Back End Of Snake Draft Question

Gorgolon Lives

The Reverend of CTG
I pick #1 in a 10-team keeper league. No PPR, We start QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, FLEX, and NO TE!

I'm keeping Ryan Grant and drafting Westbrook at #1, so that gives me 2 quality RB's. Now my question is what to do on the way back at the end of the 2nd round (pick 20) and the beginning of the 3rd round (pick 21)?

I've done some mocks, and right now I have 2 options:

#1. I could take 2 stud WR's: DEFINITELY some combination of <link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CKevin%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->Braylon Edwards,<o> </o>Marques Colston, Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald<o></o>, and Steve Smith. But that would leave me with a shaky Flex player (who is always a RB for me). More than likely one of the rookie backs or someone like Julius Jones, Fred Taylor, or Ahmen Green.

OR

#2. I could go RB-WR. I could take one of the big WR's mentioned above and also a solid Flex RB like <link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CKevin%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->Ronnie Brown, Michael Turner, Reggie Bush<o></o>, Lendale White, Thomas Jones, Edge James, Rudi Johnson, or Earnest Graham. But that would leave me with a shaky #2 WR like Chambers, Galloway, Berrian, or Curtis.<o></o>

I think you let what happens in front dictate. Start the run on something. If you go WR/WR a lot of the teams coming back to you may be doing the same thing and one of the RB may fall?

not really, its just that RBs aren't what they used to be with 2 back systems. now if you don't have a high 2nd round pick, WRs and QBs (2 or 3) are as valuable as a shared carry RB

More pass happy offenses + 2 back systems make WRs and QBs the new RBs. makes sense to me

They may have the same value but I'd rather take more of a sure thing than having to deal with 2 back systems, worrying who gets the TDs, etc. Plus I play in a PPR league so thats why I think that.

I really think I'm leaning on taking the 2 WR's!

I got 12 WR's listed as solid #1 candidates:

<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CKevin%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} h1 {mso-style-next:Normal; margin-top:12.0pt; margin-right:0in; margin-bottom:3.0pt; margin-left:0in; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; page-break-after:avoid; mso-outline-level:1; font-size:16.0pt; font-family:Arial; mso-font-kerning:16.0pt;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> 1. Randy Moss<o></o>
2. Owens <o></o>
3. Wayne<o></o>
4. Edwards<o></o>
<o></o>
5. An Johnson <o></o>
6. Colston<o></o>
7. Fitzgerald<o></o>
8. Steve Smith<o></o>
<o></o>
9. TJ Hous<o></o>
10. Ch Johnson <o></o>
11. Burress<o></o>
12. Tory Holt<o></o>
12. Marshall

You can argue on the order, but you can't deny all of these should put up #1 quality stats barring injury.

Right behind these guys, there's a group of VERY solid #2 WR's:

<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CKevin%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> 13. Welker<o></o>
14. Holmes<o></o>
15. Boldin

I'd like to grab one of these guys on the way back in the 4th round, but the wait is just too long.

After this 2nd grouping, too many questionable WR's are listed including:

Roy Williams
Greg Jennings
Dwayne Bowe
Rod White
Harrsion

So, basically which team is better (hypothetical):

A.
Hasselbeck
Westbrook
Grant
Rudi Johnson
Larry Fitzgerald
Roddy White

B.
Hasselbeck
Westbrook
Grant
Matt Forte
Andre Johnson
Larry Fitzgerald

I like b,

but depending on how atl o-line hangs on Roddy is anm option. But if finneran, douglas, and Jenkins play their part, then Roddy will have less of an impact imo....Plus the falcons plan to run, run, run.......I think rudi johnson is as much of a risk as forte, and atleast forte gets the rz carries.

I like b,

but depending on how atl o-line hangs on Roddy is anm option. But if finneran, douglas, and Jenkins play their part, then Roddy will have less of an impact imo....Plus the falcons plan to run, run, run.......I think rudi johnson is as much of a risk as forte, and atleast forte gets the rz carries.

Yea, Im just doing hypothetical player situations here.

Most of these RB's will be available for me at pick 20 and 21:

<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CKevin%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> 21. Ru Johnson <o></o>
22. Edge James<o></o>
23. Lendale White <o></o>
24. Tom Jones <o></o>
25. Ron Brown

If I wait, SOME of these RB's will be available for me at pick 40 and 41:

<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CKevin%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> 26. Stewart <o></o>
27. McFadden<o></o>
28. Kev Smith<o></o>
29. Fred Taylor <o></o>
30. Julius Jones<o></o>
31. Matt Forte<o></o>
32. Sel Young

The second grouping has more potential, but both groupings have question marks anyway. If I grab 2 elite WR's, I know what I'm getting and I won't need to worry about playing match-ups with 2 studs.
<o>
</o>

I think you let what happens in front dictate. Start the run on something. If you go WR/WR a lot of the teams coming back to you may be doing the same thing and one of the RB may fall?

That's a good point. I'm gonna run a little mock draft and see what happens. My problem is the distance between my picks. I have to wait another 18 picks, so even if a run happens, RB's will still go.

More pass happy offenses + 2 back systems make WRs and QBs the new RBs. makes sense to me

They may have the same value but I'd rather take more of a sure thing than having to deal with 2 back systems, worrying who gets the TDs, etc. Plus I play in a PPR league so thats why I think that.

It depends on the player. After maybe the top-15 WR's, the same question marks exist that do for the RB's.

Those RBs you project to have available are kinda shitty. I'd rather have a great WR than a shitty RB.

Not to mention, if we assume you are good enough to make the playoffs, is there anyone who honestly thinks Rudi Johnson is a better option there than Matt Forte, draft position be damned?

The other thing is that I've been doing some of those ESPN mock drafts, and this is the first year where I've projected some WR as my starting flex guys. Theres a bunch of top WR that you listed (although i'd knock Marshall down), and too many RB are splitting carries.

I've been getting steady WR like Santonio Holmes as my flex, and then swinging on a couple rooks RB late in hopes that one of them hits and can replace Holmes, but if not, no big deal.

It's just too hard in a competitive league nowadays to get 3 top tier RB...and IMO if you aren't getting top tier, why bother?

The other thing is that I've been doing some of those ESPN mock drafts, and this is the first year where I've projected some WR as my starting flex guys. Theres a bunch of top WR that you listed (although i'd knock Marshall down), and too many RB are splitting carries.

I've been getting steady WR like Santonio Holmes as my flex, and then swinging on a couple rooks RB late in hopes that one of them hits and can replace Holmes, but if not, no big deal.

It's just too hard in a competitive league nowadays to get 3 top tier RB...and IMO if you aren't getting top tier, why bother?

:shake: I agree, we are going to have another competitive leauge this year.

This is a good point. I'm seeing Tony Gates falling in some mocks. And since we don't use a TE position, TE's count as WR. I wouldn't mind having Gates or Whitten at the flex. I'm seeing Gates ADP around 50 this year.

Back