BenchCoach Grapefruit League 2021

BenchCoach

Pretty much a regular
For no particular reason keeping the leagues a bit more separated in my head I am going to keep two Spring Training Threads this season. Don't know if I will have any plays the first few days. I will be weather watching primarily. Some tough pitchers yards in Florida so I look for spots in the first 5 innings with ideal pitching conditions. I have a man on the ground this year who will be my eyes and ears at many of the games I wager on. He lives in central Florida (retired) and can pretty much go to any game if not multiple games in one day. Not a bad way to sit back and enjoy the golden years. I'll be back to give my thoughts tomorrow morning. A lot of information to cover tonight while watching the tale end of these college hoops games. GL this spring guys.

Right now is when most of the veteran guys are sitting down to eat breakfast. In a normal year and 20 years ago many of the guys on the team would eat together. Who knows now days. Around 6:30-7am the early birds start getting to the clubhouse to start their day. By 8am the place is buzzing. Most complexes start their workouts at 9:30am but the early work and treatment starts hours before that. By 1pm most of the pitchers are done for the day. For the first few weeks this process repeats itself everyday until they start playing night games. Teams have started incorporating more night games earlier in the spring for a variety of reasons in recent years. It wasn't that long ago that you kept that day time schedule day after day for the better part of a month. If your in the minors you have the same schedule minus the night games.

I will be watching line movement the next couple of days and as I stated before watching pitching conditions very closely starting this afternoon. Every year there are a few tweaks in how I access information but normally I will be posting these 1st five inn totals within 10-20 minutes of the first pitch. That could change but the last couple springs thats how it has worked. Back later if I find anything...gl guys

1st year using Heritage...hope these first lines on day one are an aberration or I may be closing down that account during baseball season

I used to live/ visit Vero Beach, FL back in the day. Dodgertown in the spring, particularly in late 70s was a great time to be a kid that loved baseball.

I read the sporting news and collected autographs.

I was hooked forever.

Not sure if you guys saw the new spring training rules. Unfortunately these new rules make it impossible to wager on these games. I hope this is just for this year. I won’t even watch these games. Just glorified scripted scrimmages

Not sure if you guys saw the new spring training rules. Unfortunately these new rules make it impossible to wager on these games. I hope this is just for this year. I won’t even watch these games. Just glorified scripted scrimmages
What are they?

I concur...how can we put our hard earned cash on a game where one manager can call the other and say "well, let's call it good for today"

Had it happen today against me on my Royals bet, luckily it didn’t cost me. But POS Rangers twice called end to inning with bases loaded with the pitcher supposedly hit pitch limit BS. They could have called another guy in from bullpen. Just ridiculous they can do that.

I believe these rules go until March 13th. I believe at that time games go to 9 innings for sure and this BS about bailing out of innings ends. I’m assuming that most teams will not do that, because it’s just ridiculous, you have plenty of atms in spring training, don’t understand how you can’t get another guy some work.

Rangers are going to be an absolute POS this year. Looks like manager doesn’t even want to compete in spring training, that’s how complete void of talent they are.

Managers can call a game at any point if agreed upon. They are conferencing and agreeing on how many innings they will play before the game in most cases. So we have no idea how many innings the game is scheduled for. The worst is the pitch limit per inning rule. Makes it impossible to wager on these games. A manager can also bring in a reliever to finish an inning and then send his starter back out to start the next inning. Basically these are scrimmages not games. I have to think MLB is going to regret doing this. Who is going to pay to watch this. My contact in Florida is really pissed. He isn't going to pay to watch practices against other teams. Not the best way to get their fan bases excited about baseball again. Hopefully this idea is a one year wonder train wreck. I'll be back in a few weeks to check in I guess.

These plays will be $200 a unit. %40 percent of my normal 2* play in hoops. I have used this method of picking games in Spring Training in the past and it should work even with the crazy rules they are using in the early spring games. I have tracked for the past few days and it has gone 2-2-1, +.30 units. I will post em with the goal of hitting 10 units by the end of spring training. I will post Catus League plays in a separate thread. I will start posting these plays early early in the morning or the night before to get the best lines. I typically put them in at night when the bball games are over. These lines are from last night, I would still play them now. Try easy on these don’t break the bank.

3/4

BAL -110
HOU -126

Total...7-5-4...+1.79
3/4...2-0-1...+2.0
3/5...1-1...even
3/6...0-1...-1.10
3/7...0-0-1
3/9...1-2-1...-1.11
3/11...2-0-1...+2.0
3/13...1-1...even

3/14...bumping everything to 1.5 units today...I have a pretty good feel for what’s going on now, the next 10 days should be the best of the month.

DET -129
WAS +102
PIT +105
ATL -109
TOR -113
NYM ML/Houston Cougars (bb) ML Parlay...-113

Last edited:
Nice work Coach. No small feat navigating the wonky early scrimmage rules.

We're getting at least 7 innings for the remainder of spring training, so it'll feel a little more real now.

BOL

Back