Big XII Expansion

twinkie13

In transit, arriving late.
It is coming. Such a strange predicament. I believe in the beginning, the thought was(Texas thought, because, well, they ARE the conference) that okay....hmmmmm...we won't play a championship game, win the conference every other year, and be in the show.

The committee seems to punish the conference for NOT having that game now( a 'Ship game) as the B10 and others have caught up to the idea.....So there are many factors....I know they say having only 10 teams essentially forbade that game....but here we are, either way. This is happening.

Houston will obviously be the 1st choice.....and holy SHIT when that happens. It will hurt LSU recruiting tremendously as well as other schools that pluck from the area.....and UH will be on the RISE.

The question is who will the OTHER school be, as they need another. Do they go to FLA? UCF?

What happens then to OK and Okie lite?

So many things in the air as we move more and more to just mega conferences........

The first year of the championship game, the favorite will lose and get knocked out of the playoffs. I am 99% certain of that

Houston could very well be left out bc of recruiting purposes. They're easy to recruit against now, but not if they're in a P5.

All things being equal the committee will taken a Championship winner over a conference with no championship game. However, a championship game means they have one more game they have to win. So it's no use having a championship game if your teams loses and a team with no championship leapfrogs you

for the different scenarios and the best ideas have a listen to Podcast Aint Played Nobody. Cinci is first choice. I don't mind their idea of Houston to the Pac12

BYU is not just the obvious choice -- it's also pretty clear now that it's gonna happen. I'd give it a 90-95% chance.

If BYU comes in as football only does that give the networks an out to renegotiate the TV contracts?

The biggest hangup on BYU is that they won't play sports on Sunday, right? No big deal for football, but fairly big inconvenience for all the other sports. Are they gonna be a full member or just football? Aren't they Mountain West in all other sports? I think Cincinnati seems likely, and Big 12 probably kicking themselves for not taking Louisville when they had the chance. Worked out for L'ville in the end. If they expand by 4, have to think a Florida school makes it in. UConn, Memphis, don't move the needle much, but I guess I can understand why. Houston makes a lot of sense other than it will provide much more competition for players for the other schools that already recruit the area well. But maybe they know something and that's why Herman stayed put?

Houston and Cinci seem to be the ones....Houston becomes real scary if they become P5

And yea....Hermam must see something coming

Cinci seems odd but all the people in the know say it will be them......

Absolutely boggles the mind you hear all these other shit schools, where NOBODY in their cities watch them on tv bc they root for bigger schools and watch them on tv, but you don't hear East Carolina at all. But, but, but ...

i don't really see why it would be that hard to schedule around the byu sunday thing. even the conf bball tourney now ends on saturday.

Baseball and other sports most likely. CBB and CFB shouldn't be affected at all

baseball/softball is the only one i think you can make an argument for, but they can easily just make series thur-sat or play doubleheaders on sat, which isn't that out of the norm for college baseball. other sports don't play more than once on a weekend, do they?

cub will tell you it was about education and being part of the holy American college accs etc and education and all

if you guys haven't noticed, the big 12 is a total shitshow that is basically one phone call away from disbanding at any minute.

Big Tv markets don't equate to people watching specific football teams play football.

For example:

Houston
Memphis
Natti
Central Florida
South Florida

Could go on.

All TV's in Utah and NC do watch BYU and ECU. If it's truly about TV money then these two schools are the first in.

I didn't realize that everyone in NC was an ECU fan but Houston makes a ton of sense for obvious reasons, you only need a region in Texas, not the state. Cinci, meh..we all know they're tOSU fans there of course

if you guys haven't noticed, the big 12 is a total shitshow that is basically one phone call away from disbanding at any minute.
Split up all the Confrences and realign all the Top 5 Confrences.
How could we do it and make it work?

Big Tv markets don't equate to people watching specific football teams play football.

For example:

Houston
Memphis
Natti
Central Florida
South Florida

Could go on.

All TV's in Utah and NC do watch BYU and ECU. If it's truly about TV money then these two schools are the first in.

I imagine BYU gets more than just Utah. Kind of like Notre Dame gets most of the Catholics, BYU surely can count on Mormons everywhere to tune in. No idea how many there are though. Think they may have a limited amount actually

Also heard it mentioned on the radio by someone that you could count on more people from the region tuning in or going, if they were playing Texas, OU, etc rather than SMU, Temple, etc. Probably some truth to that

Mesa has over 700,000 population in this area and many, many Mormons. BYU tv is on regular cable.

Look, I'd rather play isu and k st instead of Minnesota and fucking purdue, but that's just not the way it is. If the b12 disbanded, where would isu and kst be? Praying for the mwc? The mac?

I imagine BYU gets more than just Utah. Kind of like Notre Dame gets most of the Catholics, BYU surely can count on Mormons everywhere to tune in. No idea how many there are though. Think they may have a limited amount actually

Your POV is certainly one you'd hear on ur sports radio show local or national, but it's largely wrong. By and large Mormons don't give two shits about football. They care about God. Only the ones who went to BYU really care about their football and that certainly doesn't mean all of them, but they, like ECU, fill their stadiums every Saturday at home. And that equates to tv viewers as well. They go hand and hand, no?

No other shit school does that. CFU is a dump in MCO. Nobody cares about them no matter how big their enrollment is. SFla is the same way except their stadium is obv nicer. Memphis? Nobody cares. Natti and grand ol Nippert Stadium? Nope. .UCant? Nope. Temple? Nope.

Also heard it mentioned on the radio by someone that you could count on more people from the region tuning in or going, if they were playing Texas, OU, etc rather than SMU, Temple, etc. Probably some truth to that

Can't dispute that, but that bump is relative to everyone else. 500 people watch Natti play every Saturday in Ohio? Well, that prolly means 500 more will watch now. .

If you want those tv advertising dollars to truly mean something, the BXII will add ECU and BYU first. If they want fake numbers, they'll add a bigger market school. I imagine that's what's they'll do if I had to wager my bottom dollar. But either way BYU is added. Nationally, thats an easy decision no matter if I think Mormons care about football or not outside the zealots.

Your POV is certainly one you'd hear on ur sports radio show local or national, but it's largely wrong. By and large Mormons don't give two shits about football. They care about God. Only the ones who went to BYU really care about their football and that certainly doesn't mean all of them, but they, like ECU, fill their stadiums every Saturday at home. And that equates to tv viewers as well. They go hand and hand, no?

No other shit school does that. CFU is a dump in MCO. Nobody cares about them no matter how big their enrollment is. SFla is the same way except their stadium is obv nicer. Memphis? Nobody cares. Natti and grand ol Nippert Stadium? Nope. .UCant? Nope. Temple? Nope.

Mormons love their BYU football. You may not see it where you are, but it's a pretty big deal out here and in Cali/Nevada/Utah...they are a pretty big deal. Just not really profitable for a bar owner.

Well, I certainly cannot speak for the west coast, but I'll certainly concede BYU will be #1 in if and when this happens.

Mormons love their BYU football. You may not see it where you are, but it's a pretty big deal out here and in Cali/Nevada/Utah...they are a pretty big deal. Just not really profitable for a bar owner.

i always wonder about that when byu goes to a bowl game. does the city just hate it or are they heathens like everyone else in vegas?

I went to an Iowa/BYU game in the Detmer era in San Diego (Holiday Bowl), was bizarre. Was young but half the stadium had no alcohol service in half the place. Just a weird deal.

Larry the Cable Guy is pushing for Memphis to the Big 12. A ringing endorsement like that should assure them a spot

I went to an Iowa/BYU game in the Detmer era in San Diego (Holiday Bowl), was bizarre. Was young but half the stadium had no alcohol service in half the place. Just a weird deal.

I am one of 200,000 El Paso residents who was at the Sun Bowl in 1985 on the night the miners would defeat top ten ranked BYU for their only win of the season as a 5 td underdog. Robbie Bosco kept finding open miner defenders.

You mean in retrospect it was a weird deal. You didn't have the capacity to realize that when you were 14/15/16 years old.

I'm no fan of the big 12 in general even though my squad are part of it, but I don't understand Texas wanting Houston in there, just doesn't add up and we all know UT runs the show here

I'm no fan of the big 12 in general even though my squad are part of it, but I don't understand Texas wanting Houston in there, just doesn't add up and we all know UT runs the show here

they don't, but the president is lobbying for it because of the proposed expansion of the ut system in houston.

houston BMD are pissed about it, and to calm them down fenves has lobbied for the big12 to take h town.

and no, it makes zero sense from an athletic dept point of view, or a revenue point of view, or more tvs point of view.

but it is politics nonetheless.

Everywhere these schools try to turn, someone is there to tell them it's a bad idea and why. The Schools have had enough of it. Now, where do these b12 schools land?

Back