BenchCoach Goes Bowling Part I

I was interested in if you were going to play FCS tonight. JMU is very opportunistic with forcing TO's and do everything right on defense, including pressure. NDST is just so damn impressive on the LOS and determined and have the stick to it mentality I think with their running game. I'm excited for this game tonight, think it really is going to be competitive.

I was interested in if you were going to play FCS tonight. JMU is very opportunistic with forcing TO's and do everything right on defense, including pressure. NDST is just so damn impressive on the LOS and determined and have the stick to it mentality I think with their running game. I'm excited for this game tonight, think it really is going to be competitive.
Same here…much better than the bowl game

Tough one with JMU…had the ball on NDST half of the field 3 or 4 times and got no point in the last 12 minutes and got no points. Right side, wrong outcome…profitable day, back in a bit

Last edited:
With Baylor Romney now starting at QB over Hall, does this change anything for you on BYU today, BC?

i dont think there much of any drop off between the 2, Romney actually looked better throwing the ball to me when he had his chances earlier in the season..

Yup. I watched Baylor play here in high school. Solid QB. Was just more curious, being it is a large play, if it affected BC's thoughts overall thoughts on the play (no change or lowering units, etc).

Yup. I watched Baylor play here in high school. Solid QB. Was just more curious, being it is a large play, if it affected BC's thoughts overall thoughts on the play (no change or lowering units, etc).
Nope no change. I had a pretty good idea this was possible. Actually May have added a little value. I would expect him to play better as the game goes on. Meet the Cougars to get the run game going. If they can the will own em 2H

Coach what do you make of all the missing players etc for UTSA? I think they were going to have trouble running the ball anyway against the SDST defense but now with McCormack out and OL missing they seem to really be fucked. SDST good at pressuring QB as well. It would seem their defense is good enough to win this game for them and they have certainly played a better schedule.

Coach what do you make of all the missing players etc for UTSA? I think they were going to have trouble running the ball anyway against the SDST defense but now with McCormack out and OL missing they seem to really be fucked. SDST good at pressuring QB as well. It would seem their defense is good enough to win this game for them and they have certainly played a better schedule.
Just reading this Tim…yes all of the above. I got a tip around 4am that there would be 10-12 UTSA players out. I didn’t know exactly who but I was led to believe they were significant. I was already on SDST pretty big but the tip maxed the play out for me. Anytime you have a superior defense who played a much more difficult schedule it’s a no brainer for me in these smaller bowls. UTSA played hard and they had a great season but the Aztecs wore them out and that showed late in the game.

Congrats on the big win, BC. Had a good chunk on Aztecs as well. Would love your thoughts on the Mizzou play when you get time

Congrats on the big win, BC. Had a good chunk on Aztecs as well. Would love your thoughts on the Mizzou play when you get time
Number one reason is strength of schedule and the obvious major difference in talent here. Obviously the main question will be is Mizzo motivated to play this game. They have a few players out but their backups aren’t a huge drop off. In general most teams get up to play our armed service teams. Their is pride involved and you want want to show great effort against the armed service men. Army is reasonably predictable with the type of effort you will get. It will always be their best but I’m not sure their best effort will be enough vs athletes all over the field. Tigers should be able to run the ball in big chunks. Army will need some extra possessions and limit Mizzo possessions by keeping their offense on the field to hang around or win this game. Extra time to prep for the triple option never hurt a team. The A gap dive will tell the story early. If the Tigers are holding the dive to 1-2 yards then Army will have trouble. Army will struggle to get consistent perimeter runs on account of the drastic difference in speed. As long as Mizzo doesn’t totally fuck up their defensive scheme vs the triple option their speed advantage will allow them to miss a few assignments and not get burned to bad. I wouldn’t call you crazy for taking the under 1H in this one and there is a good chance I will put something on it myself closer to game time. This isnt the best Army team we have seen in the past few years. Navy exposed that a few weeks ago. Losing the army/Navy game also leaves a pretty big whole in your season going to your bowl game. They have struggled to execute consistently at the high standard they hold themselves to throughout this season. It’s an interesting matchup and I am looking forward to watching the most physical game we will have seen thus far in bowl season. There will be some slobber knockers out there. If your on the fence I can put it much simpler.

To some degree this is a very similar pick to last nights SDST matchup. Better defense, tougher schedule, and they are a dog. Mizzo had 3+ weeks to prep for this game while army has had a week and a half coming off the end of their season loss to Navy

Last edited:
Good points Coach, agree in particular about the overall athleticism but Missouri leaves a lot of doubt in my mind about their ability to stop the run, despite showing some improvement later in the year they were pretty terrible in a lot of games. Also, not sure with the rotation of Mo QB's and lack of experience of Macon and Cook (only have thrown 41 passes between them on the season) that they will be able to take advantage of Army's weak spot on defense which is the back end.

Teams that finish the regular season in the top 10 for rushing yards per game are 50-28 ATS in Bowl games over the last 10 years.
1. USAF.... 2. Army.... 3. No Illinois.... 4. North Texas.... 5. Kent St.... 6. Navy.... 7.Georgia St.... 8. Coastal Car....9. Michigan.... 10. UCLA.
Army is 3-0 in the Armed Forces Bowl, Mizzou is 3-1 vs Army.
The Over might be the play.

Teams that finish the regular season in the top 10 for rushing yards per game are 50-28 ATS in Bowl games over the last 10 years.
1. USAF.... 2. Army.... 3. No Illinois.... 4. North Texas.... 5. Kent St.... 6. Navy.... 7.Georgia St.... 8. Coastal Car....9. Michigan.... 10. UCLA.
Army is 3-0 in the Armed Forces Bowl, Mizzou is 3-1 vs Army.
The Over might be the play.
Coastal, N. Illinois, and Kent’s St would have to agree with your over theory…they all looked like dog shit

Think I’m staying away from the total…enjoy the game fellas. Should have a solid play posted tomorrow morning

Mizzo +3.5 +125 2H (1*)

Actually like this a good bit but don’t wanna mess with a winning hand too much…Game playing out pretty much how I thought so far

Back