Bizarre format draft, join me

• Thread starter Thread starter tipyerbartender1
  • Start date Start date
T

tipyerbartender1

OK. This is actually my main league. Due to guys moving out of town, being grown up doctors and so on, we're down to 8 guys, so we switched up the format a few years ago, not many teams so we start a lot of players to keep things honest and interesting. We start 12 guys, four on the bench. We start 2QB/3RB/3WRTE/1TE/1FLEX and you CAN flex a QB. Also 1D/1K. QB-friendly scoring, 6 for passing touchdowns, and distance bonuses on scoring plays. If you draft a rookie you may keep him in the round you drafted him thru his third year. (One guy this year has Trent Richardson-2nd, Doug Martin-4th, and Al Morris-12th ... but this guy never wins. He went out of the box and took Kappy with the 2nd overall pick, bypassing Cal Johnson, A-Rod, Brees.)

Due to sloppy drunkenness, this draft is ongoing, so CTG can help me out. Here are my first eight picks, draft is halfway done, snake draft, I'm in the six-hole ... Flacco was pure panic, but we're running out of quarterbacks, especially with the keepers. For instance, even Weeden was kept (13th round).

J. Charles - RB
Spiller - RB
D. Wilson - RB
D. Thomas - WR
Larry Fitz - WR
V. Cruz - WR
Gronk - TE
Flacco - QB
9. ?

7 & 8 guys already have 3 quarterbacks. I went Josh Gordon in the 9th, first Brown on the squad.

OK, seven guy kept Blackmon in the 9th, guy at the the turn took Vern Davis and Decker, 7 guy took Schaub in the 10th, I went Josh Freeman. Two Joshes in a row.

You can NOT have a kicker or a defense on the bench in this league. Adds to the pot. We bid out-of-pocket real money on free agents.

I'd definitely get 4 QBs if u can, all with different bye weeks.

Sorry tip, just saw this thread. Been doing some hardcore prepping for my main draft in 3 hours.

Damn tip. I woulda went QB early. FWIW, I much prefer Palmer to Flacco. Is Bradford still available? I like him most of all them this year.

I believe Bradford is available, but drunken Bernie Kosar doesn't like those receivers. Carson's still on my radar.

I have a funny feeling Palmer gets hurt and retires off into the sunset. How much heart he got left? Just a gut feeling, but a strong one.

I'll be "scout guy". I don't think he's got much of an arm.

Million hour draft, we have until Thursday. Tribe's getting pounded, so I'm involved. No QB's worth a shit left, considering drafting assets. I'm a salesman.

This is actually where I might need your CTG rookies. Not the obvious guys, they're gone.

who's still available?

Josh Gordon? Still think you're making a huge mistake bypassing Bradford.

What round are you in now?

Do u still only have Flacco at QB?

What are the top 5 or 10 QBs still available?

Draft is ongoing, lurching along. I was mistaken, by the way, Bradford's gone. It also dawned on me that my first three receivers are on the same week 9 bye.

Since the initial post, I have drafted Josh Gordon, Josh Freeman, and DHB. I'm picking again in four picks, but that might take all day. Could use a QB, but they're all gone. Actually thinking Jordan Cameron (TE) and T. Pryor (QB) for the next two picks, having a tough time deciding which one to take first to prevent getting scooped.

I suspect Pryor will be there. We're digging deep here, Pryor, Gabbert, Sanchize, Ponder ...

Also just noticed Cameron shares a bye with Gronk, sort of takes the air out of that balloon, although Gronk may miss a month or so.

Took Pryor, the man who brought down Ohio State University and killed Al Davis.

So yes, my quarterbacks are Flacco, Freeman, and Pryor. Otherwise loaded.

Every couple hours, someone picks in this draft. I took Cameron, which I already regret. Sounds like Gronk's on the fast track, so Cameron will have to be pretty good for that pick to be worth my while in trade in an 8-team league. I think EJ Manuel is out there, should I grab him (keeper) in the 14th if he's there before my defense/kicker in the 15th/16th? What's CTG think of EJ Manuel?

Took Ike Redman. Here's how we look ...

J. Charles - RB
Spiller - RB
D. Wilson - RB
D. Thomas - WR
Larry Fitz - WR
V. Cruz - WR
Gronk - TE
Flacco - QB
J. Gordon - WR
J. Freeman - QB
DHB - WR
T. Pryor - QB
J. Cameron - TE
I. Redman - RB

Defense and kicker on deck.

You may be right. I usually wait too long on QB's in this league, with mixed results. It never feels comfortable. I did win it a couple years ago with the likes of Freeman, Tebow, Henne, Fitz, and Dalton down the stretch. I'll keep you posted.

You have to remind yourself in this scoring format that if you have Rodgers or Brees, they're going to score 30-40 on the good days. But just about any bag of bones that tosses a touchdown and throws for 200 yards is going to score 20. Can't find that replacement value at other positions. That's the thinking. But I've sort of pushed the envelope.

Finished off the squad with Bironas and the Browns. The guy returning T-Rich, Martin, and Morris in the 2nd/4th/12th has a hell of a head start, but he kind of reached all over the draft ... Kappy as the #1 QB, and like 4 more rookies in this class. Guy's obsessed with rookie keepers.

I think he just wants to skip an entire draft one of these years by retaining all keepers.

The rookie keepers can be fools gold. The hits are nice, but ... Lot of decent proven commodities are passed over each year for these rookie keepers in an 8-team league. Not necessarily by design going in, but I haven't drafted a keeper in this league in years. Plus, you don't keep 'em forever, three years. Works out well when you hit on a good back though.

You negative Nancies. My Flacco-Freeman-Pryor squad beat the Ryan-Stafford-Bradford squad going away. And I had to absorb the negative number from David Wilson. (That's a problem going forward.) The method to to the madness is 1-0.

Back