Breaking down the NFC

Joe Public

Gabibbo's Finest
OK, so if you missed the AFC version of this, I’m insulted and apparently you don’t love me anymore which, frankly, is rude. So thanks for being a jerk. Also, you missed some good stuff, including a Covid rant that nobody wanted to read, so there was that.

Also, I didn’t say this in the last one, but these threads aren’t just here so I can hear myself type. I mean, they are, I now have a mechanical keyboard and I like the sound *clackity clack, clackity clack*. But they’re more here so you can add to them. If I’m wrong, or if you have a better read on a team, dive in. Not with 4K words of your own, of course, people don’t even want that from me, but with your own nuggets that can help everybody make money.

“But Joe,” I hear you say. Oh yes, I hear you. “But Joe, why should we trust you? Aren’t you the guy who once promised ‘an HJ out back’ if Crystal Palace lost to Brighton?” Yes. I am. And then, after they lost, I lied and told Lex, KJ, Wise, and Cub that Steed sprained his wrist at an event earlier in the day and couldn’t make it. But in fairness to me, that was a solid pick, I have since taken responsibility for my actions, and apologized.

Also, remember, CTG isn’t just about making fun of Guaranteed. First of all, he’s been working out, you don’t even know. Second, there’s a pill for Peyronie's disease now, so stop making jokes about how there’s “always money in the banana stand.” That’s bullying and it’s not cool. (I’ve got your back, ‘Teed.) Anyway, the rest of you should feel empowered to actually get in here and have your say.

And now, onward an upward with something to keep you busy until the games start this weekend.

THE NFC CENTRAL

Green Bay

Last year, I loved this team. Come December, I had futures on them to win the NFC and the SB. And did I hedge to guarantee a profit before the TB game? No, I most certainly did not, but thanks for bringing it up, Shaker. Always good to see you.

Point is, I say that to let you know that I really don’t hate this team, I just hate this year’s version of this team. This team feels a ‘lot’ to me like last year’s Pittsburgh team. Remember how Pittsburgh ran out to 11-0 and yet nobody really believed in them? This team feels a lot like that. Because as good as they may get, their record is likely going to be inflated by their terrible division and games against bad teams.

First off, the biggest problem GB faces hasn’t ever really been Rogers or the offense, it’s that every time they get deep into the playoffs, their defense decides it’s time to give up 40 points. Does anybody really think they’ve done enough to fix that?

There is a chance that Rodgers’ version of the Last Dance works out. And I do envision myself betting on this team at times during the season. Not to start off though, they lost their starting center to free agency and David Bakhtiari is out for the first six weeks. Their first game is on a neutral field vs. NO which may help, but I need a week or two to see if this team can block anybody before I bet on them. Thankfully for them, their division is so bad, and I still think there will be value on this team over the course of say the first third or half of the year.

If they can beat NO this weekend, they should be 2-0 before losing to SF in SF, revenge be dammed. But then they have a run of really winnable games Pitt, @Cincy, @chicago, Wash, @AZ. That’s where I see some value.

Minny
Speaking of teams I don’t have a lot of faith in, hello Minnesota. This is a team I’ve seen football types talking up as a sleeper this year, and I don’t buy it. First off, their entire QB room is a fucking Covid-cluster. Beyond Kirk Cousins, rookie Kellen Mond has had Covid not once, but twice, and unless I missed it, he still refuses to get vaccinated.

I personally don’t think any team has to forfeit a game this year because of Covid, there’s too much money involved. But if they do, my odds-on favorite to cause it is Minnesota.

Beyond that, I may be missing it, but I don’t see this team as particularly good. Here’s where I may be wrong, though. I said from the outset that I believe today’s NFL is about three things, a good QB, a line that can block for him, and a coach that isn’t going to lose you games. Cousins is good for the occasional great game and generally ‘good enough,’ and I don’t think Zimmer is bad. But their line was leaky last year.

Show me you can block, show me you can not give up 28+ a game, then maybe I will consider betting you until your entire team has to quarantine.

Minny has a really interesting schedule to start the season. On the road for two (Cincy and AZ, which feels like 1-1) then home for three (Sea, Cle, Det) before going to Carolina and then getting a somewhat early bye in Week 7. I can see 3-3 there. I could also see worse. But I think those games should give you a really good sense of what this team is.

If I’m right, and they are 3-3 coming out of the bye, they may set up as a go against team later in the year because their schedule only gets worse as the season goes on. And with an early bye, I could see this team wearing down.

Chicago
There are a couple of really poorly kept secrets in the NFL. Colin Kaepernick was blackballed, they call Nick Foles ‘Big Dick Nick’ for a reason, and the Chicago offensive line sucks Mouse nuts. To me, Chicago right out of the gate is a bet-against team, and by that I mean in Week 1. This is purely an anti-Andy Dalton play.

My speculation is that when Chicago signed him, they told him he would be the opening day starter—as they were very public about. But now that he’s basically been out played in the pre-season, the only question is, how long does that last. There’s a chance it only lasts the first half of the first game.

But my hope is, it lasts the whole first game and the Rams sack Dalton like seven times. Because I’m teasing LAR here. Top tier DL vs. one of the worst OLs in the league? I’ll take it.

Once they go to Fields, I think things change for Chicago. Sadly, it mostly means Fields may be running for his life much of the season.

To me, they look like 2-2 to start the season, away losses at LA and Cleveland (WK3), home wins vs. Cincy (WK2) and Detroit (WK4). Then they go to Vegas which will be a good trip for their fans, esp. if they can win, because things really get rough. GB, @TB, SF. That’s where I think it gets bad for this team as Chicago is rated with one of the hardest schedules in the NFL this year. That sucks for them, because if their OL is as bad as advertised, that defense might be good, but it will just wear down.

Good news for Chicago though, the White Sox are going to be in the playoffs. So let’s fucking go.

Detroit
Not since Hunt took a senior position in the Whitmer administration has there been this little hope in Michigan. Which, by the way, is really unfair. Hunt once hid a body in Windsor, OT for a heretofore unnamed member of the Pistons and suddenly it’s like he’s not doing enough for the state? It’s never enough for you ingrates, is it?

Anyway, this is another team in this terrible division I don’t believe in. What have they given us to hold onto? Jared Goff is apparently so much of a prick the Rams almost drove him to Motown themselves. They got rid of probably their best weapon in Golladay, I’m not sure if I remember the last time their defense was good, and they should go what 2-4 in the division at best?

Also, the start of their season sucks. SF, @GB, Baltimore, @Chi, @Minny. This team is going to be worn out quick. I don’t like how any of this sets up for this team this year at all. Honestly, their whole season sucks. How are you this bad the year before and end up with like the second hardest schedule in the league the next season? Be Detroit and have the league not care about you is the answer to that, I guess.

THE NFC SOUTH

Tampa

Sort of like KC, what’s there really to say here. This team is not only good, they’re returning their whole team. Oh, and They’re 100% vax’d. (We know how Brady voted so this tells you where he’s at with regard to winning.) Oh, and also, historically, year two is when you really finally wrap your head around all of an Arians’ offense.

Now, that may be less true here as Brady reportedly convinced Bruce to change some things up mid-way through last season and that was partially responsible for the Bucs ironing out their issues. But still, to me this team feels a lot like that NE team from a few years ago that put up 1,000 points and almost went undefeated.

Not that I think TB is going 17-0, I imagine they win 13, 14 something like that. But I do think they may score a ton of points this year. Because they have the three things I look for (QB, OL, coach) and one of the top three or so rated WR corps in the league. Also, their DL is strong enough that this offense is probably going to get the ball back early and often.

You may have to lay bigger numbers with this team because they’re ‘the’ team this year, but it may be worth it unless they prove they can’t keep the back door shut.

The league also did them a favor with this schedule, imo. It’s rated one of the easiest in the league. HOW DO YOU WIN IT ALL AND GET … whatever.

Now, maybe the league didn’t know Dallas would have issues Week 1, but TB starts at home, then has 10 days before yet another home game (Atlanta—good luck, Matt Ryan). Then the real season for them starts, @LAR, @NE. They basically have two tune-up games to get themselves ready. Everything sets up well for this team, tbh, including their bye which is sort of perfectly placed dead in the middle of the season in Week 9 and the fact that they may get to throttle down at the very end of the season based on their opponents.

Oooh, one other thing on TB which is as much about the league as it is about them. One reason we should have known that everyone who wasn’t sold on Brady + TB (*raises hand*) would be wrong is to look at scoring before he arrived.

Normally I don’t go back and look at the year before with some numbers because teams change, schedules change, all that. But overall numbers can add some value. For example, with Winston at QB, TB threw for a ton of TDs and passing yards. Once you removed all Winston’s turnovers, why would we think that TB wouldn’t improve pretty substantially? Because Tom’s deep ball had tailed off? Maybe, but they ADDED weapons on the outside.

Anyway, it might be interesting to note that the top six scoring teams last season were:
  1. GB
  2. Buffalo
  3. TB
  4. Tenny
  5. NO
  6. KC

I included KC there because NO had a significant change at QB this year—to Jameis Winston, because of course. Point is, remove NO if you like because changing your QB is a big deal and adds uncertainty. Of the remaining five teams, only GB seems to have had significant changes to the offense (losing their center in free agency and an all-pro for the first six weeks). Everyone else has either kept the band together or improved on offense. So how much should we really expect the top scoring teams in the league to change from last year to this?

Carolina
Here is where I think I differ from a lot of people. I think Carolina comes in second in this division. And, oddly, it’s not even because I have a ton of faith in Sam Darnold. They get McCaffrey back who this team runs through and it’s their second year under the same coach. There’s just something about this team I like.

Also, I think the rest of the division outside of Tampa takes a step back this year. But again, maybe I’m wrong. And I’m not saying I’m going to be looking to back this team out of the gate. I’d like to watch them a little, see what they’ve got.

I will, however, likely take a shot on the over in their first game. It’s not a big number, both QB’s are going to have something to prove. No matter if the game gets out of hand one way or another, I don’t think anybody shuts it down. Especially if it’s Carolina who’s up, if you’re the Jets, who cares if you lose by 20, you need to get Wilson pass attempts.

Also, let’s look at Carolina’s schedule. First, they get the NFC East, second they don’t face TB until very late in the season—including Week 18 in which TB might be resting their starters.

Here’s how they start: NYJ, NO, @Houston, @Dallas, Philly. It’s possible this team is 4-1 to start the season. In fact, the only reason I haven’t talked myself into their season over 7.5 is I’m not really crazy about their matchups mid-season: @NYG, @Miami, @Arizona, @Buffalo. Put those games at home and they might be 3-1. On the road they might go 0-4. Then you add in NE, Washington, and TB twice, and that eight might be too close for comfort.

New Orleans
OK, so I just said I think Carolina comes in second in this division—and I said Carolina may not get to eight wins. Meanwhile, the Saints’ season win total is nine. So …??

Ah ha, but the Saints’ season win total is also juiced to the under which means at least someone who knows someone agrees with me. Naturally I just assume it’s Carolina Blue who is infamous for moving lines (and hips) from Tupelo to Carteret County. But tying up money on -140 for an entire season isn’t something I’m interested in, so I’ll pass. But I am going to say, I think this team regresses this year. Which is funny seeing as how they now have a QB who can throw more than 30 yards down the field. And I do think that will help.

But, they’re without Michael Thomas for the foreseeable future, like six weeks into the season future. That’s a problem. Also, this team was tops in the NFC last year in terms of turnover differential, ahead of both TB and GB. As this is something that generally evens out from year to year, this isn’t going to help NO at all.

Also, like Carolina, I hate the Saints’ schedule.

Check this out. They lose their opening home game to climate change and will now get GB on a neutral, grass field in Jax. Not cool. If GB’s OL was healthy, you’d have to assume this was a loss. As it is, GB is still -4.5. But wait, it gets worse. After this they go to Carolina, then they go to NE. They do get the Giants at home and if they’re 0-3 this should be a great spot to come back with them. But then they have to go to Washington before an early season bye. They also have road games @Seattle, @Tenny, @Philly, and obviously TB x2.

Thanks, but I hate it. Pencil me in for that home game vs. the Giants, but everywhere else to start the season after Week 1, I’ll be looking to go against this team.

Here, however, is how I could be way wrong about NO. When last we saw Jameis Lanaed Winston starting, he was throwing for 5K yards and 33 TD passes in a single season. There’s no reason to think that arm isn’t there any more. And there’s no real reason to think his weapons here are any worse than they were in TB. Obviously Alvin Karmra is better than anyone TB was putting out there. So, in theory, Winston could easily throw for 2+ TDs a game this year and a bunch of yards. It could happen, and if it does, they easily could beat me and take second in this division without much of an issue.

Atlanta

OK, full disclosure, I love Kyle Pitts. I was terrified Jerry Jones was going to find a way to get this guy and have him haunt the Eagles for the rest of my days. I don’t hate him in Atlanta, but I also don’t think Atlanta is in a position to maximize this guy’s talent yet. Atlanta seems pretty obviously in ‘hey, we’re rebuilding, but don’t tell anybody, OK?’ mode.

And that’s fine, all teams need that. But if you’re betting on Atlanta right now, to me what you’re betting on is Matt Ryan to get you back door covers. Which might work! There are teams every year that do this. Jax was 1-15 SU last year but 7-9 ATS, the Bengals last year were 4-11-1 SU, but 9-7 ATS. Both the Broncos and Panthers (5-11) were that same 9-7 ATS. Those are huge swings from SU to ATS. So I won’t be totally shocked if that’s what we get from Atlanta this year.

But in terms of winning, Atlanta also gave up a good number of sacks last year. Now that you strip some weapons from Ryan, does that just get worse because fewer dudes can get open? It’s all question marks with me and this team.

Hey Joe, how’s their schedule? Oooh, I’m glad you asked. Not great! They get Philly at home in Week 1 which I, as a Bird fan, am hoping will be a fun, high scoring game. But win or lose it then gets pretty real for Atlanta: @TB, @NYG, home for Washington and the Jets. But then they get an early bye.

If this team is as bad as I think they may be, the timing of that bye could also be really bad for their defense. And there is a game late in the season I’m looking at. Granted, they may be 14 point dogs—but they travel to SF immediately after two division games, Tampa at home and @Carolina. This may be a great spot to go against them.

THE NFC EAST

Washington

Look, I know you’ve been waiting for me to get to the NFC East. That’s partially why I waited this long. Otherwise, you might have stopped reading. Also, this division blows. Which I kind of hate to say, but, well, it does.

Everybody says Washington is going to win this division, and I think everybody is right. But I agree with them because everybody else in the division sucks. Washington has a really great defense and against this division, that should be enough to go say 4-2. Maybe 5-1.

We all know Fitzpatrick will have at least one game this year where he puts up 42. Maybe two. But how they’re going to score 20+ in the other 15 games, or if he gets hurt, is beyond me. Maybe they don’t need to.

Again, I hate to say it, but the reality is, 9-8 may win this division this year, and I think Washington is your best bet to get to 9 wins. Also, the season win totals suggest exactly that if you look at them. Washington is 8.5 but juiced to the over and Dallas is 9.5 but juiced to the under.

OK, Let’s look at their schedule … Holy shit, this schedule is awful.

Now, they get the Chargers at home which might be the best time to play this team. That might be OK. Maybe. Then they get the Giants at home. So far so good. But after that it’s a whole lot of nope. @Buffalo, @Atlanta (fine, but it’s still on the road), NO, KC, @GB, @Denver.

Now, there are some bad teams in there, and they get lucky that I don’t think Atlanta or NO will have a lot of luck scoring on them. But I don’t like the rest of those six games one bit. Even the ones you win are going to be really difficult games. After Denver, they then come out of the bye for TB at home. Again, I hate it.

The silver lining for the Dubs is that they get to finish the season feasting on the NFC East. Remember how, in past years, the Eagles would sneak into the playoffs by beating up on the division late in the year? Sure you do. That’s what I think happens here with WFC. Which is what they should be called because WFT is dumb and sounds like WTF.

Dallas
There is a chance Dallas doesn’t come in second in this division. Which I’m sure goes against all conventional wisdom because OMG DALLAS IS GOING TO HAVE THE BEST OFFENSE HAVE YOU HEARD ABOUT DALLAS’ OFFENSE THEIR OFFENSE IS GOING TO BE THE FUCKING TITS. Yes, yes, we heard you.

Here’s my problem with that. Dak is coming off a major injury. Dak has also played, if I’m not mistaken, all of five actual games under McCarthy (granted, he looked good). But Dak also did not play in the pre-season, not just because of his ankle, but because of a shoulder issue.

My point is, we have no idea what this offense with Willie Beamon limping around back there is going to look like. Looks good on paper though. And maybe if they spend the first three weeks putting up 35+ they will shut me up. If they do, fantastic. Keep doing it so I can bet the over.

But until then, I’m going to believe it when I see it. Also, I am not fully convinced McCarthy is all that good. And while I’ve loved Dan Quinn as a DC in the past, I will also need to be convinced that he can turn this defense around. A defense, btw, that Trevor ‘Don’t Call Me Joey’ Lawrence shredded in their final preseason tune-up. For whatever that is worth. Although, I do hate that they drafted Parsons from PSU. That guy is going to haunt the Eagles for a decade and should make them really strong up the middle. Fucking Dallas.

Something to note here about sacks, not just about Dallas, but all of the NFC East (more on that in a second). Last year, Dallas gave up too many sacks, and league-wide they were bad. So again, before thinking about how great this offense is going to be, think about how they’re going to keep Dak and his surgically repaired ankle upright.

Schedule? Pretty good! After @TB, they’ll get ten days to lick their wounds (we assume) before going to LAC. This isn’t great, but wait, it gets better. First home game? Philly. And it’s the first of three straight home games inc. Carolina and the Giants. It’s possible they go 3-0 there. So they could be at 3-2 right out of the gate … before they go to NE. But look, if they can get to their bye in Week 7 at 3-3, honestly, that should be a great position in this division.

NYG
I don’t know if this is another worst kept secret, but the Giants’ OL is a fucking disaster right now. I mentioned above that Dallas gave up too many sacks last year, right? But they were nothing compared to the rest of this division. Both the Giants and Washington gave up 50 sacks last year. That’s over three sacks a game. That is NOT GOOD.

And by all accounts, the Giants’ OL might actually be worse this year.

Now, they get Barkley back on offense, and they brought in Golladay, but even he’s come out and said, ‘Hey, don’t be shocked if the Giants’ offense starts slowly this season.’ That is also NOT GOOD.

Funny thing is, I don’t think the Giants are going to be historically bad this year. I’m not even sure they’re going to be like Atlanta bad. And they may finish third in this division. But this feels like a six, seven win team to me. On a good day. It just does, and I’m absolutely happy to hear the case on the other side of this from someone who really follows this team. Which, I mean, I support mental health and so if you’re a Giants fan I hope you are getting the professional help you need to be at your best, but I do want to hear from you.

It’s not so much that it’s not ‘fair’ that the NFC East has to play the AFC West and the NFC South this year, there are some bad teams buried in there, but there are also a lot of guaranteed losses for NFC East teams too. The Giants are lucky they start with Denver in NY so, maybe they can luck-box one. But then they go to Washington (L), get Atlanta at home (W), then go to NO and Dallas (Lx2). To me they’re 2-3 at best. Probably more like 1-4 if Denver steps up this weekend. Again, NOT GOOD.

Philly
Finally, what you’ve all been waiting for. The moment when I tell you that Emkee has fixed the Birds. That Jalen Hurts is gonna be the man and all those stories about their front office being an unmitigated disaster are a thing of the past and they are back on the road to vic-tor-y. Well, ya see, what happened was …

Here’s the thing, I may be a homer, but I believe the Birds are going to be better than advertised this year. Now, they’re being advertised as like 4-13 so let’s be realistic. But I say that for this reason, their OL was a complete disaster with injuries last year. Total chaos. IN THEORY, that’s better now. It’s not the SB OL obviously, but it’s going to be better. How much better? Well hopefully better than the taxi squad who gave up a monumental, league-leading 60 sacks last year. Yikes.

Also, they do have weapons. Letting Hurts move with his feet and seeing if DeVonta Smith can actually be as advertised, there’s potential. Also, don’t forget, while they probably should have traded Ertz at TE, they didn’t. So they have two really great security blankets for Hurts to check down to with him and Goedert.

The problem, for me, is going to be on defense. Can they stop people, particularly, can they stop the pass in a pass-happy league. I’m not convinced they can. I think the front office’s plan this year was, ‘Get a top-tier skill position player, shore up the OL and the DL, and see what Hurts can do.’ This would then leave them free to draft secondary help and bring in defensive free agents next year so long as Hurts seems like the guy. Which honestly isn’t a bad plan seeing as how, right now, they may end up with three picks in the first round. But that’s a lot of ifs.

Also, given how much they may have Hurts run, we may get a start or two from Uncle Rico this season. Hopefully at home. Hopefully at night so it can just be all drunks, all the time.

In the end, I am someone who really wants Hurts to succeed, and word is he’s the opposite of Wentz, that he just devours coaching and constantly is in coaches’ ears about how to get better. So what I expect is, Hurts consistently gets better over the course of the season. But is that enough?

More likely, given the hand he’s been dealt, this time next year, Deshaun Watson is aggressively texting Emkee for his list of the top ten rub-and-tug spots in and around Cherry Hill, NJ. And let me tell you, Emkee will give him that list. Because Emkee looks out for his friends, goddamit. *chest tap*

One good note for the Eagles, along with giving up a metric shit-ton of sacks, they also were second only to the Donks in most turnovers. That should come back to even and the sack thing was so embarrassing, you know it’s been a focus all offseason.

Their schedule to start? Terrible. After going to Atlanta, they come home to San Fran. Good times. Then they go to Dallas, come home for fucking KC, then have to go to Carolina. Which is before Tampa. Fuuuuuck. Oh and their bye week is in Week 14. The league doesn’t care about this team AT ALL this year. Hahahaha, FML.

THE NFC WEST

San Fran

Hey, you’ve made it this far, what’s one more division. It’s only four teams, you can do it.

Also, because you’ve made it this far, let’s start with a team I like a lot this year. I think a lot of people do, tbh, but I also think it’s justified. As much as anybody last year, SF was just crushed with injuries. Well, they get those guys back this year, and the last time this team was fully healthy, they were a play away from winning the SB, blah, blah, blah.

Defensively, this team has the potential to be really good again, and everything I hear about how they’re going to use Lance makes me feel better about everybody being on the same page. I envision it a little like the very early days of Taysom Hill. Only Lance is eventually, truly, be the guy and potentially very good at the gig. But those early days with Hill, NO was able to spread teams out and really move the ball.

In the meantime—the meantime being until Jimmy G. gets hurt as he’s wont to do—I think they’re going to be fine at QB and I envision this team just rolling along. So long as they can avoid injury, obviously.

SF needs to clean up the sacks from last year, but their schedule should help with that a bit. @Det, @Philly, GB, Seattle, @AZ. I love this start. What I don’t love is that their bye is in Week 6.

Last, SF was tied for second-worst in turnover differential last year at -11. This is an abjectly horrible number, but these things tend to even out. So even if that just swings back to zero this year and puts them middle of the pack, I expect a significant jump in wins.

LA Rams
So why do I think SF wins this division and not the Lambs? Well, tbh, these two teams are close enough to me that a major injury could separate them. For example, the Rams losing Cam Akers.

That fucking sucks. Also, it’s very difficult for me to say this team wins the division when this is Stafford’s first year with the team and the system. To me, Brady is an outlier, and you have to give a guy some time to find his feet. And by time, I mean more than half a season.

Also remember, Stafford is coming from a place where, generally, the second half of the season (and the second half of most games) really didn’t mean much. Brady was coming from a culture that was accustomed to winning, Stafford is coming from a culture of losing. That is going to take some time to get past. And I don’t think it happens all in one season.

This defense is still great though, even though Cleveland raided them a bit I still expect them to be a really tough out. Until AD tails off, their DL is borderline unblockable, at least man on man.

Great schedule for the Rams this year though, LA starts at home with Chicago, then goes to Indy. They do have to come back home for Tampa, but then they get Arizona at home as well. That should be 3-1 before they got to Seattle in Week 5. To me, that may be where they decide how they finish in this division. Right after that they should grab some easy wins from @NY, Detroit, and @Houston.

Seattle
This may be another team I’m either sleeping on or totally wrong on, but this is a team that I think takes a step back this year. I don’t see enough evidence that they fixed the problems that caused Russell Wilson to try to half-way force his way out of town during the offseason.

I know this will shock you to know, but last year Seattle was one of the worst in terms of giving up sacks. At least, they were the worst among the good teams. Can we honestly say they’ve fixed that?

Likewise, can we honestly say this team’s defense is better than either SF’s of LA’s? I don’t think we can.

They may be fun again, and hopefully they can put up a million points against bad teams, because Seattle is a team I like to play for overs. Russ tends to always be looking for points no matter what, and I appreciate that.

But I think this team finishes third in the division, and then they go through a lot of finger pointing and soul searching in the offseason.

Their schedule starts bad, @Indy, Tenny, @Minny, @SF, LAR (two brutal back-to-backs there). But then it opens up, @Pitt, NO, Jax, their bye. To me that looks like 5-3 or at least 4-4. That should make them feel like they’ve got a shot. And maybe they do. But then things kind of turn in the schedule—and if that coincides with another year where the offense cools after the first month or two, look out.

Arizona

I hate picking this team last in the division, because this is a team I like. I like Murray, I like Hopkins, I like that they look at the scoreboard and think, ‘You know, that would look better if we put 30+ up there.’ For non-Cardinals fans, I think this team is fun.

The problem they have is how good this division is everywhere else. If you could put this team in the NFC East or the South, I could see them finishing second there. Here … not so much.

What I’m going to look for with this team is overs at home. They were good for them last year, 5-3, and I don’t see why that changes. Interestingly enough, though, they were a clean sheet 0-8 to the under on the road last year, the only team in the league to do it. Which is fascinating.

Anyway, personally, I think the Cards need more tools before they can really compete in this division. And if you can’t compete in your division, it’s going to be a long year.

Their schedule, to me, also does them no favors. After going to Tenny in Week 1, they come home for Minny, then go to Jax. Not bad, maybe 2-1. But then shit gets real. Rams on the road, SF at home, @Cleveland, Houston (whew, a breather), GB, then the second game vs. SF, this one on the road. I don’t like it, feels like 3-6 with two more weeks before they get a bye. Yuck.

Well, that’s it from me for now. But please add to these threads with tidbits of your own. I really do mean it when I say that the reason these threads exist is so that, hopefully, we can all make money and stop making fun of Steed. He is a pillar of the CTG community and a good person. Some of you people are just too mean to him for no reason, let’s try to be better about that. Remember, and I know this may be too late for some of you to hear, but just because BAR goes out and gets a lower back tattoo doesn’t mean you have to do the same.

Finally, when in doubt in life, remember to ask yourself, what would Fondy do. By which I mostly mean, don’t be so hard on yourself, extreme coupon wherever possible, bet the board if you feel like it, and above all, choose to be kind one another. That’s not only a pretty good way to live, but it’s a pretty great way to remember a friend. RIP, Fond-Du-Lac.

=)

giphy.gif

Phenomenal read here...

I have the Lions U4.5 at plus money and feel pretty good about it. This is a total rebuild. The offensive line is really the only bright spot. The defense simply won't be able to hold up. The only way they can win games is to really shorten them up. I feel that schedule to start will demoralize them quite a bit as well.

I have 3-13 overall.

Phenomenal read here...

I have the Lions U4.5 at plus money and feel pretty good about it. This is a total rebuild. The offensive line is really the only bright spot. The defense simply won't be able to hold up. The only way they can win games is to really shorten them up. I feel that schedule to start will demoralize them quite a bit as well.

I have 3-13 overall.
Not to mention Goff will need a full season to understand the playbook.

I love how everybody's like, 'Yup, the Lions are going to suck.' God I feel for Lions fans, I really do. Not only is the front office not doing anybody any favors, the league is basically like, 'Here's a shitty schedule and, hey, anybody know we could take this Thanksgiving day game away from them?' Just brutal.

Also, muchas gracias, BAR.

100% agree on the South, Carolina will compete with TB for the division I believe

North also, can flip Minny and Chicago, either or

East, I really need to get a Football Team shirt...as much as I couldn't stand that team nor Snyder in the past, I love Riverboat and anyone rolling two years called Football Team is nostalgic enough, I need that

Won't go down the West, been very vocal against the Cards when they need to be taken down a notch or two over the years, that is not this year. Very good OLine, very good defense, I expect results and I don't care the names on the other jerseys. Let's just say I won't be against them often, if the defense stays healthy it's loaded and thanks to the Raiders basically handing off the Center for a couple food stamps, the OLine is really good. Need one of the younger receivers to step up and I think Fitz will be back if they're in position come the bye week. Not like the other three teams don't have several flaws themselves.

I love how everybody's like, 'Yup, the Lions are going to suck.' God I feel for Lions fans, I really do. Not only is the front office not doing anybody any favors, the league is basically like, 'Here's a shitty schedule and, hey, anybody know we could take this Thanksgiving day game away from them?' Just brutal.

Also, muchas gracias, BAR.

The faint hope with the Lions since the 2014/2015 or so era is that the Staff led offense would be able to overcome any defensive shortcomings and this team could sneak into the playoffs. They had the talent at times to win 7,8,9 games and so on. There was always that faint hope...Caldwell made some weird decisions but always had them competitive.

They pulled the plug into an all-out rebuild this off-season, which is the correct move, but leaves us with not much to be excited about. Now, Hunt loves Jared Goff but he doesn't move the needle for the majority of the fans. The oline and TE spot are the bright spots and that is simply not enough.

I am not sure how, but year in and year out the Lions have a top 10 hardest schedule.

Here, however, is how I could be way wrong about NO. When last we saw Jameis Lanaed Winston starting, he was throwing for 5K yards and 33 TD passes in a single season. There’s no reason to think that arm isn’t there any more. And there’s no real reason to think his weapons here are any worse than they were in TB. Obviously Alvin Karmra is better than anyone TB was putting out there. So, in theory, Winston could easily throw for 2+ TDs a game this year and a bunch of yards. It could happen, and if it does, they easily could beat me and take second in this division without much of an issue.

Joe, it's happening, dont forget he had coffective eye surgery after that tampa season, and hes at 20/20 now and ready to throw bombs. Some of us here are VERY high on Jameis, less high on the team in general for all the reasons you mentioned, hes gonna need to put up 30+ a game to win

I'll give you some Minny Feedback.

Cousins is who he is. The line is what it is. We still dont know when our draft pick is going to play. Offensively, the Irv Smith stuff hurts a fuckton. I think the DD Westbrook signing is pretty big. I like him alot.

The most important thing about the Vikings is, their defense is going to be fucking incredible. You get back Hunter (injury) and Pierce (sat out for the Fauci virus) they didnt play a down last year. They added Tomlinson to help stop the rush. I think Griffen still has something in the tank, and was a cap casualty a few years ago from us.
At Linebacker you get back Barr and Kendricks (prolly the best cover linebacker in the league)

Does Patrick Peterson still have something in the tank? Who knows, but a change of a locker room and a defensive minded HQ, might do it. I thnk the secondary is much improved with more veterans on the roster.

Won't go down the West, been very vocal against the Cards when they need to be taken down a notch or two over the years, that is not this year. Very good OLine, very good defense, I expect results and I don't care the names on the other jerseys. Let's just say I won't be against them often, if the defense stays healthy it's loaded and thanks to the Raiders basically handing off the Center for a couple food stamps, the OLine is really good. Need one of the younger receivers to step up and I think Fitz will be back if they're in position come the bye week. Not like the other three teams don't have several flaws themselves.

I so hope you're right. I really enjoy this Cardinals team. I 'want' them to be good this year because I think they're fun as shit to watch. They have weapons, and on paper they seem to have understood what they needed to fix. So it's entirely possible. And honestly, I think it's entirely possible Seattle falls completely apart this year, Stafford takes a year to really internalize the system, and if JG gets hurt or they go to Lance early, you have a really green QB in SF. Unlike other divisions where there just seems like there is absolutely no path for what could or should be the fourth place team, I can make the argument for the Cards. Now, a lot would have to go right, but again, I find this team fun to watch so I really hope you're right.

Not to mention, if they do catch fire, there should be an absolute ton of value on them. For all those years they were overhyped, this year feels very much the opposite.

Good to see you as always, KJ.

Reactions: KJ
hes gonna need to put up 30+ a game to win

This right here. Totally agree—and the thing that worries me about saying Winston won't is because we've seen him do it before.

Honestly, I'll be psyched if NO becomes a team that consistently puts up 70 combined points. Not only do I think that's what the league wants, but I love those games because I generally hate betting unders.

The thing that jumps out at me is, no Michael Thomas for weeks. That's just a huge weapon and I feel like the Saints need to show us they can replace him before we can trust them with actual money. Or Bitcoin. Not to mention, the other thing that sucks about an injury like that is, you spend six weeks learning to live without a guy, then he comes back and you have to reintegrate him into your scheme. With TB out there winning 14 games, you're already going to be way behind in your division. It's a really tough ask for NO this year.

But you make a great point, Winston 'can' put up 30+ a game, now let's see if he will.

The most important thing about the Vikings is, their defense is going to be fucking incredible. You get back Hunter (injury) and Pierce (sat out for the Fauci virus) they didnt play a down last year. They added Tomlinson to help stop the rush. I think Griffen still has something in the tank, and was a cap casualty a few years ago from us.
At Linebacker you get back Barr and Kendricks (prolly the best cover linebacker in the league)

Does Patrick Peterson still have something in the tank? Who knows, but a change of a locker room and a defensive minded HQ, might do it. I thnk the secondary is much improved with more veterans on the roster.

This is great info, because honestly this was one of my blindspots in this division. Was/Is Minny's defense going to be able to get right. If they are, it completely changes this team imo. I don't love Cousins as a leader—and as Marlo says, he is who he is. He's a step above 'just a guy,' but a step below 'really good.' That doesn't mean he can't have moments of 'really good,' just that it's tough to rely on him to win you games every week. But if Minny's defense is as Marlo advertises, that allows Cousins to have 2TD/2INT games and still scratch out a win.

Honestly, that could give them a shot to challenge for the division. Assuming they can stay healthy.

Yeah Marlena killed it with the VIK breakdown.

Honestly, I think he talked me into laying points with this team on the road this week. Right now I'm getting -3 -120 ... Assume Marlo is right about this defense ... I think it makes sense.

I put 25 on the vikes over 9 wins. Most places had 8.5 with bad juice. I love the defense that much. I also think Zim is coaching for his job.

Side bar, im not really a vikes fan. I just happen to live in this hell hole.

I put 25 on the vikes over 9 wins. Most places had 8.5 with bad juice. I love the defense that much. I also think Zim is coaching for his job.

Side bar, im not really a vikes fan. I just happen to live in this hell hole.

I agree that Zim is probably fighting for his job. I also think that's kind of unfair because they've saddled him with Cousins and let Diggs wander off to Buffalo.

Also, it's too late to claim you're not a Vikes fan. You're in charge up there. CTG has spoken, that's just how it is. Take it up with management.

Oh, and, if they're getting to your nine, they're winning this weekend so, more ammo for that -3, tbh.

You heard it hear first. The NFC east is going to set football back 20 years, Dallas defense is going to fucking suck....Jalen Hurts is not that answer in Philly. The South will be interesting, Jameis should fucking cook with a year under SP, with that said Tom fucking Brady is in that division. Look Sam Darnold sucks, he just sucks a bigger dick with Adam Gase. The West is going to be interesting. The sharps love niners, and I love Jimmy G more than the average person.....look hes the only guy i know better looking than me. New OC in Seattle is going to really let Russ cook....but where have we heard that before.

more importantly, a line I just took

Joes booster shots vs Lions wins this year. Currently set at 3

Something I learned from the opening game, TB solved a huge problem from last year that all their success covered up. Geo Bernard—who I've always liked, tbh—can catch the ball out of the backfield. Which you may think isn't a big deal, but Fournette, as good as he is, seems to have a pile of rocks at the end of his arms where most normal humans have hands.

Last year, you didn't really need to worry about catching balls out of the backfield with them because Fournette was 50/50 oat best if they did throw it to him. Geo solves that problem, which just makes the passing attack more lethal.

they say playoff lenny can catch when he actually pays attention! he handed over a int on that screen but then he bailed brady out on a terrible decision/throw i couldnt believe he made!! you spot on tho, brady loves his rbs and gio is the man out the backfield,, he a legit wr back there not just a guy who can catch occasional dump off,, just another weapon for the rich getting richer!! i was really surprised how loose bucs played tho, brady gonna have to shout at these guys more than he prob anticipated all year, his damn coach is too easy going when it comes to mistakes! that why he was a terrible coach for winston..

Back