Breaking Leaf Trade, Toskala a Leaf

toskala_vesa_rest_hor.jpg
<!--cutline-->

<SCRIPT> AdSpot("sportsnet","EAST_hockey",3,300,250); </SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=Javascript1.1 src="http://ad.doubleclick.net/adj/rogers.sportsnet/EAST_hockey;comp=;tile=3;sz=300x250;ord=738871361821545700?"></SCRIPT><!-- Template Id = 1 Template Name = Banner Creative (Flash) --><!-- Copyright 2002 DoubleClick Inc., All rights reserved. --><SCRIPT src="http://m1.2mdn.net/879366/flashwrite_1_2.js"></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=VBScript>dcmaxversion = 9dcminversion = 6DoOn Error Resume Nextplugin = (IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash." & dcmaxversion & "")))If plugin = true Then Exit Dodcmaxversion = dcmaxversion - 1Loop While dcmaxversion >= dcminversion</SCRIPT><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>
Related

<!--end relatedCap-->NHL Draft coverage:
Adams: Draft crapshoot Mock draft Top prospects Draft order Previous 1st rd picks
Free agent coverage:
Signings Remaining free agents Top free agents
<!--end relatedLinksGrad-->Sportsnet.ca News

The Sharks have an option to take Toronto's first round pick either this year in 2008. San Jose can decide up until it is time to select the 13th pick this year

The Toronto Maple Leafs have acquired goaltender Vesa Toskala and winger Mark Bell from the San Jose Sharks in exchange for first and second-round picks in 2007 and a 2009 fourth-round pick.

The Toronto Maple Leafs have acquired goaltender Vesa Toskala and winger Mark Bell from the San Jose Sharks in exchange for first and second-round picks in 2007 and a 2009 fourth-round pick.
Toskala, 30, was 26-10-1 with a 2.35 goals against average and .908 save percentage with San Jose last season. The Maple Leafs are working on a contract extension for the Finnish keeper who was a fourth-round pick of the Sharks in 1995 and earned $1,375,000 last season.
Bell was a major disappointment in his first season in San Jose. Brought in from Chicago to play on Joe Thornton's wing, 26 year-old Bell responded with a career-low 21 points and was a healthy scratch at times late in the season.
Bell earned $2,000,000 last season and has two years remaining on his current contract.

definie 'solve' Joe?

all seriousness though, he is a big upgrade from Raycroft, they now need to get a back up as Im sure Raycroft is on his way out to a potential suitor, and there are lots for a goalie. He isnt a backup though, I'll give him that. Pogge is a few years away and with this years draft being so crap its a nice boost.

Best goalie UFR was signed today when Giggy went back to Anaheim and I think this was a reactionary Plan B

Good info, I asked because I know zero about this guy. He could be a backup, he could be a starter, I have no idea.

I do know San Jose's history with producing talent at that spot, so I hope it works out. As I've mentioned before, unless they're playing my Pens, I've got no problem seeing the Leafs win.

However, the thing about goaltending, I think, is that you can have a truly great goaltender back there, but if your defense sucks it only matters so much.

I've learned this first hand from watching Penguin games.

=)

Well he isnt a proven # 1 goalie, but all the NHL guru's have said he could start on a majority of NHL teams right now.

Sharks have a way with goalies, kinda like Minny does.

They are looking to bolster more stay at home defensemen. McCabe was a big time bust with that contract, cant do much worse, lol

Sharks have a way with goalies, kinda like Minny does.

Is that ever the truth. The interesting thing will be to see how the Sharks continue that, or if they can continue it, with the death of their goalie coach. That guy was the man in San Jose.

McCabe was a big time bust with that contract, cant do much worse, lol

Yeah, you can add him to Toronto's growing Bust Pile.

In a related story, I love how teams always talk about grooming "stay at home" defencemen.

I'd love it if one time a team came out and said, "this year, we're trying something radical, we're going to dress six defensenmen who consistentely wander out of position."

It's like they're non-housebroken puppies that need a short leash. Like if they don't force them to stay behind the blueline the next thing you know they'll be up in Row F with a plate of nachos and an overpriced arena beer.

Goo dpoitn about the coach Joe, interesting to see. Bell never panned out there, dont know thought, if he cant make it in the hotbed of hockey that is San Jose, not sure how he'll handle Toronto.

BAR, you know it, puppy lover sexy

Well this is sucks for me though I knew it was coming. Toskala is a #1 guy and will make Leaves alot better. Bell was a bust so they can have them.

Not sure who will be backing up Nabby since they got rid of Nolan Schaefer at the deadline...he went to PITT and watch out for him.

I love this trade but if they don't move Raycroft, it'll be a huge waste to see Toskala sit on the bench. Toskala isn't getting any younger (30 years old) and Leafs Nation is becoming more restless, especially with all this Hamilton Predator talk. I think J.F. Jr is trying to make another impact statement for his supporters so it would be really dumb to trade, yet again, your future for an impact player and not play him. However, if Raycroft does indeed remain with the team, you can bet your bottom dollar he will be on a much shorter leash and perhaps he may even take the backup spot. All in all, not a bad move. Now, if they could only move that guy name McCabe.....

this is a joke....you have yet to solve anything on this trade. first off Toskala is not a proven #1 goalie. You give up a chance to rebuild your team again....Will somebody do something in the MLSE? Apparently not because they are all to chicken shit to make a bold move. This is a prime example of how pathetic the Leafs management has been since JFJ has taken over. now you got 2 liabilities in net and both wanting a starting job. Might as well have trade Vokoun for fuck sakes.

Trading all those draft picks when your organization lacks depth in a serious way is a bad move that never works out in the long run, and it reeks of management trying to save their jobs, its only a band aid on a recurrent malaise. But then again I dont really care for the leafs. I just hate to see such an organization only care about money.

Santa,
stop cheering for this garbage team. i mean any team that moves from a historic ground such as the Gardens and is now soon to be a freaking Grocery store, surely does not deserve your respect or time.

I am extremely baffled how Leaf fans can continue to go to games when they know the management are just money rulers.

Cant do anything about moving out of MLG... same thing happened to all the original sixes at one point or another.

Don't know how else to explain it other than watching the Leafs every Saturday with my grandfather since the day I could sit upright and plan on continuing it with my kids, knock on wood. Doesnt matter to me what the management does once the season starts, I'll still watch the games and bleed the blue and white:smiley_acbe:

Back