Braves 2008

Schrute

Assistant __ ___ Regional Mod
Myself, O&W and Tide High signed up for the Braves during the original team thread. There is so much information already on the forums today so I'm not sure how much I can actually add but I'll just post what I know.

I do know that Huddy dominated the Nats last year. He had 4 starts against them in '06. He won all of those starts and gave up 0 runs in 2 of the games. The most the Nats put up against him was 2 runs in one of the games. Obviously the fans are going to be ready to go this evening and its going to be a cold one in the nation's capital. The wind is going to be blowing in from Left field at 8mph. Left field is pretty deep in the new ballpark and the Braves have quite a slew of left handed pitchers this year so the wind won't hurt them that much. I know a lot of folks are high on the Nats bullpen this year and they may be solid tonight but I firmly believe they'll struggle over the course of the season.

Not much information today as neither bullpen is worn out and the Braves don't have any injuries that will affect this game. Obviously no real travel issues here. The one thing that the Nats have in their favor is that they've played in this new park and they've also recently played in cold weather like they'll face tonight. I think the Braves bats will probably start off somewhat slow due to the cold weather but will pick up the 2nd time around the lineup and after warming up in the field. I look for 6-7 solid innings from Hudson with the Nats scoring no more than 3 runs. I think the Braves get 3-4 off Perez and then 2-3 more off the Nats bullpen. I'm thinking Braves win something like 6-3 in this one. Good luck to all and I look forward to hearing insight from O&W and Tide High as well:cheers:

One thing I thought was interesting for the Braves first week was all the travel. They played the Indians yesterday in Atlanta then hopped on a plane to Washington to play the Nationals tonight then get back on a plane to Atlanta for the home opener vs the Pirates tommorrow night. Don't know what it all means, but is very unusual.

Yeah O&W. I need to look at the stats for tomorrow night's game but I may be on Snell & the Pirates for that one. I don't know how each starter did against the other team last year but I'll try and look at it before I go to bed tonight

Here's some numbers vs Perez.

Francoer: 4-6, 3B, HR
Chipper: 6-17, 2 2B, 3B, HR
Kotsay: 6-16, 2 2B, 2 3B

No other starters have faced more than 3 times, although they are a combined 4 of 6. So the Braves starting lineup is a combined 20-45 vs Odalis. That's .444.

Nice stats O&W. So would your recommendation for tonight's game be on Atlanta? They certainly look like the play statistically but I feel that I generally do better later in the year when I can analyze the bullpens further

Nice stats O&W. So would your recommendation for tonight's game be on Atlanta? They certainly look like the play statistically but I feel that I generally do better later in the year when I can analyze the bullpens further
This is the first year I have taken baseball seriously and trying to get a feel for it before I make any plays. Obviously with the way Hudson has dominated the Nats and Perez, albeit a small sample size, being hammered by the Braves you have to think the Braves have a very good chance tonight. Most people on here really like the under and that seems like a decent play as well. Just don't know if I'm ready to jump in yet. BTW, great info Dwight.

BET THE UNDER...Hudson will be tough in the cold weather and Odalis has looked ok in Spring Training, I really dont see the braves coming in and blowing one out, I see 3-2. Look for Bobby to be real conservative.

Dwight here is Snell's numbers against Brave's normal starting lineup.

McCann: 6-9, 2B, 2 HR
Francouer: 3-12, 2B, 5 K's
Diaz: 2-3
Johnson: 2-8
Chipper: 2-6, 2B, HR

BET THE UNDER...Hudson will be tough in the cold weather and Odalis has looked ok in Spring Training, I really dont see the braves coming in and blowing one out, I see 3-2. Look for Bobby to be real conservative.

Though I posted an estimation of 6-3 I can certainly see this happening as well. I would lean under as well but usually don't like to go at both the side and total. I'm hoping the excitement will lead to Odalis being wild early so maybe the Braves can get a few cheap ones in the cold weather

I got the Braves at -162

So McCann certainly sees the ball well against Snell. I think the fact that only 3 guys in the lineup have seen Snell a good bit tells you about the new makeup of this team. Its going to be about health and youth this year for the Braves. We know there are a few solid players and that the vets can be very solid if they stay healthy. I firmly believe that a healthy Hampton means a playoff run.

Isn,t Glavine throwing tomorrow? I think he is a train wreck waiting to happen, he is defintely going ot be a liabilty this year, he isnt the glavine of old. I think he's good for maybe 10 wins, if were lucky.

Isn,t Glavine throwing tomorrow? I think he is a train wreck waiting to happen, he is defintely going ot be a liabilty this year, he isnt the glavine of old. I think he's good for maybe 10 wins, if were lucky.

I couldn't agree more and I hate it for him b/c he came back to where he started and, IMO, his last season is going to be a huge disappointment. He can't pitch off emotion all year long. That's why a healthy Hampton is imperative for this team. I really like Snell and the Bucs tomorrow but no play yet

I think it time for the development of Chuck James, If Leo were still here we wouldnt need Glavine because we would Have James, he hasnt developed as quickly as he should have, and I blame that on our shitty pitching coach.

I agree betting against Glavine early could be nice. Either way any combination of Glavine, Hampton, and Jurrjens is better than starting f'ing Mark Redman, Kyle Davies, or JoJo Reyes. The Braves lineup got a little worse but their starting staff is a lot better, imo. Hell Chuck James went from the number 3 to the number 7 option is one year.

I couldn't agree more and I hate it for him b/c he came back to where he started and, IMO, his last season is going to be a huge disappointment. He can't pitch off emotion all year long. That's why a healthy Hampton is imperative for this team. I really like Snell and the Bucs tomorrow but no play yet
Think I'm going to be on the Bucs as well as long as we get decent plus money. What do you expect the line to look like?

Pittsburgh has been on fire lately in Spring ball. I'll be on the Buccos tomorrow for sure. Good info fellas.

LOL at Redman. You just brought up nightmares from last season man.

Pirates at +137 right now at 5Dimes. I'm thinking we get a better number if the Braves win tonight. If they lose tonight I might hold off but we'll see

3/31/08

Bucs (Snell) at Braves (Glavine)
In the last 2 years Snell has had 4 outings against the Braves. 3 of those 4 were very quality outings. The Pirates won 2 of 4 when Snell has started the last 2 years (1-1 each year). Obviously the Pirates bullpen is fresh.
Glavine only had 1 start last year against the Bucs. He pitched 6 innings and gave up 8 hits with 3 earned runs. I really think he has a chance to come out tonight and resurrect his Braves career with a solid start. I don't know that necessarily means a win. Pittsburgh should try to play small ball this evening to make Glavine think as much as possible in what I foresee as a very emotional start in his return to Turner field. Glavine wasn't exactly impressive this year and when he's not locating things can get out of hand quickly as we saw in his last 3 starts of last season.
Intangibles--the Braves have been traveling machines over the last few days while the Bucs come in very well rested. Both teams have played in cold weather recently so that shouldn't be much of a factor. I do believe that hurt the Braves last evening but after 1 game they should be adjusted. Also, expect to see the Braves blow a few saves as they did last night.
Opinion--I think either team could win this game. If this were true baseball weather I would think this is a situation where both teams would score some runs but its hard to tell with 55 degree weather.

I don't know how many times this year I will actually make a play on the Braves b/c I usually think they are going to win every game. I will try my best to do objective writeups and provide succinct stats for most Braves games this year. Good luck all

Also if this is no help at all then let me know and I won't waste my time or your time but I do usually study the Braves matchup just b/c I enjoy reading about the team and each game

Back