Baltimore vs Boston Preview Article (Wednesday)

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
How About Some Parlay Action on Baltimore-Boston on ESPN?

The Orioles conclude a three-game home series against Boston on Wednesday at 7:05 ET on ESPN. Big surprise: Boston will win. Let’s parlay that with an „under“ to increase our payout.

Red Sox at Orioles

Wednesday, 7:05 ET (ESPN)

MLB Pick: Parlay Boston ML & „Under“

Boston’s David Price (11-6, 4.17 ERA) is salivating over Wednesday’s opportunity to lower his ERA. He hasn’t finished the season with an ERA over 4.00 since 2009. Price’s key to a successful season is to perform better against the bad lineups to make up for how poor he is against strong lineups. On the one hand, Priice has conceded 12 runs in two starts (4.1 innings) to the mighty Yankees. On the other hand, Price is 3-0 in three starts against teams who rank in bottom five in slugging against lefties. In those three starts, Price allowed four runs in 20 innings. His best start was a complete game gem against Baltimore, which was nearly a shutout, but for a late two-run homer by current LA Dodger Manny Machado. B’more ranks fifth-to-last in slugging against lefties.

The aging southpaw began his career in 2008 with his fastball as his primary pitch. But over the years he’s lost some velocity, forcing him to make adjustments. This year, his four-seam fastball averages one fewer mile per hour than last year, likewise his sinker and change-up. He compensates for his reduced velocity by mixing his pitches more effectively. Price relies on four different pitches with at least 13% frequency, but not one with more than 34% frequency. His favorite is the sinker, which opponents bat .190 against and which he relies on most in all scenarios.

When pitchers want to be more effective against same-handed batters, they lower the vertical release point of their pitches. When his release points were at their lowest, in 2008 and 2013, Price couldn’t be touched by lefties. But he’s releasing his pitches from greater height in 2018, causing him to perform better against righties and lefties. This means that he matches up well with Baltimore’s righty-heavy lineup. Baltimore’s one meaningful lefty, Chris Davis, has a BA lower than some pitchers. Baltimore’s two leaders in BA, Adam Jones and Mark Trumbo, are combined 24-for-109 (.220) against Price. National television hasn’t been kind to the O's. In three ESPN games, they've scored two combined runs.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dylan Bundy (6-9, 4.57 ERA) is the greatest hope to a Baltimore team missing its former best player, slugger Manny Machado. Bundy tends to do well against Boston, yielding an FIP (like ERA, but factors out luck) under 3.00 in three of his four home starts dating to 2017 against Boston. He shut them out over seven or eight innings in two of those starts, including on June 11. Bundy has slumped through his past three starts. He has had two three-start stretches during which he’s surrendered at least three runs in each of those starts. He shut out his next opponent both times. Two of Boston’s three leaders in BA, Mookie Betts and Andrew Benintendi, are, since 2017, 3-for-21 combined against Bundy in Baltimore.

Bundy relies on a fastball-slider combo. Both pitches make up 75% of his arsenal. He usually relies on his fastball in all scenarios, except with two strikes, where he features his slider. To improve the results of his four-seam fastball, he utilizes very similar horizontal and vertical release points between it and his sinker. The four-seamer possesses more vertical movement and less horizontal movement than his sinker. Because both pitches are distinct from each other, batters struggle to adjust their swing when they figure out which pitch approaches them.

Boston’s bullpen advantage will ensure victory. It ranks third in FIP while Baltimore’s ranks 11th-to-last. Overall, Boston has owned Baltimore, winning 10 out of 11 so far. Boston is the most profitable team, yielding +24 units. Baltimore is the least profitable team, yielding -40 units.

Would have required hella mental gymnastics to justify Baltimore. Ever. Especially against Boston. I looked for as many angles as I could to back Baltimore. Previous ESPN games, consecutive starts against a southpaw, etc. I love to be contrarian but yeah just nothing else to say here

Even if he pitches well I’m nervous about the pens. Hate taking full game unders. I almost always lose. Then again if I do well in tennis maybe I won’t cap the mlb and just tail you. Still got that car to buy. In negotiating phase now lol

Even if he pitches well I’m nervous about the pens. Hate taking full game unders. I almost always lose. Then again if I do well in tennis maybe I won’t cap the mlb and just tail you. Still got that car to buy. In negotiating phase now lol

Maybe parlay Boston with Roark fade?

I wonder what the wind will be like in Chicago. Lester promising to regress and Ray on the road. Could see lots of runs there

David Price (11-6, 4.17 ERA) will start for the Red Sox against Baltimore ace Dylan Bundy (6-9, 4.57 ERA) in the Wednesday match-up.
Price is 13-5 with a 2.77 ERA in 26 career starts versus the Orioles. In his only start against Baltimore this season, Price got a complete-game victory, allowing two runs and five hits in a 6-2 win on May 17. The lanky left-hander also has won his last two starts overall this season.
Bundy has struggled lately and the home-run ball has hurt him this season. He has allowed 23 homers in 108 1/3 innings, and that's something the Orioles hope Bundy will improve upon in the final two months
He has a 3-6 record with a 4.24 ERA in 15 career appearances, inclding 11 starts, against Boston. He has started two games against the Red Sox this season, going 0-2 with a 2.29 ERA. Bundy needs to stay away from Boston's power in the series finale or he'll find trouble once more.

It‘s a angle to think of for next time tho, when big chalk loses it‘ll score first in next game when big chalk again. Those guys get angry after being upset

Back