Bonds to boycott HOF ....

This is bud selig's best possible situation. He dosen't directly tell bonds he can't be in the hall of fame but bonds himself would be pulling himself out of the hall of fame.

I would love to see a interview with this topic.

i say good for him for standing up for himself.

he firmly believes that the record isn't tainted, and he should continue to do what he thinks is the right for himself and his image. if that means boycotting the HOF, or anything else to do with his home run ball if an asterisk is ever branded to it, so be it.

I like Bonds...Im so sick of hearing about a tainted record...How many gotdamn people these day are testing positive and getting busted. Its seems everyday you hear about somebody new getting caught..Bonds never got caught and wouldnt even be an issue if he didnt break the record. Cant single him out because he is simply better then 99.9% percent of most players...Stolen bases, gold gloves, what does juicing have to do with that or hand eye coordination hitting a 88 mph curveball? Baseball of all sports I think is the less effecected in actual game play then any other sport by steroids,although it seems theres more mlb players then any other organization..at least for now

Just another example of him believing he's bigger than the game. He's always believed it, it's part of the reason he juiced himself to the gills to begin with.

Frankly, Bonds can eat it. His attitude as much as anything else he's done has been a cancer on the league for years now. Good riddance.

Good for Bonds... anything he did was within the rules that MLB had set forth.

If it's so easy to hit on roids and there was such an epidemic on the stuff, then why isn't everybody hitting the way he does?

I don't think the question is, or has ever been, do steroids make you hit the ball better. I think everybody would agree they don't.

Generally they seem to do two things, one, make you stronger--which generally translates into longer hits, and two, in the short term they help you recover quicker.

How that helps, obviously, is that balls that might not normally make it out if you weren't juicing do, and you need less recovery time than others so you have fewer 'off days' at the plate. And you can see it translate directly in guys' stats. Not just Bonds, but many other players as well. Guys who before they suddenly put on 30 lbs. in the off-season hit 15 HRs a year now are suddenly 30 HR guys or whatever. But those guys don't really make the paper.

Now, in the long run, the short cuts that steroids take to help you recover quicker seem to break down your body, but most athletes who take them don't seem to care about that. And, truthfully, as the drugs get better, the long term effects may actually lessen.

I also think more players have tried to do what these guys did, Palmero for example or Giambi or Brady Anderson, but the only guys who've found a way to really make the splash were talented guys to begin with who were able to stay healthy for an entire year. You look at Sosa, McGuire, or even Bonds and in the years where they set records they were lucky enough to stay healthy for that whole season.

There are also those who argue, with Bonds, that the contraption he wears on his elbow helps level out his swing as well.

What I've always wondered is not why more guys don't do steroids, but why they don't try to use one of those things.

he firmly believes that the record isn't tainted

LMAO! Yes, he "firmly believes" that he never juiced up! Dammit, he believes it!

The Bonds defenders in this thread are seriously providing me with great amusement and humor, so thanks to all of you.

Here's my thing, I'm not defending the use of steroids, but as long as it was within the rules of MLB at the time, I don't take issue, it's a personal choice.

Is it ethical to take performance enhancing drugs? not in the least bit. But in an industry of any professional sport where performance is a direct correlation with your pay grade, and you are given a window of opportunity within a governing body with no drug policy in place to increase your output on the playing field, chances are you're going to take it.

Will they put an asteriks beside the consecutive saves streak by Gagne, Ivan Rodriguez's recoreds for a catcher, Palmeiros 3000 hits 500 HR record, hell even any of Clemens' records. All have been implicated in steroids, all have records. All were taken and implicated before baseball had any sort of drug policy they could implement.

They knew there was a drug problem in baseball, but balls were flying out, they were coming off a strike year and nothing was done... when their minor league program had a policy.

Will Arod go through the same thing when he's one day chasing down Barry?

Here's my thing, I'm not defending the use of steroids, but as long as it was within the rules of MLB at the time, I don't take issue, it's a personal choice.

Is it ethical to take performance enhancing drugs? not in the least bit. But in an industry of any professional sport where performance is a direct correlation with your pay grade, and you are given a window of opportunity within a governing body with no drug policy in place to increase your output on the playing field, chances are you're going to take it.

Will they put an asteriks beside the consecutive saves streak by Gagne, Ivan Rodriguez's recoreds for a catcher, Palmeiros 3000 hits 500 HR record, hell even any of Clemens' records. All have been implicated in steroids, all have records. All were taken and implicated before baseball had any sort of drug policy they could implement.

They knew there was a drug problem in baseball, but balls were flying out, they were coming off a strike year and nothing was done... when their minor league program had a policy.

Excllent post....

even for a Canuck:tiphat:

of course he will. you know for a fact he will.

somebody in the media will write an article. there will be speculation, theories, and rumors regarding his career. the vultures will fly in to try and take the spotlight away from him with the mere mention of possible steriods use at a point in his career.

Nobody gives a shit about those records. Nobody cares about Palmeiro, or Gagne, none of those guys. They'll be forgotten in 10 years. The Bonds thing is different. McGwire, Sosa, and Bonds made a mockery of the game by hitting 66 and 70 and 73 homers in one season. But then Bonds broke the most hallowed record in professional sports, one held for decades by one of the classiest guys in sports. And the major difference with Bonds is the blatant, blatant use of juice. I'm sure you've seen the "before and after" pictures. A 4-year-old could look at those and know that something's up. If Bonds wanted to ride into the sunset and disappear like McGwire did, he should've retired one home run short of Aaron's record. Breaking Babe's record of 714 was enough to bear.

Of course he's gonna get more shit than these scrubs like Palmeiro and Gagne, and even Sosa. Those guys don't mean shit in the big picture, like generations from now. The Bonds thing impacts the sport forever. One can only hope that A-Rod will break the record, but the ridiculous and insulting number of 73 for a season will be there until the sun burns out and our species is extinct.

One can only hope that A-Rod will break the record, but the ridiculous and insulting number of 73 for a season will be there until the sun burns out and our species is extinct.

a-rod hit 54 home runs this season and he wasn't juiced....

how can you say he can't break the single season and all-time record then?

I never get into comparting 'eras' of baseball, because you just can't do it. Since baseball had an official rule book, it has changed every single year since year 1.

Babe Ruth would have had 70+ HR's added to his tally would there not have been a rule in place where a ball was foul even if it went over the fence in fair territory but hooked foul where it ended. Hell, he probably got a few HR's with the rule where what today is known as a ground rule double was counted as a HR (historians say he didn't)

Hank Aaron played in an era where pitchers routinely went 9 innings, and a bullpen pitcher was pretty much scoffed at.

Barry Bonds played within a 'steroids era'

All played within the rules that were set out for them by MLB at the time they played.

Who's to say, one day MLB and all ball parks will move the fences in 20-30 feet just to increase attendance and get those balls flying out of the park and we'll see 100 HR's in a season? You can't, again as the era's change so will the records.

a-rod hit 54 home runs this season and he wasn't juiced....

how can you say he can't break the single season and all-time record then?

There is a world of difference between 54 and 73. A difference that was proven true by the sport since the beginning of MLB. Until the juice.

But Santa, to really complete your argument, there would need to be honesty. If your argument is that, ok, they all did it, Bonds is just one of hundreds, and there's different eras and different shit happens in each era. Fine. Then Bonds, McGwire, and Sosa should come out and tell the world that they did it. If that happened, then I could entertain your argument. But the secrecy and lack of accountability and lying to the world, that isn't consistent with the argument you are putting forth.

You make some really good points, Santa. Most of which I agree with.

This is more a black eye on baseball than it is on Barry Bonds. He's just a symptom of a much wider problem, a much wider issue that actually speaks to major problems with the underpinnings of the game itself which few people ever want to address.

That all said, I also agree there should be no asterisk next to his record. I think the HOF should just spell out the controversy on his plaque like they do for everybody.

However, if we're talking about personal choice, what the fan who caught the ball wants to do with it is also his personal choice, and if he wants to put an asterisk on it, to remind people of the controversy, I think that's entirely within his right. More over, I support it because at least someone's trying to not sweep it all under the rug.

I'd love to argue the Bonds side of this whole thing but Killa is on the other side and I'm trying to enjoy my friday. Great points by Santa.

I personally can't wait to see Mitchell's report as I hope he comes with a laundry list of names.

I'd love to argue the Bonds side of this whole thing but Killa is on the other side and I'm trying to enjoy my friday. Great points by Santa.

I personally can't wait to see Mitchell's report as I hope he comes with a laundry list of names.

:smiley_acbe:

yep...i definitely agree w/ jpicks and santa on this one.

as far as i'm concerned, it's an equal playing field...just in the juiced era. imho, most all were 'cheating' to some extent w/ performance enhancers.

it's sad...but it's pretty much come to the point where you'd have to be proven innocent, after all the crazy names that've come out.

anyways, to me, it's simply the era...and most everyone was using. and mlb only has themselves to blame...

Back