Big Daddy? Topic 2? Big Ten Discussion

Lets Talk Big 10 Then

You support the school in Indiana East....

So, it's pretty clear cut that OSU is the team this year in the conference. I don't think anyone will disagree. After that, the concensus would be PSU and UW. Then it gets murky. I think that concensus could get broken up though. We'll see. I think the big part of this season is that both PSU and OSU have to go to Camp Randall. Going to be interesting.

As far as Michigan's "little brother" go...

This is the year I think PSU breaks through finally. I also think the MSU game in AA will be a great game. Obviously this is all before seeing what the new QB's can do, but looking at motivational aspects and what the other schools are bringing.

I cant talk to you since you have that damn avatart back....

But talking to the rest of the people I say

I do agree that Ohio State is the class of the Big 10 and that Penn State and Wisky are right behind.

As far as Penn State:
It will be interesting to hear what happens with the 6 players that were suspended for Spring Drills- any update on any of them? Supposedly most were expected to be reinstated. If Sean Lee were healthy, I think Penn State would be right up there with Ohio State. Their lines on both sides of the ball will give them a great advantage in all but 2 games (Wisky and OSU). With those games being on the road (Ohio State at night..not sure about Wisky) in two VERY tough spots, could spell 2Ls in the Big 10.

Iowa:
I think they may sneak up on a couple of teams this year. The money will lie right on Jake Christianson (sp?). I think he is someone to watch that could have fit into category 1. He had good numbers last year but did not have the completion %. He was like 3:1 in TDs to INTs...If he could get his % up, they may be able to move the ball.

Everything coming out of Spring seems to point to Nate Guillory at RB. They have no RB that even had a carry last year. I remember when Guillory was coming out of high school. He is great vision and strength. Thinking he may be new comer of the year if he does get that job. (can JICO transfers be new comer of the year)?

Their line seems to be the big question. They were awful last year but suffered a lot of injuries. Anyone know about Richardson?

Their DL seems to be solid but the DBs and LBs will be putrid IMO

Wisky:
I think they have the best OL in the country. Steele has them #6:
The Badgers OLine was banged up last year and by year's end two rFr were starting on the left side of the line. This year they lose 1 starter and have 5 back who had 6 or more starts last year due to the injuries. Wisconsin averaged 201 ypg rush with their 4.4 ypc. While they did allow 9.5% sacks, 10 came to Ohio State when the Oline was banged up.

They have the #1 recruit from 2007 and an All American from 2005 that won't even start.

With a healthy line PJ Hill may hit close to 2000 yards this year. Does anybody have an idea who will be the starting QB? I figured it would be the Evridge beacause his time as a starter at KState but I am not sure?

They really do not have anything back at WR. The trouble with this is that they will once again be one-dimensional. I do not think that they will be able to just line up and run it down the throats of Ohio State or Penn State. Those 2 schools Defensive Lines are too good for a team to do that. Ohio State has way to much talent in the secondary and LBs to let a one dimensional team burn them IMO

As far as defense? Here is a little exert I found on a different site:

Senior defensive end Matt Shaughnessy (6-6, 253), a second-team All-Big Ten pick and Wisconsin's defensive MVP last year, thought he would be among the few and the proud. But in the waning moments of Wisconsin's final practice before its spring game, as if to prove no defensive linemen was immune from the injury bug, Shaughnessy broke his leg.

The good news? The young man who piled up 18 tackles for loss and five sacks in 2007 should be cleared to play in time for fall camp. Barring any summertime calamities, Shaughnessy should be the last lineman to round back into shape. Fifth-year defensive tackle Jason Chapman (6-4, 285), who missed the final three games last year after tearing up his knee, was on a rehabilitation pace that would allow him to take part in summer workouts. The same for fifth-year senior Mike Newkirk (6-3, 264), who started all 13 games last year but went out early in spring ball with a shoulder injury. The fourth projected starter, junior defensive end O'Brien Schofield (6-3, 232), broke his hand but taped it up so he could keep practicing. If all four of these show up on Aug. 30 in good health and ill temper, the Badgers should have one of the Big Ten's best lines. Chapman, who has 31 career starts and 7.5 sacks on his resume, and Newkirk, who owns six career sacks, make Wisconsin strong up the middle.

So they are saying that they could be one of the better lines if all of the players return healthy lol? Too many questions for me.

They have a lot of depth at LB. Steele rates them at 20 but I think they are more top 15...

I think Wisky could make a run but do not think they have enough to handle Ohio State. Then again wierder things have happened at Camp Randell (esp. at night)...

Penn State has the talent to beat OSU and Wisky but playing on the road at both make it very difficult for a sweep...

Also I think Michigan will be a lot better than anticipated by most. What is that future number on OSU? If it is double digits, that will get pounded by me...

and oh yeah since we are on the Big 10....That Beanie Wells runs shit thread- that is why people hate Ohio State and their fans...

Hey Yes, I saw that you mentioned that you like the Purdue over 7 wins in the other thread. Would like to know more about that as I have already bet the under 7.

I think Wisky could make a run but do not think they have enough to handle Ohio State. Then again wierder things have happened at Camp Randell (esp. at night)...

Penn State has the talent to beat OSU and Wisky but playing on the road at both make it very difficult for a sweep...

Also I think Michigan will be a lot better than anticipated by most. What is that future number on OSU? If it is double digits, that will get pounded by me...

Hey Yes, I saw that you mentioned that you like the Purdue over 7 wins in the other thread. Would like to know more about that as I have already bet the under 7.

I just said it was something to look at....I really just saw the number and threw it out their (mostly because of Painter). I just said it was something to look at. I will look at it a little bit later and make a stronger opinion:shake:

As far as Wisky goes..they still have Beckum and he is a stud as we know...

I think Everidge(sp) has some competition at QB right now.

I just said it was something to look at....I really just saw the number and threw it out their (mostly because of Painter). I just said it was something to look at. I will look at it a little bit later and make a stronger opinion:shake:

Ah, ok. Just misinterpreted the post. Thanks. :shake:

Oh My God that is unbelievable:seeya: There is no way that number will be that high at the end of the regular season IMO. This has all those years in the 90s where OSU was way up in the rankings and UM beat em....:whip:

And BAR you can change the title iif you want....and if you do, you might as well change that avatar while your at it....and you might as well change my little headline that has been up there for way to long

And BAR you can change the title iif you want....and if you do, you might as well change that avatar while your at it....and you might as well change my little headline that has been up there for way to long
Okay

You can thank tru/steed for changing mine last night. Had to find a quick replacement. Not a fan of Dr. Chill, huh?

Suuure ;)

Yessir , for what it's worth , I think Iowa has an offensive line that falls right in there with what michigan state and illinois bring to the table. In fact , slightly better. And considering this is a good O-line conference I think that means they are quality.

One thing that Iowa does produce for the NFL is offensive linemen, as you know as a bigten guy but for those who dont follow iowa football. That is what they are known for , that is where they excel in recruiting because HS offensive linemen know it too ( see texas ).

This line is VERY experienced now. The 5 starters combined for 50 starts last year , or 10 per starter.

Ferentz is good at coaching up this particular position.

The projected talent level of the offensive line is very high. The average PS# attributed by steele to this group is 28.2 !! What is more amazing is that if you were to use Scout or Rivals ratings they are even better than that. So the hawkeyes had a young line last year , that now has experience and whose head coach is a former offensive line coach from the niffel.

Size of line is as follows.....

LT 293
LG 300
C 287
RG 309
RT 304

I wouldn't consider this unit a ? at all. I think they are part of the reason that this iowa team is one of the better teams against the spread this year.

good stuff Kyle...I agree that they will be good against the number this year but for different reasons. Though I do think experience plays a big role, I do not think that it makes a average player great. Like you said, they do have PS# but they still must prove themselves.

All in all, my "big question" statement was more on the health and how these guys will gel, rather than talent alone. Dace Richardson and Bryan Bulaga (both starters) missed all of Spring Drills. Richardson knee problems and Bulaga has shoulder problems, both crucial for linemen. Unless these guys are healthy, Christanson will be on the run (which would be very bad). And though I do like Guillory, whether if he is not as good as expected? Or if he has a hard to in his first year in D1?

We're thin [at running back]," Ferentz said. "It's a position of concern."
Obvious statement of the century ...lol

I just am not completely sold on these guys yet. If the line attains that "chemistry" often gained in the Spring, they will be real good against the number IMO

:shake:

good stuff Kyle...I agree that they will be good against the number this year but for different reasons. Though I do think experience plays a big role, I do not think that it makes a average player great. Like you said, they do have PS# but they still must prove themselves.

All in all, my "big question" statement was more on the health and how these guys will gel, rather than talent alone. Dace Richardson and Bryan Bulaga (both starters) missed all of Spring Drills. Richardson knee problems and Bulaga has shoulder problems, both crucial for linemen. Unless these guys are healthy, Christanson will be on the run (which would be very bad). And though I do like Guillory, whether if he is not as good as expected? Or if he has a hard to in his first year in D1?

We're thin [at running back]," Ferentz said. "It's a position of concern."
Obvious statement of the century ...lol

I just am not completely sold on these guys yet. If the line attains that "chemistry" often gained in the Spring, they will be real good against the number IMO

:shake:

yup.

They are not going to compete for the bigten title. Just saying they may suprise some people and looking over the conference i think they will be one of the better teams against the spread.

Got any good minnesota "beware the" gopher information ? This is the team i am having hardest time in this conference to gauge. I think they improve back to the average minny team we used to see as opposed to the train wreck of last year.

had to hear it on the streets your in vegas for the summer..when u coming back?..count u in FF?

For what it's worth, I would have Ohio St as about an 18 point favorite if they opened up the season at home to Michigan. The 'Wolves would be about even money not to score; the futures line of 14' is so difficult; I am pretty confident of the type of team OSU will have in week 12, but how much and how fast Michigan improves is just about anyone's guess; throw in all the defections and transfers, that if they have any major injury issues...what are they...down to walk-ons? Looking at their schedule, I actually think there is a decent chance Michigan will not make a bowl this year.

Some other random B10 thoughts (and questions)...

No one has mentioned (that I've seen) that Tiller is retiring after this season after a long stint at Purdue...anyone have a feel if they have a better chance of overachieving because of this? Is he well liked?

It's redundant...but I agree with VK...Iowa looks like a spread darling to me and I am going to give Brewster and the Gophers a mulligan and look to bet them early in the season as I think they return to their ways under Mason.

it's unbelievable that USC is -300 to win the Pac10 while OSU is +105 (Greek) to win the Big 10; only explanation is the staggered B10 schedule while in the Pac10 you play everybody (who said the west coast wasn't manly?!). I think OSU is better than USC and their two closest competitors are breaking in new QB's. OSU at +105 looks like an absolute gift. Is there a Michigan homer out there that wants to talk me off this future?

I'm worried about Illinois...they lost a lot, they won't sneak up on people and Zook is a lousy gameday coach. And they seem to be getting their share of offseason kudos. Below .500 ATS.

Like Northwestern this year, Bacher is a solid QB...Indiana is my mystery team that I'm having trouble getting a grip on, though QB Lewis has been reinstated...Ohio St @ Wisconsin will be like Ohio St @ Penn St LY.

had to hear it on the streets your in vegas for the summer..when u coming back?..count u in FF?

lol I had to come back to go to nashville for work...and had a wedding in Akron Saturday but I will be back in Vegas Saturday for a month or so...

Definately in for FF....good feeling SupBro will be in contention this year:tiphat:

very good thoughts horses.... I agree to the upmost that Iowa will be a ATS beast this year- That was the main reason I included them when I did the first three....Also great point about the Tiller factor. As far as I know he has been a players coach, and they do like him. It is wierd how these things work themselves out...As far as the Michigan Ohio State line, I would never lay DD with either of the teams against each other. This game has a history of upsets (especially with Michigan being the inferior team). The last time the margain of victory was 10 years ago when OSU won by 15. In fact, it has only happened 6 times since 1969. In that 39 year span there were way more desparity in talent IMO (at times).

Not a real good feel on Minnesota but do have some stuff....just had a wreck outside my house...power is out...looks bad....I going to go make sure all is well

Iowa is not going to be good once again. Ferentz cannot live off of his past. The past two years have been atrocious. You know why Ferentz was the flavor of the week is because he had talent out the crapoola. Hodge, Greenway, Bob Sanders, Jordan Babineax, Sean Considine, Dallas Clark, Matt Roth, Eric Steinbach, Bruce Nelson, Robert Gallery, all on NFL rosters right now started together in college.

Same with Purdue. Purdue was stacked for awhile with talent from about 01-04. Landon Johnson, Niko Koutouvides, Jacques Reeves, Rob Ninkovich, Ray Edwards, Stuart Schweigert, Nick Harwich, Sean Phillips, Craig Terril, and Gilbert Gardner all started on the same college team.

----Iowa offensively LY had injuries at wide receiver talent off field they were about as bad as you could get. Dramatically better TY also with Moeki at TE. Still, Christensen is a horrible QB, and line although healthier more experience I personally believe the line will only be minimally better and with Christensen the offense will still be bad.

last year Iowa's front 7 was tremendous and this year they lose 4 starters including great DE's. Secondary was weak last year but was covered up by great front 4 play. IT will be exposed this year. Add Iowa loses points for getting manhandled by Western Michigan in a game needed to reach a bowl IMO that says something about the program.

--I would call IU and Purdue the two worst team in the big ten this year with Minnesota and Northwestern close by.

---IMO Illinois and Michigan State are bing overlooked this year.

Penn State has best OL in conf. great skill positions great upgrade in off calling and style with Clark mimicking 05. Defense, did Chris Baker and Phillip Taylor both DT's get reinstated? Defense LY statistically wasn't bad at all but eye test said they couldn't compare to 05 D. Secondary did not come up and stick anybody.

Wiconsin great lines concern with Carter at safety out of position and also a concern with receivers. TE's are the playmakers and that's all they have for playmakers. If the run is shut down Wisky can look pretty bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really like how Wisconsins schedule shapes up this year. They play the other 2 "elite" teams at home and although its tough looking (@Michigan, OSU, PSU, @Iowa) I think they can 3 out of 4 there. And Im pretty sure they would be thrilled to do that considering the troubles they have had at the Big House and at Kinnick over the past 8-10 years. I think they beat OSU and lose to PSU. Just a hunch of mine. For some reason I think they match up pretty good vs the Buckeyes. They gave them a run for their money last year at the Shoe with hardly no starters on offense. So although I think OSU will still win the conference I think Bucky has a legit shot as well.
Like someone mentioned earlier they have another huge OL which will pave the way for the RB's. I wouldnt be suprised to see them split a majority of the carries. If nothing else to keep Hill fresh. They have 4 legit RB's this year that if were the feautre back all could rush for 1200 IMO. They are moving one of them, Lance Smith to like a scat back kind of player. RB/WR combo. The only thing that worries me on offense is the QB. Are they going to be consistent enough to win games. I still dont know if its going to be Everidge or Sherer(sp?)
Defense is going to be very good. The line is going to be dominant with everyone coming back but Hayden. Shaugnessy and Chapman will be the playmakers. LB trio is one of the best in the nation. I would say fastest in the nation with Cassillas, Levy, and Hodge (when healthy). They are going to anchor the defense. CB worry me. Henry is coming off a torn ACL and hopes to be ready for the season. Im just not a big fan of Langford. Hes a poor man Jamar Fletcher basically.
I really have high hopes for this team though this year. Im saying Rose Bowl or Bust. Hopefully OSU beats USC they got the Ship and we can lock up the Rose Bowl berth finishing 2nd in the conf.

OSU still has their own problems and are vulnerable.

Mainly DT. Lots of new guys getting first blood last year but they were awful. Like to think alot of it was mental.
Lawrence Wilson at DE should improve the line he is better than Gholston IMO. Broke leg first game LY. Him and Heyward are as good as it gets.

LB's LY were soft against the run. Lauranitis is overrated in that aspect as far as filling the 2 gap, he is best ever against pass also can be drag down tackler. Freeman not great vs. run either but once again one of best ever here vs. pass.

---wide receivers Robiskie and Hartline pretty much straight line guys can be smothered. Not the talent there like in the past. Our offense lacked a dynamic but this could be shored up with true frosh Posey (reportedly killing Malcom Jenkins) and Lamaar Thomas who is Percy Harvin clone.

The safeties can cover ground athletic but Coleman in particular is undersized and can't tackle.

---I say it will be a success because the offense is going to change from last year. Absolutely 2002 run dominated offense. Passing too much has gotten into some trouble recently esp with these receivers. This season rides on Beanie and out of that foundation Tressel knows when to mix in the pass selectively. Reveivers are possession and fit perfectly into this offense.

IMO this D cannot compare to 2002. I don't know if it's good enough.

Why did Wisky struggle vs. the run so much last year? There was some shaky games in their, UNLV, Iowa, MSU, Illinois, PSU. That one stretch. I didn't think they were great last year at all.

I thought they had more injuries on the Dline but Steele says they were pretty similar to this year so I don't see their Dline being that great.

LB's were solid so I don't see it.

I do believe mentally guys were out of position uncharacteristically last year. The safeties IMO are the major weakness of this football team.

The qb will be fine, the wr's are big dropoff. Hubbard and Swann getting hurt last year was huge what a big effect I don't see more than a slight improvement this year.

Honestly, I see Wisky as being just slightly better than last year. I think Michigan will have a better football team, and Wisky will be right there with Illinois and Michigan State.

The OLine is the biggest improvement and everywhere else is equal.

illinois to win the Big 10

look at this new stadium, all those press boxes

default_pic.jpg

nice stadium but the least bit intimidating......

actually saw the bears play the saints there years back

nice stadium but the least bit intimidating......

actually saw the bears play the saints there years back

i still cant believe i went to watch your shit bears play has fun sneaking beer up to the 15th floor

Let me add:

Last year OSU D-line allowed just 83ypg (2.5) recording 43 sacks. I believe that is the biggest misrepresentation I've seen in my life.

Let's look at how skewed data can become by playing cupcakes in which their net rushing total is 0 or in the negative department.

Am I correct that sacks are still recorded with rushing totals. I am sorry but I'll use the eye test before I buy into some of these Steele #'s. With today's shedules there is such a small sample size to see what the lines are really like.

---Another example is PSU's 94ypg (2.7) #2 NCAA with 46 sacks. Their DLine could not match up with the big boys from other conferences last year, hell they got dominated by OSU's OLine last year the one Big Ten line that could compare to other national lines.

The Big Ten is sad right now but did not get enough credit from 00-04.

i still cant believe i went to watch your shit bears play has fun sneaking beer up to the 15th floor

That was the start of their downfall....came of that 13 win (i think) season and started 2-0...Had the big lead blew...then sucked till they went to the SB

Back