Brewers lock up Braun through 2015 with $45 million deal

Fondybadger

CTG Partner
MILWAUKEE -- The Milwaukee Brewers signed 2007 NL Rookie of the Year Ryan Braun to an eight-year, $45 million contract.The contract includes this season and a seven-year extension, meaning Braun will not be eligible for free agency until after the 2015 season, general manager Doug Melvin announced Thursday.
The deal exceeds the six-year, $31 million contract signed by Rockies shortstop Troy Tulowitzki, who fell short in the rookie balloting.
Braun hit .324 with 34 homers and 97 RBIs last season after a May 26 callup. He has hit nine homers and driven in 29 runs so far this season, batting .287.

:5_5_138::line::bow:

One down 2 more to go. Thats a hell of a steal for the Brewers in my opinion. Thought he would be getting 9 or 10 million per.

Good job by the brewers on this. Braun is so much better at the plate than tulowitzki its sick.

In a related story , Braun has been working on a two-seam fastball in an attempt to land the closer job.

The deal may be worth 51 million if he becomes a super 2 arby eligible in 2010 (depends on what other players service time). Highly doubtful that happens though.

Deal covers all his arbitration years and his first 2 years of free agency. Now lets lock up Prince and Weeks. Hardy I feel may be the odd man out...

this deal and the hanley ramirez deal are setting the table or free agent signings

In my opinion the guys who deserve to get paid are getting the money, unlike Suppan at 4 years for 42 million or some of those other horrible deals. Don't really think this effects true free agents that much, not after Howard's 12 million arby deal. Market correcting itself a bit, and I love players/teams reaching an agreement instead of having to go to a panel

love players/teams reaching an agreement instead of having to go to a panel

So true Fondy. I think the players tend to perform better when this happens as well. Arbitration can sometimes lead to hard feelings.

locking him up? Are you saying he will want to leave after year 2 of the new contract?

:36_11_6: to VK for the closer reference. I think you should fire Ned Yost 'cuz he fucked my fantasy team leaving sheets in too long. If he gives up 2 shots and then another run, IT MAY BE TIME TO TAKE HIM OUT! FUCK!

Back