Bowl acceptance thread...

We're lucky the conference championships are later this year and lands on the day we normally open Bowl season. All we need is 15-20 Bowl games to get us from December 21st thru New Years Day. No Bowl games on Sunday gives us 11 days of action plus there are Bowl games Jan 2nd.
If all teams are eligible for a Bowl game we could see some duds but its better than nothing.

How does BC announce that they're rewarding their players by skipping a Bowl game?
If I'm a player who has an opportunity to play on national television and a Bowl ring, I'm supposed to feel rewarded after this crap 2020?

I've heard some of the TV announcers that do radio interviews say that when they meet with players and coaches as part of their prep and lead in to broadcasting the games there is a feeling of exhaustion from what this season has brought on staff and players mentally and physically. BC's season ended last weekend. If they waited until they heard what their bowl game would be and then have to keep up all the testing and all the sacrifices they have done not seeing friends and family and social life it just might get to a point where it's enough and they want done with it. BC to their credit did a really clean job with avoiding covid. But when BC players were allowed to see family members, they were told to not hug or touch them! There was a line that BC football had conducted like 8000 tests since July and only got 1 positive out of all that. It's great dedication on their part, but there is a cost with what it takes staying that clean. I might want to be done with it too.

"Imagine not being able to go give your mom, dad, brother, sister a hug after the game. You want to talk about sacrifice?" Hafley said. "These kids did that. We didn't know if we'd play our first game, and we look around and everything keeps getting canceled, and somehow our guys found a way. Is luck involved? Yeah, there's got to be some luck. But it's also got to be these kids, who have listened to every little thing we told them to do. I don't know how many people could have done that."

I've heard some of the TV announcers that do radio interviews say that when they meet with players and coaches as part of their prep and lead in to broadcasting the games there is a feeling of exhaustion from what this season has brought on staff and players mentally and physically. BC's season ended last weekend. If they waited until they heard what their bowl game would be and then have to keep up all the testing and all the sacrifices they have done not seeing friends and family and social life it just might get to a point where it's enough and they want done with it. BC to their credit did a really clean job with avoiding covid. But when BC players were allowed to see family members, they were told to not hug or touch them! There was a line that BC football had conducted like 8000 tests since July and only got 1 positive out of all that. It's great dedication on their part, but there is a cost with what it takes staying that clean. I might want to be done with it too.
8000 and only 1 makes me wonder if they were the only ones who had testing accuracy.

I’m certainly not blaming anyone who doesn’t wanna go thru everything it takes to play some meaningless bowl game, just a bummer for us!

UTEP is another one I have read had extremely low positive rates in their tests. UTEP partnered with a hospital I believe. Maybe who you test with test through it who runs the tests matters.

I'm sure in some corner of society...the people that cheer the opt outs, the people that think student athletes are exploited, the ones who don't think anybody should've ever tried playing football this year will champion teams like Boston College for ending their seasons "early".

It is just a ton of sacrifice and imagine this scenario. You prep for the next 3 weeks, abiding by the same protocols you have been all year, basically being told to be a hermit and avoid this and don't do that, you give it all up and then, 3 days before your bowl game, it gets canceled because the other team has covid and can't play. It's bound to happen. That would suck.

Nevada accepts bid to Famous Potatoes Bowl. Your damn right the Blue Turf Bowl will be played this year.

12/19 Frisco Bowl (Frisco TX) canceled due to covid issues at SMU. UTSA will now play in 12/26 SERVPRO First Responder Bowl (Dallas TX) vs a yet to be announced P5 opponent (potentially Big Xll).

Is App State really -19 in Myrtle Beach Bowl vs North Texas?

App State pretty clearly superior, not in dispute or question.

A couple things I think about, the bowl game is this upcoming Monday. Just a little over a week from when App State last played hated rival Georgia Southern and prior to that they had the big game vs ULL. This game is taking place at the home field of a league team that App State just played at this year. Some of that has me wondering if App St shows up with their A game vs a team they think and are told they are better than.

I liked Tulane on the blue. Wave certainly has earned Vegas respect on their lines this year (-4 here). Still like Tulane laying the points as long as it isn't too many by game time.

I tell you what, BYU only -4? I like BYU. That line seems low, or UCF is still getting pre2020 line respect. UCF is not the same team, not a news flash to any of us. Their defense vs USF was so sloppy and poor, BYU might score on every possession if that is what UCF shows up with. And that was not a one game annomoly for UCF. Knights rank dead last in AAC total yards per game allowed! (7th out of 11 in yards per play allowed) Yield 31.4 ppg

I wish Georgia Southern was playing another team to fade them with. Shai Werts likely will not play and his backup Tomlin was knocked out of the App game putting 3rd string QB on the field and prompting me to place a large 2nd H wager on App State (they trailed at HT good set up + the bu QB). I'm not generally high on LaTech and alot of people are going to be down on them for the TCU game...it's just not a year that this roster LT has to take on a P5 team. I worry about some of the lack of quality players LT has right now, but I think Georgia Southern right now is more worrisome.

Edit - Vegas Insider had wrong team favored. GaSouthern is actually a 4.5 pt favorite. Not sure why.

FAU is bad football. Not a great version of Memphis. I guess I'd want to lay the 10? Might want to make sure everyone for Memphis who can play will be playing.

North Texas' best player:

Darden announced Sunday that he was declaring for the NFL draft and would forego his remaining eligibility. A UNT spokesman said Sunday that Darden is not expected to play against Appalachian State.

Is App State really -19 in Myrtle Beach Bowl vs North Texas?

App State pretty clearly superior, not in dispute or question.

A couple things I think about, the bowl game is this upcoming Monday. Just a little over a week from when App State last played hated rival Georgia Southern and prior to that they had the big game vs ULL. This game is taking place at the home field of a league team that App State just played at this year. Some of that has me wondering if App St shows up with their A game vs a team they think and are told they are better than.

That crazy we have bowl games right on top of the season!!

Back