Brewers sign Jeff Suppan

• Thread starter Thread starter signalcaller
  • Start date Start date
S

signalcaller

4 years 42 million. Great signing for the Brewers and i would now argue they have the best starting rotation in the NL Central
Sheets
Capuano
Suppan
Dave Bush
Carlos Villanueva/Claudio Vargas

Glad to see Melvin spending some cash. I think you're right about the best rotation in the central. (made the same thread on covers) Thing is Sheets has got stay healthy. Man, its nice to get rid of walk machine Davis too. As long as Milwaukee beats out Chicago once again its a moral victory.

At almost 10 million a year I think they over payed, but it was something they needed to do. They upgraded the rotation from last year and by trading Davis they got a solid past All-Star catcher. Now if the Brewers can trade Mench or Jenkins I'll be ecstatic

hey...the brewers stepped up to the plate, and spent some money for a change. can't fault them for that...can only applaud the effort.

and it's only normal to have to "overpay" to get a FA to come to a market like this. it's not like milwaukee was one of Suppan's top ten on his FA wish list to his agent...if even top 20.

Yanks26Sox6 said:
hey...the brewers stepped up to the plate, and spent some money for a change. can't fault them for that...can only applaud the effort.

and it's only normal to have to "overpay" to get a FA to come to a market like this. it's not like milwaukee was one of Suppan's top ten on his FA wish list to his agent...if even top 20.

I actually think its a very good spot for Suppan. He stays in the division where he knows most of the guys well, he pitches well at Miller Park, and he's on argueably the best team in the NL central. St. Louis is really going to struggle without pitching. Houston added Carlos Lee, but has no pitching (especially if Clemens doesn't come back), Pittsburgh is Pittsburgh, Cincy was a one year wonder and they're always injury concerns, and who knows how that Cubs team is going to come together. They could be awesome or absolutely suck.

Fondy hit the nail on the head. Soup knows NL central well. He will have a winning record. Sheets health is the key. Oh yeah, Cubs suck.

Fondybadger said:
I actually think its a very good spot for Suppan. He stays in the division where he knows most of the guys well, he pitches well at Miller Park, and he's on argueably the best team in the NL central. St. Louis is really going to struggle without pitching. Houston added Carlos Lee, but has no pitching (especially if Clemens doesn't come back), Pittsburgh is Pittsburgh, Cincy was a one year wonder and they're always injury concerns, and who knows how that Cubs team is going to come together. They could be awesome or absolutely suck.

yup hit the nail on the head with that statement. Goes to show how shit the NL Central really is. :moosefukin:

Tmike - I'm thinking an 82-80 record for the Crew may win it for them... lol

Baseball America predicted the Brewers to lose to the Dodgers in the League Championship series in early 2004 for this season. Interesting read if I can find it. They had Corey Hart and Brad Nelson I think in the outfield. With Jeff Niemann or one of those other guys from his college (drawing a blank right now) leading the staff with Sheets and we had a big name free agent too...

Fondybadger said:
Tmike - I'm thinking an 82-80 record for the Crew may win it for them... lol

Baseball America predicted the Brewers to lose to the Dodgers in the League Championship series in early 2004 for this season. Interesting read if I can find it. They had Corey Hart and Brad Nelson I think in the outfield. With Jeff Niemann or one of those other guys from his college (drawing a blank right now) leading the staff with Sheets and we had a big name free agent too...

I actually thought the Brew Crew would of had a good chance last season. But thus with Sheets being such a liability its so unpredictable. The smartest thing the Brewers did in the last few years was getting rid of Victor Santos. Oh man did that guy ever suck! I'm not so sure how long Koskie will last, really not my cup of tea. I would definitely like a little shuffle in the Central cause i'm sick of seeing the same useless teams up there.

j/k :shake:

Seriously how many years has the east looked liked this at the end?

NY
Boston
Toronto
Baltimore
Tampa Bay

apparently you didn't get the point when i said the NL Central is the worse division in the League.

Ummm actually the Jays finished atop the BoSox thank you very much and and please tell me how often have the Brewers finished above .500? Yeah exactly. When you are barely around the .500 mark and yet still miraculously are able to compete for the playoffs...goes to show how week a conference it is. For anyone in the AL East to win that division, you got to be consistantly be at the .600 mark.

sleep2.gif

BTW its division not conference.

Back