Brewers vs Rockies Game 1 Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Bet on Brewers to Outlast Gassed Rockies

The Brewers host the Rockies on Thursday afternoon in the NLDS Opener on FS1. It’s been a long time since Milwaukee has been in the playoffs. But it won’t take long for them to find victory.

Colorado (91-72) at Milwaukee (96-67)

Thursday, 5:07 ET (FS1)

MLB Pick: Brewers ML

The Rockies are coming off a victory in the win-or-go-home wild-card game. Historically, this puts them in a very bad spot. Since the expanded wild card format in 2012, the NL team that won the wild-card game is 1-5 in the first game of the next serious. The one exception was San Francisco, which pulled out a one-run victory and eventually won the World Series.

Milwaukee’s Wade Miley (5-2, 2.57 ERA) is just the pitcher to prolong Milwaukee’s winning ways. The team has won in his last seven starts. Milwaukee is 7-1 when he’s favored. Miley has generated +9.4 units overall and +5.9 units when favored.
The southpaw Miley seems to be struggling for form, but he’s merely battled bad luck. In his last start, his FIP (like ERA, but factors out luck) was 3.83. But his ERA was high because he was the victim of an unfortunately high BABIP (batting average of balls in play) despite yielding a soft contact rate well above his season average and a hard contact rate well below his season average.

The southpaw Miley has refined his pitching arsenal to limit his fastball and sinker usage. Instead, he throws his cutter with 50 percent frequency and mixes in a curve and change-up with combined 37 percent frequency. Miley’s adjustment was reasonable because of how effective his cutter is. It yields a .190 opposing BA because it generates a high amount of soft contact despite throwing it so frequently for a ball. His cutter is deceptive in that he induces a swing by giving his cutter location the appearance of a strike. He does this by using its funky combo of vertical and slight arm-side movement to toy with the batter’s discernment as to which side of the lower border or periphery of the strike zone his cutter will land on. By concentrating its location in either region of the zone, he allures the batter to make soft contact at a pitch dipping out of the zone or, if the batter resists, he can tail it just enough to make it catch the outside of the zone for a strike.

Miley will do well against Colorado because he matches up well with them. The Rockies rank 18th in slugging against the cutter, curve, and change-up from lefties on the road in September. So, even while this team cultivated for itself the perception of being one of the hottest teams in baseball, Miley’s arsenal still challenged it. Besides, the Rockies have been cooling off, especially away from home, where they’ve mustered three runs in their last two games (through nine innings). Colorado’s top hitter, Nolan Arenado, hits .248 away. All-Star Charlie Blackmon hits .249 away.

Throughout the year, Milwaukee has had one of the best bullpens. It has the fifth-best ERA despite pitching more innings than almost every other pen. Jeremy Jeffress has thrown 11 straight shut-out innings. Opponents are batting .132 against Josh Hader.

Colorado’s Antonio Senzatela (6-6, 4.38 ERA) is formidable on paper. Let’s even grant Milwaukee skeptics that he will perform well. Even if he does, he won’t last too many innings. In his last five starts, he’s averaging less than six innings per outing. That means that Colorado will maybe be level for two-thirds of the game. I say „maybe“ because Milwaukee has been hitting well lately and hits better at home, where it's recently succeeded against Cardinal Jack Flaherty and slammed Giants stud Madison Bumgarner. Even if both teams are level through six, Milwaukee has a major advantage in the final third of the game. Its bullpen is fresh, whereas Colorado’s is gassed. Colorado’s top four relievers threw at least 20 pitches in Monday night’s mini-marathon and they get less than two days to rest. The only one of them who, based in the pitching history of each respective pitcher, looks adequately prepared to throw more than 10 pitches is Wade Davis. Davis is the closer, who we won’t have to worry about because Colorado won’t have the lead in the ninth inning.

Milwaukee’s hitters are consistently producing runs. Look for Christian Yelich, who is slugging an insane 1.294 in the past seven days. The Brewers won five of seven against Colorado in the regular season and will win their ninth in a row overall to take a 1-0 lead in the NLDS.

Had to rush to finish this for the bosses due to late announcement of pitchers so I see some basic errors like Monday night instead of Tuesday night just fwiw thx

While I'm not sure I disagree with the play (this might be above Senzatela's head and Miley has produced on the field) I would have to disagree with the statement that Miley has been unlucky. Maybe he was in the last start, but on the season his ERA is 2.57 (35th among all starters with 0 min. innings) with an FIP over a run higher at 3.59 (74th among all starters) and a SIERA two runs higher at 4.66 (196th among all starters). This suggests his ERA should likely be 1-2 runs worse than it actually is. While he has been lucky based on these stats, he's done it all season and I'm not sure why it should change now.

Wow Brew Crew will go all pen actually

Went from loving them not only in this game but to win the NL to hoping they get swept when I heard this. Really can’t stand this strategy and hoped the way A’s got whipped w it today would discourage it from happening more. Now I’ll prob just pass on game and hope brewers get their shit pushed in so we have b2b playoff examples of how ignorant this is!! Plus it incredibly tough to cap! When a team comes into a game planning on using 6-7 pitchers how you cap that shit?!?!!!???

Why would milw not start Miley here?

Apparently the robots told them this was better, lol. I watched these baseball tonight guys go thru what they thought the plan would be and all I kept thinking was if you let Miley pitch 5 it would be game over if they had lead. Who knows how it go with this ignorant strategy, besides that I also kept thinking by gm 5 they gonna be screwed w this approach. Makes no sense.

Apparently the robots told them this was better, lol. I watched these baseball tonight guys go thru what they thought the plan would be and all I kept thinking was if you let Miley pitch 5 it would be game over if they had lead. Who knows how it go with this ignorant strategy, besides that I also kept thinking by gm 5 they gonna be screwed w this approach. Makes no sense.

I mean only reason would be if he wasn’t on regular rest? Maybe I’m wrong, but milw wasn’t one of those teams that did this much if at all this year?

I mean I get not starting Gio as he pitched on Sunday even if it was only 5 innings, but why not Miley? Is Anderson ruled out for the series? Maybe they start Peralta? Just don’t think you do this riding the momentum, and being at home to start the series. Last thing you want is col jumping out early

Mlb network shows them using peralta for the 2nd and 3rd innings. Im assuming this just them projecting as that why I hate this strategy it pretty much impossible to cap. Another thing I hate is while sure it looks great on paper the minute one those guys struggles and you have to have a quick hook it screws up all those best laid plans for the duration as you start scrambling. Oak ended up using closer for 3 innings starting in 5th! What happens if you come back and now he shot? You end up blowing game anyways!!

I’m with you it makes no sense and no I don’t recall them doing it once this season. Even if it all works out doesn’t it leave your pen somewhat drained going forward? And not like they have starters that gonna give them a game they pitch into 7th so they gonna need those guys all series imo.. I think it just a real bummer, I hate Miley and was ready to fire away on milw w VC anyways, now not so much, of course no clue what line gonna be yet cause books dunno how to line this shit either!! lol

I like opener strategy, precisely cause you cant prepare. If Trevino started last night, things could have been different.

If Miley went today on 4 he is awesome, on 5 less so, on 6 UNHITTABLE

Don’t sleep on Senzatela, he has gotten much better as the season progressed. He added that change up and that changed his entire outings now. Hopefully the ROX can steal this one and then we would get Marquez and Freeland at home.

Don’t sleep on Senzatela, he has gotten much better as the season progressed. He added that change up and that changed his entire outings now. Hopefully the ROX can steal this one and then we would get Marquez and Freeland at home.

He added the curve too :)

Really hate the Starter by committee the teams are doing. When the A's did that with the Yankees, I thought, the Yankee batters are gonna have a field day with the Relievers and mostly it was true with the exception Trivino.

Not sure what Milwaukee's thinking, but maybe it's Craig Counsel's gut as some managers say?? lol

I'm leaning the other way with taking Colorado. They've been batting and keeping their timing so they'll hit the ground running. Drawback is that they've really be struggling to score runs on the road. Woodruff IMO has been up and down as far as a starter. I think the Rockies have an easier time hitting as Woodruff isn't a Kershaw, Baumgardner, or Lester.

Really didn’t like rox chances at all in this series but think milw going the open game aporoach gives ya’ll a far greater chance for several reasons. Feel like the pen be worn down by gm 5 if it goes that far, not only that but also think it a bad idea no matter how good their pen is to let rox see them soooo much! Part of pen guys effectiveness is a result of limited exposer imo.

Guess the bright side to that is I have a 50-1 rox future to win ws, and also played brewers at +900 at beginning of playoffs. At least I’ll have one team alive in nlcs! Lol

Really hate the Starter by committee the teams are doing. When the A's did that with the Yankees, I thought, the Yankee batters are gonna have a field day with the Relievers and mostly it was true with the exception Trivino.

Not sure what Milwaukee's thinking, but maybe it's Craig Counsel's gut as some managers say?? lol

Think it the opposite of managers gut, seems to me as scarf so elegantly put it, these managers are nothing more than puppets doing what the front office computer geeks laptops spit out as best strategy!!

I'm leaning the other way with taking Colorado. They've been batting and keeping their timing so they'll hit the ground running. Drawback is that they've really be struggling to score runs on the road. Woodruff IMO has been up and down as far as a starter. I think the Rockies have an easier time hitting as Woodruff isn't a Kershaw, Baumgardner, or Lester.

But woodruff will only go a inning or 2 tops, then who knows?? Certainly don’t blame ya for going rox, I’m torn since I loved milw before unveiling this “strategy”. Lol

No Eric Thames as expected. No Chase Anderson or Zach Davies as expected. But with only 11 pitchers I'm guessing we see 3 or 4 from Woodruff and Peralta with them each covering first 6 or 7 inning combined.

MLB network seemed to think woodruff would only go 1 then they go peralta for several. They had the 6-7-8-9 being knabel, hader, jefferies which if things go as planned early and they have lead after 5 I think it game over. Another reason I hate this strategy cause I think if they could just get 4 or 5 out of a starter every game they would be in position to shorten every game of this series!

i don't like the opener strategy either.

MIL bullpen went from lights out to bad back to great in 2018, but i think they're a bit overvalued. This is what i'm thinking:

Woodruff > Peralta/Guerra > Burnes > Knebel > Soria > Hader > Jeffress

That means it's a 5-6 inning game if they have a lead, but Senzatela has a great arm and can get through that order if he's locating his fastball

From looking further at the roster, it looks like they want to go bullpen games as only Chacin is guaranteed to start g2. This makes me want to look at COL but i'm disappointed Marquez isn't going on 3 for g2. Probably means if they steal one the series won't come back to MIL though with Marquez-Freeland g3 & g4

Gray was awesome after he got called back up from AAA but was not good down the stretch besides that start vs lifeless PHI

I think all the arms can go back to back days except the guy who may go 3 innings. Off day Saturday and everyone is rested for sun and mon

I think all the arms can go back to back days except the guy who may go 3 innings. Off day Saturday and everyone is rested for sun and mon

I agree they can but think that creates a 2 fold problem, one is simply the exposer against lot of good rox hitters, then 2 is that may be all well and good for this series but don’t you think that has long term ramifications moving forward to nlcs and possibly ws if they happen to advance?

Colorado starter on 6. It's his best by far. He has been better away from Coors. Brewers haven't seen him this year. He has been grooving in 2nd half. I wont fade him.

I agree they can but think that creates a 2 fold problem, one is simply the exposer against lot of good rox hitters, then 2 is that may be all well and good for this series but don’t you think that has long term ramifications moving forward to nlcs and possibly ws if they happen to advance?

I think we are going to see a guy like Woodruff or Peralta "injured" in this game and replaced for rest of series. Further down the line a guy like cedeno or dan Jennings can be added.

Brewers had 12 hits vs. Cubs too a few days ago. Somehow only got 3 runs.

Same day the Rockies scored 2 runs and 2 runs the following day in 13 innings. 4 runs in 22 innings? Eeek.

anybody backing the brew crew - 1 nhalf

Yep. Despite my hate of this strategy, just got down on -1.5 +120. Still think if milw can get to 5th it pretty much game over and they can tack on while knabel, hader, and jefferies lock it down. Despite rox good pen numbers still don’t completely trust few of their main pieces.

Which side we like tonight?

Braves, think going Ryu instead of Kershaw here gives ATL a chance and is such a stupid thing to do

I think we are going to see a guy like Woodruff or Peralta "injured" in this game and replaced for rest of series. Further down the line a guy like cedeno or dan Jennings can be added.

thought you can't replace players until the next series?

Damn, kept Otto out there too long and should have pitched around Moose there, oh well, Brewers just spent a lot of their pen opening game.

Back