Bonds signs with Giants for 1 Year, $16 million

• Thread starter Thread starter scourge
  • Start date Start date
S

scourge

Jesus

AKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. (AP) -- Barry Bonds and the San Francisco Giants reached agreement on a $16 million, one-year deal Thursday night, hours after the baseball winter meetings ended with just one major trade and only a handful of free-agent signings.

While most team executives packed up and left, the Giants kept trying to re-sign the 42-year-old slugger. Bonds has 734 home runs and is 22 from breaking Hank Aaron's career record.

Bonds and the Giants wound up with a deal that includes four performance bonuses that could make it worth a total of $20 million, a person familiar with the negotiations told The Associated Press, speaking on condition of anonymity because there had been no official announcement.

Barry played the Giants...
But in the end, neither side really had a choice...w/ the HR record about to be broken.
I am surprised SF paid so high still, regardless.

Yanks26Sox6 said:
Barry played the Giants...
But in the end, neither side really had a choice...w/ the HR record about to be broken.
I am surprised SF paid so high still, regardless.

thats what I was thinking, maybe 11 to 12 million, but $16? cmon

Have you not seen that Meche is making 11 Mill, Pierre 11 mill, Drew 14 mill. I'd say Bonds is worth 16. He'll make the Giants 16 million without a sweat due to the home run chase. I'm actually more suprised there aren't any "Mark Cuban" style owners in the MLB who know that Bonds would make them a shit ton of money this year regardless of all the controversies.

I am with JPicks here...Look at his last 2 months were there many better offensively then him...

Age will not slow him down his ability to battle injuries will be the only thing that slows him and down. No matter how good of shape your in the older you get the easier it is to tweak things and the harder it becomes to shake those injuries....plus the guy had a bum elbow from teh end of Spring Training till August.....

Everyone loves to hate Barry cause he is not Derek Jeter. As long as Barry aint killing anyone I dont mind his attitude much..the media IMO are useless idiots and should be treated as such. Not sucked up to cause your afraid they will tarnish your image......

As JPicks said look at the other signings what Barry got was chump change and a shrewd deal by SF....

I hear Pettitte with his bum elbow and waning desire will get 2 years bewteen 26-30 million......how many accolades has he won and how many people come especially to watch him pitch......

A healthy Bonds is worth at least 25 million at this point....he is still one of teh top 5-10 hitters in the league and his boxoffice with the HR chase is unimaginable ....

Baseball again has shown to be a disgrace this offseason. They will never get that buying players above true value will never work out . It will only lead them to dumping them off to the big market teams for less then real value...

JD Drew..u have to be kidding me! Meche I can understand throwing that type money at hme for 3 years but 5!! Its KC aint no one going there unless they get PAID...the Dodgers are a disaster......lets pay everyone to much...Nomar , Furcal , Schidmt , Pierre...

Love or hatem..juiced or NOT the simple fact is Bonds can hit.. One day everyone will look back and realize how silly the Steroid ERA was.....

Age will not slow him down his ability to battle injuries will be the only thing that slows him and down

It's his age that doesn't allow him to battle injuries anymore...he can barely run on that left knee..

16 mill is a lot but everyone is overpaid..

Baseball is out of control..

not a chance

Santacapper said:
give me Barry at 16 mill anyday over Petite at 16 mil

he's a liability everywhere except the plate. 8 to 10M woulda been fair, imo. but you guys do have a point. the teams are driving up the salaries yet again for all tiers of players.

Barry will have a MONSTER season this year.... I expect 35 + homers ,140 + walks , 300 avg etc, etc...

I have always liked Bonds ...I consider myself lucky to have been able to watch his whole career...the good and bad ....20 years from now i hope he will get looked back on with the respect he deserves ....

Kick some ass Bonds

Yanks26Sox6 said:
he's a liability everywhere except the plate. 8 to 10M woulda been fair, imo. but you guys do have a point. the teams are driving up the salaries yet again for all tiers of players.

yeah, definitely he doenst bring the gold glove anymore, but dont you think Petite is a liability every other start? 14-13 4.17 record isnt 16 million a year worthy IMO, no matter what he has done for the city and teams past.

Bringing in pitching is one thing, but having 3 guys on the staff who are 1 hamstring pull from retiring is not something to pin the WS on IMO

Go Jays'an_horse'

The only time I like bonds is when he is at bat. That bonds on bonds show was ridiculous and I didn't really care for him even more after that, but god I love watching him hit, it is an art.

lol to all the posts

HUNTDOG said:
The only time I like bonds is when he is at bat. That bonds on bonds show was ridiculous and I didn't really care for him even more after that, but god I love watching him hit, it is an art.

all very true....

but i do agree with this. forget everything else...during that HR run, it was beautiful. and it's all in his eyes.

sure is yanks...guy is an unbelievable hitter, on steriods or not, you have to appreciate the way this guy works the count, how quick his wrists are and how he hits it opposite field.

Back