Boston vs Seattle Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Under-the-Radar Pitching Duel Foregrounds Red Sox-Mariners Opener

Two veteran starting pitchers take center stage when Boston hosts Seattle at 7:10 ET. Seattle will look to end its losing skid, while Boston’s lineup searches for consistency.

Seattle Mariners (46-28, 39-34-1 O/U) at Boston Red Sox (49-26, 35-38-2 O/U)

MLB Pick: 1H Under 5

Wade LeBlanc (3-0, 2.63 ERA) continues to be successful in his return to the starter role. He has endured only two starts in which he allowed three runs or more. Both times came against Houston, which boasts an elite lineup that ranks fourth in slugging against southpaws.

LeBlanc thrives as a fly ball pitcher, who only induces ground balls at a 36% rate. His chief object is to ensure that batted balls remain fly balls and do not become home runs. He’ll benefit tonight from the wind blowing in from right field at 10 mph. LeBlanc used to be primarily a fastball pitcher, relying on his fastball over half the time. But now he’s added variety to his pitching arsenal so that he’s more unpredictable. He doesn’t rely on a single pitch more than 31% of the time. His most important fly ball pitch is also the one that he throws most frequently, the sinker. The sinker is generally thought of as a ground ball-inducing pitch, but he likes to keep it elevated despite its long vertical drop and induce batters to swing underneath.

Boston’s lineup finally came alive again in its 9-2 romp against Minnesota last night. Its lineup has lately been two-faced—either explosive or inactive— producing one or two runs four times in the past seven games. In the other three games, Boston took advantage of some errors and passed balls to produce six runs in one game, and achieved nine runs in both of the others. Against a southpaw, I expect the „bad“ Boston lineup. The Red Sox have struggled all year against southpaws, ranking 26th in slugging against them overall and 21st since June. They’re yielding -3.7 units against southpaws, despite being profitable overall.

Recently, Boston succeeded against Atlanta’s southpaw Sean Newcomb, who had an off-day and couldn’t stop walking batters, and Detroit’s Blaine Hardy, who has since been relegated to the bullpen. But LeBlanc is an established starter in strong form. He had been doing poorly in terms of FIP (like ERA, but factors out luck) until he got to face Boston on June 16, yielding two hits and zero runs over 7.2 innings, in what was easily his longest outing of the season. In 34 career at-bats against LeBlanc, Boston has mustered only one extra-base hit. Mookie Betts and Xander Bogaerts, for example, are a combined 1-for-12 against him. LeBlanc has a promising history in re-matches, for example holding Minnesota to two runs in six innings after facing them 12 days earlier.

Knuckleballer Steven Wright (2-1, 1.23 ERA) counters for Boston. The knuckleball is extremely hard to hit because its movement seems erratic and therefore unpredictable to the batter. But more pitchers don’t rely on the knuckleball because it is hard to execute. On off-days, the knuckleball appears flat and arrives with little movement to the hitter, so that he can easily destroy it. The key is form. Baltimore, for example, had a slugging percentage over .800 against Wright. But when the O’s faced him on June 11, they only managed four hits in 6.2 innings. Wright dominated Baltimore in that match-up because he’s consistently been throwing his knuckleball effectively. Wright has allowed one run in his past 29 innings. In his last start on June 16, he held Seattle to one run over seven innings. In 42 career at-bats against Wright, Seattle hitters have one extra-base hit. Dee Gordon, for example, is 1-for-6 against him.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Seattle’s bullpen ranks second-to-last in terms of FIP in the past 14 days, so i’d rather stick to the 1H „under."

I don't like to bet on the same result twice but why can't it happen twice in a row? No idea why I should overthink this one. Red Sox vs non-crappy southpaw and in-form knuckleballer. That's all there is to it. High total because both starters aren't getting enough respect, but the lineups are.

I like BJ, but as a Jaguars fan it's tempting to pick a fight with Boston people over the BULLSHIT REFS in the AFC Championship game sorry lol

LeBlanc, who has been pitching well in his latest role, is 3-0 with a 2.63 ERA and has yielded only 11 earned runs in nine starts -- capped by 7 2/3 shutout innings (two hits, no walks, nine strikeouts) against the Red Sox.
He is just 33-35 with a 4.23 ERA in his career, but much of the negative numbers are in the past -- at least for now.
Wright has been outstanding since making his delayed 2018 debut (after knee surgery and a 15-game MLB suspension). He is 2-1 with a 1.23 ERA and gave up just the one losing run in the matchup with LeBlanc.
He is 2-2 with a 1.31 ERA in four games (two starts) against the Mariners. Kyle Seager is 3-for-9 and Nelson Cruz 2-for-6 (both .333), and Zunino is 1-for-8 (.125) and Dee Gordon 1-for-6 (.167) against the knuckleballer.
LeBlanc is 1-0 with a 3.24 ERA in three career starts against Boston. The Current Red Sox roster is a combined 3-for-16 against him. J.D. Martinez is 2-for-3 (.667) and no one has with more than three at-bats against him.

I always look at wind with knuckles. I understand tossing into headwind type is always MUCH better than tail wind, but I think certain stadiums really negate this characteristic

Makes a lot of sense but, in fenway up around the plate wind is probably swirling a lot I would guess. But report has it blowing in from right to right to left

Boston line coming down but hard to make much of rlm with pretty decent Boston chalk. I think people are just wanting to buy a „good team“ (no sarcasm intended) with strong pitcher at a big plus.

Total very even in % but i see totals rising

Fenway not a homer park and Johnny is correct, to the best of my knowledge a head win makes it bounce around more although putting it over the plate counts for more. I sat behind home plate one night when Wake was pitching and watched that ball dance around coming in and I honestly don't know how anyone can hit a knuckler. Regardless I tend to agree with VC about the under as the sox are just coming off their longest roadie of the year and they do struggle a little more against lefties and they are in a bit of a funk currently although they scored a few yesterday

two easy outs at the bottom of our order with vazquez and swilhart, but martinez playing left may cost us a run, but he hits much better as a dh than as a fielder....good luck

Yea I mean if the knuckler isn‘t moving well then it‘ll be just like a 70 mph fastball Wright had these kind of games against Baltimore last year like that 8-run affair. I guess he‘s off tonight

1-0 game when These two met a week ago tonight the total is a 1 run higher tonight n they it in the first inning... fkin vegas

I thought the total was high just figured it was because it‘s not exactly sale and scherzer in terms of rep but the lineups are strong and its not pitcher-friendly safeco park (big diff from fenway i think)

I hate betting on what seems obvious i just dont know when im supposed to fade wright lol either his knuckler is on or its not and its been on lately. I guess it was „due“ to be off at some point? And ill take a good lefty any time vs bo sox. Idk. Wish i knew how to prevent falling for this kinda trap. Ill look at total from previous match-ups next time. But usually the % is an indicator and by no means was like 80% on under it was even and total moved up which i guess wasn‘t public but sharp which makes sense because public has recency bias so they assume same thing happens

Wish i knew how sharps saw this happen. They looked at his knuckler during warm ups lol? Or sth johnny was saying about the wind?

Hey man, if you’re gonna lose it’s better to never have a chance then to have lost the 1h wager on a cheap run w 2 outs in the 5th or something. Cant win em all bro, you win more than most. You’ll bounce back tomorrow no doubt!

Fenway not a homer park and Johnny is correct, to the best of my knowledge a head win makes it bounce around more although putting it over the plate counts for more. I sat behind home plate one night when Wake was pitching and watched that ball dance around coming in and I honestly don't know how anyone can hit a knuckler. Regardless I tend to agree with VC about the under as the sox are just coming off their longest roadie of the year and they do struggle a little more against lefties and they are in a bit of a funk currently although they scored a few yesterday

I'd guess BOS has an incredible home record over the long run, no idea how it could not be a homer park

1-0 game when These two met a week ago tonight the total is a 1 run higher tonight n they it in the first inning... fkin vegas

completely different park that explains at least a 1.5 run difference

I'd guess BOS has an incredible home record over the long run, no idea how it could not be a homer park

Back in the day before they rebuilt the 406 club ( the section behind home plate) it was a homer friendly park.....after that construction it changed the wind currents in the park and homers became harder to hit there. It is a great doubles park thus the high number of runs put up there

completely different park that explains at least a 1.5 run difference

VC....you can never tell with the knucklers....the sharps don't know either.....i watched wake for his entire career and wright for the time he has been here....no one knows including the knuckler himself....wake used to say that he couldn't even figure it out during his warmups, he never knew until he got in and started throwing to the batters...i do know that a following wind is bad for the knuckler and a head wind is good....i gotta admit i got a chuckle out of losing the wager in the 1st inning

onward and upward

Back