Blue Jays will play home games in Florida to start 2021 regular season

DaRaiders

Pretty much a regular

Blue Jays will play home games in Florida to start 2021 regular season​

The COVID-19 pandemic will force the Jays to relocate again, this time to their spring training site​

[IMG alt=" Dayn Perry
"]https://sportshub.cbsistatic.com/i/r/2016/05/04/c0a15597-4cff-47bb-af43-ba14438a7b1c/thumbnail/80x80/09cf3709d5e0d290889dd9558213baff/daynperry.png[/IMG]

By Dayn Perry

& Matt Snyder

Feb 18, 2021 at 10:47 am ET1 min read

gettyimages-12100416201.jpg
Getty Images
One season after playing their home games in Buffalo, New York, the Toronto Blue Jays will call Dunedin, Florida home for at least the start of the 2021 regular season. That's because the still ongoing COVID-19 pandemic and Canadian border restrictions will not allow the Blue Jays to hold games in Toronto.
The club released a statement on Thursday:
"Like all Canadians, we had hoped to see improvements in the public health outlook as we neared the baseball season," the club said in a statement. "With the ongoing Canada-US border closure, the Blue Jays have made the difficult decision to play the first two homestands of the 2021 regular season (through May 2) at TD Ballpark in Dunedin, Fla., with the hopes of a return to play at Rogers Centre as soon as possible."
The bottom line is that so far, we know the Jays are going to host home series against the Angels, Yankees, Nationals, and Braves through May 2. That's the minimum, as it's possible they continue playing there. But the Jays are hoping to return home after that Braves series. At that point, they will make a determination on the next set of near-term home games and whether they can return to Rogers Centre.

Seems like a victory right out the gate, don't need to go through customs

They will also likely move back to Buffalo before Toronto when it gets too hot in Florida

There’s a nice little wind tunnel out to right field if what I saw during pre season is correct.

Better road trips for other AL teams this spring

Now, let's cap the ballpark.

Florida State League: At a Glance​

StadiumTeamRHRH
Tradition FieldSt. Lucie Mets1.1641.2521.080
McKechnie FieldBradenton Marauders1.1431.4211.048
Florida Auto Exchange Stadium
Dunedin Blue Jays1.1131.3051.022
Bright House FieldClearwater Threshers1.0371.3970.997
Jackie Robinson BallparkDaytona Cubs1.0221.2130.985
Charlotte Sports ParkCharlotte Stone Crabs1.0041.1800.989
George M. Steinbrenner FieldTampa Yankees1.0000.7211.031
Joker Marchant StadiumLakeland Flying Tigers0.9620.9130.987
Hammond StadiumFort Myers Miracle0.9610.8651.000
Roger Dean StadiumJupiter Hammerheads0.9260.6150.998
Roger Dean StadiumPalm Beach Cardinals0.8760.7570.949
Space Coast StadiumBrevard County Manatees0.8680.7680.934

Generally speaking, the Florida State League is the place to pitch. No affiliated league has seen fewer runs per game (4.2) over the past six seasons and no full-season league has a lower home run rate (1.5 percent), slugging percentage (.372) or OPS (.698).

While teams like Daytona, St. Lucie and Bradenton play in some of the league's more hitter-friendly parks, facilities like Brevard County, Fort Myers and Jupiter/Palm Beach are much more reflective of the overall low-run environment.

Good stuff.

did I see springer was hurt already? How long he out for? Seems like they have a really stacked lineup with him leading off!

Ontario went into lockdown for 4 weeks; probably correlates to another delay for the Jays. Back to Sahlen it would seem eventually

Yep, shouldn't be too big of a factor early

Grichuk is a decent backup at CF, and bichette can lead off

grichuk was a lot better in a Jays uniform than I ever seen him. Of course that seems to be business as usual for outfielders cards get rid of! Not only do we keep/part ways with all the wrong prospects even a established guy like Ozuna had his worst offensive seasons while he was here! Before we trade for him he a beast, is only decent here, we let him walk and he tears it up for atl!! (Worst part is we gave up alcontera as part the package for him, love that kid!). We cursed when it comes to outfielders!

grichuk was a lot better in a Jays uniform than I ever seen him. Of course that seems to be business as usual for outfielders cards get rid of! Not only do we keep/part ways with all the wrong prospects even a established guy like Ozuna had his worst offensive seasons while he was here! Before we trade for him he a beast, is only decent here, we let him walk and he tears it up for atl!! (Worst part is we gave up alcontera as part the package for him, love that kid!). We cursed when it comes to outfielders!
Well I hope Carlson works out, have him in a bunch of my fantasy

Back