BoSox Want Hanley Back...

Smokedawg

Eagles Fan
Probly wont happen but FWIW...

The Red Sox made a play to re-acquire Marlins superstar Hanley Ramirez after losing out to the rival Yankees for star free agent Mark Teixeira, league sources tell SI.com. But while the Marlins listened to Boston's overtures, Florida isn't anxious to trade its best player, and talks apparently have been aborted after no agreement could be reached.

The Marlins were said to be most interested in a center fielder, and discussions apparently centered on Boston's promising youngster Jacoby Ellsbury, talented pitching prospect Clay Buchholz and others in a package for Ramirez, who began in Boston's organization.

The Red Sox first targeted Teixeira as a way to upgrade their offense, but after the rival Yankees won that bidding with their $180 million proposal over eight years (Boston was believed to be offering at least $170 million over eight guaranteed years plus two additional years that could be voided by the team based on plate appearances), Ramirez briefly became an appetizing alternative.

Though the Red Sox can't quite match the Yankees dollar for dollar, Boston is willing to think creatively to try to enhance its offense. While the cost-conscious Marlins listened to Boston's proposals, Florida would need to be overwhelmed to consider dealing Ramirez, who's considered one of the best young offensive players in the game. Since Boston is said to be happy with Jed Lowrie at shortstop, it's possible the Red Sox might have considered using Ramirez in center field.

Probly wont happen but FWIW...

The Red Sox made a play to re-acquire Marlins superstar Hanley Ramirez after losing out to the rival Yankees for star free agent Mark Teixeira, league sources tell SI.com. But while the Marlins listened to Boston's overtures, Florida isn't anxious to trade its best player, and talks apparently have been aborted after no agreement could be reached.

The Marlins were said to be most interested in a center fielder, and discussions apparently centered on Boston's promising youngster Jacoby Ellsbury, talented pitching prospect Clay Buchholz and others in a package for Ramirez, who began in Boston's organization.

The Red Sox first targeted Teixeira as a way to upgrade their offense, but after the rival Yankees won that bidding with their $180 million proposal over eight years (Boston was believed to be offering at least $170 million over eight guaranteed years plus two additional years that could be voided by the team based on plate appearances), Ramirez briefly became an appetizing alternative.

Though the Red Sox can't quite match the Yankees dollar for dollar, Boston is willing to think creatively to try to enhance its offense. While the cost-conscious Marlins listened to Boston's proposals, Florida would need to be overwhelmed to consider dealing Ramirez, who's considered one of the best young offensive players in the game. Since Boston is said to be happy with Jed Lowrie at shortstop, it's possible the Red Sox might have considered using Ramirez in center field.

Hanley Ramirez would look GREAT patrolling CF in the New Yankee Stadium.......:tiphat:
Get on it, Cash.

Mully :cheers:

Hanley Ramirez would look GREAT patrolling CF in the New Yankee Stadium.......:tiphat:
Get on it, Cash.

Mully :cheers:

hahaha. gotta admit that made me laugh.

wonder who leaked this to the media. obviously the marlins are gonna ask for the farm with hanley, but im curious to see if this triggers other teams to get involved with both fla for hanley or boston for their prospects. interesting to say the least.

Unreal how this story has already taken on a life of its own on Boston sports radio

:36_11_6:

the fish are a joke of an organization...so they will trade the best young player in mlb before they're forced to pay him. but that time hasn't come yet...

if i were them though...lowrie, ellsbury, lester, and bucholtz would be my starting price...but it would also take lars or dan bard to throw it over the top. ;)

after all...miami is so much of a smaller market than boston, lol. how can the fish expect to compete?

I'm with you yanks. With Rameriez's contract looking nice till 2014...

I ask for Buchholz, Ellsbury, Anderson, and Bard to even think about it...

and thats when theo probably walked away. im not sure who else they asked for with ellsbury and buchholz, but i would think anderson and bowden are non-negotiable. nothing for nothing, but if ellsbury, buchholz, lowrie, and masterson combo wouldnt get it done, then its not even worth the time for them to discuss.

quiet, texas. ;)
you still owe us for rescuing you from arod.

Funny that you say that...I was just thinking the other day how much things would've been different if Texas would've taken Manny and Lester from Boston instead...

Or at least taken Cano instead of Arias...

Or at least getting someone better then Brad freakin Wilkerson when Soriano was flipped...

Oh the life of a Ranger fan...

Back