Bedard for Adam Jones (and others)?

reNew Orleans

Clubbin' with Rasual Butler
<table class="s_playerNewsTable" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr> <td>
pixel.gif
</td> <td class="s_playerNewsLeftBorder">
pixel.gif
</td><td class="s_playerNewsText">
MLB_Bedard_small.jpg

Adam Jones is flying to Baltimore for a physical on Monday, suggesting the Orioles and Mariners have agreed to an Erik Bedard trade.
Jones said he's been told the deal is done, though he doesn't know who is going with him to Baltimore. Asked by the Seattle Times tonight, George Sherrill said he had heard nothing to suggest he's being included. Top prospects Chris Tillman, Jeff Clement, Carlos Triunfel and Wladimir Balentien are among the players whose names have come up in rumors. Jan. 27 - 7:27 pm et
Source: Seattle Times</td></tr></tbody></table>

tough decision. I cannot say I agree or disagree with the M's. Jones is great and would have been great to hold onto. But our needs are fairly simple in Seattle, if we want to win all we need are starters.

Probably a good deal for both teams, I guess we'll see who else is in the deal first though. Probably a mid-level pitching prospect.

Last edited:
this is going to be a very good rotation for seattle in the coming year. VERY good. Bedard is nasty having to pitch in camden yards...... imagine in the spaciousness of that stadium in seattle. confidence will soar and he wont have to worry about hanging a pitch nearly as much there. i think this is a great trade for seattle.

i say it is a great deal ... from what i know of it so far ... obviously dont know all the facts of the thing yet to be that definitive. but damn ... seattle is going to be a tough team day in day out with that rotation if bedard is in fact an M now.

i say it is a great deal ... from what i know of it so far ... obviously dont know all the facts of the thing yet to be that definitive. but damn ... seattle is going to be a tough team day in day out with that rotation if bedard is in fact an M now.
No doubt the Mariner's get the big boost and if they can keep him long term overall this give sthe M's a nasty one-two punch with King Felix and Bedard. They now have a chance to challege the Angels. For Baltimore getting a player of Jones' capability while rebuliding is huge.

Last edited:
Numerous media reports say that talks between the Mariners and the Orioles about a trade for ace pitcher Erik Bedard are at a standstill. A source familiar with the negotiations told the Baltimore Sun a potential deal is being held up on the Orioles' end and unspecified complex issues still need to be resolved for the trade to go through.

I'll be surprised if Baltimore deals Bedard at this point. He's been in the midst of talks the entire offseason, but the Orioles keep pulling deals off the table before they're done. I heard rumors of a trade with LA for Kemp and or Loney in a combination of prospects for Bedard, but nothing ever came of it.

Fact is, the Orioles have a number of guys like Guthrie and Lowen that could use a guy like Bedard to act as a mentor to the young staff. I'd be very surprised if this deal was anything but a rumor that spun out of control. Baltimore could get much more for Bedard, and this is a trade that really doesn't make sense for Baltimore at all.

If they trade Bedard, something more than Jones will be coming their way.

Angels, Indians now interested in Baltimore's Bedard?

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 6:39 am EST

ept_sports_rumors-736871873-1196255894.jpg
Getty Images

The Seattle Times reported there was new word Tuesday that the Seattle Mariners might not be the only team in the hunt for Baltimore Orioles ace left-handed Erik Bedard. "We continue to talk [with Seattle]," Andy MacPhail, the Orioles' president of baseball operations, told the Baltimore Sun. "We've had some other clubs chime in as well."
The New York Mets, once believed to have interest in Bedard, are no longer a factor, provided they consummate their Johan Santana trade. And the Cincinnati Reds were involved in Bedard talks but have been unwilling to include prized outfield prospect Jay Bruce, a likely deal-breaker. The Angels and Cleveland Indians are teams that could possibly get involved.
Source: Seattle Times
newwin12_1.gif

Angels, Indians now interested in Baltimore's Bedard?

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 6:39 am EST

ept_sports_rumors-736871873-1196255894.jpg
Getty Images

The Seattle Times reported there was new word Tuesday that the Seattle Mariners might not be the only team in the hunt for Baltimore Orioles ace left-handed Erik Bedard. "We continue to talk [with Seattle]," Andy MacPhail, the Orioles' president of baseball operations, told the Baltimore Sun. "We've had some other clubs chime in as well."
The New York Mets, once believed to have interest in Bedard, are no longer a factor, provided they consummate their Johan Santana trade. And the Cincinnati Reds were involved in Bedard talks but have been unwilling to include prized outfield prospect Jay Bruce, a likely deal-breaker. The Angels and Cleveland Indians are teams that could possibly get involved.
Source: Seattle Times
newwin12_1.gif

link? i can't find this mention on the Seattle Times website.

it appears the Times writer merely suggests the Indians on his own, as if he's thinking out loud. the only link would be the Indians' involvement in the Haren trade talks which they lost out on. If the Jones hip rumors are false and Angelos is holding MacPhail back because of their return on Bedard, then there's no way Shapiro would put a deal together to the Orioles' liking.

FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal believes the Orioles may be upset enough about Adam Jones' comments on the deal to call off the Erik Bedard trade or at least seek additional compensation.
Yeah, there's good reason the Orioles remain in the running for the title of worst run organization in baseball. Either the deal is good enough or it isn't. Who cares if Jones admitted 12 hours ahead of time that he was going to Baltimore for a physical? If Peter Angelos kills the deal as is -- it's believed to currently be a five-for-one including Jones, George Sherrill, Chris Tillman, Adam Butler and Kam Mickolio -- the Mariners should simply move on. Rosenthal believes the Orioles may now be holding out for Carlos Triunfel, who should be untouchable. Jan. 29 - 3:27 am et
Source: FOXSports.com

Looks like the O's are trying to put together a deal for Bedard...

From theorioles.com

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=581 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD>Bedard deal remains in limbo
Last-minute attempt by O's to sign ace holding up trade
By Jim Street / MLB.com
</TD><TD align=right><!-- * -->
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<!--sphereit start-->SEATTLE -- A last-minute attempt by the Orioles to sign Erik Bedard to a multiyear contract appears to be the only thing standing in the way of a proposed trade that would send the left-hander to the Seattle Mariners for as many as five players, including 22-year-old outfielder Adam Jones.

Seattle also would send left-handed reliever George Sherrill, right-handed starter Chris Tillman and at least one more Minor League pitcher to the Orioles.
Sources close to the Orioles said Wednesday that club owner Peter Angelos wants to keep the ace pitcher and called Bedard last Sunday night to discuss a five-year contract. Bedard said he might be interested and would talk to his agent, Mark Pieper.
Neither Pieper nor Bedard could be reached for comment on Wednesday.
This isn't the first time a multiyear contract has been discussed. Orioles president of baseball operations Andy MacPhail recently asked Pieper what it would take to sign Bedard long-term and the agent suggested a seven-year, $100 million contract.
MacPhail balked and countered with three years. That suggestion never made it to first base, so he resumed efforts to trade one of the American League's top pitchers.
Apparently after agreeing in principle to the deal, the Orioles heard something about Jones having a potential health problem -- a degenerative hip (osteoarthritis) similar to the ailment that ended Albert Belle's career in 2000, just two years into the five-year, $65 million contract he signed with the Orioles.
The medical report on Jones was unsubstantiated and Mariners trainer Rick Griffin told the Seattle Post-Intelligencer on Tuesday that he couldn't talk about the situation because of HIPPA regulations. General manager Bill Bavasi said: "All I can tell you is that we brought Adam Jones home from Venezuela. Beyond that, we're not saying anything."
Jones, playing for the Lara Cardenales in the Venezuela Winter League, was notified by the Mariners last Saturday to leave Venezuela and fly to Baltimore for a physical. Jones told a newspaper reporter in Venezuela about the phone call and his apparent trade to Baltimore, which infuriated Orioles officials.

Jones supposedly returned to the U.S. on Tuesday, but has not been seen at the Mariners' Spring Training complex in Peoria, Ariz.
While the Mariners would not comment any further on the potential trade, MacPhail said on Wednesday that there has not been any progress or movement with Seattle.
Asked if the trade that sent left-hander Johan Santana from the Twins to the Mets for four Minor League prospects changed the landscape of the proposed Mariners-Orioles deal, MacPhail said, "No, it does not." Jim Street is a reporter for MLB.com. MLB.com reporter Spencer Fordin contributed. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Physical all that stands in the way of Bedard donning a pitchfork uni

Here's the latest info on the Bedard trade. Looks like he's gonna end up in SEA if he passes the physical. O's will get:

The Mariners would send highly touted outfielder Adam Jones, left-handed reliever George Sherrill and Minor League pitchers Chris Tillman, Kam Mickolio and Tony Butler to the Orioles for Bedard, regarded as one of the best left-handers in Major League Baseball.

While I agree that getting young prospects is certainly a move of value in the long run, I think having a guy like Bedard around to provide leadership to a very young Orioles staff with a number of decent arms would have been the better move. Having Jones in the OF does address a big hole for the O's, but I wonder who is going to show these kids how to get it done on the mound. It will be interesting to see how this shakes out....

If you compare what the Mets gave up for Santana, the O's did very well here. A starting center fielder, their closer this year and some prospects....

Back