Brewers/Cardinals & Blue Jays/Angels Parlay Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
MLB Parlay for May 26: A Bet That Pays (+339)

Milwaukee Brewers vs. St. Louis Cardinals
Thursday, May 26, 2022 at 7:45 p.m. ET at Busch Stadium in St. Louis

Who Is Starting for Milwaukee?

On the surface, Brewer starter Eric Lauer looks like a dangerous pitcher to go against.

While his 2.16 ERA is great, it masks a somewhat worse 3.36 FIP (like ERA but factors out fielding).

Lauer has benefitted, above all, from an unsustainably high 92.7-percent strand rate.

Moreover, Lauer has had it rather easy in terms of matchups.

Until tonight, he has faced zero teams that rank top five in slugging against his top pitches from lefties.

What Pitches Does Lauer Throw?

Primarily, Lauer throws a fastball, slider, cutter, and curveball.

These pitches make up 98.1 percent of his arsenal.

Tonight's game will be the first in which Lauer faces a team that ranks top-five in slugging against them from lefties.

I like the Cardinal offense tonight because it ranks second in slugging .494 against them from lefties.

The Cardinals own a strong, righty-heavy lineup that makes them well-equipped to flourish against left-handed pitching.

Hence, they have scored five or more runs in six of the eight games in which they faced a left-handed starting pitcher.

Who Is Starting for St. Louis?

St. Louis starts Adam Wainwright tonight at home.

It is important that Wainwright is pitching in Busch Stadium because he is characteristically stronger here than on the road.

Whereas his career ERA in away games is 3.91, it is 2.85 at home.

Given his stronger success at home, he allowed two earned runs or fewer in all three of his starts last year against Milwaukee in St. Louis.

This year, he has allowed a total of five earned runs in three home starts while lasting six innings in each of them.

His consistent success at home will ensure that St. Louis easily allows fewer than five runs tonight.

Toronto Blue Jays vs. Los Angeles Angels
Thursday, May 26, 2022 at 9:38 p.m. ET at Angel Stadium in Anaheim

Who Starts for Toronto?

Toronto starts Hyun Jin Ryu for the fifth time this season.

He yielded an FIP of well over 5.00 in three of his first four starts.

In the one exception, he succeeded at home against a Red lineup that is scoring fewer than three runs per road game.

The fact that Ryu has struggled in every game against better-than-bad competition must make one pessimistic toward his outcome tonight because the Angels rank fifth in runs per game.

How Does Ryu Match Up Against Angel Batters?

Ryu throws a fastball, changeup, curveball, and cutter.

He throws each of these pitches with over 15 percent frequency and they all combine to make up his entire arsenal.

One reason why Ryu is struggling overall this year is that his favorite pitch -- in terms of frequency -- is letting him down.

His favorite pitch is easily his fastball, which he throws just over 40 percent of the time.

This pitch was already vulnerable last year when opponents slugged .497 against it.

However, opponents are absolutely smashing this pitch this year.

So far in 2022, they are slugging .773 against Ryu's fastball.

In addition to having weak velocity, his fastball ranks in the fourth percentile in terms of spin.

Moreover, heat maps show that he often leaves this pitch in the more middle parts of the strike zone.

I like Angel batters tonight because they match up excellently against Ryu's already vulnerable pitches.

They rank third in slugging .480 against them from lefties.

Look out, for example, for Jared Walsh who is 3-for-8 with a double and a home run in his last two games combined.

Who Is Pitching for the Angels?

Angel starter Shohei Ohtani takes the mound tonight.

Ohtani has been a model of consistency this season.

He's allowed two earned runs in six of his seven starts and a combined total of four earned runs in three home starts.

Because Angel batters promise to thrive tonight and because Ohtani is consistently solid, we should expect a blowout win for L.A.

Best Bet: Parlay Cardinals ML at -115 & Angels RL (-1.5) at +135 at +339 odds with BetOnline

There ya go again with the RL in the parlay! GREEDY!! Lol. You ever consider the Ff rl
Opposed to laying the -1.5 for game? I hate giving the 1.5 runs at home especially when it seems the majority your edge is with the starters anyways.

Ryu missing in the middle the plate a rather new occurrence to this season isn’t it? I’ve always thought of him as having pinpoint control on the edges with his fastball, as you mentioned it never been a elite pitch a velo or spin but it has graded as a plus pitch many years primarily cause his pitch mix and ability to locate. It getting walloped this year like no other since his 1st in mlb! I assume it cause he has at least temporarily lost the ability to locate it.

I dunno if I trust waino tonight? I’m sure he be fine but I could see a 6 inning deal where he gives up 3-4 runs. I think milw lineup is a bit better than it been in previous years where he handled them pretty well at Busch. It not a great lineup by any stretch, we certainly hold the offensive edge on them this year they just been better than the garbags I’ve come to expect from their bats!! Like we have kinda reversed roles with them where milw has the great pitching we used to enjoy but our lineup is def better!! Feel like there sone guys in their lineup who good enough to sit on his curve and still catch his fastball/cutter to the point he gonna have to really work to navigate it.

I dunno, I gotta look closer at Luaer also and figure out why the huge leap he has taken this year with insanely better k/bb ratio, overall numbers, and his velo spike? Competition level could certainly play some part but the velo spike and some other improvements have nothing to do with who he has faced (brewers in general have been getting bunch of games vs the softies to begin the year!).. I recall seeing lauer pitch once this year and thinking that didn’t look anything like the dude we have smacked around in the past! While I normally am quick to think team total over when cards face a lefty my 1st thought when I saw this matchup was about the game that lefty in cincy came out of nowhere and mowed us down in baffling fashion! (Havnt even heard his name since! Lol), I thought when I saw Lauer he looked kinda similar to that kid on that day. Could just be incorrect perception tho! Lol

Another thing with LAuer he more a fly ball pitcher, while he has enjoyed facing some good matchups he has done so in much worse parks for his style than Busch, the one thing that isn’t improved with him and is in fact worse this year is his hr/9 and hr/fly ball rate which you would think won’t be a issue in what appears to be a cooler night at Busch so it gonna play big. He has had a couple dominate performances vs good lefty hitting teams in more hitter friendly parks of Philly and atl. I kinda have a bad feeling about this one, actually lean to milw as small dogs but im a ways from deciding to actually play it. We also have the possibility for rain around game time but weather man hasn’t predicted anything right this week so who knows on that!

There ya go again with the RL in the parlay! GREEDY!! Lol. You ever consider the Ff rl
Opposed to laying the -1.5 for game? I hate giving the 1.5 runs at home especially when it seems the majority your edge is with the starters anyways.

Ryu missing in the middle the plate a rather new occurrence to this season isn’t it? I’ve always thought of him as having pinpoint control on the edges with his fastball, as you mentioned it never been a elite pitch a velo or spin but it has graded as a plus pitch many years primarily cause his pitch mix and ability to locate. It getting walloped this year like no other since his 1st in mlb! I assume it cause he has at least temporarily lost the ability to locate it.
I hate writing up ff plays because my editors will wake me up at 8 am with angry messages asking me if the odds have been released yet lmao

I hate writing up ff plays because my editors will wake me up at 8 am with angry messages asking me if the odds have been released yet lmao

It would be so hard for me to do what you got going on with them. I think I could prob learn to punctuate well enough to write decent articles but I can’t do it for plays I’m not making and with all the hoops/restrictions you have to deal with!! Hard enough to find plays without having to make them fit in a certain box.

Do you or they track what your record been with those parlays on the year (and/or individually)? Well not record so much as money count? Curious if you up with the parlay articles? I been told so long how parlays a bad idea but I know I do well with the 2 teamers or groups of 2s RR’s

It would be so hard for me to do what you got going on with them. I think I could prob learn to punctuate well enough to write decent articles but I can’t do it for plays I’m not making and with all the hoops/restrictions you have to deal with!! Hard enough to find plays without having to make them fit in a certain box.
The other place I was writing for for a bit was a huge pain in the ass because they made me follow a template. Fuck that shit. I have to do certain things -- like notice the section titles now end more often in questions -- but these are minor. I get huge latitude in terms of how I structure my articles and that's very nice.

It's easy to find information when you're comfortable with a sport -- I experience this with NBA all the time. It just doesn't always suffice to convince myself lol but it's easy enough to create a logical argument, you could easily do that if you needed to.

Do you or they track what your record been with those parlays on the year (and/or individually)? Well not record so much as money count? Curious if you up with the parlay articles? I been told so long how parlays a bad idea but I know I do well with the 2 teamers or groups of 2s RR’s
I never track record because I don't want my record to distort readers' perception of my article quality..i'd rather my reasoning constitute the primary influence on their decision to tail or not.. although my bosses are officially tracking my casual picks record

I've seen you write tons of text for plays you end up not making...so I don't believe you :)

I never track record because I don't want my record to distort readers' perception of my article quality..i'd rather my reasoning constitute the primary influence on their decision to tail or not.. although my bosses are officially tracking my casual picks record

I agree w that logic far as posting it. (I’m just curious between me and you if you plus w these parlay articles :) ). I hated posting a record back when I did threads at sbr cause whenever I was running good/having strong season it became more like a free tout service more so than just rambling and discussing plays. Mfers all on your nuts just wanting the damn play then hate you when it loses: Don’t get me wrong I’m cool with sharing but I have my own selfish reasons for it and it isn’t my dream of becoming a tout (lol). It cause i enjoy talking this stuff and I cap better when I do it: didnt help me any when I lost the discussion and just became “what should I play”, “give me the play”, “you’re stupid, you lost”. Lol

I agree w that logic far as posting it. (I’m just curious between me and you if you plus w these parlay articles :) ). I hated posting a record back when I did threads at sbr cause whenever I was running good/having strong season it became more like a free tout service more so than just rambling and discussing plays. Mfers all on your nuts just wanting the damn play then hate you when it loses: Don’t get me wrong I’m cool with sharing but I have my own selfish reasons for it and it isn’t my dream of becoming a tout (lol). It cause i enjoy talking this stuff and I cap better when I do it: didnt help me any when I lost the discussion and just became “what should I play”, “give me the play”, “you’re stupid, you lost”. Lol
Fair point of curiosity but i'm struggling to remember the last time I actually parlayed one of the parlays that I recommend lol as you know I just straight-bet everything

Back