Back Boston vs Houston Game 2 Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
The Astros Are Coming! The Astros Are Coming! Boston Is Ready to Take Game 2 of ALCS

Boston hosts Houston on Sunday at 7:09 ET on TBS. The media is trying to steer you away from betting on Boston pitcher David Price. Don’t fall for it.

Game 2: Houston at Boston

Sunday, 7:09 ET (TBS)

MLB Pick: Red Sox ML

There’s a lot of media clamor about Boston pitcher David Price (16-7, 3.58 ERA). After a couple bad starts to end the season and a rough outing against the Yankees, we’re supposed to believe that the Apocalypse has arrived for Price. When considering to put a pitcher on fade alert, I need more than just a couple bad outings. I looked at Price’s velocity, pitch movement, and horizontal and vertical release points, and it’s apparent that he isn’t suffering from injury or mechanical difficulties. Everything is normal with him, he’s simply experiencing a rough patch. It’s hard to penalize him for two tough outings against a Yankees squad that typically hits him hard anyways and a mediocre one against a Baltimore team that he even got the win against. Houston provides an excellent opportunity for Price to bounce back because Price is familiar with Houston’s lineup and has garnered consistent success against it. In two regular season starts against Houston, Price achieved a 17:2 strikeout-to-walk ratio. Price’s FIP (like ERA, but factors out luck) was 0.95 in the start in Boston and 3.49 in Houston. In the start in Boston, Price allowed a hard contact and line drive rate beneath his season average. That start was in September, only five weeks ago. Nothing has changed with Price since then.

The betting numbers and stats are all for Price today. He yields +12.3 units. Boston is 13-4 in his home starts, yielding +8 units, and is 11-3 in his last 14 starts. Two of those losses came against the Yanks. In 189 career at-bats, Houston hitters are batting .233 against him. Top hitter Jose Altuve has only one extra-base hit against him in 26 tries. Carlos Correa, George Springer, and Marwin Gonzalez are combined 10-for-51 (.196) against him. The Astros do poorly against southpaws, yielding -7.1 units against them. Based on the metric xSLG-SLG, which compares what a lineup’s slugging rate is with what it should be based on quality of contact, Houston is the seventh-most overachieving team against Price’s favorite pitches, the sinker, cutter, and change-up, from lefties, and so is due for statistical regression.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Boston batters are up for the challenge presented by Houston starting pitcher Gerrit Cole. In four games against the Yanks in the ALDS, Boston batters produced 27 runs—nearly seven per game. Cole has allowed three homers to Boston in two starts, so Boston will get its share of runs against him. Houston’s bullpen is formidable on paper, but its relievers actually have a terrible history against Boston’s elite lineup. Ryan Pressly, for instance, has allowed three runs in 1.1 innings. Another important member of Houston’s bullpen, Collin McHugh, allowed two runs in 2.1 innings. The list goes on. In at least five at-bats, Boston has eight guys who are batting at least .280 in the postseason. A number of them—even besides the obvious candidates, superstars Mookie Betts and J.D. Martinez— have accrued solid numbers against Houston pitching. Andrew Benintendi, for instance, is slugging .567 against the Astros. Xander Bogaerts is slugging .778 against them.

The Red Sox bullpen is top-10 in terms of ERA and will hold down the fort after Price and the lineup procure the lead. Craig Kimbrel, for instance, is widely viewed as an elite closer.

Being forced to back a side is retarded. It's obvious where I had real issues supporting Boston--Cole and Boston's bullpen. Don't really believe in Price, either lol. So yeah, definitely don't tail this one

It’s beyond ignorant imo, makes this so disingenuous I can’t believe they stoop to that level. No respect for that place knowing they do this. I’ve never liked those articles anyways (been years since I read one), I guess now I know why!! Don’t take that as a crack at you, ya know I enjoy your write ups, much more so when it a game you actually like!!

I was thinking how the heck you already know who you like gm 2 before gm 1 played? I have the answer now, lol. Apparently they just tell their writers who they like then have conflicting articles for each game?

It’s beyond ignorant imo, makes this so disingenuous I can’t believe they stoop to that level. No respect for that place knowing they do this. I’ve never liked those articles anyways (been years since I read one), I guess now I know why!!

I was thinking how the heck you already know who you like gm 2 before gm 1 played? I have the answer now, lol. Apparently they just tell their writers who they like then have conflicting articles for each game?

I agree man it‘s dumb. It‘s a concoction of the new editor. He doesn‘t seem to see it as disingenuous and I mean game 2 is already published so not like he‘s hiding what he‘s doing. He‘s just trying to get as many reads for the business side of things.

Yea i mean that‘s how it is for baseball playoffs. This was never a thing before. Baseball has two guys covering it and editor said he wants a perspective on each game. I hate it too, this has become a job for me but I just take orders and do what I do

Last edited:
I dont read the articles either lol. Not my style anyways, my kinda articles have some x‘s and o‘s and meaningful stats (no trends!)

I agree man it‘s dumb. It‘s a concoction of the new editor. He doesn‘t seem to see it as disingenuous and I mean game 2 is already published so not like he‘s hiding what he‘s doing. He‘s just trying to get as many reads for the business side of things.

Yea i mean that‘s how it is for baseball playoffs. This was never a thing before. Baseball has two guys covering it and editor said he wants a perspective on each game. I hate it too, this has become a job for me but I just take orders and do what I do

Unfortunately that life i suppose. I have to do some things I absolutely disagree w at my job as well. Stupid bills! Lol

Can’t fault you for doing what you’re asked to do, as they are paying you. Mad respect that you’re open and honest about it tho and not trying to be dishonest about it to the forum peeps.

Thanks broski. Yea sorry i know if i suggested to my boss that he just lets both me and my colleague be honest about what we think so we can write better articles and be real he‘d shoot my idea down or be like „i don‘t have to assign you any articles you know“ lol

I mean I understand fully what he is doing. His job is to provide angles and information and I’m sure he wants to provide subscribers w as much info as possible from all sides, but still at the end of the day to have to say “I like so and so” when you really don’t sucks lol

Not to mention having to wait for fucking craig counsell to announce who‘s pitching is a major headache. Gotta drop what i‘m doing during the day to pretend to back a team lol.

Back