Big Injury in the NCST Game

E.T.G.

One of trus baby mommas
August 26, 2008

<SCRIPT language=Javascript src="http://vmedia.rivals.com/js/swf.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=VBScript> on error resume next For vCount = 2 to 6 If Not(IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash." & vCount))) Then Else bFlash = true flashVersion = vCount End IfNext </SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=Javascript><!--bMacComputer = (navigator.appVersion.indexOf("Mac") != -1);if (bMacComputer == true) { document.write("[FONT=Franklin Gothic Heavy, Impact, Arial Black, Arial]Walker out for year; Eugene for season opener[/FONT]
");}else{ var swf= new objSWF(); swf.fullpath = "http://vmedia.rivals.com/flash/contentheadlines.swf" swf.bgcolor = "#FFFFFF"; swf.salign = "lt"; swf.scale="noborder"; swf.width = "620"; swf.height = "60"; swf.fontcolor = "000000"; swf.h1 = "Walker out for year; Eugene for season opener "; swf.h2 = ""; swf.shadow = 1; swf.url=""; swf.version = 6; swf.cab = "6,0,0,0"; swf.alt = "Walker out for year; Eugene for season opener"; RunGenObj(swf.drawflash())}//--></SCRIPT><OBJECT id=rvflash codeBase=http://active.macromedia.com/flash2/cabs/swflash.cab#version=6,0,0,0 height=60 width=620 classid=clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000>

<EMBED SRC=http://vmedia.rivals.com/flash/contentheadlines.swf?h1=Walker+out+for+year%3B+Eugene+for+season+opener+&h2=&lwidth=620&lheight=60&lshadow=1&sFontColor=000000&sLink= WIDTH=620 HEIGHT=60 SALIGN=lt QUALITY=best SCALE=noborder wmode=transparent ID=rvflash NAME=rvflash BGCOLOR=#FFFFFF TYPE=application/x-shockwave-flash PLUGINSPAGE=http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash></EMBED></OBJECT><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT></P>Jacey Zembal
TheWolfpacker.com Editor
<SCRIPT language=javascript>document.write("<div id=contentcontainer style='font-size: " + currentsize + "pt;'>");</SCRIPT>Talk about it in The Wolves' Den

NC State's bad luck with injuries continued Tuesday when coach Tom O'Brien gave out the injury report after practice.

Star running back Jamelle Eugene has been ruled out for Thursday's season opener at South Carolina with an ankle injury. O'Brien had hoped Eugene would be ready to go, but instead senior Andre Brown and sophomore Curtis Underwood will be the new 1-2 punch in the backfield.

Eugene also handled kick and punt returns for the Wolfpack. Freshman T.J. Graham, redshirt junior Geron James and even redshirt freshman starting quarterback Russell Wilson, are some of the candidates to handle the punt return duties O'Brien said.

O'Brien said redshirt sophomore strong safetyJavon Walker will be out for the season after suffering complications from his season-ending knee injury that he suffered against Miami last November.

Senior right guard Curtis Crouch, a backup behind Meares Green, will not be traveling to Columbia at O'Brien's request. Redshirt freshman Henry Lawson will move into Crouch's backup role.

Sophomore outside linebacker Thomas Barnes and freshman defensive tackle Kyle Linney have left the team and will be looking to transfer to a new college. Neither player were on the two-deep depth chart.

Also, freshman offensive lineman Sam Jones failed to qualify academically, but hopes to get what he needs to get done and enroll next January O'Brien said.

O'Brien also said redshirt senior punter Bradley Pierson won the kickoff job. He also expects five true freshman to play Thursday — Graham, linebackers Sterling Lucas and Dwayne Maddox, cornerback Dominique Ellis and fullback Taylor Gentry.

ETG, win or lose, the info that you have provided leading up to this game has been absolutely stellar. I really need to do something similar for Aztec games to help give back to this forum.

Is Eugene really the star RB? Aren't Brown and Underwood just as good?

About Eugene:

He was their #1 RB going into this year. Andrea Brown is coming off injury as is Toney Baker.

Toney Baker is already out in this game.

Curtis Underwood has gone from 4th on the depth chart to #2

Toney Baker is now #1 and he is still not healthy enough for a full game worth of carries

Eugene took over in 2007 when both went down. His stats:

172-723yds-5td

43receptions-263yds-1td

ETG, win or lose, the info that you have provided leading up to this game has been absolutely stellar. I really need to do something similar for Aztec games to help give back to this forum.

Is Eugene really the star RB? Aren't Brown and Underwood just as good?

Underwood has 19 carries in his career

Brown is coming off a a broken foot and he's had problems with it this summer.

Give me a few minutes guys and I will see what I can dig up on Andre Brown's health.

Eugene was flat out their #1 going into the season

Random comments

Also, running backs Andre Brown and Toney Baker missed their second straight scrimmage, with the latter ruled out of action indefinitely after undergoing minor knee surgery.

Were you pleased with Andre Brown's performance?

"Yeah, I think that he came back, he ran hard. He ran with pretty good vision. His conditioning needs to improve, but that's why we tried to get him as much work as we could last night."

Do you want to have multiple guys carrying the ball or one guy carrying the load?

"I think that'll play itself out how we rotate the backs in and out. Jamelle has proven that he can carry the load and play a lot. Andre's a pretty good back, too. If it's 2-to-1 or 2-to-2 or however we rotate, those things are things that we are going to have to decide on."

Jamelle Eugene seems to be their top guy right now," Spurrier said. "It seems like Eugene is a player that can go the distance. He's going to get the ball a bunch, there's no question. Every team that plays us is going to feature the run first until we prove we can stop the run. It's pretty simple. Hopefully our guys are ready to be strong up front and tackle well and so forth."

"We have to run the ball better," O'Brien said. "We can't be second-to-last in the conference in rushing offense. Jamelle Eugene did a tremendous job in the last six games and a tremendous job in spring practice. He has proven he can be the ball carrier. He is going to have to come out of the game and he is going to have to rest and other people are going to have to come into the game so we will have a rotation."

Redshirt junior Toney Baker would have given the Wolfpack a formidable backfield trio, but he underwent surgery recently to clean out some residue in his knee and should be sidelined for several weeks.

Eugene started the 2007 season third on the depth chart at running back before rising to No. 1 by the halfway point when Baker suffered a season-ending injury in the season opener and Brown (447 rushing yards in 2007) broke his foot in the sixth game of the season. Eugene played 445 snaps in the final seven games, an average of 63.5 plays per game.

He posted three games with 100 yards or more rushing, averaging 83.7 yards per game. He was on the field for 76 snaps against Virginia on Oct. 27. Two weeks later, he had 159 rushing yards on 32 carries in the victory over arch-rival North Carolina.

After that latter performance, it's no wonder O'Brien started calling Eugene the "Energizer Bunny" because, he said, Eugene "just kept going and going." The nickname stuck through the spring when Eugene carried most of the load at running back while his comrades recuperated from their injuries.

N.C. State's failure to make a bowl games, though, left Eugene with an empty feeling. The Wolfpack won four straight games to reach the .500 mark before lopsided losses to Wake Forest and Maryland ended O'Brien's first season in Raleigh on a disappointing note with a final mark of 5-7.

"I feel like last year was C-plus for me," Eugene said. "My team didn't win. To be successful as a running back, your team has to win. We won a few games then we fell off at the end. On the whole, we didn't have a great season. I can't separate my individual success from the team if we are not winning."

Baker's absence, together with the loss of Donald Bowens, the team's top returning receiver, for the entire season with stress fractures in his back, has limited O'Brien's options offensively.

I think so, I wasn't going to go 3 units but I am having a hard time trying to figure out how NCST reaches the endzone. SC is prepared to stop the run and their job got easier with Eugene going down.

NCST is going w/ a RS-Frosh in Williams Brice on a Thursday night. Think back to the UK-SC game last year and how that went for Woodson.

To be honest, I was probably going to pass as the line had risen much too high for what I was interested in, but after seeing all this attrition and uncertainty I think I'm gonna go ahead and join the group. Just not sure how NCSU will score...Eugene was their second leading returning receiver - after Bowens. Is it still 13.5 at bookmaker? If it is when I get there I'm gonna take some.

I went normal (bought it to 13). Don't really do big vs. normal, I'm a flat bettor for the most part. I might adjust the size of units over the course of the season, but within a given week I am a believer that they should all be the same size.

Jesus Christ, I just moved it. Would have never believed that was possible. 3 weeks ago? Sure. Week of the game for a nationally televised game in primetime? Strange. That tells me that not as many folks still bet sports online. The overall handle must be really small still.

Thoughts on the total in this game? Im showing a open at 48.5 and down to 45-45'

Alot of questions marks on the offensive end for NCST.

Thoughts on the total in this game? Im showing a open at 48.5 and down to 45-45'

Alot of questions marks on the offensive end for NCST.

Marlo, I believe it opened at 50.5, not sure but I know that number was available at BM.

I believe the only worry people have with the under is if NCST turns the ball over in their own territory, which is possible with a RS-Frosh QB making his first start BUT, if this isn't a turnover fest, I think the under should hit here.

I really have a hard time figuring out how NCST hits more than 10 points without SC giftwrapping them something

Still 13s and 13.5s available. I would expect the line to close at 13.5 or 13 rather than sticking at 14, but that's just a gut feeling.

Greek has been @ 14 since I've gotten home from work, wierd, they are not usually one of the higher lines

I can not confirm this and I find it hard to believe but Eugene returned Punts for them and I am reading that they may try QB Wilson back there to return, I am not so sure I can find that reasonable though

N.C. State starting RB out vs. Gamecocks

Written by Ken Tysiac

McClatchy Newspapers

Posted on 08.26.08

email print reprint or license <!-- AddThis Bookmark Button BEGIN --><SCRIPT type=text/javascript> addthis_url = location.href; addthis_title = document.title; addthis_pub = 'thestate'; </SCRIPT><SCRIPT src="http://s7.addthis.com/js/addthis_widget.php?v=12" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT>
button1-bm.gif
<!-- AddThis Bookmark Button END -->

<!-- END RELATED CONTENT -->N.C. State starting tailback Jamelle Eugene will miss Thursday's season-opener at South Carolina with an ankle injury, coach Tom O'Brien said Tuesday evening.
Eugene led N.C. State with 667 rushing yards last season and ranked second on the team with 42 receptions. He also was scheduled to handle punt returns.
O'Brien said he doesn't have a timetable for Eugene's return.
"I thought he'd be [ready] this week," O'Brien said after giving a personnel update following the final practice before the opener.
Andre Brown, who has 1,772 career rushing yards, will take Eugene's place with sophomore Curtis Underwood as a backup. Eugene also had been listed as the starting punt returner.
Freshman T.J. Graham and Geron James are the most likely candidates to return punts, and there's a chance starting quarterback Russell Wilson will serve as a punt returner as well.
Backup offensive guard Curtis Crouch will not travel with the team by coach's decision. Safety Javon Walker, who has missed the entire preseason with a knee injury, is out for the season.
He tore a knee ligament against Miami last season and has had additional surgery.
O'Brien also revealed that freshman defensive tackle Kyle Linney and sophomore linebacker Thomas Barnes are not in school and are transferring.
Another freshman, offensive lineman Sam Jones, didn't complete the requirements for enrollment and plans to enroll in January, O'Brien said.
In addition to Graham, O'Brien plans to play four first-year freshmen. The others are linebackers Dwayne Maddox and Sterling Lucas, cornerback Dominique Ellis and fullback Taylor Gentry.

First post on here...been reading for years but had to jump in and say something about the wolfpack. This team won't even be competitive on Thurs. night. I'm a State grad and live here in Raleigh...needless to say we've lost all momentum that the Philip Rivers years brought us. with the recent rash of injuries we have no ground game, we have no secondary, we have no receivers. What we do have is a kid making his first start at QB with top-tier TE Anthony Hill to catch the ball and a bad-ass defensive end in Willie Young to apply some defensive pressure....that's it! At SC, at night and what will most likely be a wet night! O'Brien said tonight on the news that the only thing we can hope for is to somehow keep the ball...not so promising. I got in at -12 and I would take SC by -17.5!

I definitely would be on the gamecocks as well in this one. brown is a very good rb if he is healthy, but eugene was definitely the #1 going into the season due to teh injuries of baker and brown.

I believe UVA's qb returned punts as well. I would not like to see Wilson back there because he could get hurt. I wouldnt mind seeing the track star TJ Graham back there and see if he cant find a hole.

Anyways this one has gone from one I was excited about watching to now Im scared as to how bad it could get. I agree with all of ETG's assessments of us not scoring very much in this one.

Back