Brewers vs Cardinals Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Let's Drink to a Brewers Win vs St Louis in Series Finale

Milwaukee looks to prolong its hot start against the NL Central rival Cardinals today at 7:40 ET. Can the Cards avenge last night's late-inning loss behind its ace?

Milwaukee Brewers (4-1) vs St. Louis Cardinals (2-3)

MLB Pick: Milwaukee Brewers ML

Carlos Martinez' (0-1, 8.31 ERA) opening day start was not exactly ace material. At the New York Mets, he struggled with command, walking six batters while only striking out five. Last season he had an ERA of over 5 in the first inning, so check out a 'Brewers score first' prop. Against the Mets he was poor in the first inning and continued to struggle throughout the 4.1 innings in which he pitched, giving up four earned runs in a losing effort. I fully expect the Cards' ace to return to form, but Milwaukee's Miller Park is not the place for him to improve. Last season, he performed well against Milwaukee in St. Louis but it was a different story whenever he pitched in Milwaukee. In three games at Miller Park, Martinez allowed 11 earned runs in 15.2 innings and lost each of those games.

Miller Park is very favorable toward left-handed batters. It ranks consistently among leading stadiums in terms of left-handed power. This stadium feature is important because Martinez tends to struggle against left-handed hitters. Right-handed pitchers typically do worse against lefties than righties, sure, but with Martinez the weakness has created a relatively disturbing statistic throughout his career. Against him, left-handed batters are slugging .105 higher than right-handed batters and their average is .43 higher. So watch out for Travis Shaw, Eric Thames and Christian Yelich, who are a combined 10-for-26 against Martinez in their career and are slugging very strongly at this part of the season.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jhoulys Chacin (0-0 10.80 ERA) counters for Milwaukee. The former Padre is known for his breaking pitches, inducing a high ground ball rate and allowing notoriously few home runs. His home runs allowed statistics is very impressive considering the amount of time he spent in Colorado, whose Coors Field is known for seeing a lot of home runs. Whereas Martinez allowed a career-high in home runs allowed per nine innings last year and is still working with his new pitching coach on improving that number, Chacin has been consistent the past two years in not allowing too many home runs. He ranks 16th among active pitchers in the category (HR/9 allowed), ahead of studs like Madison Bumgarner and Chris Sale. Chacin's pitching strength--keeping the ball down--gives Milwaukee another power edge against Martinez in Miller Park. Furthermore, Chacin does share Martinez' weakness against left-handed batters, but the weakness isn't statistically so pronounced. Also, unlike the case with Milwaukee's batters, St. Louis' top batters are not left-handed hitters. So Milwaukee's batters will more fully be able to exploit the weakness of their opposing pitcher.

Bullpen gives another edge to Milwaukee and not just because the Cards' pen surrendered four late runs last night to allow the Brewers to win in comeback fashion. The Brewers' bullpen ranked 9th last year in ERA despite playing in a very hitter-friendly park. Corey Knebel has established himself as a reliable closer, earning 39 saves and a 1.78 ERA last year. Jacob Barnes is one strong reliever who has a perfect ERA so far and didn't allow a single run to St. Louis last year in Miller Park. Josh Hader, who achieved a 2.08 ERA last year and is still perfect this year, is another solid option out of the pen.

If you’re passing on the cards and they are your team then I’ll pass on them too. GL

I look to bet the dog. Ive only laid chalk in one pick so far (and won). I almost wanna say you should rather autö-tail me if I lay chalk than fade my friends lol. I think +117 is a good deal. What do you like in Cards?

I look to bet the dog. Ive only laid chalk in one pick so far (and won). I almost wanna say you should rather autö-tail me if I lay chalk than fade my friends lol. I think +117 is a good deal. What do you like in Cards?

Was more a fade of Chacin. Only pitched into the 3rd at SD getting tagged for 7 hits and 4 runs, including 2 HR in his first start

Was more a fade of Chacin. Only pitched into the 3rd at SD getting tagged for 7 hits and 4 runs, including 2 HR in his first start

Im just hoping he had some jitters vs his old friends who know him well. Ground ball pitchers are made for millers park like jimmy nelson. Idk was his velocity really low or something indicating a deeper issue?

Ugh it was like do i go with gut and bet chalk on a team that had tough loss or go with matchup. This is tough part of article-writing the former strategy doesn‘t take up much space lol

Carlos actually being efficient tonight. Hoping he gives it up after 1st 5 as I nibbled on ff rl and played over 9. Figured even if he good would only go 6 tops, than matheny and pen will botch it! lol

You hear these assholes sent Flarhery down already and waino back already? Kinda sucks I think.

Yea i was pissed when i heard that! Thought about what you said about matheny trusting vets too much. Fucking bs flaherty beasted in his first start and his reward is back to the minors. Meanwhile washed up vet. I speculate cards trying to sell a few extra seats for their fat non-spending pockets by having icon on opening day! dont disappoint waino!

Yea i was pissed when i heard that! Thought about what you said about matheny trusting vets too much. Fucking bs flaherty beasted in his first start and his reward is back to the minors. Meanwhile washed up vet. I speculate cards trying to sell a few extra seats for their fat non-spending pockets by having icon on opening day! dont disappoint waino!

Well shit, that little more extreme than I would have went! Lol. But I feel ya. I don't think they really have to do anything of the sort to sell tix on opening day, im assuming it probably a sellout right? Maybe later in the year if season in the toilet!!

I'm really not against waino getting a chance to bounce back this year, we are paying him like 19 mil after all!! and the initial plan all along was for him to get the home opener start and I'm ok with that, I think he has done enough for us to have earned that and his velo was back up around low 90s this spring (opposed to the dreadful 80s he was living in before being shut down last year). I'm just little annoyed Flarhery getting booted from rotation already, I'm sure he will be back at some point, guess my biggest worry in what will prob be a tight race to make playoffs is how many games will we piss away having less talented guy than Flarhery start?

Last line exactly. Was same exact thing two years ago when we kept bringing in Rosenthal. How much will managerial vet stubbornness cost us!

Back