Ball State vs. Penn State Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Ball State vs. Penn State College Football Week 2 Picks and Odds Breakdown

Ball State Cardinals vs. Penn State Nittany Lions
Saturday, September 11, 2021 at 3:30 p.m. ET (FS1) at Beaver Stadium in University Park, Pennsylvania

Evaluating Penn State's Situation

It might seem like an easy decision to fade Penn State on Saturday because the Nittany Lions seem to find themselves in a classic sandwich spot.

It is common for teams to lack motivation when preparing for and playing a low-profile team in between two games against higher-profile teams.

Coming off a big road win at fellow Big Ten competitor Wisconsin, Penn State, it may be said, will have a let-down and will not get up for Ball State, especially with another higher-profile team in Auburn on deck.

One may counter that this year's version of Auburn is not worth looking ahead to. History tells us, in any case, that the validity of this counter is irrelevant and that, in fact, the Nittany Lions are not positioned in a letdown spot, a sandwich spot, or a lookahead spot.

In 2019, for example, Penn State more than tripled the spread at Michigan State despite having played ranked Michigan and having ranked Minnesota on deck.

In 2018, the Nittany Lions crushed Illinois 63-24 even though highly ranked Ohio State was the next opponent.

Under James Franklin, there is no historical basis for fading Penn State in this "sandwich" situation.

Actually, this is a great spot for the Penn State offense. James Franklin is notorious for being a bully when his squad takes on low-level teams.

Under Franklin, Penn State loves to run up the score. In 2019, examples include 79-7 vs. Idaho and 59-0 vs. Maryland.

Despite having long sealed the win against Idaho, for example, Penn State's second-highest quarter was the fourth.

This prolific success against lower-profile teams extends to recent MAC squads. In 2019, the Nittany Lions crushed Buffalo 45-13. In 2018, they rocked Kent State 63-10 after running up the score against Pitt and before running up the score against Illinois.

My claim is that Ball State becomes Penn State's next MAC victim. Based on the history that I've outlined, it makes sense to either bet on Penn State or to bet the "over."

I contend that the situation rather calls for the "over."

Last week, in its win against Wisconsin, Penn State's defense was on the field for an absurd 42 minutes and 51 seconds. Wisconsin ran 96 plays on the PSU defense.

Especially since the Badgers are characteristically a physical Big Ten squad, that length of time and number of plays must cause some damage -- specifically to Nittany Lion defenders -- that is difficult to recover from.

Ball State Offense vs. Penn State Defense

I like the "over" also because Ball State's offense can do enough scoring to jeopardize Penn State's chances of covering the large spread.

The most obvious reason is two-time All-Mac first-teamer at wide receiver Justin Hall,

Hall is versatile because he's dangerous on the ground, for which reason he's well-reputed and experienced also as a running back and and as a kick returner.

He is quick and he'll use that quickness to turn short passes into big gains or to stretch the field vertically.

The primary deep threat on Ball State is actually Yo'Heinz Tyler, who steadily improves in every season while benefitting from the attention that defenses perforce devote to Hall.

These guys have a veteran in Drew Plitt throwing to them. Plitt will have plenty of time to throw behind his experienced, relatively large (by MAC standards) offensive line consisting in longstanding veterans.

This group contends with a Nittany Lion pass rush that sorely misses the injured Adisa Isaac after suffering significant turnover -- including last year's team sack leader Shaka Toney -- in its front seven in the offseason.

Penn State Has Passing Weapons, Too

Last week, Ball State allowed 367 passing yards to FCS school Western Illinois.

This performance would be easy to shrug off if it did not help confirm preexisting concerns surrounding the Cardinal secondary.

These concerns stem from the departure of former All-MAC cornerback Antonio Phillips.

Especially without him, the Cardinals lack the top-level ability in the secondary to contain speedster Jahan Dotson. They lack guys who can make plays or react quickly enough to the ball in the air.

Quarterback Sean Clifford had a huge second half against Wisconsin -- one that totaled over 200 passing yards -- largely because of his ability to find Dotson who repeatedly got behind the Badger secondary.

Quick scores are great for an "over" and, with the chemistry between Clifford and the deep threat Dotson, the PSU pass attack can accomplish plenty of these.

Best Bet: Over 55.5 at -108 with Heritage

havnt really looked at but i did pick penn state in the pick contest cause franklin does like to run it up and he surely thinks his offense needs some work!! you would think if any unit wont be as inspired it probably be the defense who probably still tired!! think the offense owes them a day off!! over makes sense for sure.. it kinda rare many these games make my card but maybe ill try to throw it in a RR or something!!

Big road win even though they let Wisconsin run 90 plays.....Auburn on deck....Ball St has lots returning on offense.....I like the over & Testicle Tech +23

Reactions: KJ
Waiting to see where the number goes but will be on Ball St before kickoff, over is very plausible as well

Waiting to see where the number goes but will be on Ball St before kickoff, over is very plausible as well

think it feels like one those games if dog covers it should fly over. Might go over either way but if I like dog in these I tend to go over more often.

think it feels like one those games if dog covers it should fly over. Might go over either way but if I like dog in these I tend to go over more often.
Great sandwich spot off an upset let alone a cover, just no rush for 22.5-23 right now

Great sandwich spot off an upset let alone a cover, just no rush for 22.5-23 right now

yea but ain’t VC right bout Franklin teams generally not the letdown type? They usually the run it the hell up type aint they? Seems to me the defense the side who could use the break, the offense could use the work so they should be balls to the wall, i know I suck at the phycology part of this but I do think kids get excited when they know they gonna be allowed to open up the offense and put up some big numbers if they can! I don’t think the offensive guys will be thinking bout another team when they can show out for the fans and their new NIL deals, plus get all the bitches after they cover!! Lol

yea but ain’t VC right bout Franklin teams generally not the letdown type? They usually the run it the hell up type aint they? Seems to me the defense the side who could use the break, the offense could use the work so they should be balls to the wall, i know I suck at the phycology part of this but I do think kids get excited when they know they gonna be allowed to open up the offense and put up some big numbers if they can! I don’t think the offensive guys will be thinking bout another team when they can show out for the fans and their new NIL deals, plus get all the bitches after they cover!! Lol
Letdown is only part of it, game at home against Auburn is just as if not more important for me

Make no mistake, no interest laying the number, I did pick them to cover in contest. Over makes most sense to me tho. I think over has to hit if dog covers, over still very well could hit if fav covers: more ways to win in my mind. Never claimed my mind made sense tho!!

Letdown is only part of it, game at home against Auburn is just as if not more important for me

right but I don’t think kids looking ahead if they told they allowed to put up PlayStation numbers this week. Seems like the proof been in the pudding for Franklin in either spot, letdown or lookahead. Defense can half ass and prep for next week but the offense wants a fireworks show, even more so in the new era of NIL!! You can’t sport a Benz if ya don’t have enough followers! Scoring 60 points surely attract some attention!

right but I don’t think kids looking ahead if they told they allowed to put up PlayStation numbers this week. Seems like the proof been in the pudding for Franklin in either spot, letdown or lookahead. Defense can half ass and prep for next week but the offense wants a fireworks show, even more so in the new era of NIL!! You can’t sport a Benz if ya don’t have enough followers! Scoring 60 points surely attract some attention!
Only way I've bet for years, Playstation ain't gonna change that

And I hope Penn St doesn't cover, next week sets up nicely for them if they don't

Only way I've bet for years, Playstation ain't gonna change that

I just don’t understand why you would treat every team the same when I can’t find instances when it has worked against pen st w Franklin?

And I hope Penn St doesn't cover, next week sets up nicely for them if they don't

you totally losing me there. I understand that with a competitive game, I dunno why them covering or not covering a huge spread would matter for next week?

I just don’t understand why you would treat every team the same when I can’t find instances when it has worked against pen st w Franklin?
Lol I don't have a clue about Franklin, how many situations have they won as a dog on the road, played a G5 then followed up with a typically strong P5 team in the past? I'm not looking that up, it's human nature that I bet on

you totally losing me there. I understand that with a competitive game, I dunno why them covering or not covering a huge spread would matter for next week?
This would require me writing a book on my philosophy on college sports betting, simply it's purely situational.

Lol I don't have a clue about Franklin, how many situations have they won as a dog on the road, played a G5 then followed up with a typically strong P5 team in the past? I'm not looking that up, it's human nature that I bet on

I understand what you bet, it just seems his nature and his teams isn’t to have many flat spots looking ahead, they tend to ramp it up from what I’ve seen in those spots. Human nature is natural to be different for some isn’t it?

I understand what you bet, it just seems his nature and his teams isn’t to have many flat spots looking ahead, they tend to ramp it up from what I’ve seen in those spots. Human nature is natural to be different for some isn’t it?
It's not just look ahead, letdown, whatever. The combination is super for the sandwich in NCAA. Not like it covers all the time, it's always a no brainer for me regardless. I'm betting it, it's ok if you disagree.

It's not just look ahead, letdown, whatever. The combination is super for the sandwich in NCAA. Not like it covers all the time, it's always a no brainer for me regardless. I'm betting it, it's ok if you disagree.

i don’t really disagree or Agree, just curious as I rather get better at situational things but speaking of human nature it not in mine at all to do hardly anything as a blanket deal! lol. Leads to lot of questions that don’t matter to you cause I understand you go about them all the same. You def won’t catch me laying that many points hardly ever so not like I’m against.

I for one would love to read a philosophical treatise about human nature by KJ

i think I might have annoyed him a little, lol. Hope not, didn’t mean to. I really would like to get better w situational stuff but just to pick and choose and especially to avoid being on a team in a bad spot. I like to add to the tool box, I don’t use anything as a absolute why I question everything. Lol

I used to always question plays in the bet against unranked favs vs ranked also. Think I got on guys running that thread nerves too :( I don’t mean it, I just wanna know stuff! Even when there isn’t a answer!! Sometimes I think if I talk enough I can find it!!!! Lol

I used to always question plays in the bet against unranked favs vs ranked also. Think I got on guys running that thread nerves too :( I don’t mean it, I just wanna know stuff! Even when there isn’t a answer!! Sometimes I think if I talk enough I can find it!!!! Lol
You are such an extravert lol

i think I might have annoyed him a little, lol. Hope not, didn’t mean to. I really would like to get better w situational stuff but just to pick and choose and especially to avoid being on a team in a bad spot. I like to add to the tool box, I don’t use anything as a absolute why I question everything. Lol
You didn't annoy me lol, I just knew that was going down a path where I wouldn't get the shit done I need to today

You didn't annoy me lol, I just knew that was going down a path where I wouldn't get the shit done I need to today

lol. Right on. You were correct, I get on that path constantly!! Scatterbrained i am! Lmao. Lack of sleep last night I’m having a impossible time staying focused on one thing at time to try and get my card wrapped up!! I been telling myself to look at 2 different specific things for 2 hours and Havnt done either but added to my list! Plus I still only got half my grass cut!!

lol. Right on. You were correct, I get on that path constantly!! Scatterbrained i am! Lmao. Lack of sleep last night I’m having a impossible time staying focused on one thing at time to try and get my card wrapped up!! I been telling myself to look at 2 different specific things for 2 hours and Havnt done either but added to my list! Plus I still only got half my grass cut!!
Still waiting on several FCS lines but gotta run out again

Lesser versions of Ball State has a history of playing power 5 teams tough. This Penn St team might be the best they have faced in their recent span, but this Ball St team their best in recent span as well.

I think I like Over, but will probably also have Ball St

I hate betting both. Too many times end up splitting and eating juice. Gotta like pen st offense to try and get things going this week and they showed last week they can hit the quick strikes. The defense is probably still gassed!! 90 freaking plays by wiscy?!??!? I suppose Franklin could tell the offense to possess the dang ball and give d a break! Doesn’t seem like him tho!

I will probably have over 40 plays tomorrow so potentially splitting plays doesn't scare me.

lol. Fair enough. I had 20+ last week. I don’t see myself getting all that close to that this week, maybe with halftimes. So far I have only bet 4 sides and have 6 totals wrote down. I might get to 20! Lol, no way I sniff 40! You the man!!

Last week I had over 50 on Saturday so I assumed this Saturday it would be less. But I don't know, VC is giving me ideas on totals I hadn't thought of and stuff like that

lol. Fair enough. I had 20+ last week. I don’t see myself getting all that close to that this week, maybe with halftimes. So far I have only bet 4 sides and have 6 totals wrote down. I might get to 20! Lol, no way I sniff 40! You the man!!
All it takes is a Monday with no work this week to actually get me into a fuck ton of bets because of all that extra prep time. Not sure what it means considering most of my plays are made on Sat, guess less stress tomorrow but still have a few that will get played, a full week of this is a long time to be patient though

All it takes is a Monday with no work this week to actually get me into a fuck ton of bets because of all that extra prep time. Not sure what it means considering most of my plays are made on Sat, guess less stress tomorrow but still have a few that will get played, a full week of this is a long time to be patient though

lol. I feel ya! I have such a struggle with whether to play early or not? . I do a decent job catching good numbers when I play at beginning the week (obviously screw up some too), but I’m not sure my win percentage as good on sides I play at 1st of week? totals what I should always play early as the moves on those tend to matter far more often! So of course I’m backwards and typically don’t bet all my totals till Saturday other than the 1-2 I talk bout right away and dont want to risk losing numbers!!

This week so odd cause so few dogs I feel good about, I don’t feel as comfy w favs snd even tho I don’t track real well (bunch of notebooks filled with chicken scratch!) I know my win rate on dogs better than favs over the years, in every dang sport. Baseball is so redic, I can’t hit -150 to -200 favs at much better a clip than small dogs and totals!! That don’t make any damn sense considering what the implied win rate is on those price ranges! I have spent a lot of time trying to figure that out and still baffles me!!!

Back