BCS Nonsense

Football_Expert

Moderator of FE Island
How can a computer model still have Texas #1?

And two of them have Texas #2.

This is totally set up now where Penn State will get screwed out of the title game.

If Texas can win out, they'll jump them.

If Alabama wins out, they are already over them and if Florida wins out, they jump PSU.

Hell, even Oklahoma with wins over TT and then winning the Big 12 title probably can jump them.

Once again PSU will go undefeated and miss the title game.

Paterno is gonna kill someone.

How can a computer model still have Texas #1?

And two of them have Texas #2.

This is totally set up now where Penn State will get screwed out of the title game.

If Texas can win out, they'll jump them.

If Alabama wins out, they are already over them and if Florida wins out, they jump PSU.

Hell, even Oklahoma with wins over TT and then winning the Big 12 title probably can jump them.

Once again PSU will go undefeated and miss the title game.

Paterno is gonna kill someone.

Strength of Schedule?

You're right on. B10 was just as bad then as it is now. Its a fucked up system...plain and simple.

Needs to be an 8 team playoff, but we'll pry never see it...or not anytime soon.

There is no fucking way a one loss team jumps an undefeated PSU

Just not gonna happen

No matter how much the Big 10 haters want it to...

And if it somehow does happen, remember that it was JoePa who got instant replay into college football...

His lasting legacy could be getting a playoff...

But theres no way its gonna happen

Because Ohio St. likes to schedule non-conference games vs teams like USC and Texas while PSU scheduled non-conference games vs the College of Charleston and Syracuse.

PSU strength of schedule right now is in the 60s. Texas is #6.

I wouldn't worry though. PSU is going to get in if they win their next three games convincingly.

Ummm...it was Coastal Carolina thank you very much

And I love how everyone conveniently forgets that we made the team that BEAT usc look like a high school JV team

Quick thought. If PSU runs the table and its just them and some 1-loss teams, let them go. If there are 3 teams that are undefeated, they are clearly on the outside looking in. However, if the B10 is toasted for the 3rd year in a row, something has to be done. They are ruining college football by placing over matched big 10 squads in the National Championship. At some point, you have to draw the line and going 0-3 with 3 straight blowouts should be the end of it.

Because Ohio St. likes to schedule non-conference games vs teams like USC and Texas while PSU scheduled non-conference games vs the College of Charleston and Syracuse.

PSU strength of schedule right now is in the 60s. Texas is #6.

I wouldn't worry though. PSU is going to get in if they win their next three games convincingly.

They also like to schedule instate teams from lower levels. I haven't seen them schedule Cincy though. Wonder why?

Quick thought. If PSU runs the table and its just them and some 1-loss teams, let them go. If there are 3 teams that are undefeated, they are clearly on the outside looking in. However, if the B10 is toasted for the 3rd year in a row, something has to be done. They are ruining college football by placing over matched big 10 squads in the National Championship. At some point, you have to draw the line and going 0-3 with 3 straight blowouts should be the end of it.

Bullshit. From SI.com's Stewart Mandel:

• Penn State did not lose those games. Ohio State did.
• The Big Ten did not lose those games. Ohio State did.
• Allow me to rephrase your statement for a second: "The past two seasons a Big 12 champion [Oklahoma] lost to a lower-ranked opponent in a BCS game. Please make the case why a lower-ranked foe would not continue that trend this year against No. 1 Texas?"
• Say what you want about Ohio State, but I think we can all agree that Beanie Wells is an elite running back. Any defense that can hold Wells to 55 yards on 22 carries is capable of winning a national championship.
• This year's SEC, if you haven't noticed, is not as indisputably dominant as it has been. The SEC is fourth in Jeff Sagarin's computer ratings, sixth in Jerry Palm's Conference RPI ratings. That doesn't mean Alabama, Florida or Georgia wouldn't beat Penn State, but they're not entitled to some automatic benefit of the doubt, either. Why?
• Because, most important of all, this is a different season.

Bullshit. From SI.com's Stewart Mandel:

* Penn State did not lose those games. Ohio State did.
* The Big Ten did not lose those games. Ohio State did.
* Allow me to rephrase your statement for a second: "The past two seasons a Big 12 champion [Oklahoma] lost to a lower-ranked opponent in a BCS game. Please make the case why a lower-ranked foe would not continue that trend this year against No. 1 Texas?"
* Say what you want about Ohio State, but I think we can all agree that Beanie Wells is an elite running back. Any defense that can hold Wells to 55 yards on 22 carries is capable of winning a national championship.
* This year's SEC, if you haven't noticed, is not as indisputably dominant as it has been. The SEC is fourth in Jeff Sagarin's computer ratings, sixth in Jerry Palm's Conference RPI ratings. That doesn't mean Alabama, Florida or Georgia wouldn't beat Penn State, but they're not entitled to some automatic benefit of the doubt, either. Why?
* Because, most important of all, this is a different season.

I will type up an appropriate response to this when I get home from work, its total bullshit. You show me right now the 3 conferences and the 5 conferences ranked ahead of the SEC according to Sagrin and Palm. That is f'en laughable. I am surprised Mandel even had the balls to print such garbage. I will give you the B12 and that is it.

Penn State DOES NOT control their own destiny right now...they need help (which is likely to happen but winning out doesn't necessarily put them in the title game)

Next week, I will come out with conference ratings and Madel can cite me, least mine would be accurate towards the landscape of college football and not equestrian or some shit.

The Big 12 has also been down the last two years and noone is disputing that. Now that all the QBs are upperclassmen this year its a different story.

booksbestfriend: I believe OSU played Cinci either last yr or the yr before that.

OSU has a bit of a history of only playing Cincy when they are down.

Not saying that of anyone's doing though. Hell, Cincy's president stupidly agreed to play OSU and Oden when Cincy had their worst team in 20 years.

Also the Big 10 is probably the worst I've seen it in a long time. Usually Michigan, tOSU are in the top 5-10, with Wisconsin, Purdue & PSU in the top 15-20.

Not this year.

Im not disputing that PSU is on the outside looking in if theres 3 undefeated teams (thanks, Ohio State) but theres NO FUCKING WAY a one loss team should jump them and play in a title game before them if PSU is undefeated

And by the way, is anyone really sure the Big 12 is that good?

Why? Because everyone says they are?

Can anyone give me ONE good out of conference victory by ANYONE in the Big 12 this year???

Ill give you a little help...

Texas Techs best OOC win is @ Nevada
Texas best OOC is vs. Arkansas
Oklahomas best OOC is vs. TCU
Ok States best OOC is @ Wash St
Missouris best OOC is vs. Illinois
Colorados best OOC is vs. WVU but then lost @ FSU
Kansas lost @ South Florida
Baylor lost vs. Wake Forest
Iowa St lost @ Iowa
K State lost @ Louisville
Nebraska lost vs. Va Tech
A&M lost vs. Miami

So I guess the best OOC win by ANYBODY in the Big 12 is Colorados win vs West Virginia

Congrats guys, real powerhouse conference you got yourselves there...

If Penn State is one of 2 undefeated teams, they will play in the NC game. The BCS formula deducts 1 point for each loss. A one loss team would not jump PSU unless they were ranked 2 full spots ahead of PSU.

So Florida, Okie or Texas would have to jump to # 1 or 2 and have PSU drop to 3 or 4. If there are 3 undefeated teams, PSU is out.

Smoke, I love PSU and hope they make it to the title game buttt the big 12 does deserve more respect than you are giving them. I think Oklahoma's win vs TCU is the best OOC win with Colorado beating wvu a solid win too. Even if the rest of their OOC schedules aren't the best the Big 12 has a legit shot to finish 4 teams in the top 10 and that is pretty damn impressive.

I hear ya, and you may be right...im just saying how do we KNOW without a shadow of a doubt that the Big 12 is all the sudden this great superpower conference?

They havent beaten anyone but themselves...and the next time one of em plays a team with a defense will be the first time...

Completely agree with you, and only the bowl season can settle these arguments. Personally I think Penn States D is for real, like you said containing beanie and pryor in the shoe is impressive, and the offense has been putting up points all season. I think they would be able to give most of the big 12 teams a game.

They may be better. We'll find out in the bowls so long as they play a worthy opponent. But it is impossible, with the BCS formula deducting 1 full point for each loss, for a one loss team to pass an undefeated Big 10 team unless PSU drops to 4th.

Back