Best Season Win Total?

Houghton Chemical

Pretty much a regular
I'm looking to invest heavily (10 units) on one NFL team for the season win total. I'll be playing this at YouWager. It seems like an overall awful book, but they mailed me a great pamphlet about their bonuses, so I figured, I'll just play futures here.

Anyway, I'm looking through the Season Win Totals and wanted some opinions on just picking ONE team.

These are my leans: (all lines YouWager)

Chicago U7.5 -120

Bears finished 7-9 and I'm envisioning the same or 6-10 this year. Orton will start for Chicago this year and in my opinion, he's slightly better than Grossman. The anemic offense gets revamped. A new RB, some new WRs, taking to a new QB, it will take time to get that cohesiveness, so productivity could be low. Don't be surprised to find them at the bottom of the NFC North when this season is done.

Projection: 6-10
Wins- TB, @DET, @ATL, DET, @STL, NO
Losses- @IND, @CAR, PHIL, MIN, TENN, @GB, @MIN, JAX, GB, @HOU
Key Games: TENN, MIN, GB, @HOU

Cleveland U8 EV
A lot of discussion has been made about this team here at CTG and I'm part of the group that's counting on a regression this year. When you defeat only one playoff team, and by a slim margin at that, and STILL churn out an 10-6 season, probability would say lighting does not strike twice, and some of the breaks they got, won't go they're way. Add in a tougher schedule this year, and that assessment probably isn't too far off. They have a lot of talent on this team, and they have another year of experience under their belts, but that can only account for so much. I think we'll learn a lot about where this team is headed in Week 1. If they beat Dallas SU, this Under projection could be decided. I'm using last year as my main angle here, and Dallas is a team Cleveland would NOT have beaten last year, and if they do, there's a good chance they finish with over 8 wins.

Projection: 8-8

Wins: PIT, @BALT, @WASH, BALT, DEN, @BUF, CIN,
Losses: DAL, NYG, @JAX, HOU, IND, @TEN, @PHI, @PIT
Key Games: PIT, NYG, HOU, CIN, @PIT

Note: After going game by game, I'm not sure if Under is a wise bet. I have a feeling I push or lose here. If Cincinnati and Pittsburgh under perform, those teams might throw it in towards the end of the season and those teams are the last two Cleveland faces. Once again, a playoff spot could be on the line and I really wouldn't be surprised if they sneak in this year, if this is how it shakes down. Pass for now.

Houston O7.5 -120

Last year, Houston finished at a franchise best 8-8. If they do it again here, I win. Simple as that. Houston will be gunning for a wildcard spot and I think they can do that. BUT they NEED to pick up some early wins to boost confidence, but they'll be doing it against quality opponents. Like Cleveland, a lot will be learned in their first games. With Houston, it's their first five. If they get 3 out of 5, expect the over to cash. If they don't, be prepared to sweat it out for the duration. The offense is coming together. Towards the end of the season, they were putting up 30 a game or so. Slaton will be a big help in establishing the ground game, making the entire offense a threat. The key this season is conference play. They went 1-5 against the AFC South and 7-3 against everyone else. Performing well in conference will give them the confidence they need to get to the playoffs and cement the 8 wins we need.

Projection: 8-8

Wins: BALT, MIA, DET, CIN, @CLE, TEN, @OAK, CHI
Losses: @PIT, @JAX, IND, @MIN, @IND, JAX, @GB,
Key Games: Almost all. First five games then, CIN, @CLE, but especially, TEN. Just by the way things shake down for both of them, after that game, it's a must win for both.

Minnesota O8.5 -125

The Vikings are receiving a lot of preseason buzz and expectations are high. In my 23 years of life, other than the 1998 NFC Championship team, this team has been mediocre. But even in those years, a 9 win season wasn't out of the question, and that's all I'm asking for here. Offense is solid, but Jackson is a big question mark. I personally believe he'll be alright. Adrian Peterson is the star and for good reason, he carried the team last year. But the defense is the real glue for Minnesota. They allowed 19 ppg on average and shut down ANYONE who tried to run on them. Adding Jared Allen this year will make them even tougher. If Jackson can do enough to get by, this should be a safe 9-10 win team.

Projection:11-5
Wins: @GB, CAR, @NO, DET, CHI, HOU, @TB, CHI, @DET, @AZ, ATL
Losses: IND, @TEN, GB, @JAX, NYG(last game of year, resting for playoffs)
Key Games: @GB, Chicago series. I think they can steal the opener against Green Bay. The Favre era ends and Rodgers and the crowd can still feel his shadow.

Philadelphia O9 -110
This could be a breakout year for Philadelphia. It'll be hard because of the competition within the division, but made easier because of their schedule. The offense is really the main concern here. They straight up struggled last year and the injuries sealed the deal. The same old faces show up again this year. It could be the last hurrah for McNabb and Westbrook, but now, McNabb has a weapon he's never had before: DeSean Jackson. Maybe I'm still being swayed by his impressive performance against New England, but I remember watching his Cal games, and I hate to be cliche', but he has game-changing speed. That's something McNabb's never had and that will scare the secondaries of the NFC East. Philadelphia defense should still be solid as well. They lacked in pass coverage, allowing 11 ypp, but Asante Samuel should bring that number down. But what I love most about this play is the out of division schedule. It's a walk in the park. In division play, I have Philadelphia losing one series and splitting the rest of the division games, something they basically did last year. They do that, and still, we get a solid 11 win season.

Projection: 11-5

Wins: STL, PIT, @CHI, WASH, @SF, ATL, NYG, @CIN, @BALT, AZ, CLEV,
Losses: @DAL, @SEA, @NYG, @WASH, DAL
Key Games: PIT, @SF, AZ, All Division games

Thanks for reading. These are all leans, I just want some help in narrowing down the list. Good luck to everyone this year.

Plan to play one or two myself..

Short list includes:

Miami under
Stl under

Miami is probably my play.. Good thoughts above. I'll get in here and comment later..:cheers:

I really like the Texans to get to at least 8 wins this year. I am expecting a 9-7 at least this year. But you are right with the division being that tough. To be honest, I dont know what all the hype about jacksonville is. I only see the Colts being on top and thats if Manning is good. If Manning gets roughed up a bit, I dont see why the texans cannot win that division. I have also put a wager on this at over 7.5 games for $2000.

BOL

Thanks for the feedback guys, but it's interesting how different teams stand out to each of us. Miami was not really on my radar either way, Tee, but it seems to be one of your stronger leans. From sifting through other's season futures threads, there doesn't seem to be a board "consensus."

Wiz, I may be dropping Houston. Last year, their defense was horrible, and I don't feel they can turn it around that dramatically this year. They could put up 30 a game and still give up 34-37, you know what I mean? I don't really want to be stressed out watching them every week.

I don't think CHi beats DET twice but I also don't see five losses at home which is what you show..

What's the Cincy under at YouWager?

Cincinnati 7.5

Over-EV
Under- -130

I don't know Jump. It's a tough home sched. They might beat Tennessee, maybe Jacksonville? I think the division rivals take it to them hard though. I agree with you on Detroit. They could surprise some people this year. They have a tough D, so I wouldn't be surprised if they split that series, but I just wanted to give Chicago the benefit of the doubt. So all in all, what's your take on Chicago?

Based on some games you seem them winning, why aren't you considering the Titans OVER 8? The offense isn't the greatest but they will have a solid D, great special teams and very good coaching.If they beat Minnesota,Cleveland and Chicago like you have them doing, they are pushing at worst.

The biggest case for the Titans at this number is the schedule.Their toughest games with the AFC/NFC North are at home(PIT,GB,CLE,MIN) while the more beatable teams are on the road. They get the Colts at home on MNF a week before Indy plays NE as well as another game with the Colts at the end of the season in which they might be resting starters.

I love the Vikings over. The team is stacked with the exception of QB and all he has to do is not lose the game.

Be careful with the Texans. They won't sneak up on teams this season. I think they are a 6-8 win team this year, so the line is right and tough to beat. If you bet the OVER on a team I think you would want a great chance to completely crush the number. Minnesota fits this criteria because it's not hard to see them winning 11 games. I just can't see Houston winning ten games, maybe nine if everything breaks right.

I like the Bears under a lot. I've tried to figure out where they got the number as the Bears still have a terrible QB situation, no receivers, an unproven running back and the schedule seems to get more difficult with the AFC South. They won 6 last season, what is the book's case for the Bears winning 8? It just seems way too easy.

Lean your way on the Eagles, just don't want to tempt McNabb getting hurt. I think the Browns line is tough to bet either way.

GL Houghton.

Thanks for your sharp insight Music City. For me, Tennessee is too much of a question mark. The running game is good, but I'd like to see how Young develops as a passer. If he does that, this will be a breakout year for them, but until then, they're going to be fighting for second place in that division. You have some tough competition, with very high expectations for everyone in that division, so each team needs to bring their best every week. What makes that harder for Tennessee is that the don't have the talent in some positions to match their rivals. I'd say they have the worst receiving corps in their division. I'm not saying they can't beat the 8, but I think it could go either way.

Your assessment on Houston is right on. You're absolutely correct about needing to find a team that will blow right by the total, and I'm not sure Houston can with that unproven defense.

Chicago and Minnesota look very tempting and so do the Eagles. A McNabb injury isn't really a concern for me as much as a Westbrook one would be. That would be devastating.

Take STL off my under lean list.. Lots more weapons on Offense with Rookie WR's and defense looks pretty stout.. May even flip and put them as an over lean..

Ariz looks to have Warner set as starter to start the season.. This gets my attn.. Looking closer at schedule but will now list Ariz as a tentative lean for over..

This thread has good potential.. Get in here guys and provide local input..:cheers:

Can someone post the link or the page w/ all the totals?

Chiefs UNDER 3.5.........we are gonna be Awful!!!!

I got down on the Colts o11+135 when it came out @ 5Dimes. I'm sure because of Peyton/Harrison's current states, many will knock this one. However, this is a team that has proven time & again they know how to win! 13-3 last season (basically without Harrison), 12-4 or better the last 5 straight seasons. Getting + money is a must for a future play from me, as I'm not waiting a whole season for a straight play. Getting + money for a team to finish where they do every season looks great to me. I think Peyton will be fine, & Addai will continue to be a great back. The defense was pretty solid last season- no reason to think they don't do the same again. Tough schedule, but I expect a 12-4 season for the Colts.

I like Houston.
I can see a sweep of Tenn, and splits with Indy and Jax (they always seem to give Jax fits). I could also see a win @GB. The team also has good depth at QB. I think SR should be the starter anyway.

I'm gonna make this bet myself as well as Hou to win their Division.

I got down on the Colts o11+135 when it came out @ 5Dimes. I'm sure because of Peyton/Harrison's current states, many will knock this one. However, this is a team that has proven time & again they know how to win! 13-3 last season (basically without Harrison), 12-4 or better the last 5 straight seasons. Getting + money is a must for a future play from me, as I'm not waiting a whole season for a straight play. Getting + money for a team to finish where they do every season looks great to me. I think Peyton will be fine, & Addai will continue to be a great back. The defense was pretty solid last season- no reason to think they don't do the same again. Tough schedule, but I expect a 12-4 season for the Colts.

Good luck Lex, hope it cashes for ya, and it could, it's just that the whole division is tight and Indianapolis has really played close ones with division rivals in the past and this could be the year that some of those tight ones get away from them.

I like Houston.
I can see a sweep of Tenn, and splits with Indy and Jax (they always seem to give Jax fits). I could also see a win @GB. The team also has good depth at QB. I think SR should be the starter anyway.

I'm gonna make this bet myself as well as Hou to win their Division.

I liked Houston too. I can really see them scoring a lot this year and it could be a breakout year.I'm just worried about that defense. One thing I didn't even touch on in my writeup was that the Texans were one of the worst overall defensive teams. They have a hard time stopping good, balanced offenses, and unfortunately, with JAX and IND, they'll see them twice. Basically, I think I've narrowed down my list to Chicago, Minnesota and Philadelphia.

Naw, Hile. I'm just being generous. I figure they're bound to upset someone during the season, so I just chalked up a sweep of the equally bad Detroit team to compensate for that. Which team are you looking at?

With Devin Hester going agaisnt Indy Special Teams and Peyton banged up i gotta think we have a shot there. I like the over best tho.

Even with its dismal season last year, CHI beat GB 2-0, beating them 27-20 in GB if I remember correctly...That was with Favre. And they lost by 9pts and 10pts. to DET.

Not sure how you got your read on CHI, but I just don't see it unfolding the way you do. I don't necessarily disagree on the season total, I think you just have a couple teams backwards.

Back