Birds talk Pats SB win

Joe Public

Gabibbo's Finest
I'd be lying if I said this game wasn't one of the first things that came to my mind.

Don't get me wrong, NE won the game, it is their ring.

That said, in the back of my mind when I heard about this story was, 'no, no, please don't have it involve this.'

AP Story

From Sheldon Brown:

Brown said he noticed a difference in New England's playcalling in the second quarter. After the Patriots gained only 45 yards in the first quarter, they had 286 over the next three.

Brady hit running back Corey Dillon and gained 29 total yards on a pair of screens to open New England's first full drive of the second quarter. They didn't score on that drive, but did on four of the next five drives.

The Patriots went to the screen pass again on the decisive drive early in the fourth quarter, this time with Brady connecting with Kevin Faulk on two passes for 27 yards.

"I was like, 'Man, I never saw that many screens," Brown said.

Brown wonders if it was normal playcalling from a team good enough to win three Super Bowls in four seasons, a Patriots team that used a strong scouting report to gain a fair edge, or was somebody picking up the Eagles defensive calls from a sideline camera that deprived them of a fair shot?

It sounds like it. An under "named" defense that always came up big no matter which personal they lost between seasons, or who was injured, which was always put down to Bill's genius.

Seems it was as much Bill's genius at cheating techniques as defensive creativity.

Here's the thing, though, it doesn't take away that hurt.

In some ways, it actually makes it worse.

I don't want to hear 'they cheated, that's the Birds lost.' Even if it's from the commissioner himself.

It doesn't do any good now.

I mean, punish them, absolutely, but that moment is gone and the idea that it was even in part stolen, even a little bit, just sort of makes me want to throw up.

not only were they cheating but their defensive mvp of the game was all HGHd up

fucking reprehensible

and no im not above claiming a forfeited super bowl title!!

hell we'll have the parade tomorrow...at this point ill take whatever i can get

NFL Penalty on NE Handed Down

Bill belechik fined 750k
NE fined 250k

NE docked a 1st Round draft pick if they make the playoffs in 2008.

We're kind of living in the golden age of Eagles' defensive players if you think about it.

You think about B-Dawk and everything he's contributed on the field and off. You think about Sheldon with perhaps the single best hit since Bednarik. You think about Lito's putting the nail in the coffin of the TO return to Philly game. There's Trotter, Hugh Douglass, Troy Vincent. Again, maybe not as great of a player as someone like Dawkins, but great for the team and the town.

Oh, and if the Pats don't make the playoffs they lose both their second and third round picks next year.

Good to see if the Browns are going to be sitting out the first round they'll have someone to talk to in the green room.

We're kind of living in the golden age of Eagles' defensive players if you think about it.

You think about B-Dawk and everything he's contributed on the field and off. You think about Sheldon with perhaps the single best hit since Bednarik. You think about Lito's putting the nail in the coffin of the TO return to Philly game. There's Trotter, Hugh Douglass, Troy Vincent. Again, maybe not as great of a player as someone like Dawkins, but great for the team and the town.

Thinking Spikes will be added to that list when all is said and done, especially if the Eagles can have success is the next few years he'll be here. He had a great 1st game, and might be the best player on that defense.

From Sheldon Brown:

Brown said he noticed a difference in New England's playcalling in the second quarter. After the Patriots gained only 45 yards in the first quarter, they had 286 over the next three.

Brady hit running back Corey Dillon and gained 29 total yards on a pair of screens to open New England's first full drive of the second quarter. They didn't score on that drive, but did on four of the next five drives.

The Patriots went to the screen pass again on the decisive drive early in the fourth quarter, this time with Brady connecting with Kevin Faulk on two passes for 27 yards.

"I was like, 'Man, I never saw that many screens," Brown said.

Brown wonders if it was normal playcalling from a team good enough to win three Super Bowls in four seasons, a Patriots team that used a strong scouting report to gain a fair edge, or was somebody picking up the Eagles defensive calls from a sideline camera that deprived them of a fair shot?
joe this taping would not effect the game during the first half let alone the 2H, it was for future games so the patriots playing executing there plays well in the 1H would not have anything to do with this situation and it has been said that it was for future games that they put in there archives, like they did it in preseason why would they care about the preseason game? it was for future referance and they did it against green bay as well an opponent they only play 1 time in X amount of years.:cheers:

I don't buy that, TM. If you can turn around pictures of series from the booth instantly, you can turn around tape at half--especially in a SB where the halftime is so long.

That said, spying didn't have Donovan under throw Westbrook at the goalline early in the game when the Eagles could have taken control of that contest, nor did it only leave the Birds with :30 from their own 18 or whatever it was to try to get the tying FG.

The Pats won. Whether they cheated to win is only part of it, to me, because at the end of it, cheating or not, the Eagles could have won that game, they just didn't.

Back