Blake Mitchell.........MORON!

E.T.G.

One of trus baby mommas
*Correction...This is the punishment he received from the beginning of summer practice. He was forced to sit out 2 practices but now Spurrier has come down on him for this. I guess it is a clear message to Blake, get your shit straight or you won't play. He will miss the home opener of his last yr, terrible

Steve Spurrier announced on Thursday that four South Carolina football players will miss the season opener against Louisiana-Lafayette.

The players are running back Bobby Wallace, cornerback Chris Hail, defensive end Jordin Lindsey and quarterback Blake Mitchell.

Spurrier said the suspensions are due to "academic reasons, missing class."

Spurrier also said it appears Chris Smelley will be the starting quarterback to begin the season.

Last edited:
Doesn't surprise me really...

I've read Spurrier has been pretty unhappy w/ a lot of what Mitchell has been doing attitude wise esp this summer and fall..

Jump - He has been unhappy and Blake, I don't get it. 5th yr and he still is doing stupid shit.

What an idiot. There goes the play on the first half I was going to take. Not like it should matter SU anyways but why do this on the 1st day of class. I want Newton back

wouldn't worry about mitchell isn't even that good and backup qbs traditional do very well well getting theri number called.

wouldn't worry about mitchell isn't even that good and backup qbs traditional do very well well getting theri number called.

I am not worried so much about Mitchell vs. ULL, Smelley can handle that team, it just bothers me that this jerkoff is still fucking around. He is suppose to be a leader and the kid is far from that. As far as the game goes, going to wait it out, hopefully there will be an over-reaction to the Mitchell news, the line will drop and the 1st half line will be like 15 or 16. I want to see how Smelley does with most of the reps this week and how Thind develops on the OL

Well...I guess that's one way to spin it Troy; if Mitchell isn't that good and Smelley backs HIM up...that makes Smelley what...great?

Well...I guess that's one way to spin it Troy; if Mitchell isn't that good and Smelley backs HIM up...that makes Smelley what...great?

lol, Smelley is more than capable of being a backup this yr and he prob won't look bad vs. ULL but I would be very concerned if he were starting vs. UGA. Mitchell when given time can pick you apart, when not given time, he sucks.

I don't think there will be a QB controversy this yr, just this is a wakeup call to Mitchell. Hopefully it lights a fire under his ass for WK2

I am at work so I don't have much time but I don't know how productive I can be today, Mitchell ruined my lunch and my afternoon. Just very disappointed in this kid. I never liked him as a QB, I never wanted him to see the field when everyone else wanted Dontrell Pinkins pulled, I wanted Syvelle to stay at QB the last 2yrs and then this yr I embrace this LOSER, accept him as my QB, and he pulls some bullshit like always.

lol, Smelley is more than capable of being a backup this yr and he prob won't look bad vs. ULL but I would be very concerned if he were starting vs. UGA. Mitchell when given time can pick you apart, when not given time, he sucks.

I don't think there will be a QB controversy this yr, just this is a wakeup call to Mitchell. Hopefully it lights a fire under his ass for WK2

Agreed; but not looking bad and covering over 4 TD's are two entirely different things. What if they're up 27 in the 4th and they bring in the 3rd string QB...

the 2nd and 3rd string were neck and neck this yr in the summer. Smelley just won the 2nd string last night in the final scrimmage from Beecher, but Beecher is prob most improved QB

I have my concerns about SC in game 1 vs. a 28point spread. Is Davis going to be healthy. Is Jasper good to go. Smelley can't look like a deer in headlights. How bout the frosh WR's? I didn't have all of these concerns last week but now things have changed. Jasper has a boot on his ankle, Davis dinged up his shoulder, there is a new frosh WR everyday stepping up but they are lacking consistency, the OL might be alright finally.

Just my sorry ass 2 cents......but if public wants to panic and let this line drop substantially, then yours truly will bet heavy on USC and lay the points.$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Yep, Troy, but I don't think Vegas will panic that much and let the public tell them how much to adjust their line.

I believe line will stay close to where it opened.....wasn't it USC -30.5?

Where is it now?

Currently on 5 Dimes......USC -30 -110. Opened at USC -29.5 there.

Thank God football season is exactly one week away.......but I'm already dreading the off-season after 2007 is in the books. The last 2 off-seasons were awful, and the thought of going through another one is psychologically painful.

I think the line will dip to 27ish. I think people will be leary of laying 4 TD's without the starting QB.

I still think the 1st half will have value.

I don't think the line opened at -30.5, think it was more like 27-28.

Thanks green........I had 29 written down as the open, but didn't track it until after it had hit the board for a while.

If Vegas wants to dip to 27, I'd be leery of laying the points. 28 or 28.5, though, I'll lay 'em.

Makes no math sense, but Vegas sets that type of trap all over the place.

I think SC covers 27 or 28 anyway.

But this is funny:

<TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR bgColor=#eeeeee><TD class=main_body_blk noWrap>Sat 9/1</TD><TD class=main_body_blk noWrap>217</TD><TD class=main_body_blk noWrap>UL Lafayette</TD><TD class=main_body_blk noWrap> Offline </TD><TD class=main_body_blk noWrap> </TD><TD class=main_body_blk noWrap> <TD vAlign=center align=middle rowSpan=2></TD></TR><TR bgColor=#eeeeee><TD class=main_body_blk noWrap> 04:00 PM</TD><TD class=main_body_blk noWrap>218</TD><TD class=main_body_blk noWrap>South Carolina <TD class=main_body_blk noWrap> Offline </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I miss Pinnacle. We need to get that fucker opened back up to US customers. Or have them open up a sister site like CrisMaker.

Not so much Vegas dropping the line to 27, I think some of the people who had SC already to drive it up to 30 or whatever, will buy back on ULL like Alby thought about doing above. Bottom line is that most people will not want the same spread with a backup QB unless this was Temple's scout team.

If Brinkley and Davis sit out next week from practice, then I would consider getting off this play.

Sad, but Pinnacle has too much to lose by taking on US customers again. They get plenty of action from all over the rest of the world......where many countries aren't so hypocritical with their citizens.

Just thinking of the religious right sends me into a damn rage.

This doesn't bother me one iota. Now people will jump on the ULL bandwagon. Go for it. Put your money on a Shavebelt team against a guy who is gonna have his boys scoring all 4 qtrs.

SC 48-7

This doesn't bother me one iota. Now people will jump on the ULL bandwagon. Go for it. Put your money on a Shavebelt team against a guy who is gonna have his boys scoring all 4 qtrs.

SC 48-7

emotionally, I have calmed down. I was very mad before but I have since regrouped. Hopefully some people buy back on ULL and keep this 1st half line under 17.

i personally think you guys are nuts betting on a qb you have never seen play one snap before.

I already bet on them

This does bring up the bet to early question but I got MSU at 16.5, others will have them at 19-20. I got FSU at 1.5..most others will have to buy down to three at start of game week...

I bet SC other day, under two weeks before...shit happens...I wasn't a big mitchell fan anyway...I think he'll do good in the system as can a lot of QB's...Spurrier has gotten his guys in there and evolved their offense to where it should be like clockwork for next several years

Spurrier said after practice that Blake is appealing. This came out of no where today really, Blake didn't even know from what I gather. This is not Spurrier's decision, he broke the rules of the athletic department, it is the schools suspension and it is mandatory.

If Blake is out, Smelley and Beecher will likely both play. If Blake is in, all 3 will prob still play.

Stuff like this happens every year, so I don't even sweat it anymore. As far as this being a reason not to bet early lines, I disagree completely, because on the majority of my week 1 plays (at least 11 of 14), I will have lines between 1-8 points better than 95% of everyone else out there, and that to me spells solid value.

I will always trade that type of value with one of these screw job situations any day of the week because the value in all my other lines more than makes up for this one, especially since I still believe SC will rally and band together in this one to still destroy ULL at home in week 1.

SC's QB play has been shit across the board....they put a guy there last year for a stopgap that wasn't even a QB...

This team isn't going to win games this year outscoring opps...

4 TD's is plenty fellas.

sorry to hear this everything...at least it is only one game and hopefully he will get his head on his shoulders...good luck this season

Stuff like this happens every year, so I don't even sweat it anymore. As far as this being a reason not to bet early lines, I disagree completely, because on the majority of my week 1 plays (at least 11 of 14), I will have lines between 1-8 points better than 95% of everyone else out there, and that to me spells solid value.

I will always trade that type of value with one of these screw job situations any day of the week because the value in all my other lines more than makes up for this one, especially since I still believe SC will rally and band together in this one to still destroy ULL at home in week 1.

Maybe so, but one who doesn't play a lot of plays like myself it hurts, so that is why I don't recommend it..also if you don't flat bet and put a lot of money on one team over another and a key player is suspended or gets hurt your screwed. QB is a huge postion for me in the first few weeks. The QB play is everything in these huge spreads imo.

Hunt - Completely understand what you are saying. All of my plays are to win 1 unit (although I did play Texas at 37 twice in week 1) as that is just part of my money management plan, as I would be sick to my stomach if I went something like 9-5 but actually lost money because one of the 5 losses was a 5 unit special or something like that haha. Always appreciate good discussion as there is nothing wrong with healthy debate one way or the other. 6 days and counting till next Thursday's kickoffs...gotta love it!

CB...I understand where you are coming from too. Each to their own I guess. Can't wait bro....love debates too.

Here's the latest...

Mitchell waits to hear back on appeal

Spurrier defers to Hyman on a ruling after USC QB is suspended for opener

By JOSEPH PERSON - jperson@thestate.com

South Carolina starting quarterback Blake Mitchell attended the Gamecocks’ two-hour practice Friday, but was mainly a spectator while waiting to hear whether he will be eligible for the season opener next weekend against Louisiana-Lafayette.
Mitchell is appealing his one-game suspension for violating the athletic department’s class attendance policy. The fifth-year senior from LaGrange, Ga., accumulated too many absences in a three-hour English course he took during the second session of summer school.
USC athletics director Eric Hyman is reviewing Mitchell’s appeal and expects to make a decision “relatively soon.” Hyman has said repeatedly that he plans to adhere to the attendance policy, which athletic department officials enacted last year and revised in May.
“Everybody has the right to appeal or maybe question something. Through a process like that there may be additional information,” Hyman said. “But the policy is the policy, and we’re going to maintain the integrity of the policy.”
Mitchell is one of three players suspended for the Louisiana-Lafayette game for violating the attendance policy. Reserve cornerback Chris Hail and third-string tailback Bobby Wallace, who is out with a broken collarbone, are the others.
All three were among the players held out for the Gamecocks’ first two preseason practices for missing class.
Gamecocks coach Steve Spurrier said he would defer to Hyman and the school’s academic personnel on the matter.
“That’s out of my field. I told (Mitchell) whatever the AD and the academic director say is what I’ll go by,” Spurrier said. “Whether it’s a starter or Chris Hail. ... Bobby Wallace is out with a bad shoulder. I don’t know if he’ll have to serve his later or not. Probably will.”
Mitchell was suspended for the Wofford game last September for punching a bouncer at a Five Points bar, a charge that was later dropped. He remained on the bench for seven weeks while Spurrier stuck with the scrambling Syvelle Newton at quarterback.
If Mitchell’s suspension is upheld, redshirt freshman Chris Smelley will receive his first start, although redshirt sophomore Tommy Beecher also will play.
“Tommy Beecher’s going to play in the game. It’s not Chris Smelley’s total game. He’s just starting,” Spurrier said. “We’ll play both of them. And maybe the guy that’s playing the best will play the second half.”

45-20, 45-6, and 52-7 last three times Spurrier played the SBC (3-0 ats). All at home just like this one. Major difference is, this SC team is better than the SC teams of the last two seasons, and this ULL team isn't as good as either Troy or MTSU, and maybe not even FAU.

I am having a tough time seeing anything other than a total annihilation. Sticking with my 28 and feeling good about it.

Any questions about the availability of some Gamecock personnel is more than outweighed by the question of will ULL even score and if so, how?

Back