Braves vs Cardinals Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Braves Look Fierce on Warpath Against Cardinals

The Cardinals host the Braves tonight at 7:05 ET on Fox. Atlanta opened as a heavy underdog and there is too much value to pass up on them.

Atlanta Braves (46-24) at St. Louis Cardinals (42-38)

MLB Pick: Atlanta ML +136

St Louis’ Luke Weaver (4-6, 4.59 ERA) is heavily favored, even though he’s costing bettors mucho dinero. Weaver is especially troublesome at home, where he’s yielding -6.8 units because St. Louis is 2-5 in his home starts.

Weaver has an arm, the problem is location. He throws his 94 mph fastball over half the time overall and in every scenario. At best, he offers a change-up between 20-30% of the time to avoid being too predictable. He likes to locate it in the lowest parts of the strike zone, but he has a tendency to leave it down the middle. Opponents are slugging 2.000 against this pitch in the two most middle parts of the zone and he has allowed as many homers with this one pitch as he has with all of his other pitches combined. Moreover, he utilizes a curveball 26% of the time as a first-pitch strike to left-handed hitters in order to somewhat mitigate the predictability of his first-pitch fastball. Problematically, his curveball is a weak pitch and opponents are slugging .639 against it.

Despite his reliance on it, his fastball struggles for location. His four most frequent placements of this pitch are in the middle row of the strike zone. Location is critical for a high-velocity fastball because power is met with power. All an opposing batter needs to do against a high-velo fastball is get a barrel on it. He gets away only to a degree with his fastball’s poor location because of its above-average spin rate which makes it deceptive. But even the Royals and Padres have slammed his fastball, even though they rank poorly against this pitch.

In three of his past four starts, Weaver has allowed four runs. He allowed four or five walks in half of those starts and in half he allowed over 50% hard contact and over 30% line drives. These numbers show that Weaver is either trying harder to be precise, but failing, and therefore walking more batters, or he’s simply trying harder to throw strikes, therefore leaving pitches in dangerous locations and getting slammed.

Atlanta boasts a strong selection of left-handed hitters—against which Weaver allows a significantly higher slugging percentage. Freddie Freeman is slugging .771 against the high-velo (92-97 mph) fastball from righties, Ozzie Albies .604.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Max Fried (0-2, 4.09 ERA) has been called up from Triple A in place of the injured Brandon McCarthy. His career ERA as a starter is 3.09, compared to 5.27 as a reliever.

The southpaw relies on an average-velocity fastball with over 50% frequency. His fastball is a major reason why he has induced over 50% ground balls in every career start. It features very little spin so that it drops more and induces batters to swing on top of it, which creates a ground ball out and tends to prevent extra-base hits. He locates it well, consistently avoiding the middle of the plate with it and instead concentrating its location on the fringe of the zone. Against 93 fastballs thrown by Fried in 2018, opponents have only managed one extra-base hit. The youngster complements his fastball with an elusive sinker that opponents have yet to hit. Although its quality by itself is low because it’s loopy, his curveball plays well off his fastball because of the velocity differential that it creates.

The Cards have mustered only two runs in their past two games. Most of their top right-handed hitters are slumping. Jose Martinez hasn’t managed an extra-base hit in his last nine games. Yadier Molina is batting .217 in his last seven days. Paul DeJong is still injured. Tommy Pham has zero hits in his last 25 at-bats.

Fried's velo tends to dwindle later into outings and Cards should manage a homer against his curveball. So I see the over that Dan is talking about, at least 1H over. Can't pass up the dog value as bottom line Fried executes his top pitch well, Weaver doesn't. Curveball should just be a minor detail (Weaver's been getting hit as well anyways). Fried been very strong to start out outings so I see Braves score first prop as well. Cards yield negative units at home, not a good home team again, same deal as couple years ago. So I like the value with Braves for sure

+130 is kinda crazy, if this line were more even, as I think it should be (come on Fried was favored vs DeGrom early in season in a 4-3 Braves win!) I may have played that over instead.

Max Fried (0-2, 4.09 ERA) on Saturday to secure a series win.
Fried is replacing veteran right-hander Brandon McCarthy, who was put on the 10-day disabled list Thursday with a knee injury. A former first-round pick of San Diego, Fried will make his first start since going five innings and giving up one earned run on May 28 in a no-decision against the New York Mets.
It will be the second career appearance against the Cardinals for Fried, who last year tossed a scoreless inning in relief against them.
Right-hander Luke Weaver (4-6, 4.59) will look for his second straight win for St. Louis. Weaver shrugged off a rough first inning Sunday in Milwaukee to grab an 8-2 win, fanning a season-high nine over 5 2/3 innings while yielding two runs off five hits and two walks.
Weaver needed 32 pitches to make it through a two-run first inning, but started finding the range with his off-speed pitches. That made his fastball play bigger, and he rolled through the middle innings while the Cardinals bombed Jhoulys Chacin out of the box with five runs in the fourth and two more in the fifth.Weaver, who snapped a seven-start winless streak in Milwaukee, will make his first career appearance against the Braves.

Id prob play the over here. Don’t have faith in either starter

I understand. Fried command can be iffy low-quality secondary pitch (curve) and dwindling velo. But I have less confidence in Cards lineup atm I think Braves have edge even if over hits and sweet price for them

Cue Braves score first prop. Its innings 4-5 where one really has to worry about Fried as his velo dips.

Good call., didn’t even see this. Actually figured it was for 2marros game.. I thought cards could hit Fried honestly, but they continue to be back to sucking with the bats. I was pretty confident weaver get tagged. Hoped the offense could make a game of it but looks like you gonna have a cakewalk!!!

Looks like only bright side to this season Is hopefully it gets matheny fired and he takes Mayberry garbage ass with him (hitting coach who could never hit a great idea! Lol)..

Yea idk if you know brewers888 but during whole nfl season he was rooting against jets for draft pick lol

Dan you think it makes sense moving Jose to outfield??

I feel that kinda like the Matt Adams experiment all over again, I guess the difference being Adams could actually play 1st while Jose appears to suck pretty bad at it!! On second thought maybe? Can he be any worse in right than he is at 1st? They should prob deal him to a al team for real! Lol

Back