability will help reward Toronto's fast-playing efforts.

In terms of specific players, don't expect Fred VanVleet to miss 11 threes again.

The Verdict

Expect a stronger Celtic showing to produce a stronger Boston win while Raptor running, Embiid, and 76er threes lead to a high-scoring game in Toronto.

Best Bet: Parlay Celtics -3.5 at -105 & 76ers/Raptors Over 216 at -110 at +273 odds with BetOnline

Everything you saying bout Boston sounds perfectly reasonable but I think a big difference tonight will be KD playing a far more efficient game. Rust or not Boston threw some defense at him KD wasn’t ready to handle and he struggled. Just don’t believe for a second KD will have another stinker and I fully expect kyrie to continue balling (on the offensive end) as long the Boston crowd feeding him! These guys know what it takes to win playoff series and I think they get out of Boston w a split regardless of blowing a great chance game1, if KD has a B type game in game 1 nets win, had he played his A game nets woulda won handily imo. Certainly doesn’t mean that will be enough tonight as all your points about what Boston can do better are valid. This just one these classic type series I think going the distance so I’m more betting the series to flow a certain way than actually capping it. Assuming nets would win tonight and then Boston be small dogs in jersey I will be on them when they switch venues.

Gm2 in Philly was odd for FVV, he came out smoking and cashed over 3.5 treys in the 1st qrtr! then went 1 for 9 or some shit rest the way. Seemed very strange for a shooter of his caliber to start that hot and go so cold so fast!! I watched game but not closely enough to really say if that was sixers deciding to start playing d on him or he just stopped making them?

Having had FVV on a fantasy categories league all season I can tell you his shooting %s have been brutal since March. 28% from three in March and April. Might be from his continuing knee issues.

Having had FVV on a fantasy categories league all season I can tell you his shooting %s have been brutal since March. 28% from three in March and April. Might be from his continuing knee issues.

Interesting. Makes sense cause I pretty much stopped playing nba in March! Lol. Thanks for sharing. Makes me not like his over Trey prop as much tonight. I still lean that way but lot of value been sucked out of where it was the 1st 2 games in Philly plus id think trent will take away some his shots tonight.

Why you say that?

I’m personally not saying it’s a good play of mine or anything. I haven’t made a wager yet. Just seems like it’s a very very strong line and a lot of money on the Nets has to be coming in. Nets blew G1, and the line is basically only adjusted a half point?

If Nets lose I think they still have a shot in the series. I think this could be like an arm wrestling contest where a switch goes off and the other team takes control.

I’m personally not saying it’s a good play of mine or anything. I haven’t made a wager yet. Just seems like it’s a very very strong line and a lot of money on the Nets has to be coming in. Nets blew G1, and the line is basically only adjusted a half point?

If Nets lose I think they still have a shot in the series. I think this could be like an arm wrestling contest where a switch goes off and the other team takes control.
Best part is I'm not even trying to be sharp or sharp square or whatever

I liked the C's coming in and thing they are the only team that can actually give the Bucks a series

Guess I ride or die with that line of thinking but as much as I enjoy watching the train wreck in Brooklyn I think this was the worst opponent for them outside of MIL

You know what they say. Series doesn’t start till a home team loses a game. I’m pretty surprised kd had another crappy offensive performance. I still kinda think it be 2-2 after 4 but not exactly the way I thought it get there.

I was just curious why you thought that, for most part i feel like they almost never adjust lines from gm1 to 2 so I didn’t think much of it. Outside of injuries or unforeseen circumstances they tend to stick w the numbers they have coming in don’t they? Thanks for the reply, just seeing it now cause I slept thru everything tonight. lol

Last edited:
Good call you guys on Boston but tell the truth, you gotta be kinda shocked nets got such good games from several roll players, got a 17 point lead, held tatum in check, and freaking lost cause KD and kyrie came up as small as you can possibly be! 1-17 in 2nd half? I never wanna hear bout KD being greatest most lethal scorer again, that was pathetic! Maybe he was when he was front running with golden state!

Good call you guys on Boston but tell the truth, you gotta be kinda shocked nets got such good games from several roll players, got a 17 point lead, held tatum in check, and freaking lost cause KD and kyrie came up as small as you can possibly be! 1-17 in 2nd half? I never wanna hear bout KD being greatest most lethal scorer again, that was pathetic! Maybe he was when he was front running with golden state!
Horford put the clamps down when it mattered

More so KD than kyrie. I know nothing kyrie does or doesn’t do is all that shocking. You coulda told me he would stink it up and I wouldn’t have argued much. I’m shocked KD played like a straight up bitch!

Horford put the clamps down when it mattered

I slept thru it all but I’m watching highlights of KD missing one shot after another he always makes! I see he got ton of points at ft line so I’m sure they were physical with him but I didn’t see lock down d on many those shots! Apparently he ain’t man enough to make shots while he getting roughed up a bit! Welcome to a little taste of what Jordan dealt with, only difference he didn’t wilt away! That was a straight up punk performance after being the reason they lost game 1 where kyrie tried to carry him, just needed him to knock down 1-2 wide open shots and he couldn’t do that gm1!

For some reason kd won’t get roasted nearly as bad as bron has for a few awful FINALS performances! So if the media won’t crush him I will. You ain’t close to a all time great if al horford can keep you from making 1 fucjing shot in 2nd half of a playoff game your teammates gave you a double digit halftime lead! Period. This series might just prove what a front running pussy KD is, sure he was great playing for a team that was great without him! When else has he came up big? Almost beating bucks last year? Since when do all time greats get credit for almost?

For some reason kd won’t get roasted nearly as bad as bron has for a few awful FINALS performances! So if the media won’t crush him I will. You ain’t close to a all time great if al horford can keep you from making 1 fucjing shot in 2nd half of a playoff game your teammates gave you a double digit halftime lead! Period. This series might just prove what a front running pussy KD is, sure he was great playing for a team that was great without him! When else has he came up big? Almost beating bucks last year? Since when do all time greats get credit for almost?
green checkmark.

Lebron deserves all the roasting but KD has gotten softer each year.

Back