Bowl Scenario and Stuff

wiseplayer

Pretty much a regular
40 Bowl games not including the championship game. We have 76 teams eligible going into this weekend with ULL and S. Bama needing a win Saturday to be Bowl eligible. This being the scenario automatically makes 6-7 Hawaii Bowl eligible.
We'll have 2-4 slots available pending the outcomes this Saturday. Which of the 5-7 teams would be worthy of a Bowl game despite a losing year? Immediately we look to the Major conferences.
Ole Miss
Mississippi State
Texas
Texas Tech
ASU
CAL
Mid Majors
Nevada
SMU
Akron
N. Illinois
N. Texas

When looking at this list who are the top 4 you'd like to see with probably only 2 needed?
Unless I'm missing something how aren't the 2 SEC teams not invited. I wouldn't mind either Texas teams.
My 4 are,
1. Miss St
2. Ole Miss
3. Texas Tech...love this offense
4. Texas

I'm assuming Hawaii gets to play Christmas eve. This way the Aloha Bowl can bump their attendance up to 100 as opposed to 25. BYU has accepted a Bowl bid to the Poinsettia Bowl.
I'll continue to add thoughts regarding Bowl projections during the week.

What about Army? They are 6-5, but two wins vs IAA and only one can count towards bowl eligibility. I wonder where they fall in the mix if they lose to Navy next week? Maybe they would consider them a 5-7 team. Maybe they beat Navy? Go Army Beat Navy!

5-7 teams are chosen on APR (academic progress rate). I'm not sure if I am looking at the right data, but Texas Tech is only 941 for 2014-15. Ole Miss just 958. Miss St is 971, Texas 971, Arz St 960, Cal is 960 (thought they'd be higher). North Texas is 984. Army is 989. Likely some article out there that details it better than I could. Last year the 5-7 teams who went bowling all had APRs in the 980-970 range (Nebraska, Kansas St, Missouri - opted no bowl, Minnesota, San Jose St). Here is a link I found data on: http://web1.ncaa.org/maps/aprRelease.jsp

Army:

Bowl update: Projection – Black Knights bowl bound

By Sal Interdonato | Published: <abbr class="published" title="2016-11-26T20:55:01-0500">November 26, 2016</abbr> | Leave a comment
Army is projected to play in its first bowl game since 2010 and the Black Knights have Navy partly to thank for it.
Three teams – SMU, Ole Miss and North Texas – seeking their sixth win and bowl eligibility Saturday – lost, leaving only five candidates for the eight remaining bowl slots and creating three openings for teams with five bowl-eligible victories, which includes Army.
Navy defeated SMU 75-31, handing the Mustangs its seventh loss. Mississippi State and UTEP knocked off Ole Miss and North Texas respectively.
As of Saturday night, 75 teams are bowl eligible. Five openings remain. Louisiana-Lafayette and South Alabama are the only teams left with a chance at six wins and postseason eligibility. Louisiana-Lafayette and South Alabama, both 5-6, play their regular-season finale next December 3.
Bowl openings are filled based on a team’s Academic Progress Rate.
Vanderbilt’s win over Tennessee completed an ideal day for Army.
Army needed victories by Vanderbilt and Northwestern and a loss by Duke to be the top APR-qualifying team.
Army now will have its pick of bowls with open slots.
What bowl will Army play in?
Bowl openings may not be determined until next week.

http://blogs.hudsonvalley.com/west-point-army-football/

Army really dropped their chances when they lost to Buffalo and Duke. I would think you get a decent line against Navy to back Army but not sure if they can win outright. Navy has a champ game to play this week against a tough Temple team so we will see. I had this as an 8 win team after the UTEP game.

Great feedback. I forgot about the Academic part of the invites.
Who would have thought back in September while Ole Miss was beating FSU handily that they wouldn't be in a Bowl game? I was surprised to see Texas Tech out too with all the points they score. The article says 75 but I think they're forgetting Hawaii who gets in over any 5-7 team from what I understand.

Army really dropped their chances when they lost to Buffalo and Duke. I would think you get a decent line against Navy to back Army but not sure if they can win outright. Navy has a champ game to play this week against a tough Temple team so we will see. I had this as an 8 win team after the UTEP game.

South Point opened it at Navy -13 back in June or whenever. I was there in August and asked for it, but the line had dropped, I do not recall what it was, but wanting Army, I didn't like the value. After the season started and Army was hot for a bit, the number may've been closer to 7 if you could've gotten one. Much higher now I'm sure. Somebody with power ratings here could chime in, I suspect it would be about 2 TDs now. I think Army could beat Navy...I bet them every year, LOL, the thing that ALWAYS kills Army is untimely turnovers. Their ball handling is historically and annually horrible, not just in this game, but they have had some epic heart breaking turnovers the last few years vs Navy.

The article says 75 but I think they're forgetting Hawaii who gets in over any 5-7 team from what I understand.

Hawaii message board has fans talking about the Hawaii bowl opponent they are going to be playing, so I would assume they know, they must be in. No official word on the MWC weekly release, they actually do not list UH as bowl eligible in their latest release, probably just because it is not official. UH site doesn't say anything either.

Hawaii message board has fans talking about the Hawaii bowl opponent they are going to be playing, so I would assume they know, they must be in. No official word on the MWC weekly release, they actually do not list UH as bowl eligible in their latest release, probably just because it is not official. UH site doesn't say anything either.

The prognostications I see have:

MTSU/Hawaii
MTSU/Hawaii
MTSU/Hawaii
La Tech/Hawaii
S Miss/Hawaii

So looks like Hawaii is a foregone conclusion. All of those look super fun - one of my most memorable wins was the 2010 Tulsa/Hawaii Over in this game.

This is from the Honolulu Star Advertiser with a headline reading Rainbow Warriors earn a Hawaii Bowl, beat Minutemen: The University of Hawaii never does anything easy.[FONT=&amp] Needing a victory against a team that had won only twice all year, the Rainbow Warriors rallied in dramatic fashion. Sophomore quarterback Dru Brown threw a 56-yard touchdown pass to Keelan Ewaliko and the defense made it stand up long enough to win 46-40 over the University of Massachusetts before an Aloha Stadium crowd of 19,402.[/FONT]

Give me cal, Texas tech n Akron off the above list and match them up with some more offensive machines that play no defense... set some totals at 90 plus

Give me cal, Texas tech n Akron off the above list and match them up with some more offensive machines that play no defense... set some totals at 90 plus

Akron is one of my favorites too. They actually dropped a game winning TD in the finally seconds of their last game. Never seen a drop so costly to a team needing a W for a Bowl bid.

Eastern Michigan vs Old Dominion in the Bahamas Bowl. Doesn't this matchup of teams and this Bowl tickle your fancy? If this isn't a Bowl game and instead was a Saturday regular season game, I wouldn't watch a second of this. Instead, I'll be dissecting this matchup for the next 3 weeks to find a winner. Crazy

Indiana will have new/interim coach for bowl - just fired Kevin Wilson, being reported it was for off-field issue

DC Tom Allen gets 6-year deal at Indiana; so they go from an offensive to defensive head coach.

Not sure what the deal with Wilson is, but the ESPN article has one of the kids' dad saying he made his son run 6 miles while in concussion protocol. Who knows what's true but I'll pretty much always give the benefit of the doubt to the student-athlete over some fuckwit head coach who claims it's all about the kids when all he's doing is looking out for himself. College coaches, both basketball and football, are some of the lowest forms of life on the planet.

DC Tom Allen gets 6-year deal at Indiana; so they go from an offensive to defensive head coach.

Not sure what the deal with Wilson is, but the ESPN article has one of the kids' dad saying he made his son run 6 miles while in concussion protocol. Who knows what's true but I'll pretty much always give the benefit of the doubt to the student-athlete over some fuckwit head coach who claims it's all about the kids when all he's doing is looking out for himself. College coaches, both basketball and football, are some of the lowest forms of life on the planet.

I tend to give the benefit of the doubt to coaches personally. Mike Leach classic example. Lot of loser parents.

From reading a couple articles with what the AD said at the presser it sounds like they kinda want this to be open and shut and sorta forgotten about - which for me, it feels initially like a really forgettable hire. I don't know anything about Allen but consider me underwhelmed - I'm not real surprised they hired a guy internally given the circumstances but I'm more surprised they would give him a 6 year deal.

Well, I just wikipedia'd him and you can't argue with his last two jobs as DC in '15 and '16- how far the USF defense fell this year and how much he improved the Hoosier defense.

Between the illinois bullshit, this indiana bullshit, the mizzou bullshit, and the northwestern bullshit, juat had enough of these kids being infected vaginas.

Of course, Horses has a point with JoePed, Briles, Carroll, Kiffen and the like (not that i put kiffen or carroll in the same class of scum as joepa and briles but still)

Well if it's true that he made him run like that during concussion protocol I have to imagine you'd throw this guy in that class of scum as well, or I'd hope so

Between the illinois bullshit, this indiana bullshit, the mizzou bullshit, and the northwestern bullshit, juat had enough of these kids being infected vaginas.

Of course, Horses has a point with JoePed, Briles, Carroll, Kiffen and the like (not that i put kiffen or carroll in the same class of scum as joepa and briles but still)

Clown, they got full boats.. full boats.. n act entitled. Suck the shit up

No. I don't think complaining about running when you have a concussion makes you as scummy as joepa or briles

Too many KJ types not enough wade/dud types out there in my opinion

I tend to give the benefit of the doubt to coaches personally. Mike Leach classic example. Lot of loser parents.

Craig James is an outlier and a complete asshole. Coaches can have affairs on the floor of Applebee's and have a brothel on campus and still not lose their job. A kid gets drug-tested positive for weed and he's off the team. Line those two up including the context of each party committing the atrocity and who's supposed to be a positive influence on the other. Not to mention they can just pick up and leave whenever they want (verbal promises to the recruit be damned, buyer beware you stupid 18 year old fuck) while a kid is beholden to his school and actually has to be granted a release to transfer to another school. Fuck coaches and any benefit of the doubt they might deserve.

From reading a couple articles with what the AD said at the presser it sounds like they kinda want this to be open and shut and sorta forgotten about - which for me, it feels initially like a really forgettable hire. I don't know anything about Allen but consider me underwhelmed - I'm not real surprised they hired a guy internally given the circumstances but I'm more surprised they would give him a 6 year deal.

I was surprised by the length of the deal as well but maybe they know something; as you mentioned, he definitely appears to be a factor based on USF drop-off and IU improvement. As you know, HC is a different animal.

Back