Blue Jays vs Angels Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Blue Jays Will Soar Higher Than Angels Tonight

Both the Jays and Angels have been consistent losers lately. The Jays took game one of the series and are in a good spot to take game two at 7:07 ET.

Los Angeles Angels (26-22) at Toronto Blue Jays (22-25)

MLB Pick: Toronto +132

Don’t get excited about Angels starter Tyler Skaggs' (3-3, 2.88 ERA) apparent improvement. He has been overachieving this season because he is stranding batters at an unsustainably high 83.9% rate. His biggest improvements since last year had been to allow fewer walks and homers. But in the past two games he’s allowed a combined five walks and three homers. His FIP (like ERA, but factors out luck) in both of his past two games was over 4.40. The Jays rank in the upper half in BA with RISP, so look for them to bring runners home.

This season, Skaggs has reduced his fastball usage in order to throw more two-seam fastballs and become a more pronounced ground ball pitcher. His two-seamer is allowing a .169 opposing BA thanks to an unsustainable .200 BABIP (batting average of balls in play). The metric SLG-xSLG compares a team’s slugging percentage with a team’s expected slugging percentage. Skaggs’ opponents have massively underachieved against his two-seamer. For example, when Skaggs got the win against Texas, Texas generated a 97.2 mph average exit velocity against this pitch, helping generate a 1.064 xSLG against it because teams normally achieve high slugging numbers when they see a pitch well enough to make strong contact. However, their actual slugging percentage was .000 against the two-seamer. Because Skaggs’ major change this year is the enhanced usage of his two-seamer, he should be performing worse than last year. Skaggs doesn’t only have deeper problems with his two-seamer. In his past two games, he’s allowing hard contact over half the time.

The Jays are the most underachieving team against lefties based on SLG-xSLG. They are achieving the second-highest average exit velocity against pitches thrown by southpaws. Just like Skaggs’ numbers are due to regress, the Jays are due to improve. Furthermore, Skaggs is allowing the highest pull percentage among pitchers. This tendency matches up optimally with the Jays’ hitting preferences. Their hitters rank third in pull percentage, which is useful in their ballpark, which sees a well above average rate of extra base hits.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="de"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Every new streak starts somewhere. Tonight was a good night. <br><br>RECAP: <a href="https://t.co/HqGLSkQT3A">https://t.co/HqGLSkQT3A</a> <a href="https://t.co/ldIkQHQMBh">pic.twitter.com/ldIkQHQMBh</a></p>&mdash; Toronto Blue Jays (@BlueJays) <a href=" ">23. Mai 2018</a></blockquote>

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Toronto’s Aaron Sanchez (2-4, 4.47 ERA) is smartly reducing his two-seam fastball usage because opponents continue to slam it. Instead, he’s throwing his change-up with career-high frequency. He developed his change by separating it from his fastball. The velocity differential had been below average and the level of vertical movement was very close to that of his two-seamer. He creates more deception by throwing his two-seamer and change from similar vertical release points while dropping the latter pitch much less. His change has become his favorite whiff generator, so he throws it almost 40% of the time with two strikes. It has accounted for 73% of his strikeouts and allows a .155 opposing BA.

To compensate for his struggles last year against same-handed batters, the righty has dropped the vertical release points of his pitches in order to better disguise them. This season, right-handed opponents are batting .196 against him and he’s yielding a .90 lower FIP against them than against lefties.

He matches up well against LA’s righty-heavy lineup, which is metrically one of the least expected to continue its success against right-handed pitching. Only two LA left-handed batters are batting over .200, one of whom, Shohei Ohtani, is being figured out by pitchers. His slugging percentage is down .146 from April.

The Jays’ pen ranks eight spots higher than LA’s in terms of FIP and is fresh. So it will protect the lead and comprise the final reason why Toronto is a strong underdog choice.

Hopefully goes without saying that the positive tendencies I report are supported by metrical expectations. Just don't want to have to say that a billion times. I think that trends have more predictive value when they have that kind of support, because why should one otherwise expect the unexpected to continue happening? I could maybe see team rhythm helping to provide an exception--if a team just can't seem to lose, or if a team is at home against a team with a negative spirit meaning something like in let-down mode.

So surface look I thought oooh Angels -115 with a lefty. Goes without saying that surface numbers show Jays poor vs lefties, Skaggs much lower ERA and so on. Deeper look plus Pete Rose pounding Angels at some point tonight has me all over Jays. Of course surface numbers win sometimes. But I don't think they're as beneficial. Nor is it my style.

This is my personality style:

INTPs are philosophical innovators, fascinated by logical analysis, systems, and design. They are preoccupied with theory, and search for the universal law behind everything they see. They want to understand the unifying themes of life, in all their complexity.

INTPs are detached, analytical observers who can seem oblivious to the world around them because they are so deeply absorbed in thought. They spend much of their time focused internally: exploring concepts, making connections, and seeking understanding. To the Architect, life is an ongoing inquiry into the mysteries of the universe.

INTPs present a cool exterior but are privately passionate about reason, analysis, and innovation. They seek to create complex systems of understanding to unify the principles they've observed in their environments. Their minds are complicated and active, and they will go to great mental lengths trying to devise ingenious solutions to interesting problems.

The INTP is typically non-traditional, and more likely to reason out their own individual way of doing things than to follow the crowd. The INTP is suspicious of assumptions and conventions, and eager to break apart ideas that others take for granted

Last edited:
Contrarian and highly analytical. That's me. Gotten me in trouble in lots of areas in my life (had my life seriously threatened, for instance but that's another story lol and no it wasn't over a capping job lol) since I can be extreme about it.

Right-hander Aaron Sanchez (2-4, 4.47 ERA) will start for the Blue Jays against Angels left-hander Tyler Skaggs (3-3, 2.88).
Sanchez is coming off a loss to the Oakland Athletics on Thursday when he allowed four runs and five hits while striking out eight in four innings. He will be making his 10th start of the season Wednesday and tries for his first win since April 30.
In two career games (one start) against the Angels, he is 0-1 with a 3.24 ERA.
Skaggs also will be making his 10th start of the season. He took the loss Thursday against the Tampa Bay Rays after tossing six innings and allowing one earned run on six hits with three walks and seven strikeouts.
He has allowed two or fewer runs in eight of nine starts this season, including each of his past five starts.
In four career starts against the Blue Jays, he is 2-2 with a 3.86 ERA. He earned the win in his only start against Toronto last season at Angel Stadium on April 22, allowing two earned runs in seven-plus innings.

FF went perfectly. Seeing this piece of shit reliever ruin everything is pissing me off. Fuck you Axford

Maybe these asshole hitters shoulda hit with some more urgency while they were still leading. Just pathetic lost a well-capped play on a bout of randomness good stuff

Their pen is actually among the best in baseball. Losing Osuna is hurting them, making guys pitch out of their normal roles and more often. Tough beat. Had the right side bro.

Back