BlitzBandit vs. Braylon Edwards - In-Game

Joe Public

Gabibbo's Finest
So Braylon Edwards was all set to become a NY Giant, the rumor goes, then the Browns decided to f**k it all up.

Because they couldn't agree to which WR to throw into the deal, the Browns wanted Smith, the Giants said Dixon or Manningham, the Browns decided something else.

They said, all right, give us Kiwanuka. The Giants said no.

According to Sal Pal, now the Giants think they can play hardball and are holding firm with a second and a fifth in this draft.

And the Browns won't do that.

But, you know, it's Wednesday so stay tuned.

I saw same report from Sal. Why does he say that NY is only place Cle can move him?

I think it's partly because the Giants seem like the only ones who've expressed interest.

Which is kind of odd. Basically you know you're getting a number one guy, you just have to sign him to an extension. Really, it's almost like the Plex situation all over again. Big body guy who makes big plays, but may have a downside.

He's better than half the number ones in the league, maybe more.

I think they find a way to get this done. The Browns' firesale is underway.

According to FootballOutsiders DYAR metric, he was the 76th rated wide receiver (min. 50 targets) out of 79 LY.

honestly, I have never been sold on the rumor that Edwards is pretty much a done deal... I have to see it get done to believe it...

we went through all this last season right before the draft with Shockey.. all the rumors were flying that it would get done during draft day... in the end it got done, but it wasn't til right before the season began and it was for the same original agreement.

personally, I really do think JR believes we can get by with the receivers we have (maybe upgrade via draft if needed). He doesn't like to overspend on any one player and he doesn't like to give too much to get a player. I'm sure he'll do it if he feels it is really a necessity, but I don't think he feels Braylon is.

From the beginning the 2nd and the 5th were on the table as an offering. And from the beginning the Browns asked for Smith and JR refused and offered Hixon instead. Which I believe made Cleveland a bit less interested.. not sure though.

I hadn't realized they asked for Kiwi. If they did, I doubt JR will do it. I know I wouldn't. Plus, he just upgraded our D-Line with Canty and Rocky. He didn't do it to give Kiwi away, he did it to have strong depth and fresh bodies on the field all game long. That was the idea anyway. I'd see him trading Robbins before Kiwi. I also don't think he gives up a first, unless something (like a player) gets removed from the table.

I don't know exactly what's going on with Cleveland regarding Crabtree or their draft plans, but I do believe Mangini doesn't want Edwards.

Things look like they are pretty much in a standstill right now.

If something does get done with the Giants, it will probably be on draft day.. but that's a big IF.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4091378

Updated: April 23, 2009, 5:13 PM ET
Sources: Giants, Browns at impasse

Comment Email Print Share<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> var stobj = SHARETHIS.addEntry({ title:"Sources:%20Giants,%20Browns%20at%20impasse%20on%20Edwards", url:"http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4091378", published: "2009-04-23" }); stobj.attachButton(document.getElementById("espnstlink")); </SCRIPT>
<CITE class=source sizset="18" sizcache="11">By Sal Paolantonio
ESPN.com</CITE>
<CITE class=source sizset="18" sizcache="11">
Archive </CITE>
<CITE class=source sizset="18" sizcache="11"></CITE>

<!-- end mod-article-title --><!-- begin story body --><!-- template inline -->The New York Giants still have an interest in Cleveland Browns wide receiver Braylon Edwards as Plaxico Burress' replacement, but the two teams are at an impasse in trade talks, according to league sources.

The Giants are now treating the Edwards trade as dead and are focusing on taking a wide receiver with the 29th pick, perhaps Hakeem Nicks of North Carolina, or jumping ahead of the Jets at No. 17 to take Darrius Heyward-Bey of Maryland.

In various discussions, the Browns have asked for defensive end Mathias Kiwanuka and a first-round pick. Giants general manager Jerry Reese has told Cleveland that Kiwanuka is a deal-breaker.

In his last discussion with the Browns, Reese said the Giants might be willing to part with a second- and a fifth-round pick, league sources said. But nothing has come of it.

The Giants cut Burress on April 3, about four months after he accidentally shot himself in the thigh in a New York City nightclub.

Burress' status has been uncertain since the accidental shooting with an unlicensed gun he had stuffed into his waistband. He faces a felony weapons charge that could put him in prison for at least 3½ years if convicted. His next court date is June 15, but his attorneys and Manhattan prosecutors are still working on a possible plea agreement.
Burress, who was fined by the Giants and suspended after the shooting for the final four weeks of last season for conduct detrimental to the team, also faces possible NFL sanctions for violating its personal conduct policy.

Sal Paolantonio is an NFL reporter for ESPN. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
<!-- end story body --><!-- INLINE NFL.com Video (BEGIN) -->

The Browns must be really stupid to move WInslow and Edwards

It's the new front office and staff, they're literally blowing up the team and starting over. Word is 'everyone' (except Joe Thomas) will be gone within two years. Complete roster purge.

It hurts my soul.

John Clayton says this deal is done. He will not confirm that Blitz was a factor in its death, but I'm not sure he has to.

Oh, sorry, done as in not happening.

Apparently the Giants won't give them a number one, just a two and a three or whatever it is.

Funny thing is, I thought about this and as much as I like Braylon, he works better for the Giants (or the Browns) than the Birds. Whereas Boldin works better for the Eagles than he does in NY.

Keep hearing alot of Jackson for CLE at 5. They be dumb to go WR either way IMO.

Yeah, this guy from LSU seems to be flying up the board. Which, oddly, seems to be where he should have been all along.

Mel Kiper has him going to KC at three.

Funny thing is, I thought about this and as much as I like Braylon, he works better for the Giants (or the Browns) than the Birds. Whereas Boldin works better for the Eagles than he does in NY.

this is exactly my thinking as well. Both are great and have talent, but Edwards has the speed to stretch the field which is what the Giants need. Boldin is more of a possession guy if you would. Both have size and as much as I'd also like to say both have great hands, we all saw how bad things looked for Edwards last year. I'm still hoping that was more of a lack of motivation thing.

I'm still hoping that was more of a lack of motivation thing.

You and me both. That is, if he stays in Cleveland. If he goes to NY I want him to become a total basketcase.

=)

Apparently the Giants won't give them a number one, just a two and a three or whatever it is.

the more I think about it, I'm not so sure what the big deal is in keeping that number one pick (specially if it's to get Edwards). They will probably use it for a receiver anyway (thinking Britt or Heyward-Bey)..

the way I see it, we'll lose the first but still have two seconds and Edwards.

hmm.. not sure exactly what JR is thinking though.. just hoping he has something up his sleeve. hehe.

there was also rumors going around about the Giants trying to trade up to go for Heyward-Bey. I don't think he's worth moving up for so I'm thinking it could possibly just be smoke thrown Clevelands way.

Back