Baltimore vs Cleveland Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Two Strong Pitchers Duel in Cleveland at Baltimore Series Opener

Baltimore opens up a four-game series hosting Cleveland tonight at 7:05 ET. The Orioles have had a disastrous start to the season. Is there any source of excitement left in Baltimore?

Cleveland Indians (9-7, 5-11 O/U) at Baltimore Orioles (5-13, 8-10 O/U)

MLB Pick: First Five 'Under'

It is easy to want to bet the 'over' because both lineups are batting nearly .300 against each respective starting pitcher. But bettors need to consider when those statistics were accrued and the degree to which each pitcher has recently developed himself.

Cleveland starter Trevor Bauer (1-1, 2.25 ERA) is not the same pitcher as the one with a career 4.30 ERA. His ERA in the second half of last season was 3.01 whereas it was 5.24 in the first half. Bauer has faced the Orioles once since transforming. In that start, he achieved a 2.84 ERA in 6.1 innings pitched. Compare this performance to when he got shelled in his previous start against Baltimore in 2016, giving up five runs in four innings. In the 2016 catastrophe, he threw his slider 2% of the time. In the 2017 match-up, the reborn Bauer threw his slider 16% of the time. Bauer's change in pitch selection is important because he is throwing his best pitches most frequently. In the 2017 game, Baltimore did not hit his slider a single time.

This year, Bauer his throwing his slider 20% of the time with perpetually lethal results. Opponents are hitting .087 against it so far. Because they have to brace for the slider, they are less able to prey upon his other pitches. Bauer's most frequent pitch is the fastball and the opposing BA against his fastball is down over .100 from last year and he induces more whiffs with it. There is a 12 mph difference between his fastball and slider. So his emphasis on the slider enhances the perceived velocity of his fastball, which makes it difficult for batters to catch up with it. Mechanically, Bauer is dropping the vertical release point of his pitches, which has made his pitches extra difficult to track for right-handed hitters. This year, righties are batting .189 against him, which is important because all of Baltimore's top hitters, except for the slumping Chris Davis, are right-handed.

Baltimore's Dylan Bundy (0-2 1.40 ERA) is extra reliable when fresh, meaning with extra rest and in April. In his career, his April ERA is 1.60. Bundy is dangerous because of the quality of his stuff. This year, he is getting more batters to chase pitches outside the zone and fewer of them are making contact. His stronger numbers this year aren't just an April thing, though, but represent a continuation of his improved success with the slider last year. His July ERA last year was 8.41 while he was having trouble locating his slider, throwing it in the middle quadrant of the strike zone 17% of the time. In August, he did so only 11% of the time while throwing it more frequently. He could more consistently hit the lowest part of the strike zone. When he got rocked by Cleveland in June of 2017, he was not the same pitcher that he was in August. This year, he is continuing to be strong with his slider, throwing it over 25% of the time and inducing an awesome 35% whiff rate with it.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bundy is winless because he has gotten an average of 1.70 runs in his four starts. Lack of run support is a consistent theme for Bundy: the 'under' is 1-6 in his last seven starts with a total set between 7 and 8.5. Overall, the 'under' is 8-1-1 in the teams' last ten meetings and 5-1 in Baltimore home games. Baltimore's bullpen is bottom-ranked and must scare bettors from the full game 'under.'

Again, I try to be contrarian and steer away from the obvious. Two pitchers with very low ERA's most bettors probably gonna go under. But with these two guys I don't think it's a matter of mere current streak I think these guys are improving long-term, plus added matters of form like Baltimore's offensive struggles plus Bundy's career April numbers...and the whole rest of the article lol

I also know I go ‚under‘ a lot. But keep in mind I am requesting to cover games where I like the pitchers.

I don't mind unders w strong pitchers. I think playing overs w gas cans are the ones that can really trip ya up and end up with a unlikely pitchers duel!! Like to find "gas cans" facing overaggrssive lineups, those tend to be decent under plays for me.

I like both these guys, hate playing a total till I see ump which as ya know can be a real pain in the ass to figure out 1st game of series, I don't always wait but really do prefer knowing ump as there some guys I just prefer to shy away from on a under or over!! Agree w premise on these pitchers in better form now, also really all those numbers Balty has vs Bauer is machado being 8 for 12 w 3 hrs and 2 doubles! Other than manny nobody on O's have hit him hard. Far as bundy way too small a sample to worry imo, nobody w more than 6 abs.. good read, might join you if ump and weather favorable. Gl buddy

Dylan Bundy (0-2, 1.40 ERA) will take the mound in the opener for Baltimore. He is winless in four starts but has been the Orioles' most consistent starter. Bundy has allowed only four earned runs in 25 2/3 innings and has 31 strikeouts during that stretch
In his last outing, Bundy allowed three runs (one earned) and seven hits with six strikeouts and two walks in 5 2/3 innings in brutally cold conditions in Boston. Bundy is 2-1 with a 5.06 ERA in three games (two starts) against Cleveland
Trevor Bauer (1-1, 2.25) in the series opener. In his last outing against the Tigers, he allowed two runs and seven hits with seven strikeouts and two walks in seven solid innings April 12 for his first win of the year.

Isnt Kershaw a pretty good ‚over‘ pitcher Dan? I like unders with pitchers not as well known and reverse concept with overs

Back