Bengals vs. Browns TNF Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Bengals vs. Browns: NFL Week 2 Thursday Night Football Picks & Predictions

Cincinnati Bengals vs. Cleveland Browns
Thursday, September 17, 2020 at 8:20 p.m. ET at FirstEnergy Stadium in Cleveland, Ohio

Intro

The biggest betting mistake, which happens every year, is to derive too many conclusions from Week 1 results.

But this common mistake in no way suggests that we should simply expect teams to produce an opposite impression in Week 2.

Understanding why Cleveland lost 38-6 will help inform our NFL Betting Pick for this week’s upcoming contest.

Understanding What Happened To Cleveland

It’s easy to point to Cleveland’s new coaching staff and suggest that, especially without a preseason, disorder should have been expected against a top-caliber Baltimore squad that featured significant continuity from last season.

But look at Carolina and Washington. Both teams similarly had new coaches and new key personnel and, still, Washington won and Carolina led late in the fourth quarter.

Actually, I think that the Browns struggled so much largely because they were not new enough, not different enough from the team that lost 31-15 late last year to Baltimore.

Passing Game Troubles

One piece of continuity was Baker Mayfield. Mechanically, he remained flat-footed and otherwise insufficient as he tried to drop back and throw.

He tried to force the ball to Odell Beckham Jr., the hyped-up diva and has-been who represents a continuous cancer to Cleveland’s big-named receiving corps with his relentless ego and his disappointments on the field.

While OBJ only caught three passes for 22 yards and showed alarmingly bad hands at times, Mayfield barely completed over half his passes and failed to reach 200 passing yards despite attempting 39 passes and having plenty of garbage time.

Oddly enough, Cleveland’s new coach (Kevin Stefanski) seemed to don a Freddie Kitchens mask. Like last year, the Browns lined up a lot in shotgun with an empty backfield.

Bright Spot

Kareem Hunt and Nick Chubb represented Cleveland’s backfield very positively. Both running backs averaged over five YPC, combining for 132 yards on 23 carries.

So why didn’t we see more of them? Baltimore had Cleveland behind double digits in the second quarter. The deficit created by the Ravens limited Cleveland’s playbook.

Offensively, Cleveland’s offense remains hopeless when too much pressure to perform is placed on Baker. He is not a leader and certainly not a mature leader. He’s not going to put Cleveland’s offense on his back.

But the Bengals are not a team with elite continuity at quarterback that is coming off a 14-2 season. They will at least not force the Browns into the kind of deficit that would compel them to limit their playbook.

Playaction

Also with respect to its run defense, Cincinnati will pose a much softer test for Cleveland.

In Week 1, the Bengals surrendered 155 rushing yards to a Charger team without Melvin Gordon that doesn’t have the passing attack anymore to keep defenses honest.

This is a Bengals squad that allowed the most rushing yards per game last year and misses starting defensive tackle Geno Atkins to injury.

With the Browns able to run both due to Cincinnati’s lack of run defense and due to the game being closer, we’ll see Kevin Stefanski in a comfortable position as Cleveland’s play-caller.

Last year with the Vikings, Stefanski had quarterback Kirk Cousins attempt play-action passes at one of the NFL’s highest rates.

There’s no reason why he won’t have Mayfield attempt a lot of play-action passes especially because his comfort with this play-type is already well-known.

For all of his struggles last year, he completed 65.5 percent of his passes and accumulated close to 600 yards with a five-to-zero touchdown-to-interception ratio when attempting play-action passes from under center.

Because Freddie Kitchens is not Kevin Stefanski, Mayfield only attempted 55 play-action passes under center.

Even if OBJ continues to be the OBJ of recent times, he’ll still demand the defense’s attention. Plus, Mayfield still has Pro Bowler Jarvis Landry to throw to in addition to Austin Hooper, who’s coming off a big season with Atlanta in 2019.

Fellow tight end David Njoku caught all three of his targets for 50 yards and a touchdown before leaving the game due to injury. Keep an eye on his status especially because Stefanski loves to get tight ends involved.

Bengals Pass Attack

After initially getting his feet wet, rookie Joe Burrow delivered a promising finish in Week 1’s loss to the Chargers.

If a questionable offensive pass interference call were not made, he would have delivered the game-winning touchdown to A.J. Green.

Burrow grew especially comfortable after halftime adjustments enabled his offensive line to allow zero second half sacks against L.A.’s star-studded defensive line.

He also thrived as the Bengals lined up with five wide receivers.

With top receiver Green healthy and Tyler Boyd coming off a breakout year, the Bengals are strong at this position.

Browns Secondary

These wide receivers will often be open against a beleaguered Cleveland secondary that especially misses cornerback Greedy Williams to injury.

After catching four of five targets, Giovani Bernard remains a consistent pass-catching option out of the backfield.

Linebacker was known to be a weakness for the Browns coming into the season. They miss Mack Wilson plus fellow starter Jacob Phillips after barely doing anything to replace the departed Joe Schobert and Christian Kirksey.

Cleveland’s paltry back seven allowed Lamar Jackson to throw for 275 yards, three touchdowns, and zero interceptions while completing 20 of 25 passes.

The Verdict

Don’t draw too many conclusions from Cleveland’s Week 1 debacle. I think one can even say that Coach Stefanski at some point decided to hide his offensive style after Baltimore had the game sealed.

With more suitable play-calling plus a strong supporting cast in the backfield, Mayfield will play a lot better.

Cleveland will field a balanced offense against a weak and weakened Bengal run defense and a pass defense that faced a soft test in Week 1 but is mid-ranked by PFF.

Joe Burrow can counter Mayfield since he has his feet wet and he has sundry pass-catchers who will exploit a thin, vulnerable, and in some places woefully incompetent back seven.

Best Bet: Over 44.5 (-110) with BetOnline

I thought it was a mistake to abandon the run game just cause they were down 2-3 tds in 2nd qrtr. Still plenty of time and think it safe to say there no chance in hell baker leading them back by simply airing it out against any team let alone what is prob the best pass defense in the league!

I really think browns need to run a few wr screens or just quick short passes to Odell early in the game. We have seen all to many times over the years that if you don’t get obj the ball early he has a tendency to pout and become disengaged. I would think it be easy enough to get ball in his hands a few times on the opening drive One way or another!!

far as the over goes I guess that is a pretty good way to fade what we saw week one without picking a side. Both teams combined for less than 20 points and I assume most ppl realize Thursday nights have a tendency to be lower scoring (that my perception anyways) so should be rather contrarian!

Unfortunately that about the only great reason to play it imo. Browns may have linebacker issues but their defensive front very talented and I think will give bungals crappy oline all kinds of problems. As you mentioned it would make the most sense for Browns offense to run thru those talented backs instead of Baker!! That doesn’t automatically mean low scoring as you again mentioned it should open up the play action game which good, the bad be the clock should be running quite a bit on long ground and pound drives If browns offense is clicking.

My initial gut reaction when writing down numbers this week was 24-17 type of game (no capping involved, I just always start my week by going down card and writing a spread/total for all the games) I do think it would be wise to wait and see if you could potentially get the number down below 44 as that a pretty key number here imo.

I don’t wanna overreact to week 1, certainly not the scores and more than that not even how players look. That said I don’t think Baker is improving at all! Just his lack of presence in the pocket with a tendency to get happy feet or see ghost right away is awful! I don’t believe that is something that is a result of practice time or lack of live play. Obviously if they get the run game going to set up play action off of it should help get him comfortable but he still has to stand in there and trust his protection. He often acts as if he thinks he Russ Wilson or Lamar and starts scrambling, often times moving into pressure that wouldn’t be there otherwise.

I think I would show him pressure in the A gap on every play, don’t even have to bring the guy just put it in his head cause he so quick to bail.

I think I'll probably find myself on the Browns here, but going to have to follow along with the injury report as there are some key injuries.

Not really worried about the Njoku injury. More so paying attention to Cincy’s injuries on the DL and Browns secondary.

I think I'll probably find myself on the Browns here, but going to have to follow along with the injury report as there are some key injuries.

i pounded the browns -6,, i feel a little sick to my stomach!!!! lol.. bottom line is this could potentially be the most important week 2 game in history!!!!!!

if im the browns i give 40+ touches to chubb/hunt.. i would find a way to get obj the ball several times early on one way or another, screens, quick passes, whatever it takes to keep him from pouting and becoming disengaged..... Clowns have to show out tonight or this gonna turn into yet another train wreck very fast!!!

if im the browns i give 40+ touches to chubb/hunt.. i would find a way to get obj the ball several times early on one way or another, screens, quick passes, whatever it takes to keep him from pouting and becoming disengaged..... Clowns have to show out tonight or this gonna turn into yet another train wreck very fast!!!

Browns should be able to have a lot of success on the ground tonight with Atkins/Wren out

I’m on the under, don’t agree at all with your analysis.
Rookie Qb and rookie coach on a short week should mean vanilla game plans.
Burrow has the worst offensive line in the NFL and will be running for his life from the decent Browns pass rush. Look for short passes and running plenty of Mixon into the line. I thought the Bengals D looked improved, I disagree that the Chargers ran all over them, they only had 4 yards a rush (39/155). Adding Von Bell really helped settle the secondary. They have six new starters on defense so any analysis that relies on how they looked last year is outdated and lazy.

Mayfield is clearly regressing...happy feet in the pocket and throws the same rocket ball all the time, no touch. Browns pound the run and we have running clock situation and long drives.

I think we see another Who Dey grinder in the 16-13 type range. I grabbed under 44.5 on Monday AM and have a point of value right now.

Burrow has the worst offensive line in the NFL and will be running for his life from the decent Browns pass rush. Look for short passes and running plenty of Mixon into the line. I thought the Bengals D looked improved, I disagree that the Chargers ran all over them, they only had 4 yards a rush (39/155). Adding Von Bell really helped settle the secondary. They have six new starters on defense so any analysis that relies on how they looked last year is outdated and lazy.

Mayfield is clearly regressing...happy feet in the pocket and throws the same rocket ball all the time, no touch. Browns pound the run and we have running clock situation and long drives.

I think we see another Who Dey grinder in the 16-13 type range. I grabbed under 44.5 on Monday AM and have a point of value right now.

Zac Taylor is not a rookie coach. Do you have any particular stats about how rookie QBs do on a short week or anything that raises your point above the status of a guess?

Again, zero sacks allowed in the second half from an offensive line adjusting to having new pieces. Aren't you relying on last year's offensive line to make this judgement AFTER ONE HALF OF FOOTBALL? Although this o-line has revamped itself during the offseason. Talk to me about lazy.

In that four yards per rush, you're including eight carries from the bottom of the barrel. Idgaf what Tyrod Taylor ran for lol. Again, tell me about lazy.

Some of those new starters are at cornerback...so that's a pretty cheap stat. Plus, Atkins injured. Plus, a bunch of new starters don't just jive together. So yes I still look at last year for sure.

I know what Baker looks like from shotgun...I wrote about it lol. Baker's sexy numbers on playaction, though....I mean, just smoothly ignore anything that doesn't fit your narrative.

I get the point about long drives sustained by Cleveland running backs. But I think they will help Baker have a strong performance. I get the point about Burrow being a rookie. But I think he has a nice match-up with his receiving corps against a beleaguered Brownie secondary.

And no Cincy o-line isn't their best position. But you're just making up "worst" offensive line. We try to analyze things here instead of speaking in crude hyperboles that only serve your rhetorical ends. Football Outsiders says 19th. And when the injured Brownie secondary doesn't contain Cincy's bevy of receivers, I don't think Burrow needs much time...plus he's a very elusive guy for his size.

And no Cincy o-line isn't their best position. But you're just making up "worst" offensive line. We try to analyze things here instead of speaking in crude hyperboles that only serve your rhetorical ends. Football Outsiders says 19th. And when the injured Brownie secondary doesn't contain Cincy's bevy of receivers, I don't think Burrow needs much time...plus he's a very elusive guy for his size.
I was gonna take Burrow rushing yards, but it's gotten away from me.
I'm fine with him running.

Zac Taylor is not a rookie coach. Do you have any particular stats about how rookie QBs do on a short week or anything that raises your point above the status of a guess?

Again, zero sacks allowed in the second half from an offensive line adjusting to having new pieces. Aren't you relying on last year's offensive line to make this judgement AFTER ONE HALF OF FOOTBALL? Although this o-line has revamped itself during the offseason. Talk to me about lazy.

In that four yards per rush, you're including eight carries from the bottom of the barrel. Idgaf what Tyrod Taylor ran for lol. Again, tell me about lazy.

Some of those new starters are at cornerback...so that's a pretty cheap stat. Plus, Atkins injured. Plus, a bunch of new starters don't just jive together. So yes I still look at last year for sure.

I know what Baker looks like from shotgun...I wrote about it lol. Baker's sexy numbers on playaction, though....I mean, just smoothly ignore anything that doesn't fit your narrative.

Browns coach is the rookie. Vanilla both ways.

Back