BCS Projections for Week 12 (via BCSGuru.com)

Florida and Texas need help. I'm 90% sure Florida will get it. I'm 70% sure Texas will get it.

This week's projection which are generally right on:

Thank You, Hawkeyes!

There was rejoicing, from sea to shining sea, when Iowa's Daniel Murray booted a 31-yard field goal to beat Penn State, 24-23. The upset loss ended the Nittany Lions' bid for the BCS championship, as well as the Big Ten's hopes of appearing in the BCS title game for a third straight year.

Penn State's loss paves the way for an SEC-Big 12 title game. The way things are set up now, the winner of the Florida-Alabama SEC championship game should play whomever emerges victorious from the vicious Big 12 South. Texas Tech remains unbeaten, while both Texas and Oklahoma are still alive as each has one loss.

The odd team out continues to be USC. The Trojans may boast perhaps the nation's finest defense in this decade, but they might have to be content playing in the Rose Bowl against Penn State. USC probably will need an upset loss by the Big 12 South winner in the conference title game - or a loss by either Alabama or Florida before they meet in Atlanta for the SEC title.

So who'll be No. 1 this week? It looks like it'll still be Alabama, even if Texas Tech has amassed a more impressive resume at this point. But voters typically are reluctant to replace the top-ranked team without it losing, and since both teams will have similar computer rankings, what the voters want, the voters get.

Of course, who's No. 1 or No. 2 at this point means very little. There are still four weekends left in this college football season, and six teams still have a chance to play for the BCS title. And oh yeah, here's the parting shot: There is definitely a scenario out there for another split national championship. But we'll discuss that a bit later.

The Guru's projected BCS standings for Week 11:

1. Alabama, 2. Texas Tech, 3. Texas, 4. Florida, 5. Oklahoma, 6. Penn State, 7. USC, 8. Utah, 9. Ohio State, 10. Boise State, 11. Oklahoma State, 12. Georgia, 13. Missouri, 14. Michigan State, 15. Brigham Young.

<TABLE class=tborder id=post1151758 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d1d1e1 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #d1d1e1 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #d1d1e1 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d1d1e1 0px solid" width=175>vegaskyle<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_1151758", true); </SCRIPT>

</TD><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_1151758 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d1d1e1 1px solid"><!-- icon and title -->
icon1.gif
Utah should ranked higher than usc
<HR style="COLOR: #d1d1e1; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->Why isn't utah ranked higher than usc in the bcs ??

record for utah is not only better but utah is undefeated.

utah plays in the better conference.

utah defeated the team that defeated usc

If utah goes undefeated for the season playing in the mwc while scheduling AT michigan and vs oregon state out of conference and loses out to a 1 loss pac10 school , it is a complete joke.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

It's a travesty that Texas, OK, or TT isn't going to be in a BCS game while a team from the Big East and the ACC will.

I would love to see a big 12 power like texas go against a great defense like USC....I think it would be more of a intriging matchup.

I would love to see a big 12 power like texas go against a great defense like USC....I think it would be more of a intriging matchup.

If Oregon St wins out, USC won't even be playing in the Rose Bowl. It will be Penn St v. Oregon St again.

USC has a shot at an at-large bid but needs to get into the top 4 for it to be automatic. They have a shot at doing that, depending how far Florida or Bama will fall when they lose in the SEC Championship.

Right now it would be OU on the outside looking in on the BCS. A little extra motivation when they play Tech?

I will be looking to bet USC in their bowl game. I can see Carroll wanting to blow out the opponent to prove a point.

If its a 3 way tie I think OU will jump Texas which is ridiculous. Texas Tech scheduled two Div I-AA schools and a 1-9 SMU team which is killing their SOS so they have to beat OU in Norman next week cause they'll lose the tie-breaker.

If Florida loses again and beats Bama in the SEC title game they should have a TT/TX rematch on a neutral site.

USC does absolutley nothing for me.

If Florida loses again and beats Bama in the SEC title game they should have a TT/TX rematch on a neutral site.

USC does absolutley nothing for me.

I think both Texas squads meeting again could be possible if your scenario above happens, but Florida losing again won't happen until next season ;)

Not looking to start any trouble here, But USC is a great defense? Possibly on paper and maybe on the field. I think we are going to have to see them play a good team AWAY from the Rose Bowl, Then We will see how good they are. Id like to see them in The Fiesta Bowl say against Bama/Fla. JMO Frankie

Last edited:
Just trying to figure out who Bama is gonna play.

likely ohio state in the sugar bowl. penn st not going to national title game takes the rose bowl away from the buckeyes

However the big12 breaks down just 2 teams get bcs games. one will be in championship likely playing florida

So will probably be

usc vs penn st in the rose bowl

big12#2 vs utah in the fiesta bowl

orange acc champ vs big east champ

sugar bama vs tosu

championship game big12#1 vs florida

just my predictions

if tosu wins it out can't be msu reno....if they beat psu, both tosu and msu would have one loss and tosu would go to rose..

so even if msu wns out, they won't go if tosu wins out...the last to the rose bowl rule only works if the head to head ins't available.

if tosu wins it out can't be msu reno....if they beat psu, both tosu and msu would have one loss and tosu would go to rose..

so even if msu wns out, they won't go if tosu wins out...the last to the rose bowl rule only works if the head to head ins't available.

Jump, thats what I thought as well in all honesty. I have read "several" articles today that state otherwise.

I def. agree with you and understand all this but...just from what I read.

Jump, thats what I thought as well in all honesty. I have read "several" articles today that state otherwise.

I def. agree with you and understand all this but...just from what I read.
from Big Ten's website:

Rose Bowl. Unless ranked No. 1 or No. 2 in the final BCS poll, the conference champion shall participate in the Rose Bowl. The championship shall be determined on the percentage basis of conference games (tie games counts ½ win and ½ loss). If there is a tie for the championship, the Rose Bowl representative will be determined as follows:
  1. An ineligible team shall not be considered in the standings for determination of the conference representative.
  2. If there is a tie for the championship, the winner of the game between these two teams shall represent the conference.
  3. If there is still a tie for the championship, or if the tied teams did not play each other, the team that played more games against Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) teams shall be eliminated.
  4. If there is still a tie, or if the tied teams did not play each other, or if both teams played the same number of games against an FCS team(s), the representative shall be determined on the percentage basis of all games played.
  5. If there is still a tie, the most recent team earning BCS automatic selection shall be eliminated.
  6. If more than two teams tie for the championship, the same selection procedures shall be followed with the following exceptions:
    1. If three teams are tied, and if one team defeated both of the other teams, then that team shall be the representative.
    2. If three teams are still tied, and if two of the three teams defeated the third team, the third team is eliminated, and the remaining two teams shall revert to the two-team tie procedure.
    3. If three teams are still tied, and there is a tie game between two of the three teams, or if two or all three of the teams did not play each other, the representative shall be determined on a percentage basis of all games played except, if one or two of the tied teams played more games against an FCS opponent than the other tied teams, then said team or teams shall be eliminated, and the remaining two teams, if applicable, shall revert to the two-team tie procedure.
    4. If three teams are still tied, and one of the three teams is eliminated through the percentage basis of all games played, the remaining two teams shall revert to the two-team tie procedure.
    5. If three teams are still tied, and all three teams have the same winning percentage of all games played, the most recent team representing the conference shall be eliminated, and the two remaining teams shall revert to the two-team tie procedure.

Are we going over all these Rose Bowl possibilities because PSU will be in the MNC game??

Lets see...all we need is...

S. Carolina over Florida
Auburn over Alabama
Florida over Alabama
Oklahoma over Texas Tech
Ok. State over Oklahoma
Missouri over Texas

and then we have USC/Penn State for the National Title...just like it should be!!!

'an_horse'

smokedawg, only thing to change is that if OU beats tech but loses in stillwater then Tech goes to the Big 12 game. not that it changes you needing mizzou to win, but thought i would clarify.

(OU would have 2 losses, tech and UT would only have 1 - Tech goes on the head to head)

Texas beat OU on a neutral field.....bottom line. If they both have 1 L Texas goes.

Check out the ESPN/USA Today poll which has OU rated 1 spot higher than Texas. This is one of the polls they use in the BCS formula. If OU blows out Texas Tech by say 20 pts or more, I think they will jump Texas in the BCS.

Some people will say, "but Texas beat OU straight up on a neutral field!"

Others will retort: "But OU beat the team by 20 that beat Texas".

Lots of ways to see this.

Check out the ESPN/USA Today poll which has OU rated 1 spot higher than Texas. This is one of the polls they use in the BCS formula. If OU blows out Texas Tech by say 20 pts or more, I think they will jump Texas in the BCS.

Some people will say, "but Texas beat OU straight up on a neutral field!"

Others will retort: "But OU beat the team by 20 that beat Texas".

Lots of ways to see this.

I agree, besides the fact that I like the Sooners. They could easily jump Texas if they beat Texas Tech. I dont know if this is fair, because if they beat T. Tech then they have beat the team that beat them. It works both ways like Majent said.

But this is what really grinds my gears. On PTI today Micheal Wilbon that made me almost want to throw some shit through the TV. He said something like Alabama, Texas Tech, Texas and USC are the only ones worth talking about for the national championship. USC!? Are you fucking kidding me. Not only that but he says that USC is the better team because they lost earlier and Texas lost last week. Are you fucking kidding me. I realize that it works that way for the computer, but are people really thinking like that

if there was a playoff, itd be USC/Florida in the final

And Id take USC plus the 4 or so Id be getting, no questions asked

usc is undeserving.

whether they are the best team or not .. they are undeserving of the opportunity based on every reason ever given to leave the utahs and boise states of the world out of national title games.

utah resume > usc resume

Utah......What about Ball State????

That's another example of the BCS gone wrong. Their should be a +1 for these non-BCS teams to see who gets in.

..Ohio State would get killed by Bama. Just another horrible matchup, and not necessarily the conferences but the matchup is killer....Ohio State always gets horrible matchups when they play the SEC.

Penn State would get my money vs. USC. I mean USC is unbeatable in the Rose bowl and with preparation time they are really unbeatable. But Penn State matches up with them better than anyone out there.

Back