big week 6

Ash coaching for his job at home vs. Illinois IMO.

Don't know if Rutgers is willing to buy him out. That's a lot of dough for a program that won't be any better with whatever new coach they bring in there.

Last edited:
Michigan -17

Michigan State -8.5

Ohio State -27

Iowa -3

Wisconsin -22.5

Early lines that are out.

I'll post some sorta garbage tomorrow.

Nebraska and Purdue were in a shootout.

After an early Nebraska TD the Boilers controlled the scoreboard. Neither defense was good.

Purdue had the ball in RZ 6 times and scored a TD each time.

Nebraska had their most yards since 2007 but had 11 penalties which included 5 personal fouls.

-------------------------------------------------------

Central Michigan reached the 20 point mark in East Lansing and covered easily.

The Spartans seemed to be going through the motions.

Cody White broke his hand.

MSU O-line continues to struggle.

The running game for Sparty averaged under 4 ypc on 47 carries.

----------------------------------------------------------

It looks like Indiana coasted in the 2nd half against Rutgers.

There isn't much else to say here.

I feel bad for Sitkowski -- he has been the sacrificial lamb of sorts.

------------------------------------------------------------

We have discussed the PSU-OSU game to death so far. Here are some quick things...

How did OSU have such trouble running the ball? We just saw Illinois toy with the PSU defense.

Did C.U.M. abandon the run somewhat? I believe so. But, he does that a lot when they get down in games.

This was a definite growing game for Haskins. He will be able to face any environment now and next year before he goes to the NFL.

Of all the James Franklin decisions that backfired... and there were many... why did he not kick a FG down 14-13 late in the 3rd?

This is the same guy who two years ago kicked a FG down 28-0 in the 2nd half to make sure he didn't get shut out.

We move on now, and Penn State has Michigan State coming in on the 13th. Will they be hungover again like last year?

I'll do a different post for Michigan and Northwestern.

The Cats came off a bye week very hungry and it showed early. When an animal is wounded, they are their most dangerous.

What I want to point out about that 17-0 lead that they took early on is that it was all playing 'downhill' so-to-speak. The drives went 56 yards, 37 yards and 52 yards. It is much easier to be an underdog that is trying to get an early lead when you are basically playing on one half of the field. As I watched from afar, all I was asking for was a flip in field position so the game could settle down and see what happens.

Well, it did.

Northwestern had 8 more drives (9 if you count one play before halftime)...

Starting position:

Own 25
Own 5
Own 25
Own 25
Own 25
Own 28
Own 25
Own 15

The result of those 9 drives was 57 yards.... TOTAL offense.

They couldn't run and that left Thorson on an island basically.

On the other side, NW played very solid defense and Michigan had the usual gazzilion penalties including the phantom hold that negated a huge run.

Positives for Michigan

-Josh Uche
-Kwity Paye
-Shea running the ball more
-Coming back from 17 down

Negatives for Michigan

-Bland 1st down offense
-Not ready to counter NW enthusiasm early

That is about it for the game. I need to actually watch it in full again since I saw maybe 60% of it in full with the rest being choppy.

This week in conference....

Maryland at Michigan:

Michigan needs to get some more continuity on offense and get out healthy before the defining stretch of their season
Maryland could use a big win on the road in division

Northwestern at Michigan State:

Michigan State look ahead to Happy Valley
Northwestern might be out of steam after last weeks valiant effort

Iowa at Minnesota:

They play for some like bronze pig or spitoon, right? edit Floyd of something?
This should be a battle of the uglies. You couldn't pay me to watch this game

Illinois at Rutgers:

This is as good as it gets for big-time college football
Okay, I'd rather watch Iowa and Minnesota

Indiana at Ohio State:

The obvious question is will the Bucks be flat?
Indiana is always pesky

Nebraska at Wisconsin:

I'm almost willing to give out my blessing on a Wisconsin over but lets not get ahead of ourselves
NU needs a win bad, but it may have to wait for that make-up/added game

Nebraska and Purdue were in a shootout.

After an early Nebraska TD the Boilers controlled the scoreboard. Neither defense was good.

Purdue had the ball in RZ 6 times and scored a TD each time.

Nebraska had their most yards since 2007 but had 11 penalties which included 5 personal fouls.

-------------------------------------------------------

Central Michigan reached the 20 point mark in East Lansing and covered easily.

The Spartans seemed to be going through the motions.

Cody White broke his hand.

MSU O-line continues to struggle.

The running game for Sparty averaged under 4 ypc on 47 carries.

----------------------------------------------------------

It looks like Indiana coasted in the 2nd half against Rutgers.

There isn't much else to say here.

I feel bad for Sitkowski -- he has been the sacrificial lamb of sorts.

------------------------------------------------------------

We have discussed the PSU-OSU game to death so far. Here are some quick things...

How did OSU have such trouble running the ball? We just saw Illinois toy with the PSU defense.

Did C.U.M. abandon the run somewhat? I believe so. But, he does that a lot when they get down in games.

This was a definite growing game for Haskins. He will be able to face any environment now and next year before he goes to the NFL.

Of all the James Franklin decisions that backfired... and there were many... why did he not kick a FG down 14-13 late in the 3rd?

This is the same guy who two years ago kicked a FG down 28-0 in the 2nd half to make sure he didn't get shut out.

We move on now, and Penn State has Michigan State coming in on the 13th. Will they be hungover again like last year?

I was very impressed with Purdue's QB, he throws a nice ball and was very tough on timing routes on the sideline. That little No. 4 is a ballplayer too, best freshman in the Big Ten that I have seen. Nebraska totally undisciplined, bunch of penalties that killed them. Just don't have the talent and a freshman QB out there trying to do it all himself. Not sure I want to lay 21 with Wisconsin but wouldn't touch Huskers with a ten foot pole...

Last edited:
I had not realized that, thanks for posting. I know Clemson has a similar problem with their DL, nobody holds against them either.
Two of the better dlines of the past several years too. Interesting about Clemson. I'll research that. I know in the instance of Michigan there is literally video proof every single week. It's gotta beyond hilarious.

Be interesting if he could do that for other conferences and see if there are outliers such as...

Tomorrow let's talk more about MSU-NW... So many factors here and I've seen a lot of good points both ways. With the line opening 7.5 at BOL this number now would be ridiculous to bet the favorite I would think. Anyways, I have a few more thoughts there as the day goes tomorrow. Nap time.

Sparty favored heavily vs Nw but how will they score? WR crew depleted by injury (Cody White went down last game on freakish fall) and rush attack been anemic. NW missing Larkin but whatever Sparty run D been solid. Thorson passed on Sparty at will last year and this secondary is missing Scott linebackers are poor in pass coverage pass D ranked outside top 100

Those dominant D lines just know how to avoid holding ....

While I agree Michigan appears to get the short end of the stick on holding calls (and other calls), some of the raw stats need to take into account the number of plays defended. Michigan tends to consistently be one of the teams with fewer plays defended over the years.

Tomorrow let's talk more about MSU-NW... So many factors here and I've seen a lot of good points both ways. With the line opening 7.5 at BOL this number now would be ridiculous to bet the favorite I would think. Anyways, I have a few more thoughts there as the day goes tomorrow. Nap time.

This is still a very tough game to bet in my opinion.

Here is what we know will happen.

Northwestern will NOT be able to run the ball at all.

Michigan St will most likely struggle to run the ball.

Both QB's will have to make plays. Both are obviously capable but I personally trust the MSU receivers etc more.

Michigan St has @PSU/vsUM on deck.

Northwestern played their hearts out last week but eventually the game evened out. They put a lot into that game, no doubt.

Northwestern is still 1-1 in conference, but at 1-3 overall is going to need to pick up some road wins to get back in the bowl picture.

Obviously we have a very low total here at 43.5 currently with a DD spread (10). It feels like a dog play but at the same point, who knows? Sparty looked like garbage last week and could still this week then pull out their 'magic' the next two weeks. That is just how the roll.

I think this is a very tough game to bet. I honestly leaned to the favorite at the very early opener. No Bets for me...

This is still a very tough game to bet in my opinion.

Here is what we know will happen.

Northwestern will NOT be able to run the ball at all.

Michigan St will most likely struggle to run the ball.

Both QB's will have to make plays. Both are obviously capable but I personally trust the MSU receivers etc more.

Michigan St has @PSU/vsUM on deck.

Northwestern played their hearts out last week but eventually the game evened out. They put a lot into that game, no doubt.

Northwestern is still 1-1 in conference, but at 1-3 overall is going to need to pick up some road wins to get back in the bowl picture.

Obviously we have a very low total here at 43.5 currently with a DD spread (10). It feels like a dog play but at the same point, who knows? Sparty looked like garbage last week and could still this week then pull out their 'magic' the next two weeks. That is just how the roll.

I think this is a very tough game to bet. I honestly leaned to the favorite at the very early opener. No Bets for me...

One complaint is the receivers bit. Very banged up. White is out, seems like Stewart may not play as well. four of top six receivers banged up and listed as questionable except White. Gotta think defense will cue in on Davis especially in red zone. On defense Scott‘s absence still a sore spot. LJ Scott questionable as well

Pretty deep at WR but yeah. And LJ is like an Izzo point guard... Regresses each year.

There is your weather for the local games.

Could be a delay at AA as I know lightning was striking just a few minutes ago by the stadium.

EL looks like it will move out faster.

I really do not have much to say about potential plays this week...I'll give some real quick final score thoughts though...

Michigan 33-16

Michigan State 24-10

Ohio State 47-21

Wisconsin 38-19

Illinois 0-0

jk..... Rutgers with the upset 24-23

Iowa 20-16

My Plays Northwestern; and Illinois & Michigan in a ML parlay with Cuse, NC State, and OU

Please NO "Rutgers with the upset"

I'd advise taking Mary now...and maybe toy with it live or at halftime.

I'd expect that clock to tick, tick, tick, tock....

I'd advise taking Mary now...and maybe toy with it live or at halftime.

I'd expect that clock to tick, tick, tick, tock....
Weather gonna stay clear a bit longer...

Defense dominating.

hedged at half...lands on 17 I'll be very happy

So you no longer like Michigan -17?
I played Maryland at 17.5 kinda watching the weather and the rumor of a 'quickened' game.

Weather gonna hold off, so it is a normal commercial full game and they are destroying Maryland to be honest so I took Mich 2h to hedge off my game bet.

If it lands on 17, I'll be very happy.

Back