Back Yankees vs Boston Game 4 Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Yankees Will Leave Sox Bleeding Red in ALDS Game Four on Tuesday

The Yankees host the Red Sox on Tuesday at 8:07 ET on TBS. The Yankees are primed to show that it doesn’t matter which team had the better regular season record.

Game 4: Boston at New York Yankees

Tuesday, 8:07 ET (TBS)

MLB Pick: Yankees

New York’s C.C. Sabathia (9-7, 3.65 ERA) concluded the regular season with superb form, yielding an FIP (like ERA, but factors out luck) under 3.00 in eight of his last nine outings. Sabathia is ready to translate his regular season form into strong postseason outings because of his experience. He’s endured 126.1 postseason innings, yielding a 4.20 ERA. His postseason ERA is high because he struggled several years ago. But in 2017, his postseason ERA was 2.37 in four starts.

The veteran southpaw Sabathia doesn’t have the velocity that he used to. Instead, he’s crowned himself the king of soft contact. He relies on a cutter-slider combo. Both pitches comprise 73 percent of his arsenal. His cutter mixes moderate dip with slight glove-side movement. HIs slider is pure, meaning that it basically lacks vertical movement, so that batters struggle to track its movement. Instead, it boasts strong glove-side motion that makes it elusive. Sabathia is great at inducing soft contact because he combines the movement of his pitches with good location. His five most frequent pitch locations are on the furthest-left (from his perspective) or lowest border of the zone. The movement of his two favorite pitches, for example, allows him to toy with the batter’s perception of whether the pitch will land for a strike or ball. As a result, the batter often swings at a pitch that he shouldn’t have and thereby creates soft contact for an out. The batter is further deceived by the fact that Sabathia makes the vertical and horizontal release points of his pitches similar to each other, thereby masking which pitch is leaving his hand, so that the batter struggles to adjust his swing to the unique movement and good location of the pitch.

Boston batters managed only one run in seven innings when they last saw him on June 29 in the Bronx. The lineup often flies or dies with top slugger J.D. Martinez. But he’s 2-for-14 against Sabathia. Boston has been an immensely profitable team this year. But against lefties they merely yield +1.1 units, compared to +30.5 against righties.

The Yankees’ elite bullpen has conceded one run in 10 innings in this series so far. It boasts the fourth-best bullpen with an ERA .34 lower than Boston’s. Watch for Chad Green, David Robertson, and Aroldis Chapman who have combined for six shutout innings. The dominance of Green and Chapman should come as no surprise given their strong finish to the regular season.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="de"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Don&#39;t be afraid to get loud. The Judge will allow it. <a href="https://t.co/WUcwX6YzF8">pic.twitter.com/WUcwX6YzF8</a></p>&mdash; New York Yankees (@Yankees) <a href=" ">7. Oktober 2018</a></blockquote>

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Boston starter Rick Porcello has cultivated awesome numbers against the Yanks this season, but they couldn’t be more misleading. He does well against them at home, but is awful in Yankee Stadium. He only faced New York once in the Bronx and conceded five runs in 5.1 innings. In seven career starts in the Bronx, he’s 1-4 with a 5.56 ERA. Porcello can’t handle the pressure of postseason, either. In 25.1 career postseason innings, his ERA is 5.33. He’s lasted more than three innings three times and conceded at least four runs in two of those starts.

Yankee hitters carry the advantage against both Porcello and Boston’s bullpen. Miguel Andujar and Aaron Judge slug at least .500 against Porcello. Judge is destroying every Boston pitcher, anyways, producing an insane .583 BA and 1.417 slugging. Brett Gardner also bats .293 against Porcello. The Yankees took two out of three in all three regular season home series.

Again, forced to back the Yankees. So please don't kill me for homerism, i'm definitely not a Yankees fan lol

Tell your editor he's a pathetic piece of shit and to come up with all the angles for you since he is looking for these bogus articles. It's disgusting as a writer to have to be dictated what to say.

Tell your editor he's a pathetic piece of shit and to come up with all the angles for you since he is looking for these bogus articles. It's disgusting as a writer to have to be dictated what to say.

This has become a job under this editor‘s reign cause i‘m stuck with baseball when I really want football. I‘m in no position to tell him off lol I mean you can‘t be serious about that? I suppose he’s just trying to do his job like I am, but yea i‘m sympathetic to your point. I obviously only tell you guys that I had to choose a side. At least I preserve sovereignty with my football picks

Last edited:
CC had to save the yanks last year in a similar situation in ALDS right?

CC probably more reliable here than Rick. Tends to handle the big situations better. He will go 5 at most as Booshman will have a quick hook tonight and CC prone to lineups 3rd time through and Sox good after seeing a couple at bats. Porcello could pitch well but he’s more lucky than good and yank lineup gonna be tough for him to hold down. RL with either side best value as these two rarely play 1 run games.

I really like the Yanks here at this price. I think there is more EV in laying a -1 or -1.5 though given the variance of these postseason games if you play it especially with Boston being able to rest on a game 5 at home.

I'm on the Yankees tonight. This is too big of a rivalry, and if you are a bit of a conspiracy theorist have to think network and MLB want this to go the full series to cash in on these huge media markets and teams ability to generate $$$. Sabathia in a big spot, and I think he has the correct experience, mindset, etc to give 4 to 5 strong innings to then turn it over to biggest advantage Yankees have in matchup (their bullpen). I think at worst game is close at that juncture. Yankees got stomped yesterday, backs against wall and they have been great at home all year. Have to think they get a "W" tonight.

I'm a conspiracy theorist but also paranoid to think that sometimes the powers that be prevent a deciding game once in a while just to shed doubt on the conspiracy theorists lol

CC probably more reliable here than Rick. Tends to handle the big situations better. He will go 5 at most as Booshman will have a quick hook tonight and CC prone to lineups 3rd time through and Sox good after seeing a couple at bats. Porcello could pitch well but he’s more lucky than good and yank lineup gonna be tough for him to hold down. RL with either side best value as these two rarely play 1 run games.

I really wanted to play the yanks rl cause that number was incredibly appealing but at end of day I’m betting too much on yanks to get beat if they win by one, at -126 decided couldn’t stomach it if they do happen to win by 1.. I do agree tho!

I'm a conspiracy theorist but also paranoid to think that sometimes the powers that be prevent a deciding game once in a while just to shed doubt on the conspiracy theorists lol

No chance they would do anything to prevent a yanks/Sox gm 5. Think this a great game if you a conspiracy guy. I don’t subscribe to this theory but if there ever was a game you would think this be one.

Why wouldnt MLB want a gm 5 in Beantown when all the other series have ended. Throw in whose behind the dish tonight. Perfect candidate to call a ball three feet outside a strike for CC. Ran CCs number with Angel and theyre not bad at all. One start this year against clev 7 ip 1 er

He talks to shit to Angel alot but there cool... i think CC gets knocked around and boston advances. They wanna clinch in NY. Gad dam right they do

CC good with Angel historically and I think the Yanks may feast on Rick’s slower speeds. I like the Yankees, and also like them at 12-1 currently to win the WS.

CC good with Angel historically and I think the Yanks may feast on Rick’s slower speeds. I like the Yankees, and also like them at 12-1 currently to win the WS.

I just threw 50 bucks on them to win ws myself..not sure I like them but seemed like really good value. Now just need it to be yanks/milw ws and I’m in there! lol

Only thing that scares me off the over is game following a blowout more often than not stays under. No stats on this just observed over many seasons

For me that's the only thing I'll be on. These 2 offenses can explode at anytime. Which makes picking a moneyline or run line difficult as hell.

I went pretty big (for me anyways) on yanks. Agree anything can happen but I just don’t see them going out at home tonight and like they got beat down yesterday. At least I got better of line!

Back