• PICK CLUB WEEK #1 LINES ARE POSTED!

B16 Bowl Discussion...

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
Hey all,

I figured that the time had come to start diving into the bowl season for the conference. These won't be the prettiest of games, but hopefully we can find an edge or two somewhere along the line. We won't include the national semifinal in here, as we have an open thread on that game + Hunt and myself will have our own thread up in the next week to 10 days.

KEYS TO OUR CAPPING

• Opt-outs
  • Portal Losses
  • Injuries
  • Suspension
  • Motivation
  • Weather

So, as of midnight on December 13th these are our numbers.

We can all start tracking opt-outs/etc. Don't be shy. I will start getting some links in here over the course of this week.

December 23, 7:30 Eastern
Las Vegas, NV

Northwestern vs Utah
Utah -7 and 41.5

December 26th, 2:00 Eastern
Detroit, MI

Minnesota vs Bowling Green
Minnesota -4 and 38

December 28th, 2:00 Eastern
New York, NY

Rutgers vs Miami Fl
Miami -1 and 41

December 29th, 8:00 Eastern
Arlington, TX

Ohio State vs Missouri
Missouri -2.5 and 48.5

December 30th, 12:00 Eastern
Atlanta, GA

Penn State vs Ole Miss
Penn St -4 and 48.5

December 30th, 2:00 Eastern
Nashville, TN

Maryland vs Auburn
Auburn -2.5 and 50

January 1st, 12:00 Eastern
Tampa Bay, FL

Wisconsin vs LSU
LSU -10.5 and 55.5

January 1st, 1:00 Eastern
Orlando, FL

Iowa vs Tennessee

Tennessee -8 and 36.5

We're 10 days away from the first B16 Bowl Game -- DISCUSS!

I don't see a path to where I'm comfortable laying points with Minnesota

Minnesota has won 6 straight bowl games, dating back 2015

Before this streak. they had lost 7 straight dating back to 2005

During this streak of bowl wins, 2 were in Detroit.

One common opponent:

BGSU lost 31-6 @ Michigan
Minnesota lost 52-10 vs Michigan

Minnesota beat EMU 25-6
BGSU didn't face conference foe EMU this season

Minnesota has won 6 straight bowl games, dating back 2015

Before this streak. they had lost 7 straight dating back to 2005

During this streak of bowl wins, 2 were in Detroit.

One common opponent:

BGSU lost 31-6 @ Michigan
Minnesota lost 52-10 vs Michigan

Minnesota beat EMU 25-6
BGSU didn't face conference foe EMU this season

Will do some looking, I'm no fan of betting the MAC in bowls either. This is one of those mistakes I made by waiting and missing 6, hard to see either of these teams missing significant pieces

Ugh BGSU played in it last year. Probably a hard pass. PJ has won every bowl game by more than the current spread. Sets up to be a terrible game so will probably end up 42-38 or so

I'm not sure what the Canes record is in cold weather bowl games but I'm sure its not good. Rutgers is an auto bet with the game in NYC.
Not to mention how depleted Miami will be with the portal stuff. Classic case of one motivated team and the other not so much. Coaching mismatch 101 to boot.

Minnesota will start 5th year QB Cole Kramer for the bowl game. He has a whopping 14 career pass attempts, eight were completed and two were intercepted.

Kailakmanis hit the portal.

Players out from VSiN;

Bowling Green:

RB Ta’Ron Keith (66 car, 390 yds, 4 TD; 44 rec, 457 yds, 3 TD - led team in rec)

CB Jalen Huskey (52 tkl, 6 pd, 4 INT, 1 FR - third in tackles, tied for lead in INT)

Minnesota:

QB Athan Kaliakmanis (53.1%, 1,838 yds, 14/9 TD/INT - only QB to complete a pass)

I'm not sure what the Canes record is in cold weather bowl games but I'm sure its not good. Rutgers is an auto bet with the game in NYC.
Jacurri brown at QB, who hasn’t wowed anyone with his accuracy and #2 receiver in portal. Hard to see Canes points unless they can hammer w run game or turnovers

Reactions: KJ
Jacurri brown at QB, who hasn’t wowed anyone with his accuracy and #2 receiver in portal. Hard to see Canes points unless they can hammer w run game or turnovers
Schiano just got extended til 2030 with almost 2 mil/yr raise as well. Rare case I think the team staying close to home can't wait to play the game.

That was the Sun Bowl in El paso, right? It immediately came to mind when I read the weather post
Yeah. I used to drive down and go to the Sun Bowl most every year 1985-2014. That was one of my favorites even though the game was a blow out.

Reactions: KJ
Back to B1G 16 games, I'm interested in NW/Utah. Willingham used to be the chairman in Bowl games, but suddenly he's lost 4 in a row. And off b2b Rose Bowls, are they really wanting to play NW?

Any thoughts @Two Utes ?

Yeah. I used to drive down and go to the Sun Bowl most every year 1985-2014. That was one of my favorites even though the game was a blow out.
Went when Iowa played ASU, was in college so didn't live here. Iowa is mom's team so we did the deed. Great event for El Paso, was still comfy back then paying some dude $40 to cab us into Juarez for an hour or so. Was the year Mich/Neb split the title. Watched those games in a hotel in El Paso.

Pretty cool stadium and obviously the main event of the year in that city.

Back to B1G 16 games, I'm interested in NW/Utah. Willingham used to be the chairman in Bowl games, but suddenly he's lost 4 in a row. And off b2b Rose Bowls, are they really wanting to play NW?

Any thoughts @Two Utes ?
Yes, they've dropped 4 straight. Rising getting hurt in the last two hasn't helped. They've also had more players sitting out bowl games than during previous years.

I can't imagine they are that motivated for this one but who knows? It will be Barnes last game as a Ute, maybe they rally and try to send him out with a win.

Yes, they've dropped 4 straight. Rising getting hurt in the last two hasn't helped. They've also had more players sitting out bowl games than during previous years.

I can't imagine they are that motivated for this one but who knows? It will be Barnes last game as a Ute, maybe they rally and try to send him out with a win.
That's quite the ringing endorsement lol

I don't know that it's a game worth betting but sure AF don't see Utes caring about being there

Brings up another great topic. Who of any of us weren't betting on football games at 19? These teams go to Vegas and are supposed to keep their heads on straight, I'm not sure how that works.

Are they supposed to pretend they aren't in Las Vegas? Couple all night benders by upper classmen, I think that's being a responsible human!

That's quite the ringing endorsement lol

I don't know that it's a game worth betting but sure AF don't see Utes caring about being there
Yeah, who knows? So many players don't seem to give a shit about these lower bowls now.

Yeah, who knows? So many players don't seem to give a shit about these lower bowls now.
Case study:

You're 21 and in Vegas for a week for a bowl game. Do you even show up to practice that week or are you in a penthouse suite doing the right thing?

I don't see a path to where I'm comfortable laying points with Minnesota

Minnesota is paying their 3rd string QB 30k from NIL to be the starting QB of the bowl. First 2 guys are out/portal, etc. The 3rd string was set to leave the team and get married in early December. Good for him, he's got maybe a quarter paid of the wedding and future divorce.

Minnesota is paying their 3rd string QB 30k from NIL to be the starting QB of the bowl. First 2 guys are out/portal, etc. The 3rd string was set to leave the team and get married in early December. Good for him, he's got maybe a quarter paid of the wedding and future divorce.
This is a great point. College education should require at least 3 credit hours of marriage financial management.

Hell that should be taught in pre school

Back