Bailey's Bases - April 15

Bailey81

Pretty much a regular
Tuesday: 1-4 (-3.55 units)
YTD: 24-14 (+14.05 units)

I've always gravitated a bit more towards totals, but in the last week, losing 3 unders in the ninth inning stings. Damn. Jeter's 3 run HR last night pushed the Yanks/Rays game over. OK, got that out. Moving on.

New York @ Tampa Bay
Love the matchup here for the Yankees as they can secure a winning road trip before heading back to the Bronx to open their new stadium. I think they build on a nice W last night. Pettitte is 15-4 with a 3.63 ERA lifetime vs the Rays. He's 8-2 with a 3.72 ERA at Tropicana Field in 12 starts. He looked really sharp in his first outing vs KC going 7 innings giving up only 1 run on 3 hits. He still has one of the best pickoff moves ever and that helps negate some of TB's speed on the basepaths. Often overlooked, but I think important. The Yankees got Teixeira back last night and it looks like the wrist is better when he's hitting lefty which he'll be doing today. Swisher's swining a hot bat and should be in the lineup and Jeter had a nice day yesterday. Sonnanstine had a rough first outing for TB, going 4 2/3 giving up 5 runs on 8 hits to Baltimore. He's 2-1 with a 6.08 ERA vs the Yanks. He got hit a bit this Spring as well...1-1 with a 5.28 ERA. The TB offense was shut down last night by Burnett and I think Pettitte will follow a similar game plan. Longoria is only 1-8 vs Pettitte. Yanks didn't have to use Rivera last night and with Burnett going so deep, the 'pen got a much needed rest. This is a pretty cheap price IMO and my first 3 unit play of the year.
Play: Yankees -109 (3 units)

Cleveland @ Kansas City
Can the Royals finish off the sweep today? I'm not sure they can feel too confident with Sidney Ponson on the hill. He gave up 4 runs on 6 hits in 6 innings in his first outing vs the Yankees. In 12 starts vs Cleveland, he's 0-7 with a 9.15 ERA. That's not very promising. The Indians offense hasn't been capitalizing on its chances - leaving 16 runners on base last night, and 12 the night before. I think they'll get a few of those key hits today vs Ponson. Last night the KC offense finally showed some life. DeJesus, Butler, and Jackson each had 2 hits. KC has certainly been struggling to score. But today they face Aaron Laffey, who Cleveland had to call up from AAA. Laffey's spring saw him go 1-2 with a 6.92 ERA, good enough to leave him off the big league roster. Last year with the Indians, Laffey was 5-7 with a 4.23 ERA. I think both offenses get on track today and we see plenty of runs from both sides. Expect an inspired effort from Cleveland today vs a mediocre pitcher as they try to avoid the sweep.
Play: Indians/Royals Over 9.5 -105 (2 units)

I've got a few more coming later. Hoping to turn things back in the right direction.

GLA.

GL Bails,I like that total but it looks pretty windy in Kansas,I cant figure out which way its blowing nor know if it means anything there.
I`ll probably join you on that

GL Pal

Thanks guys. Got a busy day today, so I figured I'd finalize everything now.

Philadelphia @ Washington
Going over 10 here in DC today as we have two pitchers who can give it up. Blanton only lasted 4 innings, giving up 7 runs on 9 hits vs Atlanta, while Shairon Martis only went 3 innings before a rain delay stopped his evening. But he had already given up 3 runs on 5 hits in 3 innings. Washington pitchers are allowing the opposition to hit .321 so far this year and they have a team ERA of 7.71. The Phils bats have come to life recently, scoring 9, 7, and 8 runs in their last 3 games. The big lefties will feast on RHP Martis today. The Nats are averaging just over 4 runs/game and will get to Blanton tonight. Looking at like an 8-6, 9-8 type of game.
Play: Phillies/Nationals Over 10 even (2 units)

Florida @ Atlanta
Riding some streaks tonight and the Marlins are one of them. This team is playing great ball this year and despite facing a tough pitching matchup vs Lowe tonight I like the Fish. Florida's offense is doing what it needs to get the W. Bonifacio is on a tear, hitting .485 so far, and he added two more hits last night. Uggla had 3 RBIs and 2 hits and John Baker had two hits as well last night. The Marlins have had some individual success vs Lowe...,Hermida is 4-12 (.333), Ramirez is 8-14 (.571). The Braves offense was slowed yesterday, managing only 4 hits. Andrew Miller gets the start today for the Fish. Lifetime he's 2-0 vs Atlanta. Miller's spring wasn't great, but I just think this is great value for a team that's playing very well right now.
Play: Marlins +160 (2 units)

Los Angeles of Anaheim @ Seattle
Another hot streak here as the M's have won 5 in a row. They send out Washburn today to follow up his 8 innings of shutout ball in his first outing. He faces the Angels who are off to their worst start since 03. They're an emotional mess right now with what has happend and the brawl, suspensions, etc. Weaver will be leaving this game to fly to MD for Nick Adenhart's funeral with a few other players. Can't imagine his head is in the right place. He's 6-2 with a 5.07 ERA in 11 starts vs Seattle, but 4-1 in his last 6. The Seattle pitching staff has been excellent so far, allowing only a .210 batting average against. They got a nice win in extras last night thanks to a throwing error by the Angels. Those are the type of wins that keep the streaks/momentum going in the right direction. Expect another M's W tonight.
Play: Seattle +118 (2 units)

Boston @ Oakland
The Sox have lost 6 of their last 7 and had their bullpen throw 10 innings last night after Dice-K got rocked early. This hasn't been a good West Coast trip at all and on get away day, I don't expect a real inspired effort from Boston. I think they'll be happy to get on a plane and head back to Boston. Tim Wakefield gets the start. He walked 5 and gave up 3 runs in 6 innings in his first start. He's really struggled out West. He's lost his last 7 straight road game vs AL West with a 7.51 ERA. He hasn't won in Oakland since '99. Oakland has won 2 in a row and throws another rookie LHP at the Sox today. Brian Anderson comes off a great Spring - 3-1 with a 2.83 ERA and a 15:6 K:BB ratio. He faces a Boston offense that is just lost so far. The teams is hitting .237 and they have 5 regulars hitting below .222, including JD Drew, Ellsbury, Pedroia, Varitek, Ortiz and Lowell. The Oakland offense is starting to put things together, scoring 14 runs in their last 2 games. I think Boston's offense struggles again and we see a nice series sweep for Oakland.
Play: A's -105 (2 units)

GLA.

Not a great start to the day as somehow KC/Cleveland game stayed under despite a ton of runners on base. And if not for a stupid baserunning error by Sizemore in the top of the ninth, I think we would've gotten to the 10 we need. One more game tonight.

San Francisco @ Los Angeles
Cain vs. Kershaw. 3-1 ballgame I think. Kershaw gave up 1R on 2H in 5 innings with 5 K's. The Dodger pitching staff is allowing only a .192 batting average against. San Francisco is struggling to score recently after starting out OK. They've lost 4 in a row and have only scored 8 runs in those 4 games, and are hitting .211 during those 4 games. Cain throws for SF and he's got a 2.79 ERA vs the Dodgers in 3 starts in 08. He only gave up 2 runs in 18 2/3 innings last year at Dodgers stadium and didn't get any runs in support. His first outing he went 7 innings and allowed 1 R on 4 H. Expect a nice pitchers duel out West tonight.
Play: Giants/Dodgers Under 7.5 -115 (2 units)

GLA.

OK, I lied. I was looking at this early today and I briefly discussed it with ManU in the in-game earlier and decided to pull the trigger.

San Diego @ New York
The Mets send O Perez to the mound. His numbers from the Spring - 14 innings, 16 walks, 3 HRs and an ERA of 4.5. He was supposed to throw 2 innings at Citi Field in the exhibition but got pulled after only 2 outs b/c he walked 4, and gave up 6 runs. In his first start vs Cincy he allowed 8 runs, 5 hits, and 5 walks in 4 1/3 innings. He's 0-2 lifetime vs the Padres and has allowed 11 runs, 19 hits, and 7 walks in only 12 1/3 innings. The Padres are playing well and should continue tonight against Perez. The Mets face Correia who is 0-2 vs the Mets in 7 appearances (6 relief). He allowed 3 runs in 6 inning to the Dodgers. Wright is 5-6 with 2 HRs vs Correia. I expect a much more inspired effort from the Mets tonight after the day off yesterday and a chance to relax after the road trip and the home opener. All this talk about Citi as a pitcher's park...well you need good pitching and I don't think we have that tonight.
Play: Padres/Mets Over 9.5 even (2 units)

GL.

Stupid added plays killed me today. Missed the over in the Mets game by a 1/2 run and what looked like a nice pitcher's duel has turned into a late inning hit/run fest in LA. Damn. M's looked great. Yanks got a nice, solid win. And the Fish are the real deal. Couldn't have predicted Wakefield's dominance. And O. Perez was on tonight...weird. Rained out in Washington...no action.

Today: 3-4 (+0.06 units)
YTD: 27-18 (+14.11 units)

Back