Billy King out as Sixers's GM

BILLY KING is out. Ed Stefanski is in.

A source in North Jersey confirmed last night that Stefanski, the general manager of the New Jersey Nets since the summer of 2004, will officially be named to a similar position today with the 76ers.

Stefanski, who will be introduced at a news conference, replaces Billy King, who has been with the franchise since June 2, 1997, and has been serving in the dual roles of president and general manager since May 26, 2003.

Stefanski, who played basketball at Monsignor Bonner High and Penn and later coached at Bonner, had been in his ninth season working for the Nets.

The source said that the Sixers contacted the Nets about a week ago, securing permission to speak with Stefanski. The source also said that the opportunity caught Stefanski by surprise, and that he had not been politicking for a job with his hometown team.

Neither King, Stefanski, chairman Ed Snider nor Peter Luukko, the president and chief operating officer of Comcast-Spectacor and chairman of Global Spectrum, responded to messages left by the Daily News late last night. Stefanski is expected to sign a multiyear contract and will report directly to Luukko.

It is believed that no decision has been made on the future of head coach Maurice Cheeks.

Both King and Cheeks are in the final season of their respective contracts.
The move comes as somewhat of a surprise, because Snider had signed off on King's three-stage plan to rebuild the team. That began with the trading of Allen Iverson to Denver last December and the subsequent buyout of the balance of Chris Webber's contract.

The second stage included the acquisition of Thaddeus Young, Jason Smith, Herbert Hill and the since-waived Derrick Byars in the NBA's June draft.

The third step was to come in the summer, when the Sixers are expected to have major salary- cap space and become a player in free agency and the trade market.

The Sixers, though, are 5-12 after last night's 88-79 loss to the Atlanta Hawks, leaving them with their 10th loss in 13 games and a 3-6 record in the lifeless Wachovia Center.

Stefanski came to the Nets after a successful careeer as president of Preferred Mortgages Corp. and spent 20 years as a respected TV basketball analyst. *

andre miller for kirk and a pick?
I think Andre will be gone before the deadline...Im sure there will be several teams looking for a vet PG for the stretch run...I think the Sixers want Lou Williams to take over the point so I dont think they would want Kirk...I dont know what happened to your Bulls man I thought they where potential Eastern Conference Champs at the begging of the year...What I watched tonight was just gross:whip:

I think Andre will be gone before the deadline...Im sure there will be several teams looking for a vet PG for the stretch run...I think the Sixers want Lou Williams to take over the point so I dont think they would want Kirk...I dont know what happened to your Bulls man I thought they where potential Eastern Conference Champs at the begging of the year...What I watched tonight was just gross:whip:

i wish jay williams would have never got on that bike

at least the sixers aren't one of the 5 worst teams in the nba and have a legitimate superstar in AI2
True...I just wish he could shoot...Every once in a while Iggy will get hot and have a great shooting game but most of the time Im cringing everytime he shoots a jumper...He is very exciting on the fastbreak though

kobe to phila is the best fit. no idea why he doesnt want to go home? sucks. so perfect imo.

kobe to phila is the best fit. no idea why he doesnt want to go home? sucks. so perfect imo.
They hate him. They booed him religiously at the ASG a few years ago.

Well, they would boo the pope...so maybe i'm wrong.

Santa Claus received the "treatment" there

they say feeley is their savior and then he completes three to tapoppo (sp?) and they call for his head next game. lol.

Yeah he did get booed at the ASG in Philly but the year before Kobe's Lakers squad beat the Sixers in the NBA Finals so I know we werent happy about that...I am kind of surprised that Kobe has never expressed any desire to play in Philly because alot of athletes like playing in their hometowns but I guess Kobe just likes being in the limelight in LA

:23_11_59:

what phenomenal news to wake up to!

Now maybe they can trade Miller and not fuck up being the only team with cap room next year

im shocked - i really didnt think ed snider gave half a shit about the sixers

Iggy would be so sexy in GSW or Phx

whats funny is phoenix really wanted him but were convinced he wouldnt be around when they picked 7th so they traded the pick to chicago who took Deng...

of course thats not as funny as the raptors taking arujio with the next pick, but i digress....

If I remember correctly, Kobe said some shit he shouldnt have said about not being a Philly guy or something

And im sure if we booed the pope it would be because he deserved it!

i was just going to reply, but your reply spelled it out perfectly

they hate kobe in philly

Back