Ball State vs. Buffalo Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Ball State vs. Buffalo: MAC Championship Game Betting Picks and Game Predictions

Ball State Cardinals vs. Buffalo Bulls
Friday, December 18, 2020 at 7:30 p.m. ET (ESPN) at Ford Field in Detroit, Michigan

Buffalo’s Schedule & Common Opponents

Buffalo is 5-0, but has benefitted from a paper-thin schedule.

In total, Buffalo’s opponents have six victories.

The Bulls faced two 0-6 teams, Northern Illinois and Bowling Green, a one-win team in Akron, and more respectable Miami of Ohio and Kent State squads.

Ball State and Buffalo have had two common opponents: Northern Illinois and Miami of Ohio.

Whereas Buffalo beat Northern Illinois by 19, the Cardinals only beat Northern Illinois by six.

But the score is deceiving for Buffalo. Northern Illinois out-gained Buffalo in total yards.

Moreover, the Huskies controlled this game. They dominated time of possession, accruing 37 minutes to Buffalo’s 22.

What happened was simply that the Huskies gave the game away by committing turnovers.

Miami of Ohio, it is true, beat Ball State but lost to Buffalo.

That loss to Miami of Ohio really isn’t telling, though. Offensively, the Cardinals scored enough (31 points) to win.

Defensively, they lost through the air. They held Miami of Ohio to 3.2 YPC, which is a low average, but could not contain its passing attack.

This result is not telling because Buffalo wants to beat defenses on the ground, not through the air.

Buffalo Offense vs. Ball State Defense

There is no doubt that Buffalo will accrue rushing yards. After all, the Bulls own the fifth-highest run-play percentage in the nation. Only triple-option teams rank ahead of them in this category.

So the question is: how efficiently can the Bulls run the ball?

In terms of run defense, Ball State is actually one of the top MAC teams. It ranks fourth in the conference in opposing rushing yards per game.

For example, Ball State had to face Toledo, which features one of the conference’s top running backs in Bryant Koback.

Against the Cardinals, Koback had by far his worst rushing performance of the season in terms of rushing yards and rushing YPC..

Buffalo’s inability to dominate on the ground will have dire consequences for its rush-heavy offense.

Quarterback Kyle Vantrease is not supposed to do much for Buffalo’s offense.

In each of his past three games, he’s barely completed half of his pass attempts and he’s failed to reach 150 yards passing.

Ball State Offense vs. Buffalo Defense

Defensively, Buffalo surrendered its highest output on the season in its game against Kent State.

Against this Bull defense, Kent State was able to score a lot from the beginning of the end to the game.

In particular, Kent State succeeded through the air with quarterback Dustin Crum.

Drew Plitt, Ball State’s quarterback, can replicate this success.

Plitt ranks among the conference’s leaders in efficiency as he’s completing 66.3 percent of his passes. Plitt also ranks second in the conference in passing yards.

He is a consistently accurate quarterback who will make great use of his wide receivers.

Justin Hall is the team’s top wide receiver. While Plitt’s deep ball may not be as developed as his shorter- and intermediate-yardage passing game, Hall ably accrues a lot of yards after the catch.

With his speed and with the way in which he plays bigger than he is, Hall is a big-play threat. He connected with Plitt for the longest play of Ball State’s season, 66 yards.

He’s also dangerous running the ball as well. He averages a team-high 7.3 YPC.

His explosiveness creates a positive contrast with the multitude of strong and physical Ball State runners, like Tye Evans, who average over four YPC.

Ball State has the personnel to execute a solidly balanced offense especially against a Buffalo run defense that ranks middle-of-the-road nationally.

The Verdict

Overrated Buffalo will want to rely heavily on its running game. But being one-dimensionality won’t be a good thing against one of the conference’s top run defenses.

On offense, expect a balanced Ball State attack that mixes speed with physicality on the ground and that features the accurate Drew Plitt in the passing game.

Best Bet: Cardinals +13.5 at -108 with Heritage

I’ve only made one Mac bet all year.,, didnt go well. Lol. Needless to say I have no idea on this conference. When I saw this line I initially leaned to the points as well but I’ll let you, s—k, Mars, work these out and maybe I’ll follow along!

I’ve only made one Mac bet all year.,, didnt go well. Lol. Needless to say I have no idea on this conference. When I saw this line I initially leaned to the points as well but I’ll let you, s—k, Mars, work these out and maybe I’ll follow along!

I'm pretty sure you're just not supposed to go against Buffalo...and yet here we are lol...

Huntley's absence is probably going to encourage the number to keep rising.

What a douchebag, btw. How do you quit in your team right before its biggest game of the season? Like this is Leonard Fournette selfishness on a whole new level.

i felt like I was reading one of my post here! So proud! Lol

But yeah Mars if you're here or whoever, feel free to take this thread over. I don't think i've made a winning MAC bet all year lol.

Not to make this a baseball thread but Yadi camp sounded insulted by whatever cards offered him. Old fuck should be grateful these cheap assess offered him anything!

I had to laugh out loud when I read "cheap asses" because holy fuck they're cheap. But Yadi has done so much for this franchise. An icon like that deserves unrelenting respect imo!

Not to make this a baseball thread but Yadi camp sounded insulted by whatever cards offered him. Old fuck should be grateful these cheap assess offered him anything!

Bah who cares. I feel like a kid atm, just living it up until the serious people come in and talk business. Not like any decent analysis is interspersed with these tangential ramblings.

I felt like this conference, more than any other, well maybe the B10, looked like absolute trash all season. A poor product due to the 19.

Good luck. I need to look into that Ball run defense a little more to see if it was a product of ability or schedule. They did stifle Toledo... but Toledo this year was hot garbage.

I don't like this pick, but I see what you're saying. This game is on the indoor carpet and I expect both teams to eat on offense. 50-30 type game.
BTW, Buffalo coach would be a great pick up for a Big Ten also ran...won championships at lower level...Illinois could do a lot worse.

I don't like this pick, but I see what you're saying. This game is on the indoor carpet and I expect both teams to eat on offense. 50-30 type game.
BTW, Buffalo coach would be a great pick up for a Big Ten also ran...won championships at lower level...Illinois could do a lot worse.

sounds like a strong over lean?

I tried not to overthink it, so took Buffalo 11.5 at open and over 66.5 when it came out as I think it is a 49-31 type of game.

I can’t tell ya how bad I hate that “overthinking” statement., as if somehow thought is bad! Lol. I understand it and what is really meant by it, I’ve just heard it said so many times by nitwits (not you) it makes me cringe., lol.

Wow. The closest game Buffalo has played on the season was a lowly 19 point win in the opener!?!? Even against crappy teams that still somewhat impressive, last 4 margins:

yea I can’t see myself playing against them! Ball state will be the highest team up the rankings coming in around 80, so that is pretty ugly SOS to say the least!! Of course ball state highest rank opponents been in the 80s while Buffalo is down in the 30s! Life in the MAC I suppose!

so Buffalo runs the ball on 72% their plays yet holds the highest yards per play average in the ncaa? Damn!! Obviously their ypc a ncaa best 7.5 along with a ncaa best 344 per game!! they drop back to throw 17.6x per game and havnt been sacked once!!! They have scored tds on 95.24% their red zone trips, havnt made a fg! Lol. Have they attempted any? 52 points a game!! .81 points per play!! These are some video game numbers, and good ones!! Lol.

Back