Breaking News - Leafs Fire Maurice

Santacapper

Pretty much a regular
Reports: Leafs, in three-year playoff drought, fire Maurice

ESPN.com news services

<!-- promo plug -->
<!-- end promo plug -->

<!-- end story header --><!-- begin left column --><!-- begin page tools -->Updated: May 7, 2008, 12:20 PM ET

<!-- end page tools --><!-- begin story body --><!-- template inline -->The Toronto Maple Leafs have fired coach Paul Maurice, according to media outlets in Canada.
Maurice, who had one year remaining on a three-year contract, failed to guide the Leafs to the playoffs in his two seasons. The Maple Leafs have missed the Stanley Cup playoffs in three consecutive seasons -- the first time that has happened since 1928.
The team has scheduled a news conference for 3 p.m. ET but did not specify the reason.
Assistant coach Randy Ladouceur has also been let go, according to the report.
The Maple Leafs went 36-35-11 with 83 points in 2007-08, last in the Northeast Division and 12th in the Eastern Conference. That was a drop of four wins and 8 points from 2006-07, when the Leafs finished one point behind the Islanders for the last Eastern Conference playoff spot, at 40-31-11.
Last month, interim Maple Leafs GM Cliff Fletcher declined to commit when asked about Maurice's future with the club.
"There will be discussions, but you can be sure of one thing," Fletcher said, according to The Canadian Press. "The person coming in is going to be a strong hockey person and he's going to have very definite opinions of his own."
Maurice, 41, was hired by former Leafs GM John Ferguson Jr. in 2005 to coach the club's top minor-league team in the AHL. He succeeded Pat Quinn as coach of the Maple Leafs on May 12, 2006.

go back to the Nascar forum
icon14.gif

Are you happy they fired this stiff Cappah?

it was very expected... only one coach inthe Leafs history has coached them for 2 seasons or more without making the playoffs.

I was never very happy with the way he coached in pratices / prepared his team. In game coaching I couldnt complain about. but too many times theyd come out soft in the first period, and give up an opener, he didnt really manage his players egos off the ice etc.

Nice enough guy, funny press conferences... now the hunt is on for a GM / coach, most likely GM first

Times are tough for the Leafs and the people that were born and raised in Toronto deserve better.

It's one of the few major cities in the world where hockey actually means something.

Green - for all the bad choices on cities there are a bunch of strong markets for the NHL... it is getting better. I think the Leafs are 'heading' and I use that term loosely, but they are going in the right direction with these moves, and moves to come

Back