Boston College v. Florida State

JimmyHoffa

Pretty much a regular
I'll try to keep up with this information weekly. Maybe it will help some members with any decision on the game...enjoy.

FSU NOTES: Back up QB to be named later in the week.
Xavier Lee has been suspended for academics. He must have slipped up again, or not followed through with his assignment (before the Wake game).

D'Vo:
- he's the best qb in camp
- jimbo cant stop praising him
- he says he's going to quit baseball
- says now he's going to play baseball...
- switches positions to WR (looks good)
- gets to see a live snap before Xavier this season...
- now he's running #2.

Monday Injury Report:

Marcus Ball participated in practice. He expects to play against Boston College. I caught up with him and he talked about how bad the high ankle sprain he suffered was.

Rodney Hudson participated completely in practice and expects to play against Boston College.

Andre Fluellen continues to practice and hopes to play this weekend. The elbow is about 85% now according to Fluellen. He still does not have full range of motion. He said the fingers are getting better but they are still wrapped heavily. He is using a 4-point stance at this time.

Antone Smith was limited in practice according to Bowden. They hope to have him back 100% by Wednesday.

Greg Carr participated fully in practice.

Justin Mincey had his left wrist heavily wrapped. He participated in practice.

Tuesday:
Jimbo Fisher says Carr and A. Smith are practicing and will play.

On Monday afternoon, offensive coordinator Jimbo Fisher spoke to the media. Fisher discussed the offensive struggles in the redzone, the status of Antone Smith, Greg Carr, and Rodney Hudson, who will replace the injured Richard Goodman, and much more. Fisher also talked about Boston College's quarterback Matt Ryan.

Q: Do you expect to have Antone Smith for this game?

JF: Yeah, yeah most definitely he will be okay from all the reports we are getting. He should be fine.

Q: Do you expect him to practice on it?

JF: He should be. He should be full go and playing.

Q: What about Greg Carr?

JF: We got a very encouraging report. We expect him to be full go and out there catching balls and doing what he has got to do. There was very minimal swelling in it. It was good that we got to rest him in the game and not aggravate it. We should expect him out there for full practice all week.

Q: Was that a precautionary move?

JF: Well, I think it was precautionary. He could have played. We got the game going and we were throwing and catching, not dropping, the other guys were executing and doing well. He didn't practice as much last week because of the soreness in it but it has really recovered and it feels really good from what I understand of the last few days. I think he should be full go.

Q: Was the number of receptions, nearly 10 for three different guys, was that a function of Drew feeling more comfortable and having one less guy?

JF: I think it was. He had the three rotation and they were the guys coming up and getting the throws. It was just the way the reads and progressions were going. That is where they were. They were trying to make us be patient and execute down the field. We were throwing and catching well for the most part and that is just how it worked out in the progression of what we were calling.

Q: He is seeing his second and third reads better?

JF: Yeah, I think he made good choices in that game as far as understanding where to go with the football and the weakness of the defense or where the one-on-one coverage was. He made some nice second choices and some nice thirds. One on the other side of the field one time on a good read where they took away one side. We felt very comfortable with his decision making in the game. It was very good. His decision making in the game and the reasons he went places for what he did and all those things was excellent in the football game.

Q: Were there a couple opportunities where he could have taken shots and he didn't?

JF: No, really after we had a couple opportunities early on some shots we got behind them and we didn't execute and let a couple of opportunities slip through our fingers. Then they did pretty well at getting back and taking the deep balls away. We could have maybe thrown a couple of jump-ball types of things but we had guys underneath that were open and we could keep getting first downs and we were able to run the football so we wanted to keep ourselves in a good down and distance situations so we were just trying to make the right decisions. I can't really think of a time off the top of my head where he didn't take a shot and he was capable of taking a shot.

Q: How encouraging was it that for the first time in a few years you had back-to-back 100 yard rushing games from a back?

JF: It makes it a heck of a lot easier to call the game. I know that. When you can run and pass and you are getting yards out of your running game and you are producing in the running game it is like I always say you try to get balance. We are working there. By no means are we where we need to be but we are making sure we give our at-bats. To hit the ball, you have to swing at it. So we have to keep giving the at-bats there and sometimes even when you make yards or don't make yards it is about what you make the defense do and have to respect that can open up something else. We have to continue to forcefully run the football.

Q: Coach Bowden said after the game that he thought Antone selected his holes better, how much of it was that and how much of it was the offensive line?

JF: I think the offensive line did a much better job and I think he did a much better job even as the game was going on. Picking and getting the extra two, three, or four yards and the leans. I think it is just a matter of anything you get confidence in what you are doing with more at-bats and with more repetition at something the better you will get at it. As the game went on he progressed and kept reading and doing better and in turn we had a decent night.

Q: What have you seen from the offensive line as far as progress?

JF: Lot more consistency, lot less errors, lot more communication, the technique has gotten better. We are trying to keep them in the same mold of doing things – technique. We just keep preaching and pounding. Like I said, we are not going to change. We are going to keep doing what we are going to do and you can't change. You get them one way and then you try and change and do something else scheming and doing things – we have to allow them and their abilities to keep progressing in a mold where we keep doing the same things.

Q: Is it a case of the offensive line finally getting more comfortable and understanding what their new position coaches expect of them?

JF: I think it is. I do. I think it is what we do as an offense, they understand what we are trying to do offensively and the philosophy of the things we are trying to do. It is like anything, the longer you are in your job the better you understand it. I think that is what is happening.

Q: Drew (Weatherford) said earlier that the biggest thing they have to do in the red zone offense is cutting out mistakes, is there anything you can do from your prospective, maybe scheme wise, that might improve your success?

JF: Just keep practicing. I think part of that in the red zone to is that it is an area where you have points. You don't want to make a mistake down there because you do have points but at the same time you have to be a little risky because in the red zone things happen quicker, tighter, faster and the holes are a little bit littler. We had some opportunities and just missed them. A little high, a little off. Just some things that I think not wanting to make mistakes while at the same time you still want to be (successful). You are kind of contradicting yourself – hey, don't do anything crazy and be smart but hey stick that ball in that hole. I mean, it is kind of contradicting yourself. I just think that more at-bats in practice and getting him in a comfort zone. We are going to continue to practice more down there because that is where we have to learn to finish. When we are moving the ball we have to learn to finish and make those plays. Occasionally down there we have to break a run, we have to break a tackle, or break this, because everything is tighter and we have to break a run or a guy catch a ball and make a guy miss after he catches it and get an YAC yard like Preston (Parker) did on that bubble when he dove in and did a great job. Down there, nothing is going to be clean ever, a throw, a run, a catch and a run, we have to learn to just keep pressing that and keep fighting for that extra yard. Sometimes you break through and score that 20-yard touchdown instead of having to inch it up all the way down through.

Q: Will having Greg Carr out help in the red zone?

JF: I think it does because Greg is a great red zone threat because of his size and what he does. He allows you to go over the top of things. He will be a good asset.

Q: Is Antone Smith a kid that sometimes needs to re-focus? There seemed to be a play where he missed a hole, the next series Jamaal (Edwards) got the snaps, and then he came back in and made some nice plays.

JF: I think I remember the situation. You keep trying to point out mistakes but if you give a guy enough at-bats he is going to make a mistake. If you run the ball 25 times you are not going to make 25 perfect reads. That is just the way it is but sometimes it is (focus) and sometimes that can come from being tired and fatigued and we have to keep putting Jamaal in there to give him reps because he runs the ball a lot. It is like any of us, when you guys write, as you are writing a story and you are working on it for six hours you are not as sharp as you were working on it in the first hour. Sometimes your mind will drift and you have to catch a breath and get your bearings back and go back in the game and you are able to see things and sometimes see your mistakes. Sometimes you see what you do, I did that, okay, keep my eyes here, you train and you focus. There is no doubt that has to happen. That has to happen with all positions though. With the running back you are just fortunate enough to pull him out and give him a minute and give him a blow and get another guy in there.

Q: Your philosophy in the red-zone about getting points, even if it is three points, is that a fine line you struggle with?

JF: No, I don't. I want to be aggressive. I try to be aggressive and go get seven. I don't want to do that. I just think it is where your players are at that time and where they are in their development and how they feel within the situation with the guys you have out there. I want seven. A player thinks that way because that is the thought process you put them in. Hey, that is the first thought, we are in the red zone, we want to be aggressive, things happen quicker, faster, and tighter but we do have points, we don't want to be careless with the football. Careless doesn't mean to be cautious, it means don't be stupid. That is the line you have to do. Everybody's comfort zone, it is like driving down the road, some people are comfortable missing a car by six inches and some people when they get within sixty feet are nervous as heck. I think that goes back to how each player and each quarterback feels in his comfort zone down there and what his safe zone is.

Q: How much does (Gary) Cismesia's success this season influence that?

JF: I know once we get down there that he has been kicking good but I actually haven't really thought about that because we have been trying to stress getting touchdowns. A lot of it is like I said, we had a couple times in the running game I actually thought we should have made the run and that we had the blocks to stick it up in there a couple times and we just didn't. I think it is a total team thing. It is not just a quarterback thing, not just a receiver thing, it is a total team thing and we just have to keep focusing and getting used to scoring touchdowns. It is hard to have 535 yards and 25 points, I am serious. You go back and think about it and think about how many times you seen that. It is hard to do that.

Q: Do you have to be more aggressive with the situation you are going to be in on Saturday against an opponent such as Boston College?

JF: I think we are playing an excellent football team who does not beat themselves. They play extremely, you watch them on film and you sit there and say we can get this and this, nope, nope, nope. They make you execute everything you do. You are going to have to block them, throw it, catch it, you are going to have to earn every yard you are going to get. We are going to have to take chances and be aggressive and when we get our opportunities, those three or four times we have to capitalize. If you are fortunate enough to get that many, they are only giving up 16 points a game and giving up 55 yards a game rushing, so it is going to be a donnybrook. They are going to be one heck of a team to go up against and when we get our opportunities we are really going to have to capitalize.

Q: At this point in the season, is it the passing game that opens up the running game for this team?

JF: Maybe, I guess you could say we are a little more like that. As the running game comes, I think we will have a little more of an even balance. I would say right now, that I would have to say that.

Q: How does that affect you looking ahead to Boston College?

JF: Well, like I was saying we are still up here making decisions right now. We are still finalizing the first stages of what we are going to do. As you look at them, there are not many weaknesses. We are trying to get our 1st and 10 stuff done right now and second down, and our running game and stuff, there are not many holes. Not a lot of people have been able to run that dadgum thing on them, that is for sure.

Q: Do they not come after you as much, blitzing and brining pressure?

JF: They are a big, strong, hold the point, they will twist, but they do blitz you, fire zone you, and come after you and try to create pressure that way. They are not like our defense where they have their hand in the dirt and they are charging up the field real fast but man they are big and strong and they can run. They are big bodies who actually do a good of running.

Q: Is their run defense a bit misleading though with how so many teams have had to come back on them?

JF: Because of their offense.

Q: Virginia Tech had success on the ground against them.

JF: Well that was probably because they weren't scoring on them. They kept that game where they were ahead and tried to run it. That is what they do, Virginia Tech is a very good running team and physical. I don't know that because when I watch them not many people can block them. Not many folks stay with them as you watch. When you watch them you see they are ahead so people can't run but that is not the case with them. They don't stay blocked very long. You don't see people, even Virginia Tech, Orr made runs and he made plays but those guys didn't stay blocked. As you really watched the film it was a lot of great effort by him that particular night. I think Virginia Tech was pretty pumped up, juiced up and he was running pretty good but they still didn't stay blocked in that film. They came off blocks really quick and made some big hits on him.

Q: You said Drew looked more relaxed and like he was having fun last week and he backed that statement up with how he said he felt when he played, is that maybe the most encouraging thing from this game?

JF: I think it is. You have to relax and have fun playing this thing. The pressure and we all want to have success and all that but you still have to enjoy what you are doing. I still have to enjoy coaching. You still have to enjoy what you are doing to be good at it. I think there comes a point where that pressure hits and you put so much on yourself, you have to say heck with this, I am going to play ball and do what I do and I know why I am here, I was recruited here, I am a good player, I know what to do, and quit worrying about the outcome of it and quit worrying about losing or making a mistake and worry about making plays and having fun. You have to reverse the psychology of how you think about things and I think that is what he did. As you do that, I think you have better success.

Q: Coach Bowden commented that Richard Goodman had become a leader, how does his loss affect you?

JF: I will tell you what, he makes plays on the field plus his enthusiasm at practice. He is an energizer bunny at practice. He is the guy that always keeps things going. It will be a loss. I hate going out to that practice field and missing him out there. He was having a great year, stepping up, doing things. He will be missed.

Q: Will you have Rodney Hudson back this week?

JF: Yes, Rodney will be back which will be great. It will give us some more depth and relief and we will be able to rest some guys. Plus we are getting a great player back.

Q: You got a good look at (Joslin) Shaw against Duke.

JF: It was great for him to get back in there and get in the mix. He made five big catches I think in the game. One of them was a big third down conversion that was there. He made two or three things happen. Shaw is a tough guy. Shaw has been out there in the past, he does a good job running with the ball because he is an ex-running back. It was great to get him out there because he is a great young man and I am glad to see him have success. You never know, somebody steps up every time.

Q: With Goodman down, who is going to move up in the rotation?

JF: With Carr back.

Q: Who will back up Carr?

JF: You have (Damon) McDaniel still in there and (Rod) Owens. There are those two other guys plus the other four that can come in there.

Q: McDaniel has missed the last two games?

JF: McDaniel got in there for a few plays this last game. He was in a few plays last game. He had the situation at home and that is why.

Q: Can you talk about this opportunity with the next month with the team being the underdog in likely a few games over the next month?

JF: I hope they handle it very well and that they look forward to the challenges. As I said before, as a coach or a player in Division I football, you are always going to be presented with challenges and opportunities, it is about what you do with them and how you maximize those opportunities. I hope we prepare for those opportunities. That is what I am anxious to see, how we do in practice, how we prepare during the week, how we practice during the week, if we take those good habits and take them to the practice field and hopefully carry them over to the games. It is a great opportunity because Boston College is No. 2 in the country, playing their tail off, playing great football, and it is a chance for us to go play a great opponent and for us to see if we are progressing as a football team and see how we step up to the challenge and how we can execute in a hostile environment and do that. It is a great opportunity and is going to be a great challenge.

Q: How much does it mean that Drew has had success in that stadium?

JF: Yeah, he has. As an athlete I remember that sometimes when you walk in somewhere you get a good feeling like hey I did something good here. That doesn't mean you are going to do it again and it also means they remember that. So they are prepared for it. You have to extra prepare yourself to go in and do it to them again. He knows that. It should be a good feeling for him. Hopefully he will have confidence going in. It was last year's game, I think we were on the 10 or 12 yard line or something down there and had a chance to go in and tie it in the last few minutes of the game and had something bad happen. This game has gone to the wire two years in a row. A lot of the same football players are on the field on both sides. Hopefully we can do that again and get a good feel well he is up there as well as have a good week of practice.

Q: What do you see out of Matt Ryan?

JF: I always measure quarterbacks by when it is not their day. They all have the time when it is their day. I like to measure them when it is not their day. Last Thursday night was not his day until the last two minutes. That is how you measure in my opinion those great ones and he has those qualities. I have watched him two or three times following him watching him play against teams we get to play on film and he is a guy who if he has the ball in his hands they always have a chance to win. They are never out of it. His leadership. I think that is the belief that team has, that is the bell cow. That is the guy they follow. That is like when I coached Jamarcus (Russell), we always knew that on long as he was on the field our team felt they could win the football game. He is a great one. I think that is the feeling you get when you watch him. What he did last week, to throw it once, get it called back, and to turn around and throw it again, he didn't get fazed and didn't fluster when they were behind and it was 90 yards away and four minutes to go. That was a phenomenal effort, a phenomenal effort for a great football player. I have a lot of respect for him now.

Q: Does he look like he has all the throws?

JF: He does, he moves, he buys time, he is accurate, deep ball, short ball, quick ball. Different arm angles. Different things, he just seems to have the whole package.

MY NOTES:
The running game is improving. Mickey has issued a wake-up call to the Defense since the Miami game.

“They're going to complete some passes,” FSU defensive coordinator Mickey Andrews said. “But we need sacks, we need pressures, we need intercepts, we need breakups and we need TV timeouts.”
TV timeouts? Please explain---you don't like 4 hour games?“ I'm talking about hit a guy so damn hard, he can't get off the field. (Sorry for my language; don't put that in there). When I refer to TV timeouts, I'm talking about licks that you've got to stop and bring the army out there to check on them,” Andrews said.
I thought you were talking about going to the booth. "Well, we won more Saturday, than we did the Saturday before..."

If FSU can make the plays in the redzone, and get TDs rather than FGs, they could pull the upset. I like them in the spoiler role. GO NOLES.

PLAY:
FSU +7 (2units) WIN

Others:
Maryland +3 (2units) EVEN
Wake Forest -1 (2units) LOSS
Iowa +3 (2units) WIN
Ball State +7 (2units) LOSS
New Mexico +6 (2units) LOSS
Missouri -3 (2units) WIN

Adding:
Troy +15 (2units) WIN
Connecticut -2.5 (2units) WIN
Miami -12 (2units) LOSS
Georgia Tech -2.5 (2units) LOSS

Last edited:
Shakeup at quarterback (By Gene Williams, Warchant.com)

There was another shakeup at quarterback on Monday but it wasn't the usual shakeup Seminole fans have come to expect. Instead of another switch with who will line up under center, Florida State issued a press release stating that head coach Bobby Bowden announced the suspension of Xavier Lee for two games. The junior quarterback from Daytona Beach (Fla.) will continue to practice with the team but will not travel to either of FSU's next two games -- Boston College and Virginia Tech.

Following Monday night's practice, Bowden gave a little more information on the nature of the suspension.

"Xavier (Lee) has been suspended for two games for violation of academic policy," Bowden said. "That's about all I can say about it."

<!--Start Richardson D run (med) Image--><SCRIPT language=Javascript>document.write(insertImage('http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/1061/560044.jpg', '560044.jpg', 0, 407, 242, 1, 'Richardson\'s only experience in college is this run against Alabama.', 'Gene Williams - Warchant.com', 1193717089000, 'Richardson D run (med)', 1061, 'Align=Left'));</SCRIPT><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=250 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=244>
560044.jpg
</TD><TD width=6 rowSpan=4>
spacer1.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>Gene Williams - Warchant.com</TD></TR><TR><TD height=3>
spacer1.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>Richardson's only experience in college is this run against Alabama.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- End Richardson D run (med) Image-->Bowden also pointed out that Lee's suspension has nothing to do with the academic fraud situation that was reported to the NCAA back in September.

With Lee out of the lineup for at least two weeks, the big question becomes whether D'Vontrey Richardson and Christian Ponder will step into the number two quarterback spot behind Drew Weatherford.

"We were working D'Vontrey (Richardson) and (Christian) Ponder," Bowden said. "I think D'Vontrey probably got more (reps). I don't know (who is considered to be the back-up); ask Jimbo. He probably doesn't know yet. We'll get a week of practice and see what happens. I hate for something like this to happen – but it happened. They have been getting some reps. Now they will start getting a lot more and we will see what they can pick up."

If Weatherford does go down, the offensive staff will be forced to rely on a rookie quarterback. Only Richardson has any experience at the college level and that experience consists of one play, a designed run in the September 29th game versus Alabama.

Despite their lack of experience, offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Jimbo Fisher believes both of his redshirt freshmen quarterbacks will be ready if they are called on.

"It's short (notice) but they've been practicing, they know reps, and know what's been going on since they have been to all the meetings," Fisher said. "D'Vo (Richardson) and Ponder have taken reps every week of the season so it's not like it's far fetched from what we are doing. They understand totally what we are doing. I would feel comfortable with either of them in the game, I really would."

Even though the two backups split time with the second team offense in practice, Bowden noted that Richardson saw a little more action on Monday. While a no clear No. 2 has yet been named, Richardson may have a leg up in the race. If he is called on to lead the offense, Richardson says he will be ready, but admits it won't be easy.

"I'm not scared but I'd say I'm getting kind of nervous because if something does happen (to Weatherford)," Richardson said. "Boston College is number two in the nation so I'm pretty sure that if I get in there that everything will be moving fast."

While Bobby Bowden and the rest of his coaching staff hope that neither of their redshirt freshmen signal-callers see the field, except in a mop-up situation, at least for Richardson the next two weeks will get him out of being exclusively on the scout team in practice.

"I hate wearing that gold jersey," he said. "I still have to gold jersey on but I'm just not practicing full time with the scouts any more. I feel my confidence has gone up whenever I get out on scout team."

Richardson said he has yet to decide whether he will join the baseball team in the spring but admitted that the possibility of competing for a starting job at quarterback will play a big role in his final decision.

[SIZE=+1]Carter, defense ready for high powered passing game[/SIZE] (By Derek Redd, The Osceola)

Florida State corner Tony Carter and Boston College quarterback Matt Ryan have gotten to know each other pretty well. They've faced each other in the last two seasons and will meet again this Saturday.

Carter knows he's in for a tough day against Ryan, whose game-winning, across-the-body touchdown pass against Virginia Tech has placed him among the leaders for the 2007 Heisman Trophy.

"He's very intelligent," Carter said. "He's not like any quarterback that throws to one receiver. He spreads the ball around and makes very smart decisions. He has a powerful arm and he's a winner. He has a winning attitude and he's a very tough quarterback."

Carter's been pretty good himself against the Eagles. He deflected two passes in 2005 and was part of a tackle for loss in 2006.

There might be a better chance to make plays this season against Boston College's passing game, Carter said. With a quarterback like Ryan, it's no surprise that the Eagles like taking to the air.

"I think the scheme is a little different this year," Carter said of Boston College's offense. "They spread out a little bit more. Last year, they were more of a run-based team. Now they're more of a pass-based team."

[SIZE=+1]Mostly good news on the injury front[/SIZE] (by Chris Nee, Warchant.com)

Florida State has been stung by the injury bug more than a few times this season. While they got some bad news this week with the loss of wide receiver Richard Goodman, a few starters should be making their return just in time for FSU's difficult November stretch.

<!--Start Ball M on field (med) Image--><SCRIPT language=Javascript>document.write(insertImage('http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/1061/549905.jpg', '549905.jpg', 0, 347, 228, 1, 'Ball returned to practice on Monday and expects to play Saturday.', 'Gene Williams - Warchant.com', 1193717629000, 'Ball M on field (med)', 1061, 'Align=Right'));</SCRIPT><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=236 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=6 rowSpan=4>
spacer1.gif
</TD><TD width=230>
549905.jpg
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>Gene Williams - Warchant.com</TD></TR><TR><TD height=3>
spacer1.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>Ball returned to practice on Monday and expects to play Saturday.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- End Ball M on field (med) Image-->One of those players is sophomore linebacker Marcus Ball, who suffered a left ankle injury against Wake Forest.

"It was a high ankle sprain," Ball said. "I nearly popped it. I thought I (broke) it because I felt it, heard it pop, and when I looked at it after taking the shoe and tape and all of that off it looked like a softball."

Two and a half weeks later, Ball is right back back on the practice fields preparing for a game. Based on his first day back, the speedy linebacker is optimistic that he will play against Boston College.

"I have felt better before but it felt good for the first day back at practice. … I did everything today," he said. "I can't miss no more games, I am not missing any more."

Another player who went down with an injury at Wake Forest was Rodney Hudson. The freshman offensive guard also expects to make his return this weekend saying that his sprained right knee is no longer a problem.

"I will play," Hudson said. "My knee is doing fine. I think I could have played against Duke but the trainers said I couldn't. I did everything in practice today."

While Ball and Hudson have long college careers ahead of them, another injured player is down to only a handful of games. That player is senior defensive tackle Andre Fluellen who has sat out the last two games while he rehabbed an injured left elbow and injured ligaments in his right hand.

"It has helped a lot," Fluellen said of the time off. "If I had been playing it would have been a lot worse than it was when I started. These two weeks off have really helped a lot. Before it was about 65-percent, now it is about 85-percent."

With battling two injuries, one that limits the range of motion in one arm, and the other preventing him from using two fingers on the hand of his other arm, Fluellen said that he has had to adjust the way he prepares for each snap.

"I kind of have to do a four-point stance now because I have to bend both of my arms," he said. "It is different from what I have been doing but I can still get the job done."

Head coach Bobby Bowden updated a few other injured players after Monday's practice. He said that running back Antone Smith, who is recovering from a minor ankle sprain suffered against Duke, was limited in practice but they have hopes to have him back to full speed by Wednesday.

Wide receiver Greg Carr, who did not play against Duke because of a sprained wrist, participated in Monday's practice and is expected to return to the field on Saturday.

[SIZE=+1]Notable[/SIZE]

- The ACC announced today that the Florida State at Virginia Tech game will be broadcast by ABC regionally and kick-off at 3:30 p.m.

- Defensive end Justin Mincey's left wrist heavily taped at Monday's practice.

- During his weekly press conference with the media, defensive coordinator Mickey Andrews mentioned that his squad had a season low six missed tackles.

I think it's important to note the time of the game (evening) along with the weather this time of year which will make for a slippery field...B.C. is used to the weather and the field, whereas FSU is not...plus, I really have concerns about FSU's ability to run the ball in the red zone vs. BC (just got done watching the Duke tape and FSU is baaaad in the red zone)...everyone knows I like a good dog, just not sure that FSU is one of them here...

TUESDAY PRACTICE:
Running back Antone Smith practiced but was held out of some drills. They said he was about 50%. Antone said he guaranteed he would play against Boston College on Saturday.

Defensive tackle Andre Fluellen is still limited with his elbow and hand injuries. Status for Saturday is still up in the air.

Offensive lineman Rodney Hudson practiced, but Coach Trickett said he's still working himself back to into shape. Said he will have a three-guard rotation this week. but excpet to see Hudson a alot.

Quarterbacks Christian Ponder and D'Vontrey Richardson split time with the second team, but we heard Ponder may have gotten slightly more reps today.

Comment:
It will be interesting to see how our quick OGs matchup against BC's 330+ pound DTs

Storylines: Two minutes separated Boston College from its first loss of the season last week. But QB Matt Ryan got hot late, and the Eagles remained No. 2 in the BCS. This week, Boston College returns home to play an opponent with an ineffective offense.
Players to watch: Boston College defensive backs Jamie Silva and DeJuan Tribble have nine interceptions between them. This week, they face Drew Weatherford, whose hold on the Florida State quarterback job is somewhat by default. Xavier Lee has been suspended for two games for academic reasons.
Best matchup: Florida State TB Antone Smith vs. Boston College's run defense. Here's something you probably don't know about Boston College: The Eagles are second in the nation in run defense. Florida State's running game is nothing special, but Smith does have back-to-back 100-yard games.

Business As Usual

They're exactly the same!

Their world is different than any other BC football world has been. They're 8-0 and No. 2 in the country, their quarterback is now a Heisman Trophy candidate, Florida State is coming here as an UNDERDOG. Everything's changed.

<!--Start Jagsnew200 Image--><SCRIPT language=Javascript>document.write(insertImage('http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/1007/547535.jpg', '547535.jpg', 0, 267, 200, 1, 'Jags is keeping this BC team focused.', 'Ken Babbitt', 1193858165000, 'Jagsnew200', 1007, 'Align=Left'));</SCRIPT><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=208 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=202>
547535.jpg
spacer1.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>Ken Babbitt</TD></TR><TR><TD height=3>
spacer1.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>Jags is keeping this BC team focused.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- End Jagsnew200 Image-->But they're exactly the same!

These BC kids haven't changed a bit.

Talking to them Wednesday, as they prepped to try to become the first 9-0 BC team ever, you felt like you were talking to any BC team that was about to play a MAC team or Army in September. No cockiness. No brashness. No chest-beating. No, hey, look at us.

The same. A bunch of smart kids knowing all they've done so far won't mean a hill of beans if they lose Saturday night with the whole country watching.

"I think guys are pretty level-headed and know where we want to get to this season, and we're not even close to being where we want to be right now," said DeJuan Tribble "We've been pretty successful, but we know we still have a lot of things to work on and out team can definitely get better from this (point)."

This is a variation on a theme, the "We haven't played our best game yet" theme advanced by Ty Hall not long ago. You know, deep down, these kids are proud of being 8-0, but they're not going to brag about it. Florida State is Saturday night – and forget the records, this is still Florida State coming to Chestnut Hill. The team is 5-3, 2-3 in the ACC, but this is still a team loaded with athletes, loaded with headaches.

And it's business as usual for these Eagles, something we have to again look back at Tom O'Brien for. The even-keel that man installed in this program can not be overlooked – and you just get the feeling Jeff Jagodzinski has taken that even keel to another level. We all know the O'Brien teams lacked that little extra umphhh at certain times. You don't get the feeling that's the problem here.

This team may lose. Heck, the Eagles could lose any of these four games left on the schedule. It's not a death march of a schedule, but there's no Army in these last four games, either. BC will have to play – and is also carrying that extra burden of being undefeated, that "bulls-eye" Jags and the players are always talking about.

"It's not over 'til it's over," offered Mark Herzlich (not Yogi Berra). "We still have games left to play and teams left to beat in order to get where we want to go."

The one-game-at-a-time thing really holds here. That's always the attitude with this team and, as players keep pointing out, the Eagles are loaded with veterans who understand what it's like to have a big bowl game taken away from you by one game, one letdown. Jamie Silva brought up that Syracuse game again yesterday. "We overlooked them, kinda, I guess, and they embarrassed us," he said. "We don't want that to happen again."

The veteran leadership on this team isn't about to let letdown get in the way of what these kids trying to do. But know this – none of the four teams left on the regular season schedule is as bad as that Syracuse team was.

That said, you have to look at a group of talented players like Florida State brings here Saturday night and know what the Seminoles are capable of. If BC has a bad game – and you can be bad without letting down – FSU can run right through the door. A couple of athletic plays by athletic players and it all goes out the window in one shot.

At least the shot in the national title game can, anyway – even though the system is set up for BC to quite possibly be left out even at 13-0. A loss in any of these games will cost any shot at the national title, but the lead in the ACC's Atlantic Division, while at one game, is really two because BC has already beaten one-loss Wake Forest.

Anyway, Saturday night should be fun. The fans have an extra hour to get juiced up and should be loud. It says here BC wins this game, 27-10 to remain at least the No. 2 team in the country.

The rest of the season is shaping up as a real playoff-lover's delight, isn't it. Is it possible that BOTH BC and Ohio State can get left out of the national title picture? Remember, the winner of Saturday's Oregon-Arizona State game (we're going with Oregon) is an immediate national player, and you have LSU and Oklahoma in the picture.

People complain about BC's schedule? Ohio State's hasn't exactly been loaded, either – even though last week's win at Penn State was impressive. I'm not enthralled by the teams Oklahoma has to beat, either. But LSU and Oregon/Arizona State? Those leagues are TOUGH.

All BC can do is keep winning and hope for the best. If the Eagles finish 13-0, there's a huge reward in that even if it's NOT a shot at the national title.

By the way, can we add throwing up on the sideline to Matt Ryan's toughness resume? Throwing up, just because of the intensity of the game, the adrenaline? To me, that's right up there with getting clocked by a Clemson player and refusing to stay down. This guy is something else!

As we said here the other day, move over, Doug!

As this was being written, I'm looking forward to our little "chat" tonight. At least with the protection of the internet, I won't have to wear a helmet or riot gear.

<OBJECT id=rvflash codeBase=http://active.macromedia.com/flash2/cabs/swflash.cab#version=6,0,0,0 height=60 width=620 classid=clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000>

<EMBED SRC=contentheadlines.swf?h1=Special+teams+lead+against+Hokies+&h2=&lwidth=620&lheight=60&lshadow=1&sFontColor=000000&sLink= WIDTH=620 HEIGHT=60 SALIGN=lt QUALITY=best SCALE=noborder wmode=transparent ID=rvflash NAME=rvflash BGCOLOR=#FFFFFF TYPE=application/x-shockwave-flash PLUGINSPAGE=http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash></EMBED></OBJECT><NOSCRIPT>Special teams lead against Hokies

</NOSCRIPT></P>Pete Fehn
EagleAction.com Staff Writer
<SCRIPT language=javascript> if ((bIEWindowBrowser) && (navigator.appVersion.indexOf("MSIE 6.") != -1)) document.write("<div id=outercontainer style='height:220px;'>"); else document.write("<div id=outercontainer>"); document.write("<div id=contentcontainer style='font-size: " + currentsize + "pt;'>");</SCRIPT>Talk about it in The Eagles Nest

Quarterback – B+

"Lost cause. Lets get 'em next time boys. We're still 7-1." After a rain-drenched and frustrating 56 minutes full of turnovers, penalties, incompletions and no points on the board, your average college quarterback packs it in for the night. But you see, our quarterback isn't average. Not even close. Matt Ryan left it all on the field on Thursday and led BC to what was truly an unbelievable victory. Ryan's intangibles and mental stamina in the last four minutes of the game trumped his previous poor play and left all the fans at Lane Stadium (minus the BC contingent) speechless.

<!--Start Vtech200 Image--><SCRIPT language=Javascript>document.write(insertImage('http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/1007/558190.jpg', '558190.jpg', 1, 267, 200, 1, 'Callender made the play when needed.', 'Steve Helber', 1193851452000, 'Vtech200', 1007, 'Align=Left'));</SCRIPT><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=208 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=202>
558190.jpg
spacer1.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>AP: Steve Helber</TD></TR><TR><TD height=3>
spacer1.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>Callender made the play when needed.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- End Vtech200 Image-->Running Backs – C+

Good news and bad news. The good – Andre Callender's catch with :11 seconds left. His effort to get so wide open against the prevent defense and ability to focus on the ball as it got lost in the lights and than reappeared in his arms was nothing short of heroic. The bad – everything else. The fast Virgina Tech defense and sloppy field limited the running game for the most part which had been so successful the previous few weeks. In addition, the blocking was almost non-existent from Callender, L.V. Whitworth, and Ryan Thompson – one of the main reasons why Ryan was flushed from the pocket so often.

Wide Receivers – B

Given the conditions, the wide receivers turned in a solid performance all four quarters. Sure there were a few dropped passes that were catchable but most of them could be attributed to the rain. When it mattered the most though, go-to-guys like Brandon Robinson and Rich Gunnell came through. Gunnell's over the shoulder catch for the first touchdown got things rolling in the 4th quarter and Robinson made catch after catch in traffic on the last drive to not only put the Eagle's in field goal range to tie it up but also within striking distance for the win.

Tight End – B+

If you put Matt Ryan's performance in the last 4 minutes in a league of its own, it was Ryan Purvis' performance the entire game that was in fact the class of the offense. He found ways to get into space better than any other receiver on the team and when he got the ball he managed to really rumble for that extra few yards. His sure hands and tough mentality have made him the go-to-guy on 3rd down's with 4-6 yards to go.

Offensive Line – B-

Overall, Virginia Tech's defensive line beat BC's offensive line pretty well. They were able to put some hits on Ryan, force him out of the pocket, and limit the running game. How much of this can be attributed to the weather and how much is due to BC's skill, strength, and speed (or lack there of) is debatable. Gosder Cherilus seemed to be the weakest link on Saturday which is not going to be the case very often and Anthony Castonzo struggled also. The extra 3 days of rest and refocus this week should get things back to where they were prior to the Virginia Tech game.

Defensive Line – B

BC fans got a little spoiled the first half of the season with this line so the Virginia Tech game looked a lot worse than it actually was for them. While it was frustrating to see VT bothering Ryan all night long in the backfield and than seeing Glennon have so much time in the pocket, the line came up with stops at the most important times of the game and played a major role in helping the Eagle's win the field position battle. Alex Albright is turning into a week-in/week-out playmaker and Damik Scafe was impressive also.

Linebackers – A-

The dominance and strength at this position on this team never ceases to amaze me. This week it was Tyronne Pruitt who stood out. I got the sense that he used the pounding rain and wild atmosphere to ignite a fire within and make some big time plays all over the field. It was also great to finally see Robert Francois have good game from start to finish. It is impossible to say that Mark Herzlich ever has a "quiet" game but if there is one game so far this year where that he didn't turn into "The Herzy Show", it was this one.

Secondary – B+

Dejuan Tribble getting fooled by Glennon's pump-fake for a homerun pass was really the only blunder all night long by the defensive backs. Virginia Tech always has tall and athletic wide receivers and the DBs, Jamie Silva, and Paul Anderson all did an outstanding job of limiting them the entire night.

Special Teams – A

BC went into the home of Special Teams Tech and came out looking like it was in fact the Eagle's that are known for their special teams finesse. From the first quarter, it was clear this was going to be a game won by field position and Johnny Ayers has proven all year long that he can win those types of games for us. He got the punts off quick and kicked them deep, every single time. Steve Aponavicius did exactly what he needed to do on the onside kick and Ryan Purvis and Tyronne Pruitt took care of the rest.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 6px; PADDING-LEFT: 6px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 6px; PADDING-TOP: 6px" vAlign=top>Quick Wednesday Update</TD><TD class="" style="PADDING-RIGHT: 6px; PADDING-LEFT: 6px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 6px; PADDING-TOP: 6px" vAlign=bottom noWrap align=right 1??></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<HR color=#cccccc noShade>As far as injuries, it appears that everyone who was questionable will play.

Andre Fluellen is the sod captain. Fluellen said he did a bit more regular work today than he had previously.

Bowden said that Smith is still improving.

Ponder did a little more work with second team than D'Vo according to Bowden. Bowden said he doesn't really feel either is ready but that they have been improving all year. He just doesn't feel they made a quantum leap since moving up to second team.

Talked to Derek Nicholson about what he remembers of A.J.'s game at Boston College. He is hoping to one-up his older brother.

Bowden talked about Billy Vizzini passing away. Said he did great things for his profession at Florida State.

More to come later.

Hoping to follow in his brother's footsteps (By Chris Nee, Warchant.com)

Derek Nicholson was only a freshman in 2005 when the Seminoles last traveled to Boston College but he remembers the game well. While he barely saw the field that evening, the game stands out because of what his older brother, former Seminole linebacker A.J. Nicholson, accomplished.

"I remember it very well," Nicholson said. "It was a big game. I was very excited for him. The first play of the game he intercepted the rollout pass and scored the touchdown. That game ended up being close so it was big."

<!--Start Nicholson tackle NCST (med) Image--><SCRIPT language=Javascript>document.write(insertImage('http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/1061/549296.jpg', '549296.jpg', 1, 299, 240, 1, 'Nicholson is tied for for the team lead in tackles with 58.', 'AP Staff', 1193896157000, 'Nicholson tackle NCST (med)', 1061, 'Align=Left'));</SCRIPT>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=248 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=242>
549296.jpg
spacer1.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>AP: AP Staff</TD></TR><TR><TD height=3>
spacer1.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>Nicholson is tied for for the team lead in tackles with 58.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- End Nicholson tackle NCST (med) Image-->The interception was far from the only highlight on that day for Nicholson. In the Seminoles 28-17 victory, the older Nicholson had a career-game racking up 19 (17 solo) tackles and two interceptions, including the one returned 19-yards for a score, against Boston College.

The younger Nicholson hopes he can one-up his brother when he steps onto the Alumni Field on Saturday night. He said A.J. has challenged him to hold up the Nicholson tradition against the Eagles.

"He tells me that us Nicholson's do good against Boston College," Nicholson said. "When we go up there we do good. He reminds me of how we play when we go to Boston College. He never hesitates to remind me of how well he played when he went to Boston College. He has told me to hold up my end of the bargain."

The 'Noles' starting middle linebacker hopes to one-up his brother's performance with his own career night for the Seminoles.

"We are a very competitive family," Nicholson said. "Anything I can do to have bragging rights against him on I will take that chance and opportunity and run with it."

Looking for some sod (By Chris Nee, Warchant.com)

Florida State football is built upon long established traditions. One of those traditions is "Sod Games".

A Sod Game is a road game won where FSU is a significant underdog, landmark road wins no matter who was favored, and all bowl games. If the 'Noles finish the game victorious, a piece of the opponent's field is added to the Sod Cemetery. When the Seminoles travel to Boston College this weekend, there will be clump of sod on the line.

Before each Sod Game, a player is assigned the responsibility of acquiring a piece of the sod if the Seminoles came away with a victory. Senior defensive tackle and defensive captain Andre Fluellen was bestowed the honor of being the Sod Captain for Saturday's game.

"Basically they told me that the last two times we have played Boston College it has been a sod game," Fluellen said. "We won both of those games. We just want to continue the streak, keep that legacy going, don't want to break that one."

Those games included a 28-9 victory in 1976 and a 28-17 win in 2005.

Even Fluellen's current position coach Odell Haggins has a memorable history when it comes to Sod Games, a history he probably doesn't want to repeat.

"They told me a story about Odell," Fluellen said. "He pulled out a knife and cut the sod in the middle of the field."

That Sod Game happened to be the 13-7 "Prime Time In Time" Sugar Bowl victory over Auburn in 1989. The chunk of artificial turf procured by then Sod Captain Haggins in the Superdome resulted in FSU receiving a $600 bill.

If the Seminoles are able to conquer the No. 2 team in the land, does Fluellen have a better plan of how he will acquire a piece of the field turf in Alumni Field?

"That is a great question," Fluellen said. "You will see me hiding over in some corner as I am trying to dig up some turf."

You can bet if FSU is able to upset the No. 2 team in the country that Fluellen will find a way to pull up a chunk to add it to the Sod Cemetery.

BC running backs also dangerous (By Derek Redd, The Osceola)

Matt Ryan has been a popular topic of conversation with the Florida State defense this week, but the Seminoles also have not just one, but two running back to worry about this Saturday.

<!--Start Image--><SCRIPT language=Javascript>document.write(insertImage('/IMAGES/Player/photo/ANDRECALLENDER200.JPG', '', 1, 267, 200, 1, 'Callender leads the Eagles in touchdowns (8) and rushing. He averages 82 yards a game on the ground.', 'AP Staff', 1193896365000, '', 1014, 'Align=Right'));</SCRIPT>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=208 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=6 rowSpan=4>
spacer1.gif
</TD><TD width=202>
ANDRECALLENDER200.JPG
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>AP: AP Staff</TD></TR><TR><TD height=3>
spacer1.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>Callender leads the Eagles in touchdowns (8) and rushing. He averages 82 yards a game on the ground.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- End Image-->Andre Callender and L.V. Whitworth have combined for 936 yards rushing and 11 touchdowns this season. Callender averages five yards a carry, while Whitworth averages 4.8 yards per carry. Defensive tackle Andre Fluellen said those two play a major part in allowing Ryan to succeed.

"Every time a running game sets up a passing game, you can get the defense on its heels playing the run, then dump one over the middle or dump one long," he said. "It goes hand in hand."

Callender and Whitworth are the same type of running back, Fluellen said. They have good size and can separate themselves from defenders as well as run people over. That, combined with a big, talented offensive line, makes the Eagles a tough group to defend.

"They have a well balanced team," Fluellen said. "They all play with each other. It's a hard team to play against they have no, well except for Matt Ryan, superstars on the team, but everyone does their job and everybody does it very well."

McMahon solid, BC D-line tough, says Trickett (By Derek Redd, The Osceola)

FSU offensive line coach Rick Trickett has had to lean on some young players this season, throwing freshmen and sophomores into the fire as starters. One starter, center Ryan McMahon, has worked out well, he said.

"I don't what to say anything without pecking on some wood," Trickett said, "but for a redshirt freshman … and he's gone out there and played every snap … the snaps have all been pretty decent so far.

"And he's got to make the calls," Trickett said of McMahon, who was named to the Rivals Midseason All-Freshman Team, "I think he's done really well, myself."

McMahon and the rest of the FSU offensive line will have to well Saturday, Trickett said. The Eagles employ a big defensive line that's very big (tackle Ron Brace weighs 325 pounds) in some places.

"Big, big, big, big and strong," he said of Boston College's defensive front. "They really play hard. They play hard all the time. If we have any lulls like we had in the Miami game or towards the end of the Duke game, we're going to have a problem. If we play 60 minutes the way we can play, they may have a problem.

While the Eagles have their strengths on the defensive line, Trickett said the Seminoles have some strengths on the offensive line that could allow them to play BC tough.

"They're very well-coached, they play hard, they're strong," he said. "I think we're a little bit more athletic, but they know what their system is. I don't think their defense gets quite as much credit for their success as their quarterback does."

Highlights from practice (from FSU Sports Info.)

- Skel covered two periods. In the first period the team worked on down and distance situations and the defense had a good drill. Jamie Robinson picked off a dropped pass and Anthony Houllis also grabbed an INT. Christian Ponder had a couple nice completions to Rod Owens and Bert Reed. When the ball moved inside the 20 Drew Weatherford hit Preston Parker for a TD and then the period ended with Bert Reed making a leaping one-handed grab for a TD.

While skel was taking place on field three, the lines matched up in pass rush on field two and the offensive guys had a good day. Rodney Hudson looked dominant winning three battles while Ryan McMahon won a couple as well. Daron Rose, Shannon Boatman, Jacky Claude and Brandon Davis also held up their men. On defense, Paul Griffin had the best day getting three QB sacks while Budd Thacker was close behind with two. Neefy Moffett and Kendrick Stewart also beat their men.

The first part of 11-on-11 was down and distance and it was dominated by the defense. While the offense made some plays, the biggest ones were turned in by the D. Justin Mincey recorded a tackle for loss, Tony Carter and Patrick Robinson broke up passes and Michael Ray Garvin recorded a sack. The offense was unable to score in the 1:00 drill. Weatherford and De'Cody I love sex connected a few times to move the ball down the field but an early sack by Everette Brown put the offense in a hole. The practice ended with Weatherford's pass to Greg Carr in the endzone falling incomplete.

- Longtime Florida State Football Video Coordinator Billy Vizzini passed away at the age of 36 following a battle with cancer. "I sure hate that," Bowden said of Vizzini's passing. "Old Bill has been our film man for so long. I'm sad for his family. He was very good at what he did and we always felt that we were in good hands with him."

- According to Bowden, redshirt freshman quarterback Christian Ponder got the majority of the reps with the second team offense on Wednesday.

- Bowden noted that Antone Smith (ankle) and Andre Fluellen (elbow and hand) both practice on Wednesday but both need to "improve a little" before game time. Greg Carr has practiced well and appears to be in good shape for Saturday's game.

Last edited:
Back