Brewers vs Nationals Preview Article (Tuesday)

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Scoreboard Will Suffer Dystrophy in Brewers-Nats Duel

Don’t miss the collision between two strong „under“ teams when Milwaukee hosts Washington on Tuesday at 8:10 ET on the MLB Network.

Nationals at Brewers

Tuesday, 8:10 ET (MLB Network)

MLB Pick: 1H Under

Bettors would be wealthier if they bet more often on Washington’s Jeremy Hellickson (4-1, 3.29 ERA) than superstar Max Scherzer. Hellickson is actually his team's most profitable starting pitcher, yielding +5.70 units. The under is hitting in 76.9% of his starts. He’s enjoying strong form, having allowed one run in his past two starts combined.

The reason that Hellickson is so profitable for backers and „under“ bettors is that oddsmakers couldn’t have known how good he would be this season. Last season, his FIP (like ERA, but factors out luck) was 5.77. In his career, it’s 4.47. But this season, his FIP is 3.80. He’s surrendering fewer walks, home runs, and hard contact. The key statistic is his career-high 69.3% first-strike rate. Starting ahead in the count is significant for a pitcher because it gives him more control in an at-bat, a greater flexibility in pitch usage and location. In the MLB, batters are slugging .575 in an 0-0 count. This number drops to .494 in an 0-1 count.

Hellickson relies on five different pitches with over 10% frequency and not one with more than 25% frequency. Getting ahead of the count more often has created positive results for his pitches. For example, his opposing fastball BA was .228 last season and he has brought that number to .136. When the batter is ahead in the count, he has always been relatively predictable, leaning on his fastball over 40% of the time. But when he’s ahead of the count, he relies on his fastball less than 20% of the time so that opponents are unable to sit on it. Hellickson’s improved variety makes him less predictable and therefore harder to hit.

He is in a good spot to perform well today. Hellickson’s career FIP is at its best in July, where he’s 16-5. His career ERA is 3.03 with six days’ rest. Meanwhile, the Brewers’ slump continues. Since July 11, they’ve repeatedly lost and failed to score more than three runs. Christian Yelich and Lorenzo Cain have been strong components of Milwaukee's lineup, but the rest have struggled. Yelich and Cain accounted for four of the team's six hits on Sunday, three of seven on Saturday, and the tendency continues. The „under“ is hitting in 56% of Milwaukee’s home games.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Milwaukee’s Junior Guerra (6-6, 3.23 ERA) has likewise been a positive surprise. The „under“ is hitting in 70% of his home games. He’s brought his FIP down from 6.58 last season to 3.97 this season. He’s conceded two runs combined in his last three home starts and is 3-0 with a 2.72 ERA in his career with six days’ rest.

Guerra relies primarily on a fastball-sinker combo. They make up 70% of his pitching arsenal. He also mixes in a slider and splitter. Guerra has strongly improved the velocity of all his pitches. Although it’s not one of his primary pitches, the slider has been huge for Guerra. Last season, opponents slugged .308 against it, but he has cut that number to .156 this season. His slider is a case of „less is more.“ He throws it less often overall, but more often when it counts. He’s doubled its usage with two strikes against same-handed batters, which makes sense because it’s his second-favorite whiff pitch. Its lower vertical release point makes it harder for batters to track.

In July, Washington hitters rank average in slugging against Guerra’s two favorite pitches, the fastball and sinker from righties, and 21st away from home. The „under“ is hitting in 66% of their road games. Bryce Harper, Anthony Rendon, and Ryan Zimmerman are combined 1-for-10 against Guerra.

Whether FG or 1H under depends on bullpen usage in game before. Obviously Brewers pen is very solid.

Obviously team rhythm a big part of cap. Will be pissed if Brewers/Nats hitting looks good on Monday lol

Guerra has some sort of forearm injury so I would be wary of him. He struggled in his last start against Pittsburgh before going on the DL. Hellickson is having a good year but I still think he sucks. Luckily for him the Brewers lineup goes about 4 deep so he will probably pitch well against us.

The Brewers bullpen was great most of the first half but they are fading big time lately. Hader and Jeffress are both extremely trustworthy but Knebel has been pretty bad as of late. Burnes is a great young pitcher who is being wasted in the bullpen and the rest of the guys are pretty bad.

Milwaukee hit well last night lol. Hopefully they don't make it two in a row. But i'm not going to go crazy over them hitting friggin Gio Gonzalez lol. Pretty sure the Tennessee Titans would slug him well.

Last edited:
Hellickson has done some of his best work this season over his last two starts. Opposing batters have managed just a run on 4-for-36 hitting over 11 innings of work, lowering his ERA to 3.29 for the year.
In six career starts against Milwaukee, Hellickson is 3-1 with a 4.09 ERA.
Trea Turner likely will sit Tuesday's contest out. The shortstop drew manager Dave Martinez's ire after throwing his helmet and walking off the field following a botched bunt attempt despite the ball still being in play.

no Turner from what it sounds like, i'm a bit nervous about Guerra's health like was mentioned above.

Hellboy getting ahead with a fastball or is he as difficult to figure first-pitch too?

no Turner from what it sounds like, i'm a bit nervous about Guerra's health like was mentioned above.

Hellboy getting ahead with a fastball or is he as difficult to figure first-pitch too?

Great first-pitch variety. Everything but cutter to righties fair game. Nothing more than 36% (sinker to righty)

Lmao. No shit. Not to take anything away from our rookie pitchers but something seriously wrong with reds offense being no hit for 12 innings and counting by our youngsters in their 1st mlb starts! Lol

Meh surprise element? Same shit happens to our lineup? Granted it def has a lot wrong with it lol

Meh surprise element? Same shit happens to our lineup? Granted it def has a lot wrong with it lol

Well yea our lineup kinda sucks plus they incredibly reliant on film so no film leaves them looking baffled! Lol. Hoping getting rid of the 2 M&M morons corrects that somewhat!

Well I knew this lead wouldn’t hold up when pen came in, didn’t even take that long. We basically beat now, ugh.

FUck the Reds. Gotta be the most classless franchise out there to pull the fucking fire alarm when another pitcher has a no-hitter going

What happened?

When Gomber stepped to mound the fire alarm went off causing delay he had to step back off then go back on, throw random warm up pitches here and there. Ridiculously frustrating. Timing couldn't have been more intentional.

When Gomber stepped to mound the fire alarm went off causing delay he had to step back off then go back on, throw random warm up pitches here and there. Ridiculously frustrating. Timing couldn't have been more intentional.

I’m just seeing them talk bout it, guess it happened while I was outside smoking. That pretty messed up! Wish they would have did it way earlier to give my over a chance!! Lol

So now we don’t have Martinez bat rest of night cause we changed for defensive purposes? I really hate doing that in a close game, inevitably it gets tied up then our best bat out of lineup. Either you let guy play and deal w the shoddy defense or ya don’t!

So now we don’t have Martinez bat rest of night cause we changed for defensive purposes? I really hate doing that in a close game, inevitably it gets tied up then our best bat out of lineup. Either you let guy play and deal w the shoddy defense or ya don’t!

We figured on holding lead I guess...and fire alarm not fucking going off into seventh inning

Why the hell would there be a delay in milw? They have a roof!!! My score page says delay??

Brewers inducted Geoff Jenkins into their Walk of Fame tonight along with two former GMs and Prince Fielder into their Wall of Honor. They had a pregame ceremony that was intentionally scheduled to push the game time back.

Brewers inducted Geoff Jenkins into their Walk of Fame tonight along with two former GMs and Prince Fielder into their Wall of Honor. They had a pregame ceremony that was intentionally scheduled to push the game time back.

Oh shit did I miss George Owens from Mr Belvedere (Bob Uecker) :(

Back